Flashback [Sea of Grass] Strands that Bind (Kavala)

Young webbers Kavala and Vanator are tasked to weave for themselves.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

[Sea of Grass] Strands that Bind (Kavala)

Postby Vanator on November 20th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Timestamp: Early Spring 500 AV
Purpose: Webbing practice

Vanator had finished storing the mallets, spikes and various leather straps and hemp ropes used to erect the large Denusk pavilion and out-tents. Camp had been made the day before, a long day of hard work to set up the canvas dwellings where the family would live for much of the season. The Denusk heir wore simple, worn cotton trousers of a deep brown tucked into his boots and a cream colored shirt, already stained with dirt. A dagger dangled from a well-used leather belt. Tugging closed a large burlap bag of cord, Van felt slim arms wrap around his waist, and a familiar, brilliant giggle behind him.

"I thought you went gathering?" He asked, turning around to greet his wife with a smile and a kiss, taking her hands in his.

"We are just leaving. But your father wants you to find Kavala." The dutiful daughter-in-law reported.

"Hmmm... he told me he wants me to work on setting up the camp Web." It was the first time Eachann had asked his son to lay the web alone. Vanator's young tow-headed wife gave him a smirk. "And now he wants you to find Kavala. Seems he wants you two to work on it together."

Eachann spent time training Ay'aka's youngest daughter in many things. Vanator knew their father adored Kavala, but it seemed the Ankal saw something special in the konti, some hidden potential, for he had even introduced her to Webbing. The Drykas of the Sapphire clan were known for their magic, and the Konti seemed rich with arcana, certainly something Eachann acknowledged. Not that Vanator begrudged Kavala their father's attention. He too loved the sister who was, with Tamar, his best friend.

Tamar accompanied Vanator out of the supply tent, hand in hand as they crossed the compound. The camp was alive with activity, the Denusks busied with the business of the morning, stoking cooking fires, bringing in water, mending yvas and harnesses worn during the journey. At a small collapsible table under a blue canopy, Kavala and Ay'aka were organizing medical supplies and a collection of flasks and small bottles.

"Good morning Ay'aka." Van offered Kav's mother a greeting first. Vanator loved his father's Konti wife. She was wise and compassionate, and seemed to glow even when wearing plain travel garb. The Konti healer was willing to advise her stepson as one of her own. Van teasingly poked Kavala in the ribs with his finger. "Kav, Did father mention coming with me this morning? I think he wants us to work on the perimeter together."
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[Sea of Grass] Strands that Bind (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on November 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Kavala looked up as her older brother and sister-in-law walked in. She smiled at Tamar and started to rise, hoping the other young woman had a distraction planned for the two that didn't involve cataloging medical supplies and restocking the Denusk medical stores. Ay'aka's firm hand on her daughter's shoulder, restraining her to her seat subtly told Kavala the answer to that unspoken question was a decided 'no'.

"Hey you two." The Konti said, her good humor unbroken, even if her mother was subtly reminding her that her help was needed here. When Vanator spoke though, the Konti's expression brightened and she glanced at her mother half expectant that another restraining hand would fall. Ay'aka simply sighed and nodded. Kavala grinned, surged up out of her chair, and answered promptly. "No Van, but he was so busy this morning. He sent two cousins out to hunt and the rest of the family was going to work on that expansion to the Pavilion. I think Eachann is sewing it himself. I suspect its going to be private quarters for you and Tamar. He keeps waiting for grandkids." Kavala said, laughing and teasing her brother and sister-in-law slightly.

"I'd be glad to help though. You sure he wants us to do it alone? That's slightly weird. He's always so meticulous about the web getting done right." She said in puzzlement and then laughed. "Oh. I know what it is. The clan we ran into yesterday had a story about an Ankal lost without any of his kids being competent webbers. They had to combine pavilions for a while until the remaining family and his oldest son was up to par. I bet Father is all nervous about that now and wants to give you more responsibility." She said, glancing at her mother, who as usual withheld comment. Ay'aka was like that. Always the stranger, even among family, the healer left the Drykas doings to the Drykas. And unfortunately she'd long given up hope that her youngest daughter would ever realize she was anything but Drykas.

"Lets go!" Kavala said, slipping out of the main pavilion ahead of the other two, intent on escape. It wasn't that she didn't like medicine - she loved it - but the sun was bright, the weather perfect and being stuck inside was not what Kavala exactly wanted to do today.

"Where shall we start?" She asked, not sure if Tamar was going to accompany them or if her and Van where going to solo it alone. Maybe, just maybe, Tamar would take pity on Ay'aka and her willful youngest daughter and offer to help the Konti healer in place of the escapee.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)