PM to join [The Pearl Diver's Inn] Fate or Coincidence? (Naeya)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

[The Pearl Diver's Inn] Fate or Coincidence? (Naeya)

Postby Sybel on October 15th, 2012, 6:25 pm

45th of Fall, 512 AV

It had taken little difficulty to find her way through the cobbled streets to the Inn and along the way Sybel admired the beautiful simplicity of the city. Maidens bearing pitchers paced somberly through lush gardens and hummed softly. Lilting voices intoned from every corner so quietly that they all fused into a low, melodic chorus. Every surface radiated an almost divine light. She smirked to see foreigners gaping openly at these aspects like uncivilized bumpkins. Tourists were the same the world over.

That being said, Sybel had a policy of keeping her hood up to avoid too much notice. With her golden skin and dark locks, she stood out like a beacon among the pale-skinned, fair haired denizens of Mura. That level of notoriety was unwanted. Strangers could be taken advantage of and if there was anything Sybel hated, it was feeling vulnerable.

Upon entering the Pearl Diver, it seemed rather depopulated. That was very typical of the fall. The weather was always mild on the Island but summer was the real attraction there. The ferries would run between Mura and the mainland day and night, and they practically raked in the coin in trade. The choice to travel off-season was intentional. When it was empty, Konti Island was a restive sort of place. It was a variation of home.

As she traveled up to her room, her eyes were on the ground and not in front of her as they should have been. It was hard to avoid melancholia given the state of her career. After having traveled to Syliras she’d realized with horror that it’d been a wasted trip. Her intention of opening a for-profit curio shop was quite impossible. The knights had it cozily set up in their favor. All proceeds from merchants went to their Order, and those merchants were compensated with a stipend. A stipend! It outraged her sense of laissez-faire. No matter how valuable or exotic the treasure she’d find, she’d be paid the same wage. It was no wonder then, that their commerce was skeletal.

Had she done her research instead of making assumptions, she’d have known all of this. Instead (once again) she rushed headlong into the idea. With no one to temper her impulsiveness with wisdom, she felt despondent.

That despondency still had her eyes memorizing the designs on the rug when she crashed straight on into another body.

“Oh!” Sybel exclaimed, bouncing into the nearest wall. Her stupidity was boundless it seemed. Peeling her face off a tapestry, she immediately turned to the person who she’d just collided with.

“I’m very sorry...”
Last edited by Sybel on October 31st, 2012, 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

"I am wild, full-blooded and a trifle reckless." - Ser Arthur Conan Doyle
Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 310247
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Naeya on October 16th, 2012, 2:49 am

The lock on Naeya's door gave a satisfying click as she turned the key swiftly to the side. Before heading down the hallway, she slipped the key, and the white ribbon it was attached to, safely around her neck and hid it below the green fabric of her dress. She'd picked up the ribbon cheaply, and it was a useful tool for keeping track of her room key. This proved especially true when she wore clothes that lacked such modern conveniences as pockets, which was the situation she found herself in today.

A second click, indicating either the closing or opening of another door, caused her to turn and come face-to-face with her scowling neighbour. "Hi, Mrs. Condor," Naeya said meekly, offering the thin, elderly woman a tentative smile. Mrs. Condor's scowl only deepened, and she tightened the silk scarf around her neck with purpose. Naeya then gave up all pretence of being polite, rolling her eyes at the gods above as the woman cleared the croaking toad from her throat and huffed her way down the hallway.

After staring idly at her doorknob for half a chime to avoid further spite, Naeya moved to walk in the same direction as the small, gray-haired woman. It seemed, however, that the unpleasantness of Mrs. Condor was like a disease. Once it manifested, it spread like wildfire. Just as Naeya turned to leave, she caught sight of Mrs. Condor walking straight into another figure who came from the opposite direction.

"What do you think you're doing!" the woman raged, ignoring the fact that the golden-skinned girl had been the one to bounce off and into the wall. Surprisingly, Mrs. Condor had barely moved an inch. Sturdier than she looks, I suppose. Probably because she put her shoulder straight into that poor girl.

"Sorry? I don't care if you're sorry!" Would the tirade never end? "You watch where you're going, you hear?" Naeya didn't think she'd ever heard the older woman speak that many words before.

As Mrs. Condor shook her head indignantly and began to hobble off, Naeya hurried up to the woman left behind. "Are you all right?" she asked, reaching out to grasp the woman's elbow in a gesture of solidarity. "If I know that old crone, she did that on purpose."

She gave the taller, dark-haired woman a small smile. "Mrs. Condor's been walking around this floor like she owns the place, ever since I got here. From what little I can gather, she's stayed here since the beginning of Fall. I guess she thinks that makes her better than everyone else, or something." She paused, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. "Or maybe she's just got a stick stuck permanently up her you-know-where."

Releasing the woman's elbow, she kept her hand out for a handshake."My name's Naeya, by the way. Are you staying here, too?"
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

Postby Sybel on October 16th, 2012, 2:09 pm

"What do you think you're doing!"

The voice from behind croaked, and as she turned to face the offended party she found herself face to face with an irate, wispy-haired old woman. Her throat closed to imprison a laugh. It was all she could do to contain herself. For all of her fragility, the angry senior had a mean set of lungs. The smile that threatened her cheeks was a grimace as she struggled to hold her tongue.

"Sorry? I don't care if you're sorry!"
With a great deal of effort, Sybel had the grace to at least look contrite. There was some adage somewhere in her past that said something about respecting the elderly. That vague idea was the only moral high ground she could really think of. Sybel reminded herself of this as the brief (yet vigorous) tongue-lashing came to it’s close.

"You watch where you're going, you hear?"

Unable to stifle it any longer, the sarcasm poured out of her. Sybel gave the woman a florid bow, bending deeply at the waist. “Of course, your Highness,” she intoned with vast insincerity. When the coast was clear and the woman was off, seemingly mollified, she rose and pushed her hood back to get a better look at the other party who was now in the mix.

"Are you all right?" the girl asked meekly and rested her hand on Sybel’s elbow. Her delicately webbed fingers were almost iridescent in the light, and the gentleness was a comfort. "If I know that old crone, she did that on purpose."

“I’m sure she did, my dear.” She gave the woman’s hand a small squeeze to return the gesture. “Self-importantly old ladies certainly can be trying.”

“Mrs. Condor's been walking around this floor like she owns the place, ever since I got here. From what little I can gather, she's stayed here since the beginning of fall. I guess she thinks that makes her better than everyone else, or something."

Sybel answered with the booming laughter that she’d previously held in, shaking her head. “The Queen of the Pearl Diver’s Inn. An honorary title for her Highness.” But the woman gave her a direct, almost conspiratorial look.

"Or maybe she's just got a stick stuck permanently up her you-know-where."

She officially liked this girl. "My name's Naeya, by the way,” the Konti asked as they shook hands. “Are you staying here, too?"

“I am indeed,” she grinned, the incline of her head indicating the door to the other side of the old woman. “Looks like she’s stuck between the two of us.”

“I’m Sybel, by the way.” She stretched languidly, at ease beside this mysterious Naeya.

“Would you like a pint? I can quickly store my belongings and we’ll be off. I insist. You are, after all, my neighbor.” She gave the woman a roguish wink.

“That and I’m fond of your freckles.”

“Wait here.” Confident her new friend would be immobilized by the off-hand remark, she deftly unlocked her room and unloaded all but her coin purse, which tinkled merrily at her waist. This night might pan out better than she’d thought.

After a few seconds of quick organization, she stepped back into the light of the hallway.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Naeya on October 18th, 2012, 12:35 am

An uncontrollable giggle made Naeya's shoulders convulse as her new acquaintance pointed out their room arrangements. Of course Mrs. Condor would have the one room between the two of them. The only consolation was that they were now unofficial partners-in-crime when it came to the older woman's wrath. Naeya never meant to be bothersome, of course, but she welcomed having someone to laugh about the whole situation with. Her new friend appeared to be perfect for the role.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," she responded, enjoying Sybel's candidness. A grin then widened her lips at the invitation, and she happily agreed. "I was actually just on my way down for a quick meal. I would love to join you for it. But-"

She was about to warn Sybel of her poor track record when it came to alcohol (not to mention her newfound hatred of hangovers), when the woman's offhand comment about freckles made her pause. While a faint blush began to spread over Naeya's cheeks, Sybel took the opportunity to escape momentarily to her room.

I suppose she might end up finding out the hard way.

Naeya lost herself in her thoughts as she waited for her new friend to return. The hazy memories of her tavern night in Syliras were completely fragmented, and she hadn't been bothered to piece them back together. In fact, she hadn't thought of that evening, and the blurred figures she met, since. Was the memory's appearance now, of all times, an omen of things to come?

She blinked out of her trance as Sybel stepped back into the hallway, raising her eyebrows in silent question as to whether the woman was ready. After recognizing Sybel's consent, Naeya stepped quietly alongside her and followed her down to the main floor.

As the two women entered the tavern, one of the Konti triplets (it took Naeya a moment to realize it was Acil) gave them a friendly wave from her seat with another customer. Naeya smiled in response, and then turned to her new friend. "Do you have a preference?" she asked. A number of sturdy tables surrounded the circular bar, their white wood bringing to mind a sense of elegance and serenity. Since the room itself was only half-full, they were left with quite a bit of selection.

Before Sybel could answer, Naeya spotted a table sitting empty right beside one of the front windows. Perfect. "How about there?" She pointed out her coveted spot, and immediately headed towards it. Everyone enjoyed a window seat, right?

Once they had settled themselves into their chairs, Naeya grinned wryly. "So! Let's get my all-consuming curiousity out of the way. What brings you to Mura?"
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on October 20th, 2012, 12:32 am

”It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Naeya had began, grinning. “I was actually just on my way down for a quick meal. I would love to join you for it. But –“

Her response was cut off with Sybel’s timely intervention on the Konti’s freckles. Sybel reflected that everything was working nicely as she gathered her things. When she re-emerged from her modest arrangements, her new friend swept her down the stairs and into the tavern.

”Do you have a preference?” Naeya had asked, but before she could even reply her companion already honed in on the best seat in the house. It seemed that this girl was not as timid as her appearance might lead one to believe. ”How about there?”

When they took their seats Sybel sat back, her preferred posture to lounge. Her cloak fell open to reveal her usual garb, only missing her careworn leather vest. She never felt shabby despite her modest choice in attire. Being a desert-dweller most of her life, she tended to err on the side of practicality.

”So! Let’s get my all-consuming curiosity out of the way. What brings you to Mura?”

“Well,” she began, her azure gaze distant, “other than the beautiful weather, I’m here on business.”

It was difficult for her to be transparent. Not having spoken with anyone for a bit had stifled her capacity for easy conversation. Clearing her throat, she continued.

“I’m an adventurer.” Yes, that was an easier tack. “I travel all over Mizahar looking into artifacts, hoping to find treasure in order to fund business ventures. I am a notorious haggler, a born trader and considered a scoundrel in certain circles.” She shot Naeya a wink. “It is my life’s goal to open a shop and negotiate heart-breaking prices.”

Tentatively she scrutinized the reaction of her newfound friend.

“And you? What are your hopes and dreams? I hope that’s not too candid an inquiry.”

Sybel saw opportunity in this interaction, but it was all too soon to tell. She could always tell whether or not she had the upper-hand in a business exchange, but her observational skills in the realm of socializing were somewhat limited.

A fresh looking Konti approached their table. “Hello and welcome to the Pearl Divers!” she chirped at them. “Can I get you something to eat or drink?”

“Yes,” she answered off-handedly, still sizing her counterpart up. “Two gold mizas worth of ale for my friend and I. Additionally whatever she would like to eat, on me as well.” Deftly she produced the two gold-rimmed coins.

“Assuming you’re hungry?”

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Naeya on November 5th, 2012, 11:15 pm

"An adventurer?"

Naeya's eyebrows shot up as she found herself unable to contain her interest. A million questions crowded into her mind, each one jostling for attention and the hedonistic satisfaction of receiving an answer. Where had Sybel travelled? What treasures had she found? What people had she met? Did she enjoy travel? Did she get lonely? Did she get homesick? Where was home?

Just who was this enchanting mystery of a woman?

She opened her lips to speak, but her complete and utter indecision as to the question she would first ask meant that she ended up staying silent for a tick with her jaw dropped. It was a look vaguely reminiscent of a stunned fish.

Realizing her mistake, she quickly snapped her mouth shut, but the damage had been done. Her new acquaintance had already moved on to a new question and answer period, and Naeya found herself in the awkward position of having to reply in a way that would deflect the conversation back to Sybel. After all, Naeya had already knew her own story. She would much rather discuss someone else's.

"My hopes and dreams! Oh my, you sure don't start with small talk." Naeya gave Sybel a wink that alluded to her teasing tone. "Right now, I hope to eat, drink, and be merry. But I have a distinct feeling you aren't talking about the short-term." Her companion was offered a small smile. "I suppose my dreams consist of sorting things out with my family and my training here in Mura," at this, she was intentionally unclear, "returning to Riverfall - my home - and opening my own jewelry business. That's, well... that's it. For now. I suppose."

She trailed off, shifted uncomfortably in her seat, and let out a short, self-conscious laugh. After saying them aloud, her hopes and dreams suddenly seemed simple - too simple. They had always been desires close to her heart, but they now made her feel insignificant in comparison to Sybel's worldiness. This was a woman who travelled to make her living, presumably alone. She was self-reliant, self-sufficient, and probably took on unimaginable dangers to recover the artifacts she spoke of. All the Konti had ever done was spend a season travelling from Riverfall to Mura - and she had fallen desperately homesick before she even reached Syliras!

At that moment, Naeya felt distinctly aware of her own naiveté.

Luckily, Acil approached the two women before Naeya could fall into the bottomless well of Self-Pity. "Oh, your friend's meals come with her roomSubtracted from ledger.," Acil responded to Sybel's offer. "Will it be the usual, Naeya?"

"Yes, that sounds lovely," Naeya responded, shaking herself out of her head. An afterthought occurred to her just as Acil turned to leave, and she reached out to lightly touch the Konti on the elbow. "Ah, and if it's all right with my kind benefactor here, I'd prefer a glass of wine to ale. Something to complement my supper, if you have it. I'll leave the choice up to you or your sister."

As Acil nodded and returned to the kitchen to relay each woman's order, Naeya pushed her earlier mood aside and recalled the questions she had wanted to ask Sybel. One query in particular had begun to stand out, and that was what she asked now.

"Thank you for your generousity, Sybel," she began, nodding her head appreciatively in her companion's direction. "Now, you must tell me. How does one even become an adventurer in the first place? What drew you to the profe- would you call it a profession?"
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on November 6th, 2012, 3:37 am

"An adventurer?" Naeya’s surprise was evident. It wasn’t all that common of a job title, Sybel had to admit. Sometimes it was difficult to perceive herself objectively. Travel had been the center of her life for so long, it seemed normal. What was truly amusing about the seer’s surprise however was how she gaped.

It was a solid few seconds before she realized herself, sealing her mouth shut. It was pleasant how her cheeks flushed a subtle shade of pink. Naeya wore sheepish well. ”My hopes and dreams! Oh my, you sure don't start with small talk." Her wink mirrored Sybel’s previous expression. A playful Konti, huh? After all Mura’s overarching formality it was a welcome change.

"Right now, I hope to eat, drink, and be merry. But I have a distinct feeling you aren't talking about the short-term." Laughing, Sybel shook her head. “Our short-term goals seem very much aligned,” she commented, still listening politely. "I suppose my dreams consist of sorting things out with my family and my training here in Mura, returning to Riverfall - my home - and opening my own jewelry business. That's, well... that's it. For now. I suppose." The generality did not go unnoticed, though she had no desire to pry. Naeya seemed distinctly dissatisfied with her list by the way she’d concluded it. The reasons why were a mystery, but who knew? If they became close she might find out.

"Jewelry business eh?" She remarked with pointed interest. "You gemcraft? Or do you just aspire to employ people who do?" There were two types of owners - those who were in it for the art, and those who were in it for the coin. Both were possible, but one almost always ranked above the other.

The waitress turned to her buoyantly. ”Oh, your friend's meals come with her room," she explained. Turning to her friend, she continued. "Will it be the usual, Naeya?"

"Yes, that sounds lovely," Naeya responded sweetly. What an easygoing individual she seemed. If the image she worked to present was even remotely true, they’d get on very well. She was a mystery – a Konti from Riverfall that was relaxed, open and somewhat michevious? It would be interesting to get to know her.

"Thank you for your generousity, Sybel," She began, clearly attempting to redirect the conversation. "Now, you must tell me. How does one even become an adventurer in the first place? What drew you to the profe- would you call it a profession?" Sybel laughed again, more lightly this time.

“Well I do. There’s not much else to call it, really. A lifestyle perhaps?” That was more accurate than the previous assessment. “It’s different for everyone of us, I suppose. Personally, I have a racial inclination toward wandering to begin with. Other than that, it’s hard to say.” Vagabonds were by far one of the most diverse sub-groups in the world. No two individuals were quite alike.

“I think it’s the background that really compels you. For example, I’d take a campsite in the middle of a forest filled with ravenous wolves before I’d settle down in Yahebah. We all have our hurdles.” When the waitress returned with their drinks, Sybel smiled graciously.

“To new friends.” She lifted her pewter tankard in salute. “Cheers.”

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Naeya on November 6th, 2012, 6:39 am

Naeya's eyes went straight to Sybel's as the woman asked about her interest in the jewelry business. She couldn't help but notice the connotation of social worth in her new companion's words (though, really, only a fool could have missed it). In some respects, she agreed. Jewelcrafting was a noble and beautiful art form, and Naeya, as well as most of the other jewelcrafters she knew, took much pride in bringing excellence to every piece she created. Simply employing others to make said pieces seemed to cheapen the profession, as Sybel appeared to imply.

Or perhaps it was purely a smart business move. Not everyone had the patience or the talent for the job, and the creation period could be a long and difficult process.

"I gemcraft," she affirmed. A telltale look of fantaticism appeared in her expression. "But trust me, you really don't want to get me started. I swear I'll talk your head off, so much so that you'll be dying to get back to dear Mrs. Condor."

And I'm sure that's no small feat.

As her companion moved on to answer Naeya's inquiry, Naeya found herself leaning forward on the table eagerly. She felt inexplicably drawn to Sybel, and imagined the endless stories that the woman could tell. It was as though each piece of information that Sybel provided opened a new door of mystery and possibility.

Well, mystery, possibility, and questions. Nothing but endless questions floated through Naeya's mind as she listened intently to her neighbour. Her friendly interrogation came in spurts, and she tried to sneak her questions in during Sybel's natural pauses (although narrowly missed interrupting her at least once).

"Racial inclination?" she repeated aloud. "I wasn't aware that all humans had a tendency towards being wanderers." Naeya had no knowledge of the Benshira, their customs, or their homeland. "If that's the case, it's a wonder that they - I mean, your people - managed to settle down long enough to build cities like Syliras or Zeltiva. Although, I supposed th- sorry, your people did build Endrykas. I hear it's a wandering city, of sorts."

When Sybel brought up Yahebah, Naeya's eyes widened. What was a Yahebah? And how horrible could it be that her brave new friend preferred ravenous wolves? Before she could ask, however, Acil returned with a mug of ale and a glass of white wine. Grabbing hold of the glass's stem, she raised it level to Sybel's and gave the woman a smile. "To new friends!" Naeya took a small sip of her wine before setting it lightly down on the table. Back to business, or, rather, friendship.

Her next questions were voiced hesitantly, as she couldn't be sure how willing Sybel was to speak of this time in her past.

"Yahebah? What is 'Yahebah'? And what..." She paused momentarily, unsure how to phrase the next part of her query. "What's so terrible about a Yahebah that you'd risk death before living in it?" Was that too blunt? "Oh goddess, I'm sorry if that was rude! I just can't fathom a forest of hungry wolves. Though, I suppose there are worse things." Her expression was disbelieving until she remembered Cyphrus' Glassbeaks, mere ticks later.

Yes. There were worse things.
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on November 6th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Before she even spoke, Sybel had her answer. Naeya’s reaction was near reverence. "I gemcraft," she replied. "But trust me, you really don't want to get me started. I swear I'll talk your head off, so much so that you'll be dying to get back to dear Mrs. Condor." There was that blatant re-direction again. Sybel noted how her friend wasn’t entirely comfortable talking about herself. There had to be some way to coax her into an easier mindset.

“Try me.” She said, taking a long heady drink of her ale.

As Sybel spoke about herself, Naeya seemed enraptured. Really, she didn’t feel as interesting as she was being portrayed, but there was no helping it. The Konti listened politely at her musings until her brow wrinkled, seeming somewhat perplexed.

"Racial inclination?" Naeya repeated, trying to decipher her meaning. "I wasn't aware that all humans had a tendency towards being wanderers." Sybel pondered this as she expanded the idea aloud. "If that's the case, it's a wonder that they - I mean, your people - managed to settle down long enough to build cities like Syliras or Zeltiva. Although, I supposed th- sorry, your people did build Endrykas. I hear it's a wandering city, of sorts."

“Well not all humans,” Sybel amended. “Just some of us, Benshira and Drykas specifically. Most human beings actually prefer stability. Us nomads are the exceptions, not the rule.”

The bit about her hometown seemed to puzzle Naeya further. Sybel smiled ruefully.

"Yahebah? What is 'Yahebah'? And what..." She frowned, searching for the end to the sentence. "What's so terrible about a Yahebah that you'd risk death before living in it?"

It was too much. She couldn’t help it, really. Sybel laughed uproariously. It hadn’t occurred to her to give background on the subject, though in retrospect it was obvious she should have. Naeya had called it “a Yahebah.” Inhaling deeply, she quieted herself. “I’m sorry…” She apologized profusely.

“I’m not laughing at you… I’ve just never heard anyone refer to it singularly. Yahebah is my home city, in the desert region of Eyktol. If you ever met some of my extended family, you’d avoid a Yahebah too.” It wasn’t entirely Sybel’s fault that she was so impossible. She liked to think it was genetic.

“Now then. What sort of training do seers undergo?” She asked with some fascination. “What is it like to have divine favor?”

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Naeya on November 8th, 2012, 1:35 am

"Try me," Sybel had offered, referring to the Konti's passion for jewelcrafting. In response, Naeya had smiled and briefly considered going along with the woman's social masochism. Most people found her monologues on gems and jewelry snore-inducing, but if this one thought she could handle it, well... who was she to deny her the pleasure?

And then Naeya had come to her senses. She had very few friends on the island; why needlessly reduce the numbers? "Perhaps another time, when our friendship is more solidified," she had replied self-deprecatingly. "No sense in scaring you off now, when we've only just met!"

I do hope there will be another time.

Now, her new friend had moved on to address Naeya's bucket of inquiries. "Ben-shee-rah." Naeya rolled the 'r' as she tested the word out on her tongue. She had known of the Drykas people previously, being from Riverfall, but this other group was completely foreign to her. Based on Sybel's words, she could assume that the Benshira were, like the Drykas or the Svefra, another segmented human faction.

What would it be like to be human and feel so separated from the rest of one's brothers and sisters? Naeya mused over this question, silently comparing the Konti race to humanity. Humans were strange creatures. They didn't seem to have one singular racial community. Sure, Naeya was Rivarian, but she had grown up knowing that the Konti homeland was Mura. Cities of Konti weren't divided and spread out across Mizahar, like the human cities.

Imagine, she thought, feeling so displaced that you need to separate yourself from the rest of your race with an entirely new name. Benshira. Svefra. Drykas. These were clear, man-made distinctions for a people who, when it came down to it, maybe weren't as different as they claimed. At least, they all seemed similar to her.

Sybel's roaring laughter broke her silence, and Naeya stared at her in embarrassed puzzlement. What had she said? She hadn't meant to be funny... She usually tried to treat death as a more serious subject. An awkward titter left her mouth as she waited for Sybel to calm. The wine glass found her lips once more.

Finally, the joke was explained and her own honest laughter joined Sybel's. At the same time, she found herself thinking, Mizahar is far bigger than I knew. Perhaps she ought to have paid more attention to her brief geography lessons in school...

"A city in the desert!" she exclaimed, tilting her head curiously. "That must be," what was the word she was looking for? Ah - "hot." Brilliant. "Well, I'm sure there's more to it than just being hot," she fumbled. "I'd love for you to tell me more about it sometime." Her interrogation was left off there, as she sensed the woman's avoidance of the subject and didn't want to seem too pushy. Perhaps a question for when they had both had more to drink.

Instead, Naeya turned back to Sybel's question to her. She was a bit surprised that she had been so easily identified as a Seer, though chalked it up to her friend spotting Avalis' lily on her right shoulderblade.

"Well, that's what I'm in the middle of sorting out," Naeya admitted. "My aunt has offered to help me with the process. From what I've been told, it involves plenty of study in fortune telling and meditation. I'm not sure if anyone's ever described Divination to you, but having a clear mind and knowing what to look for is vitally important."

Her tone became more serious when she considered Sybel's query regarding divine favour. "I'm incredibly thankful to Avalis. Every morning, I wake up and feel blessed. She's given me a gift that links me directly to her, and I see it as my duty to do all I can to learn how to use it properly." She paused, and glanced down at her glass. "That's not to say it's been easy. I've had some... trouble with it, in the past. I can't always control when it occurs or what I see." Naeya's eyes met Sybel's once more. "That's why I'm here, really. The last few years have been a bit difficult."

To say the least.
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes