Meeting of Centuries Past (Rayage, Wrenmae)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Mirage on November 16th, 2012, 7:52 pm

The golem would lead both Wrenmae and Rayage past the warehouses, coming upon the start of the winding path to the Citadel where they would find a fine horseless carriage awaiting them. Moving forward the Overseer would open the carriage door for them both, climbing aboard once they were settled and the carriage would be off, traveling the few miles between the Docks and the Citadel. The journey would be uneventful, the Golem offering no talk or conversation in the least, but then that was to be expected. He was simply there to see them to their final destination.

The carriage would take them to the first portcullis before the Vestibule, stopping and allowing all passengers to disembark to walk the rest of the way. Past the TAR and into the Courtyard, which was filled with quiet whispers from unseen forces. The Golem would pause on this path, turning to address the pair, "Qiao has instructed only Rayage be brought before him, thus your servent may await your return in your lab. A Follower will be dispatched to see him to it." This was a clear indication that Wrenmae was to wait where he was, and with that the Overseer would turn, continuing down the path to a fork, taking the left path that would lead to the Dungeon.

OOCHere is where your path's split :)

Rayage:

If he had chosen to follow, Rayage would find himself being lead through the Dungeons of Sahova. Passing cages filled with various test subjects of differing species the pair would take several turns before going up a set of stairs near the end of a long hallway, letting them out on the next floor which was a maze of corridors. Doors lined the hallways with signs written in the Ancient tonuge, describing the contents as being "special" subjects used in various research projects. The Overseer would lead Rayage to a room at the far end of the hallway, opening it for him and closing it as soon as he entered.

Rayage would find himself in a small room with walls of stone painted black. A single lantern lit the space, and in the middle of the room there was a chair occupied by a woman bound hand and foot to the chair and gagged. Her body was covered in bruises, scrapes and lesions, and her eyes spoke of great fear. In her ear there was a simple copper ring, a method used to prevent Kelvics From transforming. Just behind the woman stood none other than Qiao himself. His hands rested on either side of the woman's shoulders, and while he spoke his eyes were still on his bound victim, "Well Rayage, it is a pleasure to see you again. I trust you bring back results?" he smiled, looking at Rayage with an air of superiority, "No, what am I asking, of course you have. You are not foolish enough to return here empty handed are you?"

Wrenmae:

Wrenmae would be left alone then, his only companion the occasional ghost that approached the barrier before quickly disapearing once more. His wait would not be long, however, for very soon after Rayage and the Golem disapeared down the forked path another, much smaller golem would appear. It resembled something close to a mouse on wheels, even having a little tail that flashed so that it could be easily seen. With a tiny voice it squeaked, "Follow Follow" Over and over again until Wren began to follow it as it moved down the path.

The little golem would lead Wren down the right fork, taking him passed two large doors into the place known as the Gug Andjak. Wren would find himself in a long hallway that stretched to the left and to the right, and before him another set of double doors that would lead to the labs on this level. The Follower golem, however, lead Wrenmae left down the hallway to a slanted downward path that curved ever so slightly. They would then continue on this path (which appeared to take the place of stairs so as to allow all golems to traverse it) down several levels, each one numbered oddly to what one would expect, until they reached the very bottom floor. Here the Follower would lead Wrenmae out of the makeshift staircase into the long hall once more, stopping before the set of double doors, allowing Wren to open it before dashing through, leading him until they reached Lab 45-E. With another squeaky exclamation the golem would say, "Destination Reached. Have a good day." Before turning and rolling away.

Wrenmae would be left to enter the lab of his own accord, or do whatever else might catch his fancy, though he should probably drop off Rayage's bags first.

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Wrenmae on November 16th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Once, Wrenmae would have scoffed at the word 'servant'. Now he respectfully nodded, giving Rayage the space he needed to meet with the archmage of Sahova. The nuit had spoken to Wrenmae on the journey over about the necessity of his actions in Sahova. Treat the nuits as superiors, never attack a nuit, be scarce when they sought test subjects, always stay aware, remember your place as a pulser.

Wrenmae had swallowed the more vicious of his retorts, likewise keeping Zan from materializing and demanding they go elsewhere. Sahova promised to be a place of deep and meaningful learning, not to mention the supposed Fragment hidden in those dark halls. So, very well, he'd play the part of the sycophant then, a willing servant who hears, is scarce, and remains respectful of the walking carrion within. Rayage had assured him that his treatment would be as a pulser only in the presence of other nuits. Without reputation or worth among the undead, one was disposable or...worse, a body a nuit might want.

Purposefully for his entrance, Wrenmae had morphed his face, drawing lines of age upon it and graying his hair, writing a puckered scar across his mouth and cheek. He wasn't what appeared to be in 'good' condition. Perhaps in that way, he would escape too much attention.

The mouse-like golem led him onward. In to the darkness he walked, following the creature down the stairs, noting the passageways he'd taken and the strange numbers and lettering on the doors he'd past.

When the mouse deposited him outside a room, Wrenmae took a deep breath, smelling the pungent rot and odor of age, groaned under the weight of Rayage's things, and pushed open the door.

Inside, he was alone, the cavernous room sported an incredible array of alchemic circles, cages, and materials. A layer of dust had settled in Rayage's absence, but the room still hummed with power. Smiling, Wrenmae relieved the things in his hands and perused the lab, noting the locks of the alchemic circles and, finally, Rayage's desk. There, a home of papers sat nested together. The professor's stilted handwriting filled them top to bottom.

Taking a few, Wrenmae glanced, noting the name of experiments, the methods used, the results.

An overwhelming number of these were failures, tests in organic alchemy that ended with bloody death. Still, the scope of the time it had taken to amass these trials was staggering. Many of Wrenmae's lifetimes had been lived in the pursuit of ultimate alchemical mastery...a process Rayage appeared to be close to possessing.

Pushing Djed into his eyes, Wrenmae glanced over the room again, noting the alchemical radiation floating off the circles, even after all this time.

How long had he been gone? How was all of this his?

Ultimately, Wrenmae was a novice in the studies of his companion. He knew origin now, and certainly, that story was to be believed, but did he know of the years that followed?

No.

What else was the old creature hiding?

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on November 17th, 2012, 8:45 am

Rayage had spent quite a lot of time on the journey here, most of it actually, telling Wrenmae all about the society that was Sahova, how to behave, what his place was, and the role he was supposed to play. The nuit spared no words each one was blunt and direct. He did not want the man to get any misconceptions of flowers and rainbows of magical knowledge. If he wanted to research something he was to ask Rayage, and Ray would see to it that he could at the very least retrieve a book from the library. Though something the nuit neglected to tell him was that all the books were in nadar-canoch. He wondered if the man could read yet alone speak the language. Rayage surely wasn’t going to read the book to him… maybe.

Once they were into Sahova safely the golem turned to address them both. The Alchemist only nodded, smiling he had been wanting to talk to Qiao himself for quite a while. Following the golem Ray soon found himself in a part of Sahova he hadn’t visited yet: the dungeons. He walked past glancing at all the cages and labels. They were amazing. He had no idea that Sahova actually housed these creatures. He wondered why he hadn’t gone here before. Though that didn’t matter right now he was going to meet Qiao and report to him what he found and the reason for returning in such a ‘gloomy’ time.

Entering past the overseer golem Ray found quite a sight await him, something not unexpected given the scenery on the way here, but gave him shivers nonetheless. What was wrong with him lately? He found more and more of those human nuances in himself and it bugged him to no end. He had spent too much time out of the reach of Sahova, and here he was to be addressed by no other than Lector Qiao himself. Then, then came Qiaos challenging words, just like the first time they met. He shook his head, ”After all this time you would think I’d never do that to you.” he said staring at the woman, ”I’ve come back with the knowledge and confidence in my skill.” he said, ”I am ready to create that homunculus I promised you and start that revolution which we both dream about.” he nodded, ”It is time that change touched this place and bring it once again to life, wake Sahova up from its dream, so it may act, so it may do, so it may achieve its higher purpose, so it may rule.”

”Master, it is time to show the world the might of our magic, and once again build the empire that fell so long ago. You will usher in a new generation, a revolution of thinking in itself. It is time that thought is gifted with the energy of labor so it may build itself within reality. I can see it, this time, this change is within our grasp. I bet you feel it too, that churning of forces, the grinding of powers of change and time and fate itself.” he laughed, ”No, I do not come empty handed but I come to you a new person, for I have finally perfected my art. Transformed, I will give you the tools to transform the world, all you have to do is give me the ability to craft you the tools.”

”Though,” he put up a finger, ”there is something else I wanted to report to you.” he told him, ”A storm is coming.” he said not sounding too happy about it, ”Consisting of the ignorant knights of Syliras. They are going to try to take from us some artifact through the use of force. Upon realizing this, I set course for my return… early.” he said as if trying to choose his words carefully, ”I got ahead but not by long. If I had to estimate I’d say they would be here in seven to ten days.” he frowned, ”We have to be prepared because they will not listen to reason. These people are thick skulled. No better than barbarians. In fact their ‘scholar’ was laughable as well using made up logic that makes no sense. I suspect, like one of their esteemed knights I had the pleasure of meeting,” his voice was filled with sarcasm as he mentioned Imass, ”they will not back down. Sailing over here to make demands to us..” the nuit laughed, unable to finish his sentence, ”Just be prepared as they will be here in a matter of days.” he ended less than gracefully.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Mirage on November 18th, 2012, 5:54 am

Rayage:

"Time... Time indeed Rayage." These words were spoken softly as he addressed Rayage. The girl in the chair shivered visibly, her skin paling as Qiao continued on, "This is good news for you. It means you will be allowed to complete your research, so long as it brings about that which we discussed."

He chuckled, leaning down to get a better look at the girl's terrified features. A single finger brushed against her cheek, and what little color remained was sucked away as her eyes rolled back in her head. Drawing back once more Qiao looked to Rayage, "You say a storm is coming? The Syliran knights?" A scornful laugh escaped passed long dead lips as Qiao grinned, "Then a time for change truly has come. This is just what we have been awaiting for."

Instead of a surprised reaction Rayage would instead receive an almost giddy joy come from Qiao at the prospect of a force coming to Sahova. Almost as if he had been awaiting something like this for a long time. Reaching down Qiao would grasp the girl under her chin, forcing her head back so that he could look into her face. She writhed beneath him, her skin graying as veins began to spread beneath her skin. A guttural chocking sound escaped her lips as her eyes rolled back completely.

"We are ready. We have been ready for the last 500 years. Let them come, and we shall show them the true greatness that is Sahova."

The girl uttered one final gasp before falling limp. The veins had spread across her entire face and down her neck, tracing to the tips of her fingers as well. In moments she had been sucked dry, completely barren. With an absent
push Qiao knocked the girl and her chair onto the floor, steping over to come a bit closer to Rayage. Leaning close, closer than normal, he whispered softly, "Well then Rayage, how long until you finish my army?"

Wrenmae:

As it turned out Wren was not completely alone in the lab. The sound of the doors opening once more could be heard as a man stepped through the passageway. Pausing in the doorway he would narrow his eyes at the new comer, clearing his throat to get his attention, "Hey, you there. What are you doing here?"

The man wore a long robe of gray, the sleeves large and open. Though he dressed finely one could not ignore the fact that he was a nuit. This man was none other than Karte, Rayages master, though Wren might not know that at first glance.

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Rayage on November 19th, 2012, 6:28 am

The nuit was glad that he would be able, be allowed to finish his research on the island. Those words filled him with a certain amount of pride in himself and in his work. He would be sure that Master Qiao would get nothing but the best from him. This chance wasn’t something offered, but something earned. He needed to get him results on the homunculus project and it seemed that he was going to get the tools he needed, everything was falling into place. Oh how he thought and daydreamed about this, but it wasn’t reality yet. He would need to complete his research and give Qiao tangible results: his Homunculus!

They have been waiting for this? Rayage was set back by Qiaos response. Wait… was he waiting for someone else to cast the first stone? Something to provoke a response from Sahova beyond just defending themselves, having a reason to go inland… The nuits eyes once again fell upon the girl, bound and presented to Qiao. He wondered what she had done, but he dare not ask as he saw the girl grow even whiter. What was he doing to her? The chocking sounds disturbed him a little, but he listened to Qiao, whose confidence in Sahova was much different than it had been but a year ago. Has that much changed?

Then the girl collapsed, and she was forced from the chair and onto the floor. The master came up to Rayage, dangerously close, closer than he had ever got to Ray before. If he was living he was sure that every hair would be standing on end. The one man that could truly strike fear into Ray was right in front him, but he also inspired in him such confidence, such awe. When the question was asked the alchemist struggled for an answer, trying to make many calculations in his head, but even then that would be if everything went perfectly. Honestly he hadn’t had the entire formula worked out yet, but he was working on it. He knew that Qiao wouldn’t like that answer. Swallowing his pride he merely smiled at him, ”That depends,” he started, pausing as if to get Qiao to hang on his words, ”on the resources that I am given.” This. This was the game they played. A game that he dared to play with Qiao himself.

”You seem confident in your ability to drive off Syliras. Do you know what they are looking for?” he asked, curiosity getting the best of him as he was not privy to the knowledge. If there was anyone in Sahova who would know what is IN Sahova, it would be Qiao, as the de-facto leader.

OOCWrenmae, keep in mind that Rays notes are written entirely in Nadar-canoch. At his current understanding of the language he wont be able to -fully- grasp what is written

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Mirage on November 19th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Rayage:

Qiao raised an eyebrow at Rayage, "Do not tell me the filth of the outside world has tainted your confidence in Sahova. Have you allowed those fleshliness to alter your views?" Straightening Qiao turned, this time stepping ON the body as he crossed the room to a table against the wall, "It does not matter WHAT they are looking for, because no matter what the reason they have still come here, barred their fangs to us and offered up a challenge." Though he could not see it, Qiao smiled at this, "Like little pups that bark and snarl at the Lion, gaining confidence because it has not moved in ages."

From the table Qiao picked up a pair of cloves, slowly slipping them over his hands as he continued, "You will be given everything you require, full funding from Sahova as well as extra hands to aid you." The nuit turned, a dangerous look in his eyes as he folded his hands at his waist, "Sahova shall back you fully, but if you should fail we will take from you everything." That last statement hung in the silence for a tick or two, its meaning heavy and very clear. Either Rayage produced results or he would be stripped of his rank, his resources and perhaps even his life. With a light hearted chuckled Qiao walked to stand beside Rayage, not looking at him as he spoke, "I wish you the best of luck, and pray that you have many successes."

WIth that Qiao would leave the room, leaving Rayage to think and ponder. He would be free to leave whenever he wished, free to roam where he would, but still the burden of his task would be a heavy one.

OOCThat was Qiao's final say on the subject, and won't answer any further questions (mind games at play lol). Feel free to go back to your lab, or anywhere else. We can run this in any direction :). P.S. you will get to tell someone else specifically what the Knights are looking for.

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Wrenmae on November 20th, 2012, 2:53 am

The notes were hard to read, mostly written in the ancient tongue. His basic grasp of the language left him with an impression of failures, more failures than successes, but not the nature of the experiments. What, exactly, was Rayage working on down here? What had granted him such an immense laboratory? His goals of creating new life, is that why they put him here, protected in the shadows of this unholy sanctuary? Was it that the nuits were at least superstitious enough to hide in secret…when they spit at the gods?

But an abrupt voice brought Wren quickly from his considerations. Another nuit approached him, his dead face drawn in a surprisingly human expression of disapproval. Had Wrenmae not considered where he was, he might have mistaken Farke for an especially old man rather than the undead.

Remembering his manners, what Rayage had warned him, he dipped into a bow, placing the paper back on the desk neatly, “Apologies, lord nuit, my name is Wrenmae and I was Master Rayage’s bodyguard outside these shores. Noting my interest in Alchemy, he has allowed me to remain here as his attendant and pulser for the duration of his stay on Sahova.”

He did not raise his head to the nuit, keeping it lowered and respectful, “May I inquire as to how I might address you, lord nuit?”

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on November 23rd, 2012, 2:30 pm

The first question that came out of Qiaos mouth stunned Ray. Of course he had not let the pulsers shake his faith in the sheer power that Sahova held. They were a pre-valterrian research facility who specialized in war. It would be a foolish venture for anyone, no matter the age in which they lived, to sail to the island with such high demands. It would be a death wish to threaten such an entity. He knew that Slyrias probably hadn’t considered it, or thought past the initial orders. They were sheep. They were pawns. They were tools. Tools used for the pleasure of others. Now, why can’t there be more tools for Sahova? Because they already have enough toys or perhaps it is that they make their own? They did not require life. They had animation, automata, they had the power of magic on their side. Magic ruled the land, and magic bound it, forcing the wizards into endless research for more and more destructive power.

The nuit grinned when Qiao agreed to fully fund his research. Though, as he had learned, nothing is ever free in Sahova. Qiao expected results, just like last time, though this time was different. The nuit had more to lose. Yes, Rayage had a lot more at stake besides just his life. His reputation as a master wizard of Sahova was at stake. He would deliver. He would deliver. He would perform above and beyond. He would give the island the tools to breed a homunculus army; he only needed the parts to build the proper tools. Tools are used to make better tools. Those better tools are used to make even better tools, and those even better tools would be used to make even better tools. That is the process of progression, that is the art of transformation, that is the power of change. A small perspective shift, like a stone thrown into a pond, can cause many ripples. From those ripples even more thoughts are born and ideas expanded. For those who dare to challenge change, they will receive the benefit of a complete transformation.

”Luck has nothing to do with this.” he told Qiao as the master walked past, lowering his voice he finished his thoughts, ”And success is nothing compared to the journey taken to get to the point of understanding.” The nuit knew that it is not the magic that made a wizard so powerful. He knew that it wasn’t the skill at which one wielded the magic either that gave it power. He knew that it was how the magic was used that gave it its power and reputation. Some disciplines are so misunderstood. Some disciplines and some acts of magic are so… taboo that it is ridiculous. Though here, in Sahova, one can research what they want as long as they show results and proficiency, and as long as they show progression.

A moment after Qiao left the nuit thought about what exactly he wanted his homunculus to be. He hadn’t considered it before now, what he would be crafting, only the fact that he wanted to make one. Ray left his thoughts drift from one subject to another, one idea to another, flowing as he tried to connect and take what he wanted. They were going to be bred for war. They had to be war machines. They had to be powerful. They had to be unique. They had to be promising above all else. They had to be worth the effort put into them. They had to be ‘perfect’. He could not risk disappointing Qiao. He could not risk his rank, or name. He had to succeed, somehow…

Mind growing silent the nuit looked down at the body which was just left there. The woman didn’t stand a chance. With just a touch Qiao… Shaking his head the nuit took his leave of the place. He needed to get back to his lab, he needed to start planning his homunculus and he needed to check up on Wrenmae. Hopefully the man had managed not to get himself into any trouble when he was meeting with Qiao. He was slightly troubled by those thoughts. Ray had some sway in the politics, but it wasn’t a lot. There were some things that Ray couldn’t protect the mortal from no matter how powerful he is.

Deciding to return to his lab the nuit made his way through the maze-like citadel. Stair after stair the nuit descended until finally he noted floor 45. Going to his lab he looked up at the door with some pleasure. It had been too long since he had been in his lab, standing outside the door for a chime he remembered when he had first encountered the lab. It was something that he could not have imagined even in his dream. It was well equipped and he could always order stuff if the materials were not already present in his lab. Opening the door the nuit made his way in to see that Wrenmae had made it safely to the lab, but also that Master Karte was here as well.

”Master Karte,” Rayage addressed the nuit first, ”you are just the person I wanted to run into.” he smiled at him, ”It has been far too long.” he said, ”But I have returned with the confidence that I need to craft my homunculus.” he announced rather proudly. ”I was wondering if you would not be interested in a discussion about it. I find myself at a loss at what exactly to make. You are more than accomplished in Alchemy, and have created a homunculus yourself…” he drifted off like a lost school child unable to ask what was really on his mind. Karte had to be the one nuit that Rayage respected most on the island, and it has been far too long since they have had an insightful discussion.

”Also,” he clasped his hands together, ”Sahova will be giving its full support to this project.” he told him, ”We,” he was careful to include the master in this, ”will be getting all the funding and support we need. Even extra hands to help with the project.”[/b[ he said, announcing the more than desirable results of his rather short conference Qiao. [b]”And it seems you have met Wrenmae.” he gestured to the Pulser, ”He served as my sword inland, protecting me from all sorts of dangers.” he grinned, ”He also has a healthy interest in Alchemy.” he concluded the short introduction, ”Wrenmae, this is Master Karte.” he looked at Wrenmae for the first time entering the lab.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)