Completed [Sacred Arch Hotsprings]Magical steam, anyone?

While relaxing in the hotsprings, Crypt encounters someone... strange.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[Sacred Arch Hotsprings]Magical steam, anyone?

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 10:30 am

57th of Fall, 512 AV (The eighteenth chime)

Crypt sank into the steaming water of the Hotsprings, sighing in relief as the therapeutic waters covered the lower half (And a little of the top) with its soothing embrace. It was the first time he had experienced such a hotspring, and he had come woefully unprepared. Quite luckily, a friendly citizen of Syliras had kindly given him towels with which to cover his... naughty bits, and given him advice on how to fully enjoy the hotsprings. Crypt then located a secluded area, proceeded to strip behind some trees, tie the towel around his waist and gingerly step inside the waters.

He closed his eyes, breathing in the warm steam that constantly emerged from the waters. After a few minutes, he decided to do some reading, of which he had been wanting to badly ever since his visit to the strange old man's bookstore but had been unable to.

Let's see... Ah yes, the Flux and Me. Quite an odd title, but from what I've glimpsed of this, this should complete my basic education from dear old uncle Escarvon.

He opened to the first few pages, taking especial care not to expose the book to the water. It would not do for the ink to dissolve and waste all his mizas.

The Flux is a discipline in magic, more specifically personal magic, involving the manipulation of Djed in one's body. By concentrating the flow of Djed in a specific part of the body, the strength, toughness and flexibility can thus be enhanced. However, if one is not careful, over-giving will occur, especially for an amateur Flux user, and if it is too serious, death will occur. For signs and symptoms of over-giving when using the Flux, please refer to chapter 2: Taking care of your body.

Some minutes later, Crypt had arrived at the chapter which detailed the basic channeling and redirecting of Djed.

... And people that have learnt Glyphing can utilise their own personal Focus glyph and draw it on whatever parts they wish to enhance. This will facilitate the process of redirecting Djed to that area, enabling one to activate and use the effects of the Flux much faster. Enclosed is a sample Focus glyph created by one Azardius Memot.

Crypt squinted at the simple diagram through the steam. It appeared to be a simple circle inside a decagon, with lines radiating from the vertices of the regular polygon and converging at the centre of the circle.

How the hell does one simple drawing focus my Djed? I've... I've heard of this before. This glyphing... Was it drawing some strange symbols on a sheet of paper? Yes, I remember seeing a bard drawing a longsword from a piece of parchment... Would that be the same art as this... glyph thing? May as well try it out.

Crypt placed the book on the dry ground, safe from the hotspring, and then lifted himself out. He dried himself with another towel and made his way to the pile of clothes he had left some distance away.

Once clothed and dry (And feeling rather relaxed too; the waters had done him much good), he sat down and pulled out his quill and a bottle of ink. Opening the book to the page with the glyph, Crypt dipped the quill in the ink and started to draw the curious amalgamation of shapes slowly on a piece of parchment, pausing every now and then to refer to the diagram.

It took quite a few tries though, for he was inexperienced in such matters. After wasting five sheets of parchment, he finally suceeded in producing a facsimile of the glyph. He stared at it blankly, not knowing how to proceed next.

Well, turns out I'm not the genius I've never thought myself to be. Surprise, surprise.
Last edited by Crypt on November 8th, 2012, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 3rd, 2012, 9:01 pm

Fire... Heat... It was one constant in Clyde's life. Something that had always calmed him, reminding him of simpler times in his youth, working on his reimancy, experimenting and growing in his use of djed... He would always be fond of the substance, ever since it had been his first element of reimancy... His first chance to be different, and better himself over the general rabble of citizens.

Since then he had progressed far beyond his simple first castings of his young magic, and grown into quite the strong mage... But even he sometimes needed time to relax, and sooth himself... And why not do it in a way that involved heat and warmth, which reminded him of happiness...

So Clyde had decided on this day, to come to the hot springs, and have a break. Just him an Rye, and his staff, tapping along as he walked to it... Relaxing already just being by himself and away from others, with the feel of his staff familiar in his grip...

Putting aside his things, he looked around to see he was not alone... Someone else was enjoying the hot springs... Clyde simply went to the edge of the trees, and set down his stuff, telling Rye to "stay." He was a good guard dog, and would make sure no one touched his stuff while he was gone, and would make sure to bark if someone tried to mess with him, calling his master back.

With a bit of a sigh, he set aside his staff, knowing it would be odd in the water to bring it... But he did not often like being parted from it, even for a short while, when it was such a mainstay in his life... But he did, knowing Rye would look out for his stuff, he was a loyal dog...

Stripping down, he walked up to the edge of the water with only his robes on, and then set them aside and folded them neatly, before stepping into the waters unashamedly nude.

He quickly eased himself into the hot waters, letting out a small sigh, before sinking in up to his armpits, propping his arms up on the edge of the spring.

Clyde looked over only now, to see the other person in the waters, to see he was oddly enough reading a book... Which was a rather odd thing to do really, what if it got wet? But he supposed he felt safe here, since the accursed knights kept it in their regular patrol.

The Flux and Me. That was the title of the book... Perhaps before he met his student Gallo, he would not have recognized that as a magic art, as often he knew little of the magics he did not practice... But know he did, and wondered why someone would be stupid and brazen enough to study a magic book, right out in public. Did he want to get carted off by the knights, who would become enraged at even the simplest display of magic?

However after reading for a bit, he got back out of the water, and dried and dressed, setting aside his book.

Clyde simply sat in the water, wondering what this persons game was... Reading on magic out in public... He simply waited for him to come back, but wondered really what his deal was. Was he that powerful of a mage that he did not fear getting in trouble, like Clyde? Though if he was that strong would he really be reading a book on magic? Unless he had a different magic which he was better at, besides flux... Or maybe he was a mage knight, though he did not really look the type... He would have to figure it out when he came back.
Last edited by Clyde Sullins on November 3rd, 2012, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

OOCEr, Crypt did take his book with him, otherwise how he refer to the book? I'm going to assume that Clyde either followed Crypt, but stayed back far enough to prevent Crypt from being able to sense or see, or Clyde stayed at the hotsprings.

Crypt continued to stare at the diagram on the piece of parchment, totally confounded by the simple diagram. He was not making any headway at all.

What do I do, what do I do... I can't draw it on my body, since the surface's too uneven for me to draw it without sufficient practice. Let's try this then. I'll place the glyph - what the book called it - on my left wrist and I'll try channeling Djed to my left arm.

Crypt did so and closed his eyes, feeling and grasping the Djed within him after a few seconds. He guided a slow flow of small amounts of Djed from his right arm, carefully moving it towards his left arm, where it sank into the ligaments, tendons and finally muscles, just like what he had been practising for quite a few weeks now. And... nothing.

Nothing? Oh my goodness. It took the same amount of time as before! I used the slower process as I knew that with a longer time taken to complete, the focus glyph most probably reducing the time taken by a small percentage at most, and as such would be able to sense the difference. But no! Absolutely no damn difference at all! Aargh!

Crypt waved his arm around, holding the parchment to his arm, scowling as he felt no discernable increase in anything at all.

He touched his right hand to his Flux-enhanced arm, sensing the Djed within. It felt the same way (Again, thought Crypt) as it had been last time during practice; the Djed was shifting as always inside the muscles from one end to the other, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. However, with his novice-level Auristics, he would have better luck than right now. Crypt stopped expending the miniscule amount of Djed he was using in focusing on his Djed. He allowed the Djed to flow back to his right arm, and flexed his left, which was starting to feel a little sore.

If nothing else, at least I'm getting some practice. Shyke you, book. Not too, glyph.

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 3rd, 2012, 10:37 pm

Clyde had finally settled on a action. He was going to check his aura when he came back, assuming he did come back. Just a low level probe into his djed, to try and see what he could of him... At this distance and his skill, he could not do it... So he would need to wait till he returned, and got close enough... Assuming he was not a skilled aurist, he would get good information...

Though hopefully he was not a aurist himself, or else it might warn him of Clyde's magical ability. After all, Clyde knew from experience that the brush of someone inspecting your aura with their auristics, was noticeable to a point, as it hit the edges of your domain.

To him it had been interpreted as a light brush of a fingertip, across the back of his neck... Once you had done auristics, such simple things would be noticed, even without conscious effort, passively. It was not enough to tell you much info, or to even tell you were the magic user was, but it was enough to alert you that some workings of djed was in the air, and to put you on guard.

All he wanted to do though was check and see if he was a mage like him... Which was one thing he had gotten good at... Djed was easy to see with your aura vision, once you knew what to look for. And then it was as simple as looking for djed remnants left over from using magic, within a persons body, or on there aura. The more recent the magic, the easier it was to see.

To think, he had not thought of this, until he had been making a magic staff, and had to use auristics while it was being made, for that certain aspect of it. As he had expanded his mage vision, and focused on the staff, he had seen the magecrafting affecting it, as the djed entered it, expanding and deepening its djed pathways that it held, and empowering the item slowly but surely. Until then, until actually seeing the process of djed entering it, he had not grasped the concept of djed, or recognized it when he saw it. Now he knew it when he saw it.

So Clyde waited, deepening his thoughts, trying to clear his mind in preperation for doing some auristics... Meditating and clearing his mind by focusing on a single flickering flame... Concentrating on the vision of it... Ignoring all else... He could feel the heat of it on his skin... Saw as it moved and flickered, and slowly licked at him, without burning...

He let out a deep breath and opened his eyes, calmed down and ready... Once he came back, he would look at his aura...
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 11:04 pm

Meanwhile, Crypt was trying to calm himself down. If he did anything too noticeable, the Knights patrolling the area would notice and start intefering.

Quiet, Crypt. Peace and quiet. Think of your exercises, man. What you've practiced so far. Think of what you've learnt in all the training you've done, and relax. This isn't the end of the world. Breath in, breath out. Forget the glyph.

Crypt finally achieved some measure of calm, and directed his attention to something strange he had noticed about the tree, whose roots he was sitting on.

Plants have auras too? Well... That's to be expected. They are living things after all.

Crypt decided to conduct a short study of the tree before departing for his room at the Row, or perhaps earn more mizas at the Rearing Stallion. He'd have to cut back on the ale though, it wasn't helping him get any fitter.

Crypt shook his head, clearing it of most distractions.

Right then. Focus on the birdie, let it come naturally. No need to rush, Crypt. You have more than enough Djed to look through briefly. Just slowly, slowly look at it.

Crypt opened his eyes again, flipped over the piece of parchment upon which he had drawn the glyph on and dipped the quill into the ink again. He started observing the aura of the tree.

It appeared to be much weaker than an average human's, from his experience, though it was much larger, probably due to its large mass. However, it appeared that the aura was stretched so thin that it appeared to be a translucent shade of viridian.

Curious, Crypt continued to expend Djed, narrowing his focus even more. He was rewarded with another insight: the aura was pulsing faintly, at long intervals. It appeared that a tiny amount of Djed was, at any given moment always traveling up from the roots, through the trunk of the tree into its leaves. Crypt stopped focusing on its aura, for he was starting to get a mild headache. He wrote down all that he sensed on the sheet of parchment, adding a few notes on possible explanations or further questions to be investigated.

The tree is drawing Djed from the ground? I suppose that isn't quite unlikely, but where does it come from? Maybe the ground itself contains Djed all the time, it's just that it's hard to sense. The reason I could detect the Djed flowing up the trunk was probably because it was much more concentrated in the ground. I remember reading of a goddess in charge of the Earth; is she the Source?

Crypt got up. There was still quite a bit of time for him before he would start entertaining the people at the tavern, so he would take a short nap first by the Hotsprings. Not too close or far from the Hotsprings would be the ideal location.

Crypt strode briskly over to the Hotsprings. He nodded to a brown-haired man, then sat down at the base of a conveniently located tree, stretched his legs out and closed his eyes, leaning against the trunk.

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 4th, 2012, 2:15 am

Clyde did not have to long to wait, before the man came back... Him and his book on Flux... He ended up settling himself down not to far away, at the edge of the tree line, nestled by a tree.

He took a moment to gauge the distance... He could probably get his aura down, but it would be tough at his distance... He was not quite good enough yet to do one from to far... But as long as he kept it simple, his search that is, it should not become an issue... Though he would have to make sure not to overly focus, lest he overgive on his djed... That would not be good.

He rested for a tick, letting the hot waters flow over him, picturing them in his mind as if they were flames, tickling their way over his body... Then he closed all else out, meditating once more on the thought of a single flame in the middle of darkness, its light flickering out and moving as it wavered and blew in the wind... Perhaps it was a odd thing to focus on while meditating and closing himself off, but it almost always worked for him, when he wanted to calm down and stay within himself...

Finally ready, he felt out with his djed, feeling it course through his body... He focused the flow, willing the res to pool in his head, to gather and slowly flow into his eyes. After a bit, he felt the gentle buzz of djed being spent in him, a flicker on his tongue at the flavor, and he smiled at the pleasant experience... But then he molded the djed, focusing it into his eyes, willing his aura vision to expand, and to focus on the man laying there at the base of the tree...

Nothing to intense, just a gentle look at his aura. As he looked on he saw with his eyes the aura expand out of his body, it was about normal size for a person, perhaps a bit bigger, as was common in males who tended to be larger. It started out as a neutral grey, with no detail.

But as he focused, it slipped into color... For some reason his mind was interpreting his aura as mostly white, with some streams of pink and blue flowing through it like works in an apple... He was not sure what those colors were supposed to mean, but he did not focus on the colors to find out more detail on them, instead focusing on his djed, focusing on the djed within his body, and on the aura...

He was a bit surprised by what he saw. As his aura died down, he was left looking at his body, which at first looked normal... Until his left arm began to glow a bright blue, with his right arm a duller blue... What the petch? It took Clyde a moment to figure out what it meant, with the djed that fresh, he must have just done magic! What were the chances of that, that he would do magic in the short time he left the water?

Clyde thought on this for a tick, puling back his aura vision, and lessening the flow of djed to his eyes... Really, what were the odds? Luckily for him, he had just done magic. Such fresh djed usage was easy for him to see, even though he was not as close as he usually was when he read auras... Though it also made it impossible for him to tell the djed levels in his body... That would require him to be closer, not to mention the fact that the fresh djed usage was overpowering any old djed remnants, like a bright lamp next to a dull flicker of light it hid the duller light. Which meant he could not get a read on his djed remnant levels... He had no clue of his magic usage...

His aura vision now completely faded, he smiled at the man, and spoke quickly.

"So, was the book an interesting read? Though I must say, not probably the smartest book to read out in public, considering Syliras stance on such things."

He said, a grin on his face, as he waited for a response.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crypt on November 4th, 2012, 2:55 am

Crypt felt a little tingle at the back of of his head, and chuckled in his mind.

Looks like we have a winner! Another mage. This one's more experienced than the others. Fascinating, fascinating. Affiliated with the Knights? Maybe, for he may be off duty. We'll see what he says.

“The Knights can't do anything to me if I'm just reading the book, mate.” Crypt shrugged, flipping open the book to a random page. “I bought this from an old man who's been running a curious old shoppe for over 50 years, by my reckoning. If the Knights have any problem with what he sells, he shouldn't even be in Syliras when I bought the book. Still, some Knights don't like or fear magic. Not as if I'm Summoning a giant critter from another world or burning down an entire row of houses with a Djed-fueled fireball. Though I've done that in Alvadas before, but with creating fire from a flower someone passed to me. There's something about setting the world on fire that makes me laugh.”

Crypt turned the page slowly, smoothing out the small creases that were already beginning to appear.

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 4th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Clyde simply smiled, at how nieve the mage was. Or perhaps he really believed what he said? Clearly though he had not been in Syliras to long, if he truly thought that was true...

"I would not assume to much. The knights tend to be magic-phobes, even if they don't directly do something about it, they will find a way to put it back on you, and to get at you for it... You would be surprised at the length they will go to keep people in line with their simple little mundane lives..."

As he said this, his fingers absentmindedly brushed across his face, and the burn scars which still marked... Which he blamed Syliras and its knights for... For what had been done to him, which especially for him was horrific... Few could understand the way he had lost the one thing that made his life have meaning and purpose, especially in the unique way it had happened to him.

"And in most of their eyes, magic is magic, a scourge upon their society to be stamped out and pushed down at any chance. Clearly you did not grow up here, as a mage."

The last bit of what he said confused Clyde... What the petch was he talking about? Did he just say he burnt down a row of houses in Alvadas? Or had he said he had done it with a flower? That entire bit of his speech made no sense, and was confusing. Which just made him wonder even more if this guy was messing with him, or was messed up in the head... Which considering he was a mage, was a strong possibility. Clyde knew how screwed up other mages could be in the brain. Luckily his magic had not affected him in such a way, which made him irrational or crazy, as this person possibly had. Though he did have suspicions that it may have had some other small influences on his mind... But nothing he could not handle.

"Really? So you know fire magic? That is what you said isn't it? I would love to see a display, even if only a small one. After all you would not make such a claim, and not have the skill to back it up, right?"

Clyde smiled at the man, a bit tauntingly, trying to get him to use some magic, or to admit that he was all bluster and could not do what he claimed. After all, fire magic was one of the most commonly thought of magics, when one thought of a mage. For some odd reason, people always thought of them wielding fireballs and burning down buildings like it was nothing. He knew from his own fire manipulations that it was not so easy. But for some odd reason, such magic was what was the most well known and recognizable of the many magical branches, and what many mundane beings thought of in a mage.

He was both weaker than those over told and distorted stories of mages, and yet far greater than them... Though honestly, rarely were his full powers required to be called upon.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crypt on November 4th, 2012, 2:56 pm

"All I can say is, Sir mage, we have had different experiences with the Syliran Knights. They've treated me just fine, and most have turned a blind eye to any magic I do, since I don't disrupt anything or affect anyone else. No, I did not grow up here, but my father lived here once. I grew up learning what I could, and what little talent I had I used for learning small, simple magic."

Crypt leant against a large rock, breathing in the steam that seemed almost... fragrant.

And now the man was asking to see an example of fire magic. Curious, curious. Almost as if he was challenging Crypt. Unfortunately, he would be disappointed. The illusions of the City of Alvadas would not extend all the way to Syliras, and Crypt doubted that Ionu would grant him the power to do so.

"Have you never heard of the city of Illusions, grand Alvadas? Such a pity, such a pity." Crypt shook his head. "'Tis a beautiful place, sir, and wondrous beyond most imaginations. I have visited and lived there for some time, when traveling around this world, and always it is different. All Alvadas residents reside alongside Reality and Illusion, and most of the time the two are indistinguishable. But that makes things even more... fascinating. And not to mention providing a substantial amount of entertainment, including setting fire to blocks by using a flower. Or even watching a building erect itself, explode and rebuild itself over and over again. Anything can be seen in Alvadas, but those blessed by Lord Ionu have the ability to shape them as they wish."

Crypt picked up a small stone from his side, glanced at it and threw it in front of him, watching it skip on the surface of the water a few times.

"No, I cannot do that here. Alvadas' illusions interact with all that visit it, but they cannot extend across the entire Suvan Sea to Syliras. I have done it, true, but only in Alvadas, where dreams and nightmares spring from roads of ebony and lava. I know not Reimancy, good sir. I know only a little of the arts."

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 4th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Clyde simply looked at the man, who was actually starting to annoy him... He seemed way to fond of the knights, ignoring all of their failings and wrongdoings, and far to complacent really, to be a mage. What the petch kind of mage goes around loudly talking about being one? One that has a short life expectancy. Especially around were they were.

"Well then, you are either a blind fool, or a liar. I am not sure which is preferable. Probably the latter. Since at least a liar sees what is before him."

Clyde listened as he went on, going on about a city called Alvadas, which he had never visited and did not particularly plan to in the near future. Not with him being as busy as he was.

"You know, for all your talk, and speaking of magic and wonders, I have yet to see anything but more of your bluster. For all I know, you can't even do any magic. Or at least are such a pitiful excuse for a mage, that any display would go unnoticed. Perhaps that is why the knights have left you be to use magic. What magic you do use is so small and lowly it is beyond even their notice."

Clyde thought on this, knowing for sure that if he were to use his magic skills around a knight, they would notice. Unlike this unskilled wannabee wizard, who thought being able to do a few trifling spells and magics made him a mage. Blood, sweat, tears, pain, and hard work, were what had made him one. And only know that is skills had grown to such a prodigious amount did he consider himself a real mage, and rightly so.

"Your just another dabbler, using magic in his spare time, thinking it great fun and amazing, not considering truly the cost or the dangers. Not truly doing anything of worth or note. I suppose magic does break up the humdrum of menial labor and your normal jobs and such, but don't think that makes you a mage."

Clyde shook his head, becoming ever more annoyed by this faker, this person so hyped up that he was going to get himself killed. Puffed up on his own non-existent skill.

"Your just all talk, weaving a nice tale with your words, but saying nothing, certainly nothing true or of value."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next