To (Re)Create Life- Project Vinonen (Tarot)

The creation of one of the highest works of Alchemy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Rayage on January 6th, 2013, 4:46 am

Winter 40, 512 AV

The nuit had a dream, and that dream was to create life. Countless years of studying alchemy and life have left him various insights and untold amounts of knowledge revolving around the subjects of his interest. Though, the same thing could be said for any nuit with an interest in just about anything. To stave off boredom he would look into an art deeper and for longer than any living thing could. With enough patience one can achieve anything they want. Patience was something that Ray had with himself and his own practices, and today his patience and dedication to the art of alchemy, to the subject of change and transformation, will allow for his dream to come true.

If there was one thing he has learned about magic it is that nearly anything is possible with the right mindset and magical knowledge. It had taken quite some time, but Sahova had gathered resoruces for the wizard when he presented them with his plan. He was lucky that Qiao had such faith in him, his abilities, but when one had such a passion for the art like Rayage did, one that allowed him to truly understand Alchemy, then Qiao would be a fool to dismiss such skill and dedication. Besides, it wasn’t like that Ray failed to present the nuit with tangible work and evidence of his skill. No, he had been quite resourceful in that regard, and through it had gained respect… The respect of the right people here could take the wizard a long way. Really playing the game, playing wizard politics, was the one of the only ways to gain funding for the research. Especially dreadfully expensive projects such as this one.

Project Vinonen it was called, the project which outlined the process of which he would create his homunculus: a war machine for Sahova. It was promised that it would be deadly, the island seemed fond of dangerous things, and so he had taken that into account when he designed the creature. In the end though he had no idea HOW it would turn out exactly, but instead he could only mold it with alchemy and hope for the best following his plan.

ooc :
Wasn’t sure how far to take this post. Made it short and sweet. Also kind of brain dead at the moment from writing out the entire plan in one day… Getting it from my head to paper in a fashion that is remotely understandable by other people is a challenge. Please tell me if you don’t quite understand. Ill try to explain more. Thank you. I look forward to threading with you. Forgive the time it took to get this up, when I presented you with the Vinonen idea I had no clue actually how I was going to make it. So this took quite some thought haha.

THE Plan laid out

In the first Spoiler I quoted one of the first conversations of which you answered my question (through Panna Cotta) about alchemy. Quoted within are my original message, your reply, and then the numbers of the projected death rate laid out using the example given in my original message. In the second Spoiler is the same death rate, but with smaller numbers and an approximated sterile rate. After the Spoilers I lay out my plan as to how to create this homunculus, animals/things needed, growth through the generations and projected outcome following the plan.

My hopes in showing you all this is so you can have a heads up of what I plan to do in the homunculus thread. Since I have never really done a modded alchemy thread before this I’m totally use to just coming up with a plan, asking if it’s possible, and then just doing it. So it’s showing you the direction I’m going in, giving me a road map to follow as I progress through the thread, and listing other important details. All approximations are again approximations. This world is not perfect like math makes it out to be, and quite frankly the math I’m using to approximate the upcoming numbers is highly simplistic and unjust to the entire concept/complexity of life. It is just easier, when guessing, to work with entire whole numbers instead of “I’m guessing 2-5”. In the math I’m always rounding up to estimate the maximum number of deaths (according the pattern set), and lowballing my successes.

Also, one thing hasn’t changed I’m still willing to admit that I am wrong, and that the plan laid out isn’t possible if you deem it so. I also acknowledge the fact that not everything will turn out as envisioned, as you told me in the HD, but I can’t help but to try my best to make this as ‘logical’ (or as logical as magic can get) as possible. Without further to do then let’s get to the nitty gritty:

Death Rate Laid Out- Example 1 :
Tan=Rayage, Blue=Tarot

I may not completely understand it and it is true that I do have a hard time seperating the Alchemy of this world from transmuting lead to gold, but I think I have a good idea how to preform human transmutation.

The Alchemy of Mizahar is all about giving new properties to the objects in the middle using founts, filters, and a little bit of blood and will power. The necessary reaction will prolly not happen the first the go hinting at the whole formula thing and multiple steps. Though with practice and a little bit of help from the ever so kind mods like you I think I will acquire a deeper and much better understanding of this art.

Alright lets say, for some odd reason, I wanted a scaled dog. More specifically the scales of a Stripped Marlin. Now I would put the dog in the center of the circle, for this exp the doors are flat with the ground, and I would use the Marlin as both founts and both filters to more specifically isolate the needed effects. For a more visually sound and as a reminded of what I want I would skin the Marlin used as a filter to further make sure I get just the scales. So now we have something like "D+S+S-F-F=P1" "Dog+Scales+Scales-Fish-Fish=Product1"

Then I would continue the process but instead of using Marlin as both fount and filters I would use P1 as a fount, as well as another Marlin. Then I would use a dog as a filter, and another skinned Marlin. We dont want the dogs hair, or any other part of the dog besides the already transmuted scales to get through to the target. so we have "D+P1+S-D-F=P2" Dog+Product1+Scales-Dog-Fish=P2.

Each time getting a dog with more and more scales. Of course the process would be repeated until the desired effect is brought about. This was just an example trying to illustrate for you what I think I know about your kind of Alchemy. Please PM back with ab evaluation. My thinking might, and prolly is, flawed.

He's going to need quite a few dogs and marlins, though, because nasty things tend to happen when you use Alchemy on a living being - especially at the lower levels. So, say, 50 out of 100 dogs die in round one. 20 out of 50 in round two (lower ratio cause the dogs are undergoing selection and perhaps getting more resistant to alchemy), then 10 out of 30 in round 3. By round five you end up with maybe 15-20 dogs with the desired properties, most of which will be sterile.

Math Breakdown:

Round 0- no subject loss- 0 dogs died- 100 dogs alive
Round 1- ½ subject group dies- 50 dogs died - 50 dogs alive
Round 2- 2/5th subject group dies- 20 dogs died - 30 dogs alive
Round 3- 1/3rd subject group dies- 10 dogs died - 20 dogs alive
Round 4- 1/4th subject group dies- 5 dogs died - 15 dogs alive
Round 5- 1/8th subject group dies- 2 dog died - 13 dogs alive -15/20 dogs remaining

The chance of a single dog surviving all five alchemy rounds:

P(DogLiving)=P(Round1)*P(Round2)*P(Round3)*P(Round4)*P(Round5)
P(DogLiving)=(1/2)*(2/5)*(1/3)*(1/4)*(1/8)
P(DogLiving)=.002
P(DogLiving)=.2%

The probability of a single specimen surviving all five blasts of alchemical flux is .2%.

The fifteen/twenty dogs remaining was your estimate on how many will be left by round five. I however found a pattern that you were using when estimating the number of deaths (going down in numerical order: .5, .4, .3r, (.25, .1)) I just filled in the blanks left to me via Rounds 4 and 5 via your explanation above trying best to adhere to the pattern using simple factions. I think 1/4th and 1/8th serve very well.

Death Ratio Laid Out- Example 2 :
Math Breakdown

50/2=25*(2/5)= 10
25-10= 15*(1/3)= 5
15-5 =10*(1/4)= 3 (Rounded up)
10-3 =7*(1/8)= 1 (Rounded up)
7-1 =6 Remaining- maybe 4 are sterile leaving 2 to breed*
*Sterile ratio=4/6th or 2/3rds

50*.13=6.5 rounded down is 6.

Same math but with a smaller group population to experiment on. I also estimated the sterile rate based on what you said above: ” 15-20 dogs with the desired properties, most of which will be sterile” ‘Most of which’ being about 2/3rds of the remaining population.

Rays Research Team- Project Vinonen

Unsure if Im allowed to make specific members of Rays Research team to allow for some skills which I do not possess. Besides it is hard for one man to do –everything- and Sahova recognizes that things like this goes faster with an entire team working on the homunculus, all following/being directed by one plan/research leader.

This thread is the thread which Ray gained Sahovas full support for the project.

Experiment Groups

The Experiment is going to be broken down into two main groups: A and B. Within each group will be ten Kelvics. The Kelivcs are there for breeding purposes since they always breed true. In the introduction of new traits to a species and eventually a new race altogether this quality of the kelvic will be quite helpful in the passing on of traits alchemically altered/added.

Groups A and B are separate because each are representing a different gender within the population. Group A are going to be males who are going to be transmuted with alchemy. Group A therefor will be mated with female kelvics at the end of the trials. Group B would then logically represent the female side of the spectrum, females getting transmuted with alchemy and mating with male kelvics.

Groups A and B and their offspring are going to be carefully tracked. At the end of the trials each product will be labeled with a wrist band specifying which group they are in, and after many attempts of breeding if they are sterile or not. The band will include their specific Group, number of order transmuted, Sterile or not, if they are offspring or not, what generation. An example of such a band would be A-01-YN-00, translated as Group A, first to be transmuted, yes he is sterile, not a child of the experiment, generation 0. Of course the dead don’t get labeled merely discarded elsewhere. So bands might skip numbers going from A-01-YN-00 to A-11-NN-00. A-11-NN-00 means Group A, eleventh to be transmuted, Not Sterile, Not a child of the experiment, Generation 0.

Children are kept track of simply too and have their parents number added onto the end of their tag to indicate who is their parent, and what generation they are. If A-11-NN had a child its tag would look like A-01-Y-11-01. After the ‘Y’ the ‘11’ means the fathers transmutation number was 11, and 01 means the first generation. Together with that information one can precisely place who the father of the child was if need be. Just look for the transmutation number (11) and subtract a generation (01-1=00) and you have the fathers tag. Generation 2’s tag might look like A-01-Y-02-02 meaning Group A, first born (and subsequently first to be transmuted), Not Sterile, Father was 02 or generation 1, child is of generation 2. Groups are kept gender exclusive meaning if A had a girl child then the girl would be removed from the study.

The children of both groups will then be subject to same treatment as their parents. The aim is to further augment the traits being magically bred into them. When traits are prominent enough then Groups A and B will be allowed to interbreed forming Group C. Group C will restart the generation count of both Groups A and B, so the first members from A & B allowed to mate will be called Generation C-0 once more. Their offspring will be Generation C-1 or GC1 for short. GC1’s offspring will be GC2, and GC2’s offspring will be GC3 and so on as long as the study goes on.

Groups A and B won’t be the entire experiment. To achieve the favorable property of steel-like skin there also will be a Group SLS whose entire existence is just pumping life-force/living energy/people/things into steel. SLS will be applied to each generation until desired traits are shown.

There also will be three different groups of mice. Groups MA, MB, and MC. Group MA will be the control, regular, ordinary mice allowed to live and breed as much as any animal would be. Group MB will have the alchemical reactions focus on the males only, leaving the females in that group well alone. Group MC will then, of course, focus the transmutations on females only, leaving the males only. Generations are marked with simple numbers starting from Generation 0 and going on from there.

The mice in groups MB and MC will be introduced to SLS and then they will be bred. Generation 1 of both groups MB and MC will be introduced to more SLS, and the ‘misfits’ (those born in the groups gender wise) will be put into cycle of creation of SLS. The surviving mice from Generation 1 will be bred to create Generation 2 of SLS enhanced mice. Gen. 2 will then be introduced to SLS, bred, and so on. Each subsequent generation of mice will be enhanced further with SLS, and it is the hope that each generation will get more and more defined traits of that put into SLS.

The logic behind that being that Generation 0 will pass just a little bit of the SLS in their system when they mate. Therefor Generation 1 will already have a bit of SLS within them as they begin life. Generation 1 will then be introduced to SLS further adding to the properties bred into them. Generation 1 will then breed and create Generation 2 which will have a bit more SLS as a part of the inherent traits as Generation 1. The misfit mice that go into further batches of SLS will only help to strengthen traits of SLS present there already in SbAxNStSa5. Of course, each generation getting stronger and more pronounce features of SLS or so that is the hope.

Mice from group MA will be kept as extras serve as sort of a control to measure the progress of SLS throughout the generations. Though, some males and females from group MA will be put into groups MB and MC for breeding purposes.

The Alchemical Process

Desired Traits: Steel-like skin (SLS), Advanced Regenerative Properties (SLS), sharp quill-hair(A&B), Humanoid(A&B), Augmented Astral Body(A&B)
Glyphs Used: Paths and Barriers to further direct, control, and define the alchemical flux. Entire glyphs used in junction with Custom Charger 1 (see below)
Custom Chargers Used OOCIf you have time to help!: Charger 1 from modded/dangerous to use chargers. Planning to use it to aid in the distortion/growth of the Astral Body
Philters: Augment Aging RateSo we can do multiple generations in a jiffy or at least faster. Side effect can be shortened life span., Hayuns PhilterThe Djed Resistant plant in potion form! Helps by making the subject more djed resistant therefor able to survive alchemical treatment better.
Materials: Steel Bars, White dye (For quill-hair), Hayuns, Water
Living Things: Humanoid Races (Whatever Sahovas got. Hopefully mainly humans), Kelvics (10 male for group B, 10 female for group A), Porcupines, Salamanders, StarfishOn the Wishlist, NewtYay regenerative abilities and toxin skin! Bonus, Axolotl, Mice!
Symbol Key: Sb =Steel Bars, Wd =White Dye, Ha =Hayuns, Wa =Water, LH =Living Humanoid, Po =Porcupine, Sa =Salamander, St =Starfish, N =Newt, Ax =Axolotl, G#=Generation#, MPGC=Magical Projection Glyph Charger-thing, AL=Anything with life (Plants/animals/people/Those born in the wrong Group such as a boy being born in Group B), M(Group)=Mice from the group A,B, or C. Example of symbol: MB- Mice from group B

The Process- Group SLS:

Sb+ Ax+ Ha+ N+ St+ Sa=SbAxNStSa1
SbAxNStSa1+ Ax +Ha+ N+ St+ Sa=SbAxNStSa2
SbAxNStSa2+ Ax+ Ha+N+ St+ Sa=SbAxNStSa3
SbAxNStSa3+ Ax+ Ha+N+ St+ Sa=SbAxNStSa4
SbAxNStSa4+ Ax+ Ha+N+ St+ Sa=SbAxNStSa5
SbAxNStSa5+(AL*10)=SLS

The Process- Groups MB&MC:

MB/MC+SLS=MB1/MC1
MB1/MC1+SLS=MB2/MC2
MB2/MC2+SLS=MB3/MC3
MB3/MC3+SLS=MB4/MC4
MB4/MC4+SLS=MB5/MC5

The Process- Groups A&B:

LH/G#+Wd+ Po-Wa-PoD(Dead and de-quilled Porcupine(Guided and contained to scalp/hair with glyphing runes to only effect marked area. Think of it like a paint bucket on the program Paint)=LHWd/G#Wd
LHWd/G#Wd+MPGC+LH-Wa=P1
P1+Ha+LH+MPGC-Wa=P2
P2+Ha+LH+MPGC-Wa=P3
P3+Ha+LH+MPGC-Wa=P4
P4+SLS*+LH+MPGC-Wa=P5

*SLS is only added in part 5 and no other parts because that is when the death ratio is actually the lowest, and the alchemists won’t have to make as much SLS given the lower number of Subjects to expose to it.

The Process- Group C:

G0+SLS+MPGC=Z1
Z1+SLS+MPGC=Z2
Z3+SLS+MPGC=Z3
Z3+SLS+MPGC=ZF

NOTE: Formulas are for only one trial (a series of alchemical rounds/reactions), one finished product. I’ve tried to keep it as simple as possible, because, well there is genius in simplicity and if I can’t really explain the homunculus simply and plainly then I need to go back to the drawing board! These equations might seem simple, but I tried to break everything up into ‘simple’ steps because it is easier to see where I’m going/keep track/wrap my mind around complex reactions and situations broken down into simple parts. Nonetheless this is very complex alchemy. It is not the length of the formula that makes it more advanced, but rather what the wizard is trying to achieve as we put everything together and see the big picture.

What is Happening Here?

The next part is a step by step breakdown of what I hope to happen following the formulas written above. Each Group is explained.

What is happening in Group SLS:

Round 1- The potential SLS product is introduced to all sorts of living things with regenerative properties. Everything about the animals is stripped from them for there are no filters. I want to get everything about them as much into the Target (Steel bar) as possible. The reaction will be highly inefficient.
Round 2- A repeat of round one, but with the product of Round 1. Same types of creatures put into the now –ever so slightly living/organic steel- resulting in the still getting more and more pronounced qualities of the creatures put into it.
Round 3- Yet again the circle of change is activated with the same animals put into the fount slots. Again the steel gets more pronounce characteristics of things put into it.
Round 4- As you can see by now that this is a refining process with the goal of making the features of the things sacrificed with alchemy much more prominent within the steel, along with attaching life force to it (or at least the djed code that allows life).
Round 5- Once more the circle is loaded and charged with more of the specific creatures mentioned.
Round 6- The SLS-to-be is charged with the life force of ten different animals. Properties such as hair, fur, claws, skin, ect are to be filtered out appropriately unless the animals used come from Groups MB and MC, upon which a regular mouse from the control group is put in the filter, filtering out all the normal mice characteristics and leaving the slightly more empowered SLS. The mouse thing will happen as soon as Generation 1 is born from either MB or MC. This is to further improve the quality of the SLS put onto the mice/Groups A and B which will in turn improve the quality of the transmuted subjects. It’s going to be a self-sustaining cycle of sorts of progression and continuous change!
NOTE- Misfit children born in the wrong group will be removed from the study and put into the further creation of SLS. Nothing will be wasted!

What is happening in Groups MB&MC:

Round 1: Mouse is introduced to SLS.
Round 2: Mouse is exposed to more SLS.
Round 3: SLS is transmuted into the Mouse once again. All the while properties of SLS become more apparent in the Mouse.
Round 4: Once more the Mouse is Targeted with SLS
Round 5: If mouse survives the last SLS treatment it is then allowed to breed. Generation 1 though X is then imposed to the same series of five transmutations before they are allowed to breed. The bred mouse will have the inherent traits of transmuted parent mice (or at least half their genetic code. Wonder what traits are dom and submissive) making the offspring already have SLS traits. Then more SLS (and perhaps more potent SLS) is introduced to the mice each generation. Basically the breeding in of desired traits.*

*The Mice are for the further production of ‘purer’ and purer (more pronounce, perhaps?) SLS with each new generation. The SLS created from the mice will then be plugged into the equation with Groups A and B.

What is happening in Groups A&B:

Round 1: Subject is introduced to Porcupine quills and white dye, guided and confined in the scalp area. The initial reaction won’t be very impressive, and change of the hair’s features will be seen gradually over generations. The color chance, however, might be quite apparent, but the spiky, hook-like properties of the quills won’t be apparent till many generations of it bred into the creatures.
Round 2: Subject is introduced to the special ‘’taking the properties of magic’’ charger, also known as charger 1. The charger/glyph-thing is charged with projection to grasp and stretch/distort the astral form. Human life/properties are also transferred to the subject. Water is filtered out.
Round 3: The subject is introduced to a new substance, the Hayuns extract which serves to bolster immunity to djed. Magic glyph is introduced again to continue the distorting of astral body.
Round 4: Round 3 is repeated in Round 4 to further enhance the prominence of the magic trying to change the subject.
Round 5: Round 4 is repeated in Round 5 again for the same purpose.
Round 6: SLS is introduced into the equation. The subjects that survive this trial will be allowed to breed.

What is happening in Group C:

When Group C is created this means the experiment is on its last and final part.

Round 1: Homunculus is exposed to SLS and MPGC to further instill both properties into the final product.
Round 2: Process is repeated.
Round 3: Process is repeated.
Round 4: Process is repeated. Finished products are allowed to breed. Process (rounds 1-4) continues until desired properties are observed.

Last Notes

As you can see my initial design has changed dramatically since I put in the HD ticket for the Race. Im still going for a distorted astral body though, but I now picture its form to be as unpredictable as a mutation, not having a set way that they are defined but differing between each homunculus. Again, I didn’t add any more ‘concrete’ details because I want to see what YOU and I come up with IC, basically how the alchemy itself plays out in the world of mizahar uninfluenced by OOC desires and wishes.

The aging potion I requested will be given to the females who are pregnant to induce growth and therefor labor sooner. The same concoction will be given to the children so they can come to age which they are fit to breed sooner.
Last edited by Rayage on August 8th, 2015, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tarot on January 28th, 2013, 1:49 pm

The laboratory was bustling with activity. Menial worker golems pushed cages on wheels, some empty and some already filled with an unfortunate guinea pig either animal or humanoid. Another golem, outfitted with an incredibly fine brush, was sweeping every transmutation device with manic obsession, getting even the slightest particle of dust off the delicate apparatus. Catalysts were being produced and sorted for later use. Apprentices, not introduced to the full nature of the experiment, executed test runs on the arrays with dummy founts to make sure everything was at peak performance. The scope of this operation was unlike anything Rayage had ever worked on. It was reflected in the sheer size and complexity of its setup. Qiao had given his full approval and provided resources of his own.

It was the first day of Project Vinonen's actual implementation, and things were to run on a tight schedule. The Nuit had left nothing to chance; everything depended on this. It could project him into the highest elite on the island, or it could ruin him and send him into exile... or worse. You could never tell with Qiao's mercurial moods. There was tension in the atmosphere. No Alchemical project of this magnitude had ever been attempted in Sahova. Part of the reason was historical; King Kovinus had placed a ban on such research which his daughter Kova had never lifted. Ever loyal to the long vanished line of the Alahean monarchs, the citadel had not strayed from their laws... until Qiao took over.

Rayage found himself busy fixing the first crisis of the day - a labeling mistake with a few specimens - when a voice called out from behind.

"Rayage."

Archwizard Zarik Mashaen stood quietly behind him. All of the Alchemist's security measures bypassed, as if they hadn't been there; this was the Archwizard, after all. He alone in the Citadel held the privilege of looking just like he had when alive. His trademark grey eyes narrowed as he took in the hustle and bustle around him, but he did not touch anything. Even the Archwizard knew better than to interfere with an ongoing experiment. The apprentices fled the room in a hurry, knowing this was both unplanned and best not witnessed.

"So it's true... you've decided to be Rupert Pycon all over again." Mashaen appeared pensive, almost sad. "Do you understand the consequences of this? It's a step you can never take back. Qiao is using you as a pawn in his bid to take over the world, and you know it as well as I do. If you complete this experiment and it proves a success, there will be war." His voice was calm, but his gaze meant challenge. "Are you truly prepared for this, Rayage? This place can be a beacon that leads mankind into the future by revealing its past... or it can be a nightmare like the one Qiao envisions. I have already made so many mistakes, have so many regrets. Is this truly the path you've chosen for yourself? I've been there before. It leads nowhere."
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Rayage on January 29th, 2013, 4:09 am

A mistake, a mistake was unacceptable. A mistake could cost more than time it could cost the experiment especially when doing something as essential as labeling. Things needed to be as carefully watched as possible, and the nuit was glad that he had the common sense not to trust those placed under him to do their job competently. If anything Rayage was a little too smothering, and he made it known that everything had to be done just right. He knew all too well that there was no room for mistake, no room for error, no room for excuses… In Sahova, magic is serious business, real serious business.

Examining the tags he was about ready to kill whoever made the mistake. There were two Subject A-2’s and that just couldn’t be. Now he had to not only fix the label, but every other label after A-2 as well and the gods better hope that no more tag mistakes were found as now every specimen they have done would be put under great scrutiny. He half wondered who the moron was that couldn’t follow simple instructions and why they were on his research team. Though now it wasn’t time to worry about that as that one mistake had cost him more than just time, precious time, already putting them behind schedule, but it also cost him his own self-image within the magical colony. So much more was at stake, more than any of them wanted to admit.

He had to oversee this entire project and… A voice snapped him from his thoughts and idol musings as he worked to check the remaining tags, changing numbers as necessary because the two A-2’s set entire set of tags after it off one number. It was a frustrating mistake which shouldn’t have happened in the first place, he would have to be clearer in the future. Oh yes, clearer indeed, but for now he turned to see who had addressed him. Apprentices rushing out, Ray only had a look of idol amusement on his face as he stood face to face with the Archwizard himself.

Now of all times the Archwizard confronts him. Now of all times, when the Archwizard should be happy, he doesn’t sound so. Now of all times, when the Archwizard should be grateful for Rays efforts it didn’t sound like he was going to get much praise. Now of all times, when Rayage is on the tightest schedule, he found himself interrupted by the second (or soon to be) most powerful wizard on the island. Ray knew that he was being used by Qiao, but the wizard provided the nuit with a means to an end, a way to finally create his beloved homunculus. It was a slanted deal, yes, but Rayage didn’t care. If he was a pawn, then he would make it to the end of the board and become something greater. This was a step in the right direction, for his goal, for the islands goal, for everyone.

A couple chimes passed as Ray took in everything that the Archwizard said, ”War.” he said the word with a certain kind of conviction, a kind of confidence, arrogance, ”War.” he said again, ”Of course there will be war. What else do you expect, what could you expect from a place built upon the smoldering ruins of Alaheas war effort with Suva? Sahova was meant to conquer the world, it is what the wizards have been working toward for centuries. The wizards will rule once more, but dare not think we struck the first blow!” he announced boldly to the Archwizard, ”Did not the mortals of the current lands storm Sahova in search of the fragment? Did they not come upon our shores, swords drawn, eyes blinded by the orders they were given… No, we will simply look like we are retaliating and proper respect for the magic we wield will be given. We are not the weak nuit race who hides behind ancient walls of stone and mortar. We are Sahovans, ancient masters of magic, carriers of lost secrets and knowledge…” his thoughts trailed off before he laughed, ”Though war would happen regardless of our hand being played. War is only natural, and peace never lasts. It crops up. War is needed to stir this place once more into action. Not only Sahova, but the other lands as well. They all need stirred and with war comes ultimate change, innovation, invention. War is actually quite profitable economically if you think about it.”

”What more than war can unite a peoples under one banner? What more than war can create brotherhood and peace? What more than war can we once again rise Alahea out of the ashes and unite the lands as one? I’ll say it again; war is a powerful instrument of change and innovation. With it we can lead mankind into a brilliant future.” he sounded almost joyous talking about war, almost like a child who doesn’t know what he is talking about.

”Regardless of what the future becomes, I cannot stop now. Even if Qiao leads mankind to its doom, I cannot stop now. I gave my word that this homunculus would be created. My word, Archwizard. If we undead have nothing else, it is but our word, is it not?” he asked him. ”If I stop now I will have failed not only Sahova, but myself as well. You have no idea how much this homunculus means to me. It’s why I live. It’s been my life for many, many years, centuries. If you have come here to try to stop me, nothing short of force will.” there was something crazed about the tone of Rays voice. This experiment meant more than his own life to him. In a way it is his life. ”I have chosen my path quite some time ago. You are about 750 years too late.”

He laughed again, ”Have you ever considered that maybe Qiao might be right?” he asked him, ”Besides, perspective is quite a dangerous thing. What might be a nightmare to one is actually another’s dream. Isn’t it fun how that works out?” He waved his hand as if dismissing the words he just said, ”It’s amusing that you show up now of all time, Archwizard. You show up questioning me like you are somehow better, superior. You show up when Im at my highest only to try to remind me just how little I am. Did you think you could persuade me to give up on my ambition? Did you think that I would so easily give up my meaning? What right do I have to exist if not for Alchemy! If not for innovation, if not for change…. Change…”

”Do you know what kind of alchemy circle that Harameus uses?” he asked the Archwizard, ”The greatest and most powerful, complex wheel ever created. The wheel of life, and the cycle of reincarnation. With each round we get more and more perfect…” he said the last word with a longing, ”Even if I could stop, I cant. There is no turning back now, the wheel of change is already turning, and not even you can protect me if I fail Qiao.” The nuit turned back to his work, re-looking over his work with the labels, ”It is funny that to get the Archwizards attention one must do something so forbidden and dark. Surely its not war you are concerned about. Why are you really here?” he mused to himself as the Archwizard never bothered to talk to him until now. The figurehead had been distant to Ray, not offering any sort of support or help, and so the nuit had to seek other sources. Ray was a winner, and he would make sure he would be on the winning side.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tarot on February 10th, 2013, 11:02 am

A deep curtain of tension had fallen upon the laboratory. The confrontation would most likely be a purely verbal one, but it wouldn't be any less intense for it. There had been a time when merely speaking to Zarik Mashaen the way Rayage did would have condemned any Nuit into one of Sahova's correction facilities or worse. Mashaen was not a cruel man, but he had had to maintain order amidst his wizards. Now, however, he carried neither the authority nor the necessity to make examples of those who defied him. He was one man now, and Lector Qiao ran the show.

The Archwizard - the title was all he had left now - gave the Alchemist a long, hard stare as passion, zeal and hysteria bordering on madness transpired through his speech. There was no stopping Rayage, this much was clear. He would have his creatures if the world must go down in flames for it. Mashaen took in the entire tirade without blinking, indeed without a muscle twitching, in the manner of the Nuit. Being talked to with such insolence was a new experience to him; even Qiao was subtler with him these days. Still, he endured it, and when he spoke again, his voice was as serene as he could make it.

"It's not that I don't understand your reasons, Rayage. I am aware of the drive... the passion... the ambition... the desire to create. And yes, the will to power. These are all part and parcel of being a wizard on Sahova. We can do things here that no-one else in today's world could even attempt. We are an old lion that can still roar. You are wrong on one count, however. I may never have approached you, but I have been watching you closely. I need to choose carefully when to expose myself these days. And if you were just another Master Karte, I wouldn't have bothered coming today." He cast an appraising glance at the laboratory, kept in maniacal order by Rayage's perfectionism. "In truth, you possess a rare talent beyond the mere repetition of old techniques. I'd be inclined to believe you are Pycon's reincarnation if you weren't two centuries older than the man. It makes you special in Qiao's eyes. And in my eyes, it makes you a game-changer, a breaker of equilibrium... just like I used to be."

Mashaen paced slowly across the lab, staring at the specimens to be used up as subjects for the experiments. Most, if not all of these initial batches were doomed either way. "Three years ago, my own creature, Supervisor Drainira took advantage of my foolish mistakes and betrayed Sahova. She attempted to destroy the Citadel before she left. I spent seasons trying to figure out why she did that. As a Supervisor, vengeful feelings should be alien to her. Also, the way she had her followers stockpile volatile substances over entire decades exposed her plan to quite a few risks. She knew we didn't have the resources to pursue her. Why would a perfectly rational being go to such great lengths then? At first I thought she'd done it to free me from my duties to Sahova, and it is indeed possible that it may have been part of the reason, but not the main part. It wasn't until recently... until the foreigners came with their ships and you embarked on this project, that I realized. Drainira had seen this all along. She predicted my loss of influence and the rise of Qiao's star in the wake of her betrayal. She foresaw the new course in Sahova, and knew it would pose a serious threat."

The Archwizard looked pensive. "To her, and to the world. She is a Supervisor, she doesn't view the two things as separate. So maybe, from your point of view, Qiao is indeed right. He can make Sahova's name great and hallowed in a way I never could. Also, he might make it so there will be no-one left to sing it. I can't change your mind, I can't give you a better deal than his. All I can do is offer a bit of advice. I know your chances of success are significant, but you don't know what that success means yet."

"If you must make something, Rayage, then make people. Or make monsters. Don't make something in between, the way I did. Nothing good will come from that." The Archwizard had spoken his piece, fully knowing it would likely fall on deaf ears. For that kind of hybrid was exactly what tickled most of those who embarked on the journey of the homunculus. He prepared to leave, his conscience lighter if nothing else.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Rayage on February 11th, 2013, 3:13 am

When the Archwizard was done speaking there was silence. The tension which hung in the air dissipated as Rayage relaxed a bit. It seemed that the former leader of the island wasn’t going to use force to stop him. He was wholly ready for it, but it never came. Instead the nuit heard the sincerity in the other wizards voice, and that… was rather unexpected. It stunned him. Never before had he had not to argue his point over and over. It was quite refreshing, almost moving. Though he knew that he had to go on as promises meant nothing until fulfilled. He would not be looked down on as a failure, and he would not be looked down on a creator.

”Archwizard.” His tone had softened a bit, and there was no trace of the arrogance before which was in his voice. The words he spoke now came from the very core of his being, it was the drive which made up his existence, ”Do not worry about what is to come, for it has not happened yet, and there is no way of knowing, for certain, what can be.” he spoke as a man who had given up on fate, ”I will not allow the world to fall more into this abyss of chaos. This world is a dangerous place, and I have children to think about after all. If anything I will restore Alahea and this land to its former glory.” he turned to stare at the Archwizard looking him in the eyes, ”For the first time I can think about what is next. For the first time in my life, with the homunculus on its way, I can think about how I want my children to live in this world, and I have concluded that, as is, this world is too dangerous.”

”Please don’t mistake me for a fool. I know there will always be danger, but for too long chaos and the darkness that is ignorance has plagued this land, the world over. I do not wish for my children to grow up in such a dark place. What is next is the restoration of Alahea itself, or at least the establishment of a colony on the mainland which we can then slowly expand our influence from. Sahova will create a brighter world, a safer world, a world of profound understanding. No longer will people blame magic for the Valterrian when it was the gods themselves, and the bane of us all, emotion. No, people will hail magic, embrace it as the arts lead to a finer understanding of the world itself. Magic will save Mizahar. No longer will people live in fear of the dark. Understanding and knowledge will flow freely, all guided by the ancient Sahovans. We will save this world from own chaotic tendencies, and conquer the darkness draped over the lands.”

”As Alaheans we all reach for the sky.” as he said that the nuit brought both hands above his head as if he was ‘reaching for the sky’, ”but more importantly, we stare into the sun.” he said quite cryptically. Alchemists have a flair for metaphors and symbolism, ”We know what knowledge is. If we can restore that then we can pave the way to a brighter future. The world has been left in the dark for far too long, that I agree with you about. However, military force still must be initiated to see this goal achieved. Do you know why?” he questioned him, bringing his hands down and gave a quick glance around his laboratory as if the entire situation would change in the mere moments he was staring at the ceiling, ”Because of human nature. Those with power are loath to give it up.” he sighed, ”I’m no supporter of war, but there is hardly any other way. I’ve lived through 250 years, about, of war.” the truth is even longer than that, even before he was a nuit there was war with Suvan.

”As I said before, those with power are loath to give it up. They will fight tooth and nail to retain their title and rank, but what if there is no room for their selfishness in the new world? They would have to back down, and… Well, in the face of a growing empire these leaders, the ones who are blind the light which we bring the world, are like weeds in a garden. In order for the garden to thrive these weeds need plucked, and rid of.” he said making a motion with his hands as if he were pulling weeds from the ground and tossing them aside. ”There is no room for weeds in a garden.” these words he truly believed.

Even though the nuit would not say it aloud, he had come to the silent conclusion that if Qiao made a world unsuitable for his children then he would be nothing more than a weed himself. Qiao would have to be plucked…

"Thank you, Archwizard. Though your concerns are not needed, but your advice appreciated." the truth to this statement was lost in the emotionless way which it was said, "I do not intend to create monsters, or people. Why would I want to create something so flawed? There are plenty of people in this world already. I wouldn't really be adding anything to it, now would I? I will create something new, something perfect, something worthy of being called my child. They will be loved." They will be the bringers of this new world. For the first time Ray had time to think about 'what is next', and thanks the to Archwizard he has come to several conclusions.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tarot on April 19th, 2013, 9:13 pm

The Archwizard took Rayage's speech in without so much as blinking, though its content spoke for itself. Gods... staring at the sun... weeds in the garden... creating perfection. Zarik Mashaen had spent his mortal life in a similar state of mind, and found himself wondering if he had sounded like Rayage, too. Few things were as illuminating as watching one's own madness reflected in one's fellow man. The terrifying irony of it all was in the lateness. Only now that he'd lost all power to change things, did he realize anything about the nature of magic. This was the well-oiled mechanism Mashaen himself had crafted. He had been so successful with Sahova that the island had turned on him and swallowed him up, as if possessing a life of its own.

"I understand." The tone was gelid, matching the Alchemist's own. There was no further need for discussion. In truth, Mashaen asked himself what he'd even hoped to achieve coming here. Qiao had set something in motion that nobody short of the divine could hope to stop. Nor would the gods intervene this time. The thing was too delicate, and too many even in the pantheon would only see the potential for their own gain. "I pray that you do not fly too close to the sun. Perhaps we will meet again in the aftermath of your endeavor." He cast a final glance at the Alchemical apparatus and turned around with a jerking motion. Soon afterwards he was out of the laboratory, leaving Rayage alone with the specimens.

The apprentices trickled back in. If they had listened to any part of the exchange, they did not show it. Any half-intelligent being would be able to guess that the conversation had been less than friendly. Rayage had had the audacity - call it courage or foolishness - to openly stand against the Archwizard, certainly one of the top five mortal wizards left in the world. A couple of the younger Nuit looked at him with a little more respect than before.

It wasn't long at all before work resumed in full. The atmosphere was somewhat tense, but the team was making decent progress, and soon everything was ready for the first transmutation. Usually, in an experiment with so many steps, you started with the more plentiful raw materials, and moved to the scarcer ones when you were certain the circle was functioning well and at peak efficiency. By all logical accounts, group SLS was to pave the way on the first day, thus saving the more precious Kelvics for later. Steel-like skin. The steel bars came from a golem-manned forge deep in the Citadel. Qiao himself had authorized an upgrade of the golems involved in the process, thus leading to a ten percent increase in purity specifically for this experiment.

The various animals and plants were placed in the slots around the large Alchemical ring, a large horizontal model spanning about thirty feet across. You would be hard pressed to find anything this large outside of Sahova these days. The fish would be inserted into the slots inside a crystal container with a minimum of water to keep them alive. Others were simply fit in the slots and kept strapped there in various ways. None of the apprentices dared express concern in front of Rayage, but the wildly different reagents in this one reaction was much more than most of them had ever contemplated.

"We can initiate the transmutation at any time, Master," one of the apprentices whispered in deference. Rayage would have to lead the process, but no fewer than six younger Nuit would assist him in operating the massive Alchemical ring.
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Rayage on April 20th, 2013, 1:44 am

Rayage likes to talk. Talking is something he has been doing for many, many years now. He was a manipulator of sorts, and he liked to take risks, albeit calculated ones, carefully calculated ones. Sometimes they paid off, but sometimes they got him into even more trouble than before, such as in Ravok. However it was this quality about Ray, the power –the ability- to make him seem useful to anyone for anything, it was that quality which was his survival instinct. It was that quality which allowed him to live for well over seven hundred years. It was his brilliant ever turning manipulating mind which got him everything so far. He had rolled the die in Sahova and it cast him in snake eyes. Perhaps he is less of a wizard and more of a snake?

The Archwizards last words left Ray wondering, but he soon waved them off. He was sure that he had discouraged the Archwizard enough that the man would not talk to him again. However, time will tell if they will meet again or not. It’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility. He wondered how pleasant the man would be in the face of Rays success. Would he be jealous? Would he recognize that Ray is no fool? Though before he got too caught up daydreaming the possibilities and outcomes reality hit him. He needed a product before anything can happen, and so with the Archwizard gone the apprentices came wandering back in like lost little sheep. He had a project to direct, oversee, and accomplish. He could not allow the Archwizard to distract him. The creation of a homunculus was a fragile thing.

The nuit helped with the loading of the alchemy circle, and before they started the transmutation Ray couldn’t help but to look over the circle one last time, making sure everything was in place. This was the first step of many to come. He could feel the excitement wash over him, the intense heat of the moment making him feel as if he were high, but he smiled and nodded, ”Yes, yes, of course.” he said, his voice a little shaky. It was just dawning him that this was the start of it all, the beginning and the end of his journey, the start of something new, different, and the completion of his lifes work. It was a little overwhelming for him, but he tried to keep composure. He needed to lead this project, and lead he shall.

Taking a step forward towards the circle the nuit drew his dagger, ”We shall proceed then.” he announced, ”On my mark we begin,” he said holding out his left hand, palm outwards, dagger in the right, ”On my mark we Charge, and then on my mark again we will Activate. There is no room for error here.” he explained, drawing the dagger down onto the very tip of his middle finger on the left hand. The dagger bit in. The skin had not been very hard to break at all. Precious ichor came from the small wound as the nuit drew the dagger out, and kneeled almost ceremoniously at the keystone of the circle. Hand pressed down firmly on the keystone he looked across and watched, waited for the others to follow suit.

The nuit reveled in the connection he felt in the circle. He could feel the energy, the djed, of all the things set into the charger slots, and he smiled. He was controlling everything, and with their help his dream would finally come true. He was taking the first steps (or perhaps the first steps were taken long ago) and he was not going to look back now. Only forward. Only forward into the future, into the sun itself, for the future always offered hope for dreams to come to fruition. ”Ready?” he asked, ”We are starting.” Yes… come to fruition, come into reality this dream dreamed for countless ages.

It was after that warning that Rayage himself started to mentally command the djed throughout the circle. The hardest part was getting the reaction going, then it was all a matter of concentration in controlling the spinning, spiraling mass of accelerated djed so it didn’t ‘derail’ and destroy anything or anyone. More and more he willed the djed to move, to come off, to spread about the circle. It was hard at first, but at the signs of success, the feeling of djed ripping from the various plants and animal life within, the process had begun.

It was quite something to watch what happens to the animals and plants as their very identity is ripped from them. It was quite interesting to think about the aftermath, what they were reduced to, and to see, observe, and study the effects. Fascinating really to think a circle can have so much potential to change things, but magic itself was fascinating. The djed flux of the circle was gaining speed as well as identity as more and more of it was forcefully ripped from the specimens. Not losing a beat the Master Alchemist willed even more, envisioned the circle spinning even faster.

Soon enough the hum of energy could be heard coming from the circle itself as the djed was accelerated more and more. By now they had ripped all identity from everything within the circle and now all that was left was to accelerate it to a suitable speed, one which will do justice for the seven of them controlling the circle. Was it a coincidence that their number was seven? Did the number have a deeper meaning? Faster and faster still the djed flowed. The nuit watched some of the other alchemists expressions as they helped him with this circle. Some of them truly amused him.

Long since the djed started to become visible, the hum of power growing louder and more fierce, and yet Ray still not back down. He needed to push himself, push this experiment, push everything to its limit, tendering on the edge… Though he soon found that even his team could not accelerate the circle any faster, they as a collective have reached their limit. Nodding to them the alchemist counted down, ”Three” there was a pause, as Rayage tried to raise his voice above the noise, ”Two.” he tried to boom again, ”One.” he paused looking at all the other alchemists present, ”Activate the circle.” he said, bounding away from it, disconnecting the energy while giving the djed its final push towards the center. This was the first step. What would the result be? The undead shook in excitement as he watched and waited.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)