Closed Ice and Elegance (Sliver)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Ice and Elegance (Sliver)

Postby Valkyrie on November 28th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Fall 88, 512

The Ice Palace loomed up before Sliver who stood at the gates of the beautiful structure. It was the home of the bringer of winter, the queen of Avanthal, Morwen. No matter where you stood in Avanthal you could see the Ice Palace. It dominated every skyline and served as a reminder of the great and powerful goddess who ruled the city. There wasn’t a single person in Avanthal who could say something negative about the beloved queen, the entire city was besotted with her. Even those who felt neural had to admit that she was a fair and just ruler who truly cared for her citizens.

The walk up to the giant ice doors was quiet, the crunch of Sliver’s feet on the snow the only sound audible. She was greeted by an Icewatch polar bear and his Vantha bondmate who stood on either side of the door. The Vantha opened the door to allow Sliver admittance to the palace. Though they trusted Sliver, they cared for their Ice Queen more and the polar bear looked her over thoroughly as she passed to ensure that she carried no weapons or other objects that could be used to harm Morwen. Beyond the door was a reception room with ice statues and a few paintings to decorate the walls. At the far end of the reception room stood another large set of ice doors overseen by yet another Icewatch bonded pair. On the left side of the room was an icestone bench with plush white furs draped over it and on the bench sat a young woman busily scribbling on a sheet of parchment.

At the sound of Sliver’s entrance she looked up and smiled in greeting. The woman stood and walked towards Sliver, parchment and quill still clutched in her hands. Sliver would either know or guess that this must be Jenna Aviak, the ever-busy assistant to Morwen who aided in carrying out the orders of the Queen. Jenna was well known as a workaholic and devoted her life completely to Morwen. Her eyes were blue and calm, she loved her work and enjoyed every day she spent at the palace.

“Hi there! I’m Jenna Aviak. Whom might you be? Do you have business with Queen Morwen?” the woman continued smiling and nodded her head politely at Sliver. Jenna was generally a polite and well-mannered woman, no one minded having to go through her in order to see or visit Morwen.
VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sliver on November 28th, 2012, 2:03 pm

It's about time. That was the general response to the Kelvic when she said she was visiting the Ice Queen. She had been gently encouraged, poked, and prodded to see Morwen, but despite all of the reassurances given that the Queen made as much time as could be allowed to see her people, something had just felt wrong about it.

In truth she had really been hoping that some Icewatch event or gathering would bring them to the queen en mass and she would be able to tag along and witness the beauteous countenance she had heard so much and so many good things about. Now, however, it was drawing near to the end of the season, and if Sliver didn't see Morwen now, she'd lose her chance until Spring when the Goddess returned. So she had put away her anxiety and misgivings and come to the palace.

She felt very small within its walls. She noticed the presence of furs and comfort for the mortal, and the array of art dedicated to the queen, so she knew that this was meant to be comforting, but what ever master craftsmen had constructed this palace, wanted to remind you what power lay within it's walls, and that her grace and eternity could never be forgotten. Her steps were slow and precarious, and she tried desperately to push back the welling up of anxiousness that flooded newly from her mind at taking time away from a busy Goddess preparing to bring winter to the land just to talk to one of her outsider Icewatch recruits.

It was much too late to walk back outside, however, and the kind looking woman had asked her a question. Jenna, she remembered that name though of course she had never met her. Sliver cleared her throat a bit, making sure her voice was all there before responding.

"I am Sliver of the Icewatch." As soon as she mentioned her title she wondered if it was necessary, but she had gotten so used to the phrase it just sort of slipped between her lips without a second thought. "I do not have any particular business with the Queen, but I was hoping I might gain an audience with her before she left...I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing her...yet."

She smiled a little, the worry plain in her dark eyes. Well at least if she was turned down she had tried, and it would only be a couple seasons before she could try again. Perhaps Morwen would be less busy in the springtime.
Sliver
Do I look like a woman who exaggerates?

Words: 358206
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valkyrie on December 2nd, 2012, 3:59 pm

Jenna listened to Sliver’s simple explanation and nodded. It was not uncommon for citizens to wish to speak to Morwen and for the most part Jenna usually let them. The only people she held back were those who looked visibly crazy or like they might wish harm upon the Queen, which luckily didn’t happen very often.

“Certainly. Morwen always enjoys meeting new Icewatch guards. She doesn’t have any audiences right now so let’s just go in, I’m sure she will be happy for the company.” Jenna said and motioned for Sliver to follow her. The guards at the doors opened them to reveal a long hallway. The hallway was easily a hundred feet long and pictures clustered along the walls. Most of the pictures had been donated to the Queen and depicted tundra or city scenes, a few particularly talented artists had managed to capture the brilliant twinkles and shades of the aurora in large colorful canvases. Some of the artwork was clearly done by children, or particularly poor artists, as several paintings depicted stick figures standing beneath streaks of color that Sliver could only guess represented the aurora. The floor of the hallway was covered in plush white satin and the walls the same opaque blue of ice as the rest of the castle.

Jenna and Sliver traversed the hallway quickly despite its length. At the end of the hallway was a final set of doors, this time unguarded, this Jenna pulled open herself to let them pass. Beyond these doors was the large throne room of Morwen. The room was vast in length and height with white banners fluttering down the walls. A few tasteful statues were spread carefully through the room though no other adornments graced the room. Near the back of the room rose a dais a few feet high which held the throne of Morwen. The throne was made of ice and had a thick, sturdy base. The back of the throne was rounded and appeared to be in the shape of a snowflake. Not just any plain, six pointed snowflake however. This snowflake had too many points to count and the fragile ice latticework that made up the snowflake appeared as delicate and thin as lace. The design seemed to be a small diamond that exploded into myriad fractals until it reached the many pointed edge to form the most unique and complex snowflake ever to be seen. It was said by those who visited Morwen frequently that she designed her throne herself and occasionally changed it to suit her tastes and mood at the time.

The beauty of the throne was easily overshadowed by the goddess who sat upon it. Morwen sat with a straight and regal back as she watched the two approach her quietly. Her hair was long and straight as well as snow white in color. Atop her hair were several bands of lacy frost and snowflakes connected together and somehow maintaining their integrity on her head. Morwen wore a graceful gown of white, the design was simple and flowed straight from her torso to the floor, gently hugging the slender’s goddess’s frame. The gown was clearly white, yet the subtlest movement from Morwen caused it to flutter and suddenly a thousand shades of blue, green, purple, and red seemed to appear behind the white and sparkle in the light bouncing off the countless icy surfaces in the room. The appearance of her gown seemed impossible, but it appeared that she held the aurora within it.

“Queen Morwen, I present Sliver of the Icewatch who has sought audience with your Grace.” Jenna said as she and Sliver came to halt a few feet in front of the Queen’s throne. Morwen smiled and nodded, her face was open and friendly. Jenna bowed her head in respect and quietly turned to leave, her feet gently padding against the white satin runners on the floor. Morwen gently motioned with her hand towards an ice bench draped in furs to indicate that Sliver may sit there.

“What brings you to my palace, Sliver of the Icewatch?” Morwen’s voice was as soft as snowfall but as clear and crisp as breaking ice. The Queen fully embodied winter, or perhaps wintered embodied the Queen. Every aspect of her spoke of ice and snow yet still she was warm and bright. The Vantha seemed to take after the rule of their queen, hardy and hospitable in the cold wasteland they called home.

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sliver on December 2nd, 2012, 6:32 pm

She was utterly taken aback by how swiftly Jenna took her request in and brought her down the hallway. Perhaps a Goddess had everyone else do most of the work, and was not so busy after all? Or perhaps her duties could be performed more swiftly due to her immortal stature? Sliver's head swam with ideas as they proceeded down, mahogany eyes drinking in the art work, beautiful and simple alike, all with the same love and care put into each piece. She had to look at the sides, for to see the doorway growing slowly closer every moment would be to admit to herself what was about to happen, and a rising tension rose up in the Kelvic's throat like a ball of ice lodged in her esophaugus.

Quickly...perhaps too quickly for Sliver's taste, Morwen's assistant opened the great doors and Sliver was struck with the simple elegance of the throne room. There wasn't much to take in, but she made sure that she combed every surface to absorb this memory in her thoughts, gaze finally drawing to the location in question: The throne and who would be seated upon it.

The throne was beauteous, but barely caught her notice, for it was the figure upon it who had all of her attention. Two eyes were welded to the Goddess. They drank in icy skin that faintly glittered like newly fallen snow, smooth as an ice sculpture. The fine features of her face, the way her body was as rigid and picturesque as the finest statue, yet some kind of life, celestial and powerful lay beating beneath shimmering skin. Slowly her gaze traveled up the elegeant curves of Morwen's neck to find lips tilted upward in greeting, and frozen eyes that held the warmth of a simple hearth awaiting someone returning home.

It was all too much for the poor Kelvic. She fell to her knees. She felt welcome and undeserving all at the same time, and she bowed her head to this great entity that ruled over the city, suddenly feeling an immense sorrow that this great pesence would be gone from their walls for an entire season.

She listened faintly to receding footsteps of the assistant, and looked up to see the Goddess gesturing to an icy bench, a bit more comfortable due to the presence of furs, than the cold floor her knees had begun occupying. The Kelvic lifted herself up and proceeded slwoly, the echo of her voice ringing in her ears, two dark eyes fastened back to the Ice Queen with the rainbow colored dress, snow and aurora contained in one garment. For several chimes the wolverine simply stared, mouth partially open, the meaning of her Queen's words slowly sinking into her mind. She couldn't understand how calmly everyone moved about when this gracious being occupied Avanthal, it was almsot unfathomable.

And she was being an idiot. A foolish, stupid looking idiot. Sliver blinked a couple times, clearing her throat and hoping what escaped from it would be more sound than a squeak.

"I- I only came to see you before you left for the season, your Highness. I would feel a fool if I did not meet my Queen before she went to spread winter to the world when I am always told that you make it very easy for your people to see you...though I would say I am still a fool, and beg your forgiveness for my behavior."

Dark eyes peeked up behind long thick lashes as the wolverine gauged her Goddess's response, feeling a bit of comfort to see the welcoming smile still graced chill lips.
Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on December 13th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Morwen shifted in her throne and leaned towards Sliver slightly though it was done in a friendly manner. The soft smile remained on her lips as she nodded gently to Sliver’s burst of nervous words. She was used to nervousness from those who sought her company and did not seem upset or taken-aback.

“I appreciate getting to know all the citizens of this city, so you are welcome here Sliver of the Icewatch. Working amongst the guards I am sure you have made great sacrifices to keep this city safe and I appreciate all you have done for my home.” Morwen’s smile broadened and her eyes crinkled slightly. The warmth of her friendliness would be felt by Sliver and help to ease some of her discomfort and nervousness. For a Queen of ice, Morwen was surprisingly warm in demeanor.

As she spoke Jenna Aviak returned to the throne room bearing a large silver tray with several cups sitting atop it. Her steps echoed softly in the room as she drew near the goddess and the Kelvic. Jenna approached Morwen first and allowed her to select a cup from the tray. Morwen gracefully picked up a cup and set it on a small ice table tucked beside her throne.

Jenna turned and approached Sliver, holding up the tray for her inspection. Jenna’s smile and friendly gaze suggested she take a cup. There were two cups on the tray, each filled with snow. One of the snow cups had sliced strawberries mixed in, the snow turning a dark pinkish red from the juice of the berries. The other snow cup had sliced blueberries mixed in, its snow turning a light purple. The fruit and snow cups were well-loved treat in the city. If Sliver looked at the Queen, Morwen would smile and gesture lightly with her hand to indicate that Sliver was welcome enjoy one of the treats if she chose. Morwen was a gracious and hospitable host. She waited until Jenna had retreated with the tray before speaking further.

“My home is not your home though, is it Sliver? Otherwise I am sure I would have met you far earlier in your life. From where do you hail, young Kelvic?” Morwen’s voice was polite and inviting. Sliver would feel the urge to be honest and comfortable with her answer. Morwen was not the sort of person that one lied to, probably because she wasn’t a person at all. She was a goddess. She deserved more then the average consideration and respect, not only for her divinity but also because of the magnificence of the city she had made possible in a land where no one else would have dared live.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sliver on December 13th, 2012, 11:35 pm

Sliver relaxed rather readily. She felt her muscles sort of give out beneath her, as if they had just been waiting for her mind to catch up to them. It was chilly in this palace, though she doubted any marked Vantha would ever notice apart from the fact that it would be a notch colder than a home with a wood stove. Sliver didn’t mind it any more than she had minded the brunt of the cold she had had to deal with in the region, and it was a very minor sensation when compared to all the other ones she was experiencing at the moment.

When Jenna came with the tray, she pondered for a moment over the cups. Choosing one’s food was a matter the Kelvic took very seriously, even apparently, in the company of a Goddess. She eventually decided upon the cup with blueberries in it, and picked a single fruit out with her claws and plopped it in her mouth, delighted in the way the semi-frozen fruit crunched as she bit down on it. She wondered what fruit had been in the cup Morwen had taken. Did a Goddess require sustenance, or was it just an enjoyment they could partake in? Sliver was tempted to ask exactly what a God need eat to live when Morwen posed her own question.

Sliver was struck with the desire to tell the Goddess most of her life story, it was a long and tenuous tale and surely not one Morwen would have the time to take in a single sitting, but for a moment the Kelvic was tempted all the same. In the end she deemed a slightly shorter version might be the wisest option, imagining the Queen must have the same love of stories as her subjects did. When she next spoke her voice had lost its shaky and high pitched quality. It was clear the Queen’s own aura, coupled with the fairly well adjusted wolverine, made for a swift turnaround in dealing with deities.

“Well I was born on Sahova, to a canary and an Imperial Watcher, but I am a wolverine…” She trailed off there wondering if this fact was already readily apparent to the Goddess and she was just being redundant. Deciding not to worry about the details she continued. “It is not the ideal place for puls- the living, and eventually I departed…” She bit her lip a bit there at the understatement, “and have traveled rather a long time before arriving here. It only seemed right for a wolverine to come up North. The Icewatch and what it stands for has given me a purpose I have long sought.” Of course Morwen would be well aware of this as well. She was Kelvic after all, and would seek to aid someone in some way. Sliver picked at her snowy berries, enjoying the sweetness, one foot tapping slowly upon the floor. She felt the desire to ask a question in turn, after all was that not how a normal conversation commenced? You were expected to reply to an inquiry then generally would give one of your own in turn, there seemed no reason to deviate because it was her Queen, and most of all Sliver didn’t want to be a rude guest. She was silent for a long spell, trying to figure out what was a polite, but interesting question she could pose to Morwen.

“Why Polar bears? Why not Frost Hawks, or white wolves, or Talderan Sabre teeth?”

The words sort of slipped out without much thought. Sliver realized the phrase hadn’t been worded in exactly the correct way, but it was too late to change it now. She popped another blueberry in her mouth and suppressed a giggle of embarrassment, feeling much like a young pup questioning one of the powerful Nuits of Sahova: That is, completely out of her league.
Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on January 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

Morwen leaned back in her seat again as Sliver began to tell her story. Sliver was right about one thing, Morwen did love a good story. She had been entertained by some of the most skilled and famous storytellers Mizahar had ever known but still she loved to hear the simple stories of her people. She raised her eyebrows when Sliver mentioned her time on Sahova, not many people had the perseverance or strength to make the long trek between Sahova and Avanthal.

As Sliver ended her story Morwen remained silent. She could tell the Kelvic wished to ask her a question in turn and she politely allowed Sliver time to collect her thoughts. When the question came, Morwen smiled at Sliver’s embarrassment but did not bring further attention to it.

“Polar bears were chosen because of their ability to handle the environmental challenges of Avanthal better then any other creature. The frost hawks are only comfortable around the port and coast where they can fish and nest. Wolves and sabre cats do roam this far north but even they are most comfortable a little further south where more vegetation grows which means more game for them to hunt. Polar bears are best suited for being caught in a snowstorm this far north and aiding in their bonded’s survival. Also their width makes them well suited as mounts for the guards.” Morwen explained carefully the reasons why polar bears had been chosen. She was a considerate goddess and wanted to ensure that Sliver understood that polar bears were the most utilitarian choice and no favoritism of animals had been involved. Morwen never wanted her Kelvic subjects to feel that the polar bears were somehow more loved.

“Your wolverine form is well suited to guard duty as well, though I do not think you would make the best mount for a guard.” Morwen’s tone was light and her eyes crinkled at her own jest. “I can see that you have not yet chosen someone to bond with and share the trials of being in Icewatch. I must say that I am surprised that you were not bonded earlier in your life before you came to Avanthal but I am pleased it is so. It always saddens me when a Kelvic is bonded too young. I can see that you are mature and comfortable with yourself, which will serve you well when you are prepared to bond. “

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sliver on January 7th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Sliver nodded, smiling brightly at the Goddess´s joke. If there had ever been any doubt in her mind of how Morwen had such devout followers it evaporated like warmth breath in the chill Avanthal air the more she heard her speak.

Of course her smile dimmed a bit as Morwen pointed out the one obvious fact: That she was still unbonded. Even her kind words did little to alleviate that feeling that Sliver felt deep down in her stomach...no in her soul. That she was missing the essential element to oneness and that bonding lay at the root of it. At least this wise diety did not press the issue, nor lay any blame nor wishes upon her, and for that Sliver was eternally grateful.

"The Mage I grew up with on Sahova, he knew of the issues with bonding young, and I am thankful he never pressed it upon me, yet I constantly strive to become what all Kelvic do, to be whole as so much of the watch is. I cannot lie it was one of the reasons I joined the watch, seeing bears and Vantha together..."

She knew further explanation was unnecessary, that the Goddess knew her as well as she knew herself in regards to that deep seated requirement of magical genetics. She stared solemnly into a cup once containing snow and blueberries, then glanced up and smiled. It was a nervous expression filled with both fear and hope.

"I know I will find what I seek here, in this wonderful place, and am glad to protect my home."

She felt nearly ready to cry, and Sliver did not like the ability to do that. Tear ducts were silly things meant for pus and little else, water dripping out of them was excessive and dramatic, yet she truly wished to pour her heart out to the Goddess that ruled over the City where she had found everything a wolverine could ever require. Her lip shook, and her eyes gleamed, mind overwhelmed at this great honor, coupled with how humbling the entire experience felt.
Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on January 18th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Morwen watched Sliver quietly for a few moments as she explained the subject that had been eating at the back of her mind. Morwen’s face was poised and unreadable but her eyes held kindness and compassion towards this young subject of hers. The confusion of young mortals was no new subject to her and she knew that one day Sliver would find a new way to look at her problems.

“I know that you will find what you seek, Sliver. But you must let it find you. You are so eager to reach your destination that you are forgetting to enjoy the journey. Do not worry about when you will find a bondmate and who it might be. Instead, enjoy the stories you are living and making that you will later regal them with at quiet moments.” Morwen’s tone was gentle and friendly. Her aura calmed some of the Kelvic’s nerves and settled the tension in her stomach.

“You are right about one thing, Sliver. This is your home. This is not the place where you were born, and perhaps it will not even be the place that you die. But you have given much of yourself to the city, and for that it welcomes you as one of its own. You are of the Icewatch, and the Icewatch holds the city together. You will be, and probably have been, asked to do things that no one else can or would in the name of the city. No matter how far you travel, there will be a place for you here among my people.” As Morwen spoke her tone became firmer in her conviction.

She knew when she was in front of a citizen who would bring goodness and strength to the city and she wanted to honor what she saw in Sliver. What she saw was a Kelvic on the cusp of greatness but nervous of failing those who had supported her. She saw the fear in the Sliver that the Kelvic would not admit to herself. Perhaps a bondmate would solve Sliver’s insecurity but Morwen would not attempt to sway the choice Sliver would have to make one day. It was a decision that should be made solely by Sliver, without any influences.

“How do you find my fair city, this day?” Morwen’s question was sudden but her voice was light and calm. She had heard many different reports from citizens lately and she was curious what Sliver’s perspective would be.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sliver on January 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm

The Wolverine felt a wash of calming relief sink in through her pores at her Queen's words. She was an ancient and powerful being, who had seen so many lifetimes it would make the Kelvic dizzy to think about. Her words rang of the truth that came with such age, and Sliver's head nodded slowly, making sure to absorb every syllable and store it away. Time would reveal all things, as it had for this Goddess, and she would do well to heed her wisdom.

This feeling transformed slightly as a warm pride filled her being from Morwen's acknowledgement of her trials. It needn't be specific, for even the wolverine wasn't prideful enough to think the Queen knew of her private accomplishments as such a new recruit, but still she absorbed this as well. The idea that she might not inhabit Avanthal all her life startled her a bit, but once again she realized that Morwen intimately knew the workings of the living, such a short time to change and move across the land. Something sat right with her knowing that even if she ever had reason to leave Avanthal, it could always be her home now, a place to be home sick for and a memory of belonging.

And then a question, so genial and common place that if the wolverine hadn't been paying attention to ever facet of her surroundings and the elegant Queen before her, it could have been taking place in the streets on her way to guard duty

"A bit chilly."

Was her first and immediate response. She wondered if Morwen got that a lot...nearly all that came to see her were surely blessed with her mark, so maybe it was not as regular of a response as she might otherwise have received, but still the wolverine felt ridiculous for saying it. Yet the calming aura of her Queen relaxed her to being too ashamed of her answer, and she continued on uninhibited.

"I don't mind the cold as others do, mind you. I rather like it actually, beats Ekytol or Falyndar, wakes you up in the morning and keeps you active no matter what you're doing." She blinked. "But Avanthal is beautiful as always my Queen. Chill, bustling, and full of energy and life, such is the way of Vantha I suppose." She smirked at the thought of the people she looked over so protectively, prideful, skilled, boisterous, and hard working. A strong and hardy lot, and she could count herself among them. She glanced up. It was actually a bit difficult to stare at Morwen for too long she found. Such ethereal beauty, despite the warmth and compassion, was still quite much for mortal eyes to soak in for extended periods. It was like trying not to squint in a blizzard, or staring straight into Syna's light. Suddenly Sliver was struck by another thought and her lips twitched a bit in anticipation of its answer.

"Do you have a favorite place to visit for Winter? I have barely seen Mizahar, but there are many gems that shine nearly as bright as Avanthal." Her smirked widened at the bit of City pride, straightening a little to convey her curiosity. "I mean...you probably do not tire of winter, nor this kingdom in which you reside, but there must be some place you enjoy seeing, right?" Her eyes lit up like a young pups, Morwen bringing out an unabashed sense of wonder in the wolverine.
Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook