Closed [Kendoka Sasaran] Showing Signs I (Septimus)

So, a Myrian and a Kelvic walk into a dojo...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Kendoka Sasaran] Showing Signs I (Septimus)

Postby Razkar on January 6th, 2013, 12:44 am

33rd Day of Winter, 512AV
Kendoka Sasaran
11th Bell

"We'll have to start charging you rent, Razkar."

"That mean I leave less?" Razkar said with a smile as he bowed a greeting to Mizra Aqdas, then straightened up (and up... and up...) to look the towering Akalak in the eye. "Or more?"

"What do you think?"

Razkar chuckled softly and walked slowly to the edge of the dojo, Mizra at his side. As usual, the students were sparring in an endless dance on the white mats. Wooden practice weapons flashed and whipped through the air. The Myrian's nostrils tingled at the smell of fresh sweat and the merest hint of blood. Constant cracks and groans from the fighters.

"I am student. You are teacher." He said, stripping off his cloak of scalps, his breeches and tunic. He paused to donate his customary ten gold mizas into the donation box, not bothering to wait until after his sparring was done today. It was always worth the money. When it was not, he would stop coming. "So you decide."

Mizra nodded slowly, enjoying this alternate, verbal sparring. The Myrian, Razkar, was truly becoming a regular at his training hall. But he still concerned the Akalak, and had said so before. He knew what Razkar was. Killing and war were not just training or profession to him; they were instinct. They were in the blood and the soul.

Such men always ran the risk of seeing everywhere as a battlefield. Even a school.

But now, today, safe from the bitter cold beyond the walls and with Razkar in apparently good spirits, Mizra was not about to let those fears overly trouble him.

"Students are meant to think for themselves."

"Only when much educated."

"You say that you are not?"

"I have lot to learn."

"Until then," Mizra said as the Myrian turned round, steel weapons exchanged for wooden gladius and hand ax. "I think a donation for every visit should suffice."

"Until my room ready?"

"Something like that..."

The Myrian chuckled, flashing sharpened teeth for a moment. He liked the massive Akalak. He was not as stuck up and arrogant as many of his kind. He had run into many in Riverfall, and most of them had been in this building. But whenever boredom and restlessness seized him and mere exercise or shadow-sparring would not suffice, Razkar found himself drawn here almost helplessly.

"What do you seek, Razkar?"

The Myrian held up his weapons. "Same as last time. Two at same time, ah..." Mizra let him search for the word rather than correct him. It was the best way for the foreigner to learn. "Dual weld?"

"Wield."

"Yes, wield."

"Hmm... most of my more advanced students are paired. However... someone should present themselves."

Someone did.

RecieptTraining: 10gm.0sm.0cm
Last edited by Razkar on January 11th, 2013, 3:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Kendoka Sasaran] Showing Signs (Septimus)

Postby Septimus on January 6th, 2013, 2:58 am

It was a fine day, but cold nonetheless. The Bluevein had frozen over, it had snowed a great amount, but luckily, Septimus was used to it. She had been surviving the winter for a good five years now and was absolutely used to it, of coarse, the frostbite did nip at her finger tips from time to time when she didn't cover them completely, and when she unsheathed her sword it was a shock to her skin.

Septimus needed to follow orders to the fullest extent she could, which was to grow stronger, grow faster, and overall, be better. Whether that be in body, mind, or skill, it was her goal for now. This is where her current destination came in. Rather today, she wasn't with Jerrad or anyone else. Just herself for now, of course. She had been referred to here by an Akalak obviously looking for more than giving advice, but Septimus had more or less given a disappointment as he had left with a friendly smile and polite 'Thank you'.

Her icy blue eyes observed the streets before finally spotting the building described by the Akalak. Much like the other buildings of Riverfall, this one to her was unique as well. It had its own style and feeling given off, but was architectural wise, a good compact idea. As she entered the building's swinging doors, the aroma of sweat filled her nostrils from the bodies moving about in such practiced ways. Another thing she noticed was the cool air outside was instantly shed off her skin as the heat generated from the building and the bodies themselves had warmed up the room to a considerable amount.

One sparring pair of two Akalaks made her want to crawl in a whole with the amount of skill they displayed. Septimus stood and watched the two for a small while when one looked up at her, lost focus, then was taken down by the other who soon followed his partner's gaze. Septimus quickly looked at another pair of men whom were talking as to not instigate something and try to find where she was to begin. One of these men she presumed as Mizra, who the Akalak she talked to, said was one she would be conversing with when she arrived. The man by his side remained a mystery, for now.

Mizra gave the man beside him a look then said "Much like that." Septimus walked over to the two men, not sure exactly what they had been talking about prior but. Septimus flashed the two a short and brief smile before looking at the Akalak, Mizra. She had to tilt her head up to look at him, even though she was 6'5" and it wasn't too common to come across someone that she had to actually look up to. She held out her hand,

"Hope I'm not interrupting, I was told to find Mizra Aqdas and was given a description. You seem to fit it."

Septimus
Better • Faster • Stronger

Words: 230446
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2012, 12:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Trash Medal (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on January 6th, 2013, 3:12 am

"Hope I'm not interrupting, I was told to find Mizra Aqdas and was given a description. You seem to fit it."

Mizra bowed his head slightly in his accustomed manner of greeting. Razkar did something similar but a little more casual, for much the same reason. That and he was a Myrian: deference and respect for females was part of his very being.

"Seek, and you shall find... and you have, ma'am. I am Mizra Aqdas, and I welcome you to the Kendoka Sasaran."

Then he gestured to his side at the lithe, dark-skinned figure a foot to his right and two feet further down. By now he was stripped down to his loincloth, clad only in that, a network of blue and black tattoos, and a patchwork of scars.

And as Razkar looked up into cold, clear blue eyes, he was very aware of all that.

"This is Razkar." Mizra sized the Kelvic up in one long look. He had decades of experience in doing so, after all, and folded arms twice as broad as Razkar's. "He is seeking a challenging spar... much like you are, yes?"
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on January 6th, 2013, 7:04 am

Septimus reciprocated the motion by bowing her head slightly to both of them, feeling as through it was only the appropriate action to do seeing as how they weren't exactly handshakers. Nevertheless, she respected their customs and beliefs and followed along with it as she was never one to be rude unless on the battlefield. Then, in that time, manners were all called off. There was an exception to these rules, always, but this was not a time in which they took place.

"I am Septimus. Wonderful to meet you, Mizra and you as well Razkar."

She spoke in response to his warm and friendly welcome and as well nodded and looked in the direction of Razkar, whom was by now scantily clad in just a loincloth. His tattoos were now visible and great in numbers with different designs and forms. She took note however, to the large amount of scars on his back. For a split second, she stared down at the floor and wondered just how he had obtained those scars but she still maintained that faint trace of a smile, only to then look back up at Mizra then Razkar with a nod.

"Seems like I came at the right time then, so to answer your question, yes. With fair warning, I'm not exactly the best."

Septimus had no clue what she had agreed to, and she had no idea what Razkar was capable of. By what she had observed, probably a lot more than she was. He seemed like a regular at Kendoka Sasaran, and Septimus had no doubt about that statement. Needless to say, if there was anyone she wanted to be training with, she was glad it was someone experienced and good in skill. Usually, that's where Jerrad came in but for the time being he wasn't available and Septimus was looking for new faces all the time to get exposed to different techniques and learn to adapt more easier.

Septimus examined the room and saw wooden practice weapons being used, all in different shapes and sizes. She supposed they had different weights as well, probably to make up for their much more deadly models, so the students could apply what they had learned in the open field of combat. That being said, she wasn't sure it would be possible to get accustomed to switching between two different weapons over a short amount of time, thus there would be a need for changes, she assumed.

"Of course, mind showing me a bit how it works? Well, not how to fight, of course, but how exactly you guys do it here rule wise? I see they use wooden weapons and mats so it is different than what I am accustomed to."

Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on January 6th, 2013, 4:51 pm

"Seems like I came at the right time then, so to answer your question, yes. With fair warning, I'm not exactly the best."

"I am also not." Razkar said with that slow deliberation of one who is speaking in a tongue not his own. Now if he could only get over his guttural, growling Myrian accent, he'd be fine. "But that why I come here. To get better."

Mizra nodded, almost solemnly, but his eyes danced with mirth.

"He is showing signs of improvement, too..." he said, then held up one massive hand with thumb and forefinger less than a inch apart. He mouthed the words, "Just a little."

"Thank you for kind words, teacher."

"Just ensuring pride doe not become your downfall, student."

"Of course, mind showing me a bit how it works? Well, not how to fight, of course, but how exactly you guys do it here rule wise? I see they use wooden weapons and mats so it is different than what I am accustomed to."

Mizra followed the woman's gaze as she took in the mass of training, "studying" figures. The white mats are covered in them, sparring in couples mostly, but all three of them can see that when one of the combatants backs up too far or over-reaches and moves into another couple's radius, a new duel begins, against a new opponent with a new weapons. Sometimes two weapons. And it continues until the duel is broken again.

The eight-foot-tall Akalak smiles and glances briefly at Razkar.

"I believe that Razkar can assist you." He said, smiling and keeping it on his face even when he sees the Myrian's head whip around with surprise. "He has been training here for over a season and knows how things work. I have other students to take care of."

He stepped aside and turned back to the Myrian and the Kelvic for only a second.

"Fortune and wisdom to you both."

And with that he walked away. The bastard.

Razkar took a few moments to remember who and where he was. Fair enough, it... well, no, it wasn't fair by his standards, but it was what it was, and the nice blonde female was still waiting. So he cleared his throat and looked up, once again feeling like the shortest man in the room and spoke.

"We start just you and me. If get good, we go in mix with others." He said, nodding to the whirling, ever-changing constellations of fighting people. "To make answer for you question. I train with gladius and hand ax-" he held up the two weapons as he spoke their names "-and I spar with both. Or try to. But, if not know that, I just use... gladius, I think."

He replaced the wooden hand ax and gestured to the rack of practice weapons. There were swords and axes and maces and staffs and daggers, all wooden, from all over Mizahar. There were even lakans and felt whips.

"What you want train with?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on January 6th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Septimus shook her head slightly and stood there, blinking, with a forlorn expression on her face. After comprehending what had just happened and the Akalak walking away, ever so abruptly, Septimus had a somewhat shocked face for a second. Only then did her eyes widen then return to Razkar, who seemed ever so polite as he wasn't just walking away from her. Nevertheless, she shrugged it off and somehow managed to maintain that same focused expression, all the while maintaining manners.

"I'm very sorry, my intentions were no way to be another task for you."

It certainly, however, wasn't in her intentions to be dropped off onto someone else who was trying to train and get better. Not teach and spar one who was less skilled which would be Septimus. Had it not been for the orders given, she might would have walked out after politely excusing herself from Razkar. Of course, it wasn't because of Razkar. Just the simple fact that the teacher had dropped a student on another student.

As he explained that it would be just him and Septimus, the Kelvic politely nodded out of understanding. Looking back over to the sparring pairs, who would change ever so often as they bumped into another person, Septimus liked the way this whole fiasco was set up. This way, it was somewhat like open combat in the real world. She took a mental note for right now, as to try and watch her footing for now. At least to the point where she could get warmed up.

That being said, she thought that this place would be useful for future reference. When she did get good enough, she supposed she might could come in and battle her own way through without getting as tired much like these students were doing. Maybe even bump into a few people by 'accident' to get a few more good and intentional tastes of the different fighting styles to enhance her learning and experience even more.

As he motioned towards the walls, Septimus' eyes averted to the racks of wooden weapons. The variety that came with the observation was something she looked at in surprise for she somehow missed it. With almost every weapon she could think of, it was up there. Including a wooden figure that matched the appearance of her broadsword.

"Perhaps a shield and a broadsword? Assuming that, you would be okay with that. And thank you for being my sparring partner today seeming as how you didn't have to do it."

With that she flashed a warm and friendly smile of gratitude for in reality, he didn't have to do this. He could've said no and let her go without training today. But Razkar didn't walk out on her, as others more than likely would have.
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on January 6th, 2013, 6:29 pm

"I'm very sorry, my intentions were no way to be another task for you."

Razkar just shook his head and waved his free hand dismissively.

"Is not a problem. Mizra has... um... what is word... un... ah... unorthodox?" He looked to her for approval and a tentative nod was what he got in return. "Ah. Yes. Unorthodox. Unorthodox teacher. But is very, very good. One of best in Riverfall."

Then he watched as the tall... human female? Was she human? She didn't smell like one. Anyway, he watched her run her hands over the wooden weapons, fingers finally pausing over a sword longer and broader than his gladius.

"Perhaps a shield and a broadsword? Assuming that, you would be okay with that. And thank you for being my sparring partner today seeming as how you didn't have to do it."

Razkar rolled his eyes again, but there was no real annoyance in the gesture and he softened it with a smile. Granted, it was a smile that showed off more filed, sharpened, yellowed teeth than he probably should of, but... still.

"I say before, it is not a problem." He said, shaking his head and finding his hand ax again. Two against two was much more preferable to him. "I not care who I spar with, or why. Is all learning. All getting better. All improvement."

He straightened up and gestured to the gladius in his left and the ax in his right. A wry smile alighted his face.

"Something Mizra told me. If opponent has two weapons, and you one, not good idea to fight. Always have, ah... equal feet. No! Footing! Yes, footing."

Then he walked over to the nearest white mat. The Kelvic watched him stretch and crack and pop muscles in his arms and legs, gripping and re-gripping his weapons as he did so. Razkar appreciated the use of armor and its protection, but he would always feel better like this. Faster. Smoother. More agile and more... free.

He grinned again. A shield. He had not fought someone with one of those in a long time. This would be a challenge.

The Myrian crossed both his weapons over his bare chest and gave a short nod. Then he slid his right foot a little further behind him, knees bent, gladius in his left hand held almost diagonal and in front to ward off blows, ax in his right hand cocked back near his head to deliver them.

He was not smiling now.

"When you ready, mistress."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on January 6th, 2013, 9:51 pm

The swat of his hand was reassuring and a sign he didn't care. His smile revealed sharpened, yellow teeth and that's when it clicked. He was a Myrian. From the loincloth, to the tattoos, to the speech, it all made sense now.

Septimus showed no sign of this discovery however, and only payed attention to the weapons, carefully picking out a shield to use. She was looking for one that replicated the shape of her own, which was circular. She gently took the broadsword while she was at it, eyes narrowed as she felt the weight of it, as well as how it felt in her hand. Though it wasn't exactly like her own, it would suffice. Drawing her attention back to the shields, she moved down the wall until finally she spotted one, in the same arrowhead shape she was now used to. She smiled satisfactorily.

Hearing what he was saying about one weapon going up against two weapons made her chuckle. She had never witnessed such a fight, but she had no trouble picturing one. It was for obvious reasons why the statement was true. There was an exception, of course, and that would be a master or expert going up against a beginner.

"I say one would be foolish to do so. I would think it should be apparent the one with dual weapons would have the obvious advantage."

Once she had the weapons in her hand, ready to go and picked out, she followed Xuphim's advice to always stretch before a match or training. Septimus removed her thick and heavy cloak that shielded her from the elements outside, and in the process revealed her muscular arms that she had developed over just a few good and dedicated seasons. With a sigh, she tossed the cloak over towards the side of the room, making sure it would avoid the steps of anyone.

She then began appropriately stretching her limbs, doing lunges in place with both legs then counting to ten. She stretched her arms by pulling them around her head and using the other to pull her elbow. She also twisted her arm slightly and wrapped the around it. Then and only then, did she pop her neck and then her knuckles, and in both cases, it relieved an amount of pressure. Stretching was an important part, for it not only relaxed and stretched the body to prepare it for extensive movement, but it also prepared the mind and soul as long as you took deep breaths and got focused, much like Septimus was doing in the process.

Once done stretching, Razkar asked if she was ready and in this moment, she took a deep breath, gathered her weapons, and took her place at the mat. Once there, she got into the Triangle Stance which Xalet had taught her and she had practiced so many times before. She took a deep breath, and her sky blue observed his weapons and took in their sharp points as well as blunt points that could be 'fatal' to her. Then, she looked him in the eye, controlling her breathing.

"Ready."

Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on January 6th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Any doubts Razkar may have had as to the female's skill were dispelled when she slid into a stance that he did, indeed, recognize. Not with a shield, perhaps, but he had seen it before. It was well-suited to her weapons. The shield at an angle to deflect and even strike if possible, but high enough to protect her whole body from leg to shoulder. The sword, too, held back and ready, just as his ax was.

"Ready."

Her breathing. She had to control it, had to will her body and thus her spirit into the warrior's mentality. The Myrian studied her for a few more moments. She was not, it seemed, a natural fighter. But she was learning, and wanted to learn more.

Razkar's eyes twinkled briefly, and then he moved.

His feet slide forwards and to the Kelvic's right, gladius thrusting towards her chest. Her footing and reflexes were good, though, and she jerked her sword in front of his thrust and to the side, batting away his wooden blade from her body-

-so he swung against the shield in her left hand with his ax, sending shockwave up her arm-

-at the same time pulling his deflected gladius back and striking down vertically at her right leg.

HeyLemme know if my writing style is hard to follow or I'm going too far with my roleplay
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on January 6th, 2013, 11:36 pm

OOCWill do, but I don't think it'll be a problem. :) Also, same for me as well. Let me know if you want me to change something.

As he moved, she moved to match his stance. With every strike he attempted to make, she performed another move to match it and counteract it almost always. Currently, it seemed as though she was once again on defense. He was skilled, that was apparent. Razkar knew what he was doing and he was doing it well. Needless to say, Septimus was having a tough time trying to counteract and shield her body from his attacks. Being Myrian, surely fighting was in his blood.

As he slid towards her right, she blocked his attack with her wooden broadsword but with that he crashed into her sword with his ax. With that one attack to her shield, she felt a jolt of energy traverse up her arm, giving off a vibrating feeling as her muscles absorbed some of the shock. Septimus came to the realization that she needed to step it up.

With that, she let out a grunt as she used her shield to perform the screening tactic which Xalet had also showed her. She did this by pushing her shield forward towards Razkar, attempting to impair his vision. She then tilted her shield upward slightly where she could sweep her sword below the shield and at the right time, she did exactly that. Unsure, all the same, if she had or was going to strike with this tactic and she was far too unsure what tricks he had up his sleeve for an attack like this.

She noticed that her breathing was beginning to get fast paced, and when that hit reality, she tried to slow it down some. Septimus did this by forcing herself to make her breaths deeper which in the end took more time and eventually slowed down the pace. She also needed to move and conserve energy with each attack, and rather than hack and swipe, cut. She was sure to put this as one of her moves that was sure to come next.
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next