Completed [The Dock] A Sailor and his Lute

Ricky watches his father play the lute, and learns a bit from his old man.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[The Dock] A Sailor and his Lute

Postby Ricky Maze on October 26th, 2012, 6:22 am

496 AV, 66th Spring Day

Upon the docks of Zeltiva sat a man and a boy, in the late warm afternoon of the warm salty air. The breeze provided a cool breath within itself to balance the warmth that blanketed the day, as music seem to come alive on the docks. Ricky sat gleefully as he listened to the sounds his father made, he pulled the strings in a manner that made the notes flow like the ocean. Bringing a sort of lively feel to the area, one that would make passerby's smile after hearing the savorous tune. Ricky's pa was not a professional when it came to the lute, "oh no! Far from it" his father would say. Ricky believed he was only being modest, for his pa was the most humble sailor he knew.

"Oi son. Get over here, there's plenty o' room for you to learn!" Ricky jumped up within an eager spirit, ready to learn what lesson his pa had to teach.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on November 27th, 2012, 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on October 27th, 2012, 11:52 pm

He sat on his pa's lap as the lute was brought around to his front. The sailor guiding his son's hand to the cords, and showing him how to strum.

Once Ricky watched real close, his eyes became fixated on the instrument. His father played some more notes in an attempt to demonstrate, then guided the boy's fingers onto different chords. Playing a few higher notes than before, which made Ricky giggle a bit. "Now you try son."

He let go of his valued treasure, to see what all he learned. Ricky places his fingers on a few seperate strings, but only managed to play a dead crows tune when he strummed. His pa only laughed, as he helped his son out just a little. "Press lightly Ricky, the strings can't make music if their being chocked." His father grinned, letting Ricky attempt a second time.

When he strummed the lute once more, a simple note played out only for a moment. "That's a start there, keep at it son." His father encouraged, Ricky smiled as he attempted several more strums, his simple notes slowly coming together to form a tune.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on October 30th, 2012, 9:48 pm

After some few stums were pulled, Ricky was beginning to pull a tune. He slid his had up and down like his father, making music that was rather odd in comparison. His father only laughed, taking control of the instrument once more.

"Very good son, your learning well." He whispered in Rickys ear, his prickly beard tickling Ricky. He was pleased with his sons prowess, now he was going to show him more. His fingers began to move in formation as he press the strings, almost as if they were dancing as he strummed.

The music came alive once more, filling the docks with joyous energy. It washed over like the recurring ocean tides, make some people glance with smiles on their faces. It was odd to Ricky how they would just look and then look away, but he didn't care about it; his focus was to watch and learn.

His dad kept the playing coming, and began to hum a little and whistle with the tune he kept playing.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on October 31st, 2012, 7:13 am

With the tune now becoming slightly slower and somewhat lower, the mood in the air became different. Ricky could feel a sentimental emotion tied to it, but said nothing as his father finally started to sing. His feelings were felt very clear in not just the music, but inside his heart as well.

"Hey there dear, how are ye'?
I'm doin fine, just me son and me.
This road I be walkin is rather old, but without ye' I still feel cold.
The way we kept warm, was best in the storm!
Little did I know, twas fo' show, something to form!"

Ricky giggled at the last part, not really sure what his pa meant he had an general idea suggesting it was involving him. He father grinned as he continued playing.

"Ye' should see our sprout, he's gotten real tall!
Even looks like me, head hair and all!
But just like ye', soul is he, heart o' pure gold!
Heart o' pure gold!"

Several people clapped as he finished strumming, kissing Ricky on the side of head as he waved. The audience decided to go about their business once more, as Ricky whispered softly in his pa's ear. "I love ya pa!" With a smile his dad whispered back, "love ye too son."

He turned Ricky back to the lute, placing Ricky's finger on the three strings closer to him. His hand near the mid high section of the neck, his father began instructing Ricky step by step.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on November 4th, 2012, 4:58 am

"What are the notes called?" Ricky asked as his pa positioned his son's hand, a chuckle could be heard coming from his old man. "I couldn't tell ya really. I learned to play by ear son, the same way your learnin' right now." He rubbed his hand into Ricky's hair, taking his son's right hand and guiding his thumb as it stroke the chords once more.

The short note that played out sounded like it could be lively, but wasn't able to carry out long enough for Ricky to decide. "Ya know I'm gonna teach ya the first song I ever learned, so that you too can practice and learn on your own time." He said with enthusiasm as Ricky smiled, his pa took his left hand and guided it with instruction.

"Start here, then change it to here, then once more back here, and finish with this." Ricky's hand hurt a bit as his fingers were stretched out a bit at a couple of positions, but he remembered the points his father showed him where as his fingers went. It was a basic way to begin, and Ricky eagerly followed through with his instruction. He strummed the lute as he changed the order of his fingers, their positions on different strings each time in the middle of the neck.

Dee. Da. Du. Dummm. Dee. Da. Doo. Doom.

"Ye've got the idea son, keep at it now." His? father encouraged, Ricky nodded as he focused once more.

Dee da. Du dummm. De Da. Doo Doom...

As he tried again the notes hummed in his mind, coming together as Ricky began to piece together the tune. "That's it. Feel it from yer heart son, that's where music comes from." He whispered in Ricky's ear with a grin, Ricky then began to feel proud to be catching on with his father's lessons. He loved it so much when he made his father happy, because it made Ricky happy. Growing up to be like his dad was what he wanted, nothing else but that was all he could hope for.

Focusing on tapping within that tune once more he searched for his inner muse, trying again to pull together the notes.

Dee da du. Dummm. De. Da do doom.

'Almost had it' he thought as he slightly frowned, his focus now mainly on the tune. He knew the strings pretty well already, seeing as the order almost the same, it was just chaining together the notes they gave off. Once more he tried, pretty sure he would get it this time.

Dee da du dummm. De da doo doomm.

That's it! The chaining of the strings as he strummed finally pulled together a tune he felt was right. His dad chuckled as he watched in silence.

Dee da du dummm, de da doo doomm.

That was it! That was it!! The tune he could feel in his heart, he managed to pull it out and make music!
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on November 4th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Ricky played it so well although it was just a beginner's song, his dad applauding him with a proud look. Ricky smiled as he could tell his father was happy. Happy and proud to have Ricky with him there, happy and proud to teach everything he's learned in life on to someone else. Ricky loved his dad so much, and his dad loved him back. Even more he would state, which would lead to an argument of nuh uh's and more than this. Times were hard for his pa, but Ricky only knew them as simple. His pa had a lot to teach still, stuff more important than learning the lute. All of it in good time though, as Ricky was still young.

Taking control of the lute once again, his pa began to play once more; filling the docks with the same lively music as before. Ricky sat on his lap, watching his fathers hand's move up and down the neck, pressing the chords down in different formations that made them practically dance.

He took it to heart when he learned the tune, even more so when he played it out. Going ovet the notes in his head once more, he smiled as he could hear the song play out in his imagination. Today was a fun day, full of music and love. With that Ricky smiled even wider, enjoying the music his pa created as he swayed back and forth.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Echelon on November 10th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is its own reward.
Ricky's Loot :
Ricky Maze

Skill XP Reward
Observation +1XP
Instrument: Lute +3XP
Singing +1XP

Lore:
Ocean's Song
Encouraging Family
Sound of a Well Played Lute
Challenges of The Lute
Father's Presence: Prickly Beard
Lyrics: Heart o'Gold
Learning by Ear
Guided By The Muses
Happy Childhood

Items or Consequences:
None

Notes: Singing from just being exposed to it as a child.

(When I first looked at this thread I rolled my eyes and thought to myself "oh, no! this is going to be so short it'll be a total waste of time." I joyously pronounce that was not the case. This was a beautiful excerpt of Ricky's childhood, and though it seems so mundane it is actually an exceptional childhood for a Mizahar[...ian?] child. Most are beaten or neglected, at least it seems that way looking at most character back stories. I'm glad to see a happy childhood amongst all the darkness of our post apocalyptic world. So onto others concerns.
Why does Ricky know any Nari?
Where is Ricky's upkeep for the last few seasons? Wages and expenses?) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook