Uldr

God of undeath

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Within the confines of this form lies the tangible proof of the prayers of the faithful throughout Mizahar.

Uldr

Postby Tarot on January 9th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Image Uldr is the god of the undead. He is the patron god of the creatures that defy nature and the laws of life; oftentimes, he is the one gifting them with powers of fear and destruction so they can mete out their revenge on the living. To borrow Uldr's power is to succumb to mad hunger and desire, becoming a pawn in his quest for a world filled with the children of undeath.

Uldr can take on many guises, but he will usually look like a child or young man with a sad, sullen expression and tears of blood flowing down his black eyes. He dresses formally and rather elegantly, with a penchant for suits that look very creepy on such a young child. A feeling of overwhelming loneliness emanates from his person. He sounds kind and soft-spoken, if excessively formal, but his words subtly aim to provoke anger and resentment towards basically anyone.

Uldr believes that unlife is the ultimate evolution of life, and aims to make it the only possible kind of life. He thinks that the cycle of reincarnations in the afterlife is fundamentally wrong, because it forces souls to basically start over just as their existences becomes truly interesting. The only way out of this cycle is through eternal unlife, which he provides to any who ask for it and possess enough potential to be useful to him.

In order to ensure that life is converted to unlife, Uldr's price for power is hunger for the living or their flesh and blood. The only undead to escape this curse are those who do not borrow power from Uldr, such as the Nuit. Uldr unleashes his augmented undead into the world, knowing that they will spread death and destruction in their wake as they take care of their unfinished business. This will, in turn, generate pain and suffering leading to more mortals walking the path of unlife.

Uldr is a silver tongue, incredibly skilled at playing on the weaknesses of people in order to fuel their hatred and convince them to accept his offer. He does so politely, almost apologetically, but actually pushing forward his agenda without a care for anyone else.

Cults of Uldr tend to fall into one of two categories - those who merely wish to acquire eternal life and those who actually seek to spread Uldr's influence. Uldr is more interested in the latter type, though any reason for seeking unlife is fine by him; they all become his hunger-driven slaves in the end.

Undead serve Uldr hoping to acquire more power, or be freed from their eternal hunger. While the first is much more likely to happen, some of Uldr's chief subordinates need to be able to think more clearly than the rest and are given a reprieve from their cravings. Mortals serve Uldr in hopes of becoming powerful undead, whether or not they understand what the condition entails.

Uldr's relationship with the Nuit is more complex, and scholars disagree on the reason why he taught Human wizards how to create undead of their own, unaffected by the hunger of hatred. Many Nuit feel an obligation to worship Uldr of their own will for this reason. It is likely that Uldr felt the benefit of allowing the Nuit to exist outweighed the loss.

Uldr is eager to give out Gnosis marks, which come with the aforementioned desire to consume people. Powers from his marks are quite varied, but none are kind on the living they affect. Uldr seeks to spread a chain of fear and pain among them, a world of avengers and avengers on the avengers; this shows in the Gnosis powers he gives out.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Uldr

Postby Evalin on January 8th, 2014, 7:29 pm

2nd of Winter, 513 AV

It was with some trepidation that Evalin settled herself on the floor of her cage, resting upon her knees with hands folded carefully in her lap. Her mind did not know quite where to start, for such things as this were knew to the nuit. She did not... pray often, and if she did it had never been to the likes of Uldr. Now, however, she found herself at a loss of what she might do. now there was no path for her to follow, no clear options for her to take. She was trapped, without a means of escape as of yet... As great as her pride was, the Immortal knew her own limitations.

"Think this as not a prayer for help... but rather as one to catch the attention of my own benefactor." She started, closing her eyes and trying to connect with that pulse of divinity within her, "I know not if you hear me, and if you do I doubt that mine words are of any consequence to you. Still I find myself willing to try, to barter for the attention of my most hated god." Evalin gritted her teeth at the words she spoke. The girl felt laid low before this being who stood so far above her, and yet she could not deny the need was great, "Bend I now my own pride, and feel honored you should for this." She bit her tongue, opening her eyes to look around, hoping that her words had not gone to far. When she was not stricken from the world in a breath Evalin sighed in relief, but then caught herself and shook her head, "I fear you not," she lied, "But hold I the greatest respect and hatred for you, so great that it might last through eternity."

Chewing her bottom lip the nuit found herself at a loss once more, the complexities of prayer becoming all the more apparent the more she spoke, "Though I would never wish to bring such a menial thing before you, I would find myself at a loss... Find I in this place, caged as an animal, in the den of beastly serpents with no means to escape or to further your will. Perhaps, in time, I would find ways to extract the good of this situation, yet I find myself impatient and wishing to dwell here no longer than I might wish. Thus... I would offer you an exchange of sorts." She opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling of her cage, but really she looked beyond it to the heavens, "I am a worthy and true follower of your beliefs, and so as your second marked I call to you for aid now. Send to me assistance, a means to further my ends here and I will make you a promise. I shall bring hatred down upon this place, and allow the gift that comes with such to be spread among all in this region. Grant me this assistance and your will shall be done, by the hands that shall one day destroy Fate itself."

Evalin fell silent, tilting her head and listening. A chime passed, then two, and then three with no reply to the pleas. Closing her eyes the nuit nodded, "Thine will be done, and so shall I spread the hatred far and wide whether the assistance is granted or not. In the end, it matters not what deals are made. Such as you have ordered me, I will carry out to the fullest despite the trials ahead."
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Uldr

Postby Michael Kyber on February 28th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Winter 89, 516AV

In a grove deep in the heart of the Bronze Woods, with the light of the moon casting illuminating silver rays through the gaps of the trees, Michael knelt before a smooth, tombstone sized boulder. With a small bite he'd brought forth a tiny trickle of blood from his thumb, and now used it to paint the symbol of The Returned: a skeletal hand reaching upwards as if pushing its way out of the ground and rising up from death.

Once the symbol was complete Michael closed his eyes and put his hands together in prayer, ignoring the bleeding from his thumb.

"My lord Uldr, do you hear me?

As your faithful servant, Rahn the twice-marked, bid me do, I have been accepted as a squire into the Syliran Knights order. Their cause of lasting order is a noble one my lord, and one I find myself readily sharing, but it is second always to the vision you my lord have granted me of a world free from the terror of death. I shall fight for them my lord, and as I do so I will do all I can to keep your chosen safe from their blades and bring them into your embrace. The knights shall learn that the only way their dream of peace eternal can come true is within a world that you rule, and in doing so will become your greatest assets.

But it is now, as I take my first true tastes of conflict and struggle, that I realize just how powerless I am . I understand how much pain and hardship I face on the road I walk, and how much I have to risk in order to master the arts of magic I hunger for, and I confess my lord that I am afraid. I fear for my body, my mind, and my life. And that fear distracts me from the mission I face.

And so I ask of you my lord, watch over me. When my body grows tired, give me the strength to continue on. When my mind is fogged with doubt, send me a sign to remind me what it is that I fight for. And if I should fall, bring me back again into your into your ranks.

My will is thy will, and thy will shall be done."

Michael speaking in: Common | Fratava | Nader-Canoch
Other people speaking is in green. Monsters are in black
Thoughts/Flashbacks are Italicized. Shouting/Dramatic Speech is in Bold
Character Sheet | Storyteller Secrets | Scrapbook | Plotnotes
Thank you to Prophet for the beautiful BBCode.
Michael Kyber
A Good Man with a Bad Cause

Words: 118838
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes