Devotion: A Crucible Story (Sevris)

Sevris begins the day as any other, but it soon takes an unexpected twist.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Verilian on January 24th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Even with the fire the night was still bitter and cold. Without any clothing it was hard to stay warm. One side of him would face the flames while the other froze. Not literally, it wasn't that cold, but it would certainly make sleep uncomfortable, if not impossible. That was assuming he even tried to sleep. The sound of the forest came alive around him. Strange sounds that were never heard in the city. It was hard to tell if they were friendly, or the sounds of predators. Food would be a problem, but for the night he at least had the berries. They were sweet and ripe, and quickly filled his belly. At least he had that, if nothing else.

As the night wore on, Sevris found it impossible to sleep. He found himself jumping at every sound. His paranoia grew with every passing bell, and soon he began to see shadows moving around the edge of his camp, though real or imagined he could not be sure. Any time he sought to investigate he would find only empty darkness. Whatever it was, it did not want to be found, but luckily, neither did it seem ready to approach him. The night passed slowly, but finally the suns rays began to shine down onto the forest around him. The birds began to sing once more, and soon it would warm up enough that Sevris could stray from the fire without shivering to his very core.

Any attempts he made at hunting that day were a failure. There were animals in the forest, but he could never seem to catch one. And none of them fell for any traps he might have laid. Even hunters would have had a hard time catching something with only an old dagger, so Sevris found his chances very slim. Luckily there were plenty of berries in the area, and while they were lacking in protein, they still gave him the energy he needed to keep moving.

His paranoia never faltered, however. Something was out there, and it was watching him. Every time he tried to find it, however, it was gone. Nothing was there. It was almost as if he was being haunted. By the time the sun started to set once more, Sevris could not shake the feeling that he was being watched. Constantly he would see movement out of the corner of his eye, but still he could not catch a good look at whatever it was. Always it would vanish before he reached it. As he started his fire once more, a much easier task since he already had warm embers to work with, he heard something in the bushes behind him. A branch snapped. It was the first time he actually heard the creature. He wasn't just seeing things. A branch snapped! ..but what would he do? With only a dagger, would he risk venturing into the twilight to find the creature, or wait at the fire for it to come to him?
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Sevris on February 13th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Sevris Lazarin was raised by the Ebonstryfe ever since birth. Even though he had never been in a situation such as this before. His training always taught him something. Always avoid doing foolish things in battle. Sevris had no way of knowing what prowled the area around him. Stalking him it seemed as the sound it made came closer and closer.

He would wait for the creature step forward where he had the protection of the fire and so that he could at least see something with the light it gave off. "Venture forward beast, at your own peril."

He said what he could at the moment he did not believe he could actually fend anything big off with this dagger and no armor. He grabbed a burning log that had only started at one end. He held it up with the dagger in his other hand. He was ready for whatever lay ahead if ti decided to step into the light.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Words: 187865
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on February 19th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Sevris could hear more branches breaking and more twigs snapping. The noises were coming from all around him. He could see things moving in the shadows, though he could not make out their shape or form. They were fast, incredibly fast, flashing by and gone before he had a chance to turn and look. And the sounds they were making.. it was like something out of a nightmare. It cut deep into his core, pulling at his soulstrings, enhancing his paranoia more and more. And he was practically defenseless, with nothing but an old dagger and a flickering log to protect himself. Even the fire seemed to be taunting him as it danced and swayed, threatening to go out in one moment and flaring back to life in the next.

Sevris heard more sounds, though these were different than before. Twigs broke, and he could hear the crunch of feet, though they did not sound like what he might expect an animal to sound like. They were the hard, booted steps of a person. His focus was drawn to the treeline, where the booted steps were coming from. There was a pause, silence, after he spoke, inviting the beast into his camp, and then out stepped a young woman. She had long, dark hair tied into a pony tail, and was clad in the gear of a hunter, with a bow slung over her shoulder. Her weapons were not drawn, and she did not initially appear threatening.

"Well, I don't know if I'd call myself a beast, considering you are the one naked with a stick and a knife. ..what are you doing out here, and where are your clothes?"

The woman held her hands up, trying to appear nonthreatening as she took another step forward. She did not seem dangerous, but Sevris could not shake the paranoid feeling. The shadows were still dancing around him, and when she wasn't speaking he still heard the noises coming from whatever feral creatures lurked just beyond the light of the fire.

"Here, take my cloak," the strange offered as she set her bow on the ground and pulled the outer garment off, stretching out a hand to offer it to the naked man.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on February 20th, 2013, 2:05 pm

It was a hard pressed moment for the young Lazarin. Here he was slowly freezing and starving to death, wondering what creature wanted to tangle with a desperate man. To his complete surprise, a woman stepped out instead to greet him saying, "Well, I don't know if I'd call myself a beast, considering you are the one naked with a stick and a knife. ..what are you doing out here, and where are your clothes?"

Sevris wanted to answer, but was to shocked by the sudden appearance of the hunter. She came to him in an unthreatening manner, putting up her hands as if to show mercy. "Here, take my cloak." She took off a cloak and handed it to Sevris.

The man had seen his share of sorcery before. Whenever a Paladin did make his return to the city, they would share of the dark sorcery in the world. This hunter came at such an opportune time. Was this the work of Rhysol protecting him?

It seemed unlikely but he was freezing nevertheless. And the cloak seemed mighty enticing. But he had to be sure, it was the most intelligent way not to die. "I am here, because I am a devote follower of Rhysol. His will has brought me here. What say you?"

Still cautious, Sevris did not let his guard down instead of taking the cloak. He would not take it just yet.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on February 25th, 2013, 8:14 pm

"Rhysol?"

The woman frowned in confusion, and withdrew her arm. Was she put off by his devotion? She did not make any moves to threaten him, however, nor did she move to leave. Maybe she just got tired of holding the heavy cloak out.

"Long way from home, aren't you? You're from Ravok, am I right? I can tell by the accent."

The woman did not seem to notice the dancing shadows all around them, nor did she pay any heed to the strange noises. Instead she took a few steps closer to Sevris and extended her hand again, offering the cloak.

"Unless Rhysol's will is for you to freeze naked in the forest, I suggest you put this on. What sort of mission brings you out into the wilderness butt naked anyway? I mean.. I've heard rumors about you Ravokian's, but never came across one like this."
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on February 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Sevris was evidently freezing from the elements. His frost white hair matched with the snow around him but offered him no solace. However there was a strange woman in the middle of no where offering him the only warm garment in vicinity.

But as he felt every urge to bring his hand forward to take the cloth. The strange noises and shadows could not be ignored. Something was off, Sevris couldn't exactly understand why. So he withheld the urge still.

The woman aimed to know more about his being there. His eyebrows arched upward inquisitively as he replied, "Lets just say your guess is as good as mine. Nothing is revealed, not easily anyways."

He couldn't shake the feeling, that something was watching him still. Oblivious to the woman in front of him, Sevris felt that it only had eyes for him. But he did not take the cloak. She was suspicious until proven otherwise. "And yes us Ravokian's may seem strange. Because we serve but only one purpose, for a greater being.

"But what are you?" Sevris asked with some venom in his voice. He wanted answers quickly before the cold overcame him.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on March 6th, 2013, 4:05 pm

"What I am is the only thing offering you a way to stop your petcher from freezing off, but if you'd rather trust yourself to frostbite than to me, that's none of my business."

The woman withdrew the cloak, throwing it back around her shoulders. She glanced around the campsite, noticing the way Sevris was looking around, but could not spot anything out of the order. That is, until she noticed the dark red stains on his fingers. Something clicked in her mind, and suddenly she realized why the man seemed so untrusting.

"We're not alone, are we? You're seeing things in the shadows, right? I've seen them too."

She knew exactly what Sevris was seeing, but she knew he wouldn't believe her if she told him. Not now, anyway. But she knew if he continued along his course, along with the hypothermia that would set in before long, it was going to become much worse for him. She had to play the game, because she knew it was the best way to get him to cooperate. The woman drew her sword and tossed it to him, a longsword, but well made.

"I hope you know how to use that," she said as she pulled out her bow and nocked an arrow. "Hopefully you won't have to though. My names Liandra. I'm from Nyka, originally. I suggest you come with me, unless you want to be caught out here alone. I know a safe place, so keep quiet and follow."

After that, Liandra took off into the forest. She didn't know if Sevris would follow or not, but frankly, she didn't care all that much. Giving him the sword was a risky move, but she was confident that she could deal with him if she had too. She ran through the forest at a rapid pace, easily traversing the terrain that a less experienced person would likely find difficult. Eventually, she arrived at a cave. There was a campfire burning low just outside. It was her cave, or at least, it was where she had been staying. If Sevris followed her, she would invite him inside.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on March 7th, 2013, 8:29 am

It seemed that after the woman, now going by Liandra, was out of the question. He had had his doubts about her but the longsword laying in front of him was a present he could use. If she did betray him. He could always cut arms off. He bent down and brushed the cold snow off the blade. Exchanging the makeshift torch for the sword. He was proficient in double blades, one wouldn't be a problem.

His snowy hair ruffled slightly with a breeze that made the young Lazarin aware that he was still in the cold. With a shrug of his shoulder he took off after Liandra. Being sure to follow the obvious tracks she left behind for him. However the speed it took him to traverse some of the obstacles in front of him was burdening.

He was not used to going through such physical limitations before. But he went on anyways. Taking extra care as not to injure his already brittle red body. The shivering returned almost immediately after he left the fire.

He came upon a cave with light flickering inside. Fire! He walked in and asked with his voice raised slightly so that it could carry, "Mind if I join you?" He held his hands up in surrendering position as he came into view.

She gave him a nod before looking at him and cracking a smile at his absent-mindedness. Forgetting he was still naked, he put his hands back down covering his private area's. "I think I'll have that cloth now."
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on April 8th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Sevris was given the cloak, and the woman commented that though none of her other clothing would likely fit him, he was welcome to try them on. She had an extra pair of shirt, boots, and pants, but all for a woman of smaller size than Sevris. Even the cloak was likely a tight fit, but it would help to warm him, if nothing at all. It took less than half a bell to get the fire raging again, and Sevris was able to fight off the chill air. His body stopped shivering, though he still could not shake the sense of paranoia he felt. The relative safety of the cave, however, helped to ease his troubled mind.

"The night is gonna be hard for you," Liandra commented after Sevris had taken a few chimes to get himself comfortable. "The cold will be the least of your concerns, soon enough. Try to stay here, in the cave, if you can. Don't venture off."

After a while Liandra went to bed. She, unfortunately, did not have any spare bedrolls or blankets, so Sevris would have to make do with what he had. Not that he would be sleeping much that night. Shortly after the woman dozed off the strange sounds returned. The shadows deeper in the cave seemed to come to life. Even the fire seemed to dance oddly about, making the shadows come to life. Sevris could see eyes peering back at him from within the cave. Outside, the forest seemed alive as well.

A bell passed, and Sevris began feeling sick to his stomach. It grew worse and worse, and soon enough he was forced to find a place to relieve himself. The berries he'd eaten before came wretching up, and they too seemed to have an evil look about them. And then Sevris heard it, a terrifying roar, louder than anything he had ever heard before. When he turned to look back at the cave he saw the beast, a great monster with a pale white face. It hissed and growled at him, and slowly approached. He could tell by the look of it's eyes it intended to make him it's next meal. The sword? Had he brought the sword with him!? He had.. somehow, in his daze, Sevris still thought to carry his weapon. The beast was coming at him, razor fangs ready to tear out his thread. Sevris would have to defend himself.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on April 8th, 2013, 5:23 pm

The Lazarin was not exactly calmed, because he had never trained to fight a creature such as this before. This beast was a monster and it looked to make him his next meal. "Liandra wake yourself we under attack!" The beast however had it out for him. With its amazing speed it charged forward, hungry for his blood.

All of a sudden a strange flashback occurred in his head as he saw a running Dolath. Instantly he dove to the side as the great beast pounced where he was just standing. The thing roared at Sevris in its beastly tone, it was a terrible roar. The Apprentice beside himself with fear and testosterone, he pushed his fear to the side and gave the monster a retaliative roar back.

The beast did not stop his assault and came after him again. It closed the very short distance between it and the Lazarin. Sevris brought his sword up to defend himself. But this beast was not something you could fight with just brawn. It was obviously stronger then he was. He looked to the side and saw that there was a slight elevation of rocks beside him. The beast only a few feet away dove at him baring his fangs.

Sevris already in motion used his foot to step on top of the rocks. He pushed as hard as he could upwards. He propelled himself in the air as the beast came crashing down again where he was just at. He however wasn't exactly an acrobat and came crashing down on top of the beast. His blade was still in hands and he rolled off the back of the beast to the ground.

The monster got back up and turned around furious and discombobulated. Sevris quickly got back up on his feet and plunged his sword into the beasts chest before it got time to recover and attack him again. He knew not if it would kill it but he hoped it would. Rhysol save me.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

PreviousNext