Solo Seeing the aura

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Seeing the aura

Postby Coren on November 1st, 2012, 9:45 pm

37th

Coren didn't pay any mind to the howling winds and the pattering of hail against the windows as was bent over his books and scrolls of parchment. Coren was actually quite gratefull for the heavy blizzard locking everybody inside, no people who could disturb him, no sudden events, just him and his magical studies without any possible interruptions at all. He turned the page of the animation book and grasped for another sheet of parchment to continue his notes, only to grasp thin air instead of the familiar feel of parchment. When he looked to his annoyance it wasn't just that he had misjudged the distance, but that yes he had just run out of parchment.
“Oh for morwen's sake.” he muttered underneath his breath as he marked the page before closing the book. “Of all times to run out of parchment it has to be today of all days!” He groused, giving a look out of the window, scowling even more as he saw the whirlwind of snow and ice. Walking through the storm wasn't something that was possible, besides he doubted the shop would be open anyway in this weather.

He let his gaze fall over the projects stashed in his home, he wasn't able to start another animation project with the things he had here, nothing that was able to be used as a shell. He just sat down on the bed, discarding the thoughts of training projection and shielding, he was already reasonably competent, and he wanted to brush up his weakness before working on the things he was already competent at, better a jack of all trades master of none then a master of one with a huge amount of holes in the rest of his skills.
That just left auristic's for him to practice with, something he honestly needed a lot of work with. He looked around the room for something he could practice reading the aura from. He dug around in his pockets, taking out one of the flasks of ink sitting inside it. And held it up in front of him, it wasn't much but this would have to do. He made himself a bit more comfortable on the bed and laid both of his hands on his lap, letting the vail rest in his hand.

He took a deep breath and concentrated on the pool of djed that lurked in his soul and willed it to flow towards his head and eyes, as he did he slowly began seeing faint lines and colors surrounding the vial. Coren took another deep breath to calm himself down and he slowly began pouring slight amounts of djed into his head to get a sharper image of the aura surrounding the vial before he was going to try and get some actual information out of the aura.
The aura slowly strengthened in his vision, from a barely noticeable waver that flickered in and out his vision to a semisolid unmoving layer that surrounded the entirety of the container, barely reaching more then half a centimeter beyond its boundaries. He now focused on the aura, trying to disconcert some basic things about it.

At first, it was obvious the thing he was holding was lifeless and dead, the aura was a monochrome gray and completely still, very much unlike the aura of a living being, who while differing in size depending on their sentience, not intelligence, could stretch up to a foot away from the actual being.
Then slowly he began to know things the longer he looked at the aura he began to... know things of it, slowly and some of the information was just hacked beyond understanding, as if he was reading a book in a language he didn't know very well. From what he could make out of the aura, the vial was about 5cm wide at the bottom of his base and narrowed to a neck of around a centimeter, something his eyes more or less confirmed, he also got something about the temperature, but that information was garbled beyond any comprehension in his mind.

He tried to calm himself down and gave focused on the garbled piece of information in his mind. He breathed slowly and rhythmically to try and remove the other things but the information gained from the aura from his mind to give it his full attention. He didn't know how long he spent trying to clear the noise from the aura he was seeing, but what he did know that even when giving it his best efforts the scrambled info just stayed scrambled and a slow pounding slowly began to grown in the back of his head, at first he didn't head it any mind, he wanted to clear up the connection, not because of the information that was mundane, but because he wanted to improve his skill, he wanted to know that the next time he used this ability to get his hands on some information the skill wouldn't fail him.
Only when a low and faint screeching noise began to embed itself in his mind he loosened his grasp on his djed and cut himself of from the grabbing his head in pain from the pounding headache that had developed.
He slowly stood up and cradeled his head in his hands, feeling something akin to a fever. He let out an annoyed growl at his own stupidity as the facts suddenly became clear, the pounding, the screeching that still filled his ears and the slight fever that had developed. Mild overgiving.
He looked around the room, noticing that the faint evening sunlight that fell through the window had been replaced by the black of the late evening. He let out another sigh, he hoped that a night of sleep would cure this problem, otherwise he would have to see the whitevines about this, hopefully they had a cure for it.
He put the vial back into its place and began to wrestle himself out of his coat, hanging it over his chair after he was done and crawled into bed, miserably curling himself up in the thick sheets and he tried to get some sleep dispite the screeching in his ears and the pounding in his head.

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"
"Me speaking nader canoch!"

Real life is kicking me in the can at the moment. posting is delayed. sorry for the inconvienience.
Coren
journeyman mage

Words: 294771
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Guest Storyteller (1)

Seeing the aura

Postby Valkyrie on November 5th, 2012, 12:48 am

Coren :
Experience
2 Auristics
1 Meditation

Lore
Working On Your Weakest Skill
Staring at an Aura for Too Long
Getting Information From the Aura of an Ink Vial

Other
Overgiving Effect: Headache 3 Days

Notes: This was a rather short solo so there wasn’t much I could give. You also seemed to go about your task a little too easily for my taste so I gave you a wee bit longer overgiving effect. Objects are a bit harder to see the auras of at lower levels since living beings have more ‘vibrant’ auras so to speak.

You Will Be Collected if Worthy
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)