A Chance Encounter

Aoren is discovered using magic!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

A Chance Encounter

Postby Aoren on November 10th, 2012, 5:42 pm

67th of Autumn, 512 AV
Shortly before sunset.

Aoren stood within the center of the clearing just past the dead tree that stood vigil over this part of the forest. He was busying himself with practicing the manipulation of his fire based magic. He held between his hands a sphere of fire as deep a blue as the clear ocean waters. The inner depths of the sphere had not yet been transmuted only the outer most layers had been ignited. Aoren was practicing his ability to manipulate his fireballs from a distance. He released the orb of fire but kept it suspended by his will to manipulate the Res within its depths. He extended a hand toward the flaming orb willing the fireball to split into two separate spheres. With a little concentration and careful breathing Aoren was able to get his Res to obey his unspoken command.

The whole of the clearing was illuminated by the light being cast by the two magical fireballs. Their hypnotic blue flames swirled about as if dancing to a silent melody. Aoren conjured more Res that enveloped his hands then recalled the fireballs to them. He contained the reaction to the outer most layers of the Res around his hands as the Res from the two sphere joined with that surrounding his fingers and palms. He smiled in satisfaction as fire burned brightly in and around his palms, snaking around his fingers and coiling around his wrists.

He brought his hands together joining the wreathes of flame licking his hands forming them back into a single sphere of fire. He exhaled slowly. Aoren didn't usually like working with fire but the more he feared something the less he was driven to understand it and that was not something that was in Aoren's nature. He had many fears but he strove not to be ruled by them. That was no way to live. Cowering under a rock, jumping at every shadow that passed by, flinching at the slightest bit of danger, Aoren would not spend his life that way.

The young man clenched his fists willing the sphere to divide once more. He brought his hands up and searched for the breath that filled the depths of his lungs willing it to manifest alongside the fire that burned brightly before him. He closed his eyes and conjured a gust of wind that swept up the two fireballs and circled around Aoren. In that moment he let the Res within the two orbs of flame distend and thin until nothing but wisps of flame drifted off into the wind in a small cyclone of fire. It was nothing dramatically impressive. A mere display of pyrotechnics but it was still draining on the young man who was nowhere near mastery of his reimancy.

Aoren sighed and reached down and grabbed his quarterstaff. He gripped it tightly as he waited for the ringing in his ears and the dizziness of using his more adept powers faded. As he kept his eyes closed he measured his breathing. He let his thoughts go where they wanted until they went nowhere at all and he simply was. He turned his face upward to where the darkening sky would be. Leth would be painting the world in his pale light soon as he walked the heavens. In that moment Aoren felt most at peace. When his mind was clouded by nothing and taking in everything around him. The sound of wind rustling the leaves of the trees was a comfort he always welcomed. The constant chatter of birds as they readied themselves for the coming night. Aoren had the means of making a campsite for the night. He had no intention of doing so. The young man had learned enough about being in the wilderness that if you were alone at night you didn't want to make that fact obvious to predators.

He would be making his bed in the branches of a sturdy tree. Opening his eyes Aoren scanned the edge of the clearing then turned to his pack. He fetched a bit of bread and his waterskin. A light meal before he climbed up into the nearest suitable tree then he would settle down for the night.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Chance Encounter

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 10th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Once again, it seemed Clyde was on his way out of the city. He never took the same route twice, for fear of being followed or watched... While Syliras praised and worshipped order and sameness, Clyde knew it was not safe... Only through a chaotic manner could he keep himself safe from the agents of order, the Syliran knights. It was why he never went the same route twice. It was why he never practiced or did work in the same place... It was why he had made it this far.

It was even a practice of his before, when he was younger and in the city. Working outside it trying to perfect his magical arts... Wary of prying eyes who might rat him out, and of being caught by the Syliran knights... For even though it was not expressly illegal to practice magic outside of its walls... That did not stop them from holding it against him if they were to learn of it... Or from going after him, or tossing him out of the city...

But he had apparently become to complacent, in his youth... That was why that horrendous ordeal had occurred, in which he had been attacked and forever marked by it... Both physically and mentally...

But it had backfired. Clyde had regained his magic in Ravok, and he had returned to have his vengeance, even if only a bit at a time...

In the end he had the final laugh, and was all the more cautious for it...

As he was considering these things, walking along with his wooden staff in one hand, and his dog Rye at his side, he noticed something in the woods... The flash of a flame...

He of all people knew what that meant. More likely than not someone was camping out in these woods, to poor to live inside of the castle. Or perhaps having been tossed out. Or it could be a group of bandits, living outside... Or, it could even be something rarer... Another mage, like himself, practicing his art... Though that seemed the least likely of all. But he would soon find out, as he approached the light.

As he came into sight of the flame, what did he see but the swirl of flames and air as they wove there way through the space before a man. They soon died down, but it was unmistakable for him. He knew what he had seen, knew it was reimancy. He smiled to himself. Perhaps today would be interesting after all.

Clyde walked into the clearing to see the man, eating a simple meal of bread and water. He took a step closer, letting himself be fully inside of the ring, and easily visible if the man were to turn his way.

"An interesting little show there. Though really, one should be more careful of fire. Unless you want to get burned."

A grin was on his lips, as he stood there, holding his staff.

"Though really, you should be more careful so close to the castle, when using such visible examples."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Chance Encounter

Postby Aoren on November 10th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Aoren's head snapped up and he eyed the newcomer cautiously. He seemed ordinary enough. Tall and lanky but with the distinct wiry build of someone who traveled often and for great distances. He took in the brown hair, long nose, and height assessing the situation should things turn south. He blinked as he took in these thing so as not to arouse suspicion and took a bite of his bread.

"Practice makes perfect or at least it makes us better at the things we aspire to do." His cobalt blue eyes drifted to the dog at the man's side. Definitely someone who traveled. "I have nothing of value if you're a bandit, save for my life. I will fight for that with all I have if it is what you seek though." He narrowed his eyes. Aoren was not one to beat around the bush. Especially when it came to meeting strangers out in the wilderness. He took few chances. If he felt even the barest hint of uneasiness he took even less.

Aoren was feeling that now. He rose from his place on the ground also holding a wooden staff in his hands. It bore no illustrious markings nor any sign of grand make. His clothing was simple bespeaking no vast amount of wealth as was the worn pack at his feet.

"So since I should be more careful as to how I practice and where I practice what exactly does a stranger suggest another stranger do in this circumstance?" He bit off another piece of his bread. He didn't offer any to the newcomer. He wasn't entirely certain he trusted the man enough to break bread with him just yet. That the man knew what Aoren was doing but spoke as if he had a secret to hide said that this stranger knew a bit of magic himself. He took that into account as he continued to stare at the other man. His own face was neutral betraying only that he was keeping a close eye on both the man and his dog.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Chance Encounter

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 10th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Clyde simply smiled at the mans brave, but foolish, words. Really, he was talking as if he would stand a chance in a fight between the two. Which he knew was funny, in how unlikely that was. Unless he had another dozen friends ready to back him up which were still hidden... Even then, it would be an unsure ending. But one man, a mage even, at least of this level, would stand no chance against him.

"True, but practicing magic around here can also make you dead, if a knight were to see it. If I was one, you would already be being run through. Even if it is not technically illegal. That or thrown out of town. The knights don't take so kindly to magic, or its practitioners, and especially don't like people practicing it on their turf."

He almost laughed though at the false bravado. This made him even more sure he had nothing to fear. A mage of true potency, would not have made such idle threats. This one was almost pitiful.

"And if I wanted to kill or rob you, I would have done so before coming close. The fact that I have approached you means I mean no ill will. And you are no threat to me."

But then he was asking for his advice. Well know, that certainly was interesting. Why not give it to him? What would it hurt. Taking a few steps closer, he smiled at the man. As he neared, the burns scarring his face became more noticeable.

"Well for one, never practice alone. That will just get you dead fast. The concentration it takes to learn new spells leaves you vulnerable to any bandit or knight who might want to, to come up and slit your throat. Even if only a guard dog like this, something to warn you is needed. Of course, another person would be best, if you can find someone whom you trust to watch your back."

"Not to mention fire. Well, flame is very visible. You do not even have a campfire going. What excuse do you have for a person seeing flames flaring? A simple campfire is a easy excuse, just telling them it was a trick of the light, or some odd way of the sparks flying and causing light. I saw the flames and your reimancy. But even if I had not seen the reimancy, how would you be able to explain away the fire show I saw, with no fire?"

Clyde shook his head. He was honestly wondering how this mage had made it this long by himself. Clearly he had no teacher, or anyone to warn him of the dangers. He reeked of an unskilled mage, who was untrained.

"Very sloppy. Now which elements do you do?"
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A Chance Encounter

Postby Aoren on November 10th, 2012, 9:30 pm

"Threat or no, the statement still stands." He shrugged. Aoren was not afraid of death whatever form it came in. There were far greater things to fear than walking into the arms of Dira. He ran a hand through his hair, short though it was it was still a decent amount. He rolled his shoulders and finished his bread eying the man as he walked closer. He took note of the burn marks on his face. For a brief moment he wondered how he came to be scarred but from the way he spoke he didn't have long to wonder. Probably some incident that had made him a bit more wary if not wiser of the skills the both of them practiced.

"I'm sure the knights do a great many things to wizards outside of their control. The most merciful of them being forcing them into their ranks." He cast his gaze in the direction of the city. They were a good distance away from Syliras. Only wanderers like himself ever ventured this far into the Bronze Wood.

"If you know of someone as trustworthy as you say, then please, point them out. If not then I don't know anyone." He arched an eyebrow at the other man when no answer was forthcoming he shrugged.

"The knights may be despots but there are worse fates than getting run through with a sword or getting your throat slit." There was a note of bitterness in his voice but he let the matter drop before going to lean up against a tree.

"I would have thought my elements were fairly obvious." With that being said he exhaled as if giving an exasperated sigh. A slight breeze wafted through the clearing, circling around them before dissipating. The only problem was that the breeze was going in the opposite direction of the natural air current in the clearing. "I think you can guess my other element. I have skill in one other but I don't think you'd appreciate a display of it on a cloudless evening. I have no mastery over any others." He rest his staff against the tree and folded his arms over his chest observing the man and his dog.

"I think you can guess that I have had no teacher. The man who initiated me left almost as soon as he came. I only came to understand what I do through a great deal of effort on my part." Aoren spoke as if there were a story behind his words but he did not offer it up and didn't seem open to speaking of it. For a moment he was silent.

"Now then, since we both bear each other no ill will I think a proper introduction is in order. Wouldn't you agree?" He quirked his head to the side slightly before continuing on. "You may call me Ren."
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Chance Encounter

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 10th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Clyde smiled. The man was on the cautious side. Perhaps not cautious enough given what he had seen, but still better than none. Which meant he had promise. If you were not careful and cautious, you would not last long as a mage, especially around these parts.

At his next words though, Clyde unconsciously scratched at his face, edging near the burns scarring his face. How true that was.

"True, that would be merciful, if it ever happened. No, they have other methods to deal with mages, and usually it is not in the mages best interest or good for them at all. Sometimes they can get quite vindictive."

As for the next bit, in reply to what he had said... Well he supposed that was a bit open ended. It was hard to trust others when you were a mage. Especially in a city were most anyone is your enemy, for being what you are... Even if you were a little child, initiated against your will, before you were even old enough to understand... Most people did not get it, as they were initiated much later in life, when they were mature enough to understand it and control it. Clyde though... He had been entered into the world of magic when he was but 5... He had been lucky to have survived the initiation at such a young age, let alone growing up here with such power... But in the end, he was all the more powerful for it.

"I suppose that is the tricky part isn't it? I could say me, as I have nothing to gain by turning you in, so have no motivation. In fact, if I turned you in, you could do the same to me in turn, so I am even motivated to not see you caught. Though I suppose having just met, you are justly unsure of me. I cannot blame you. Really all I can say is to find someone you can trust enough to have your back for a time, even if not forever. We of all people now how alone being a mage can be."

Clyde smiled a bit as he told of his elements. Air and fire. His first had been fire, and his second air. Now he also had earth. And he could feel an inkling, that the fourth and final element was almost within his grasp... He was not quite ready to use it, but could feel the beginnings of the same thing he had felt when he was nearing earth. But his power was not quite enough to use water, along with his other elements.

But really, it was the mark of a reimancer, how good they were, for how many elements they could control. Clearly at three elements, and almost a fourth, he was much stronger than this man with only two.

"Yes, lightning is certainly not something you want to do on such a night as this. Not unless you have to. It is certainly the most noticeable of all the reimantic arts. And especially one you do not want to use close to yourself. That goes bad fast, even if you are not hit directly."

He smiled once more as he offered his name.

"Ren, nice to meet you, I am Clyde. So if you are a mage, and do not like being stuffed here were your skills are repressed, why not leave? Go to Zeltiva? Or Ravok? Or Sahova? Or anywhere else were magic is not so frowned upon as Syliras? I don't think anyplace is as against it as this one... So why not leave?"
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A Chance Encounter

Postby Aoren on November 11th, 2012, 12:27 am

"I've yet to have my bad brush with magic." They way he spoke was as if it was something to be expected. Whenever Aoren thought about magic and the manner in which the broad spectrum of mages used it there was always one thing in common about the path they all walked: tragedy. Fate did not treat wizards with kindness. Destiny did not favor the magicians of Mizahar forever and all of them, every single mage in the world, suffered for the power they held in one way or another.

At his question Aoren did not stir from his reverie merely stared at him with unseeing eyes. There was a hazy glaze about them as if he were staring off into the distance. After a moment he blinked and shook his head softly as if coming out of a trance.

"For what we want most, there is a price to be paid in the end." He shivered as if he were cold and rubbed his shoulders sighing tiredly. When he was more centered with himself he looked at the stranger.

"There's...someone I need to find before I leave Syliras." He offered nothing more than that but the sentence seemed riddled with underlying secrets and hidden intentions. Aoren's face however was neutral on the matter. He turned to stare off into the distance at the setting sun.

"Well met, Clyde. Believe me there are days when I would very much like to leave Syliras to pursue other avenues that could be open to me. Not yet though. Soon. But not yet." He ran a hand through his hair again then quirked his head.

"But since we are on the question of leaving, if you hold such disdain for the Knights of Peace and Order why not depart the citadel yourself?"
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Chance Encounter

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 11th, 2012, 12:59 am

Clyde smiled... Yet to have a bad brush... Well, at least he was a bit of a realist, in seeing it was inevitable. Clyde had all manner of things done to him due to magic, all manner. A wide range covering nearly being blown up by his own spell when another mage he was teaching messed with the glyphs... Being attacked by bandits... Zith... More bandits... Yukmen on several occasions... A crazy assassin... All of which if not for his magic, he would not be standing here alive. His magic was all that got him through it.

"Well, if I have learned only a few things from magic, I would still say they were a lesson well learned, and worth the pain of learning them. One, NEVER EVER mess with, or let someone else mess with, your glyphs, while magic is stored in them. Two, You are going to be put in situations were you have no choice but to use magic. Well you do have a choice. Use it, or die. It is when in those situations that you will be truly pushed, and force beyond what you would choose as your limits. It is then you will find out how much you do or do not value your own life, and those of others. What are you willing to die for Ren?"

Clyde smiled, getting down to the hard questions, looking over at the unskilled mage, who still saw magic from a naive light, along with seeing this city in it.

"Three. Nine mages out of every ten are petching crazy, and you can not trust them. The trick is in telling apart the one you can trust, and steering clear of the other nine. Obviously blathering and drooling and casting fireballs at shadows is a clear sign, but the signs are not always so clear, are often much more subtle. Some can appear completely sane. What of me? Am I the one, or one of the nine?"

Clyde smiled again, wondering what his answer would be. He honestly wondered upon what he would say. Certainly Clyde was a bit odd, but he did not consider himself insane. At least not because of his magic. He had always been a bit odd and quirky, with strange ways. His magic was just a good excuse to explain it away.

His words did intrigue Clyde... Someone he needed to find? Who could that be? He did wander, since it was obviously vague.

"Alright, you have peaked my interest. So who is this someone you are in need of finding, before you leave? You are the one who brought it up, so clearly you want to tell me. So who? Where did you meet? How long have you known them?"

Really, he did not think it rude to ask. After all, as he had said, Ren had brought it up. Surely he would not have done so, only to leave him hanging. Even if he did not admit it, he wanted to tell of it, to tell Clyde.

Then they were back to him, and asking of why he stayed in the city, if he so disliked it. He supposed he deserved an answer, in exchange for Ren telling of his story about this person.

"Alright, I will tell you, since you will tell me of this person you mentioned. Honestly, I already left Syliras, a long time ago. I have only just returned. Not by my choice, but I agreed to a task, a job, and so I have to see it through, even if I do not like being here. I plan to leave for better places as soon as I can, but until my job is done, I cannot. I am not sure exactly how long it will take. The rest of the season? On to the next one? I do not know. Only time will tell. But when it is done, I will be leaving, for places were my magic are not only accepted, but rewarded."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A Chance Encounter

Postby Aoren on November 17th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Aoren listened to the words that Clyde spoke with only a hint of distaste. So much bitterness wound up in one person. He could tell by the sneering superiority that Clyde truly did believe himself Aoren's better. That didn't bother the young Drykas. He dealt with people who believed that every day. To dwell on it would be to drive oneself insane from the need to prove them wrong. Aoren knew who and what he was as a person. He grew and changed a little bit every day and while he may not agree with the other wizard wholeheartedly there was truth in what he said. He quirked his head slightly as he was asked that singular question that he often posed to himself on the dark nights where his memories haunted him.

"What would I die for?" Aoren pondered for a moment before he answered. He looked at the trail that his life had blazed thus far. There was nothing grandiose or spectacular about it. He had not done something monumental or incredibly astounding. Not yet at least. His life was not noteworthy or valued by anyone other than himself.

"There is nothing of note that I would die for right now. Perhaps one day I will discover what it is that I am willing to sacrifice myself for but I haven't found it yet." He shrugged. At Clyde's next words he nodded in agreement at his question however he paused.

"The way you speak says you do not believe yourself to be insane. I would not consider myself insane either but do the insane consider themselves insane? However, you said every nine out of ten mages are crazy. Therefore one of us is not of sound mind. If I had to answer I would say neither of us is the one who is not crazy. Look at where we are?" He gestured to the clearing in example. "Two wizards wandering out in the midst of the wilderness to practice their craft within the proximity of a mage hating city? I would say that takes a small bit of insanity and desperation. We know of the danger. We know that we could be killed in an instant. But what exactly would you consider insanity? I think there are varying degrees of it. Desperation, starvation, anger, rage, hatred, misery, depression, paranoia, greed, and even love can drive us all to different levels of insanity. So the real question isn't whether or not either of us is crazy. The question is how crazy are we?" He chuckled at Clyde's insistence upon knowing his exact reason for not leaving Syliras.

"Actually it was you who brought the subject up. You asked why I did not just leave. I gave you my answer. If you must know though, this person was involved in the disappearance of someone who is very important to me. I will not rest until I find them. I am close. Very close and they know it. So they are trying to hide from me but it is just a matter of time. I wish you luck in your endeavor."
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Chance Encounter

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 21st, 2012, 6:37 pm

Clyde smiled, fairly certain that the other man had answered his question honestly. Which made him a bit happy, for it. He really was not one for lying for the sake of lying. He would lie if he had to, or to protect himself or his secrets, but he was not a man rolled in lies. They were to easily unwoven, or became knotted and confused once they reached a degree...

"There is nothing wrong with that. I am sure many people would answer that the same way... My own is not to different... Though a bit odd... There are people I would try to protect. People I would take a risk for... But die for? I think the only person I would die to protect, is myself... Which I know, seems a bit paradoxical, but as a mage, it really must be taken into account. Are you willing to die, or to lose a bit of yourself, in order to save yourself?"

"For that is when you will truly see who you are, as a mage... And it cannot be answered in a moment of safety, or in philosophizing... It can only be answered, in the moment were the question is truly asked, and when you are facing death. As I said, that is when you will find out how much you value your own life, or the life of others. Only when the choice is made. I was a bit surprised the first time it happened to me. I think it changes you a bit, the way you look at things. Perhaps you will one day know what I mean..."

Clyde smiled once more, as the man said that he did not believe Clyde to be insane... Or at least, did not believe Clyde believed he was insane...

"True, I think we all must be a bit crazy, to delve into such djed manipulations as we do... Especially around here... But I suppose that makes you a bit more crazy than me, since really I am in less danger than you. At least if we were to get caught and attacked, I have a better chance of living."

Clyde looked him over once more, as the man told him of his plans... Going off alone, to seek vengeance... A common way to go about it, but as he knew, not the most efficient or successful way.

"Well, take it from someone who has seeked after vengeance himself. One man alone in the world, after some hidden foe, has little chance of success. Even for one such as I. Much better if you can rally others to your cause, your chances are much improved. I know from experience, it can be instinctive to go off on your own. But when you find allies willing to help... Well, perhaps if you told me more, perhaps I could be convinced to be made one of those allies. After all, I would not be a bad ally..."

"But really, that is up to you. Perhaps if you finish this quest for vengeance and answers before I leave, you could follow along. Never know what you might see, on a journey with me. But certainly somewhere safer to practice your magics than here... Though that wont be at least till the end of this season, likely into the next one."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next