[The Courtyard of Jackals] Auditions (Corneliun)

Jet'a the Dira Jackal takes an audience

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Postby Colombina on January 14th, 2013, 2:25 am

"Well, you're lucky Naret isn't here today," The Jackal said across the sparse table. "He'd have thrown you out so fast you wouldn't have known whether to shyke or go blind."
When Corneliun's request to join the Jackals was discovered to not be an elaborate farce, the Foxes at the gate had conferred briefly and cast the unluckiest of them out to find someone who made these sorts of decisions. It took half a bell to arrange things, probably an attempt to see if Corneliun was determined to press on. Once the gears began though, the Jackals were swift. Corneliun was marched through the courtyard where Eypharians were pitching spears into bags of sand and into a small office.
The middle-aged Eypharian he spoke with now had not arrived until chimes later. He had eyed the table and chair with a kind of dread before reluctantly taking a seat. The Eypharian's shoulders were perpetually thrown back and the elaborate chair seemed too stiff for his sharp energy. He was a man born to the wrong era. If Lhex was kinder, he would have placed Jet'a in a time where emperors still fought, and cities were wrenched from barbarians' grimy fists.
"I however," he continued, "Am in a fine mood. You can only entertain or surprise me at this point... So why do you seek to become a Jackal?"
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Corneliun on January 14th, 2013, 9:35 am

17th winter 512,
Morning- 10th Bell

It was perhaps sheer stubbornness and determination that got Corneliun this far, and he had received more than enough time to gather his thoughts, wits and intelligence, and his skills if need be. He was nervous of course, but he tried his best not to show it. So as Corneliun stood to attention on the other side of the table, watching the Eypharian Jackal take a seat he prepared his story. Even if it was to simply entertain.
"Why do I seek to become a Jackal," Corneliun paused as he brought his thoughts forward once more. His stood straight, and any element of doubt and worry that may have previously filled his features had been replaced by a look of determination. It was such a simple question, but it was simple questions like this that had the most complex and broadest variety of answers.
"I seek it for right now, I feel it is the best place for me. It is here that I can prove myself whilst being myself, to allow judgement to be passed despite my blood. I want to be able to respect myself without any of this hierarchy business," For a moment the mixed race paused, taking in the air checking his words against his mental list, but his eyes did not waver from the Jackal's, "But most of importantly, it is here that I can be put to good use and that my abilities can be brought down into a point of focus, instead of being wasted."
He gave a small nod with his head. It was all said and done, with the judgement of the Jackal was now to be made.

"...He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom..."

Common | Arumenic | Isur | Thought
Corneliun
Player

Words: 74077
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Colombina on January 15th, 2013, 1:09 am

Jet'a made a quick appraisal of the mixed blood. Would Corneliun be the kind of weapon he would be confident using?
"Social advancement," he roughly condensed Corneliun's answer, "Not an uncommon reason. We are less stringent than the gilded for certain." Jet'a made a gesture with one arm, instructing Corneliun to sit on the stool opposite him. "I will have you know we are in the employ of the Pressorah. She and the order of the city come before our ambitions. Serving both well are cardinal to advancement, it is not only might that earns a rank."
Jet's made a basic gesture derived from High Arumenic, forgetting that it might be lost on his audience. It was a quick flashing of the palm with the subtle flare of fingers, indicating a willingness to humor, but finished with a sharp flick that warned the other to not waste this gracious gift of time.
"So what are the abilities you think deserving of focus? I am open to a demonstration. We have a large courtyard and all manner of weapons to try and Foxes full of hops and piss who would happily spar."

Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on January 15th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Corneliun gave a small nod of acceptance after the Jackal made the gesture to the stool opposite him, and quickly sat himself down. But the mixed blood still remained alert and attentive to the Jackal’s words, listening carefully, even when gesture of High Arumenic came forth. For the time Corneliun remained silent, barely picking up an understanding of what was being said. If it was not for the movement of the hands, Corneliun would indeed be lost. But what he did understand was important, he was not here to waste the precious time that had been given to him, he was here to use it and to prove himself.

And then the question came once more, one with the same simplicity that could bring forth multiple answers.
“Whatever abilities are require the necessary focus to serve the Pressorah and her people,” was the first part of his answer, but after a pause the mixed blood continued “be it to focus upon the use of the body and weapons, or the mind and its cunning.”

For a moment Corneliun was quiet, a small frown forming as he thought. In honesty there was little else he could say without being too blunt, and so he removed the holding on it.
“Excuse bluntness, but if you were to ask me to Shyke, I’d ask how much and what colour. And so if is a demonstration you ask for then I will supply one with the weapon I know best, the bastard sword. Unless you want me to use a more traditional weapon of the Foxes.”

"...He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom..."

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet

Postby Colombina on January 20th, 2013, 11:23 pm

"Rather precise, I see." Jet'a chuckled. "If I said a rose colored headdress was required for entry, I have a suspicion you would wear it with absolute gravity."
The Eypharian stood, grateful to do so. "The approach will serve you well. No one is going to favor you here. Especially not, Parushta." A grim smile abbreviated the phrase. He would let the other Jackal introduce himself. It would be a shame to take that "pleasure" from... who was the man in front of him? It didn't matter anyway. His name was Foysha until he earned one better.
"Go to the yard where they were shooting. Ask Toneb to get you a long tohafyu sword." A hand brushed toward the door, dismissing Corneliun.

A tohayfu turned out to be a blunt version of the proper weapon with its edges dusted in a bright powdered pigment. It was well weighted, but worthless unless he planned to bludgeon a man to death. Toneb shook his head at the sword as he delivered it to Corneliun, touching only the handle. The sword's length prohibited effective dual-wielding for the race, so it was a scorned blade.
The practicing Jackals smelled the imminent test and cleared the yard in an orderly wave. The skulk in training was about to be entertained in their favorite way: a test of prowess.
Practice arrows clattered into earthen containers and someone brushed loose sand off the packed red earth to expose a large teal circle painted on the ground. There were some other mysterious stains revealed in the process, but they didn't give anyone important pause. Corneliun's audience was an orderly one, they didn't hoot or cheer, but stared with passive interest as Jet'a emerged with a four-armed Sagal Jackal following behind him.
They spoke in crisp Arumenic, and Toneb delivered a buckler and two tohayfu long daggers to the Sagal who held both blades on his right side.
"Basic spar," Jet'a announced, "Do not leave the circle. Two of three five chime bouts. Mortal blows are a victory. We gauge by the pigment if there is no obvious victor."
The Sagal clapped a dagger against the buckler. It was the only show of spirit amidst the austere order of the yard.
"Questions?"

OOCYou are free to write this fight between Corneliun and the Sagal Jackal! Assume the Sagal is around the middle of the competent level. Show me what you got ;)
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on February 3rd, 2013, 8:15 am

How did it begin? Of course, simply putting your foot down and showing your intentions. By standing up to those above you and being prepared to throw down everything to get where he wanted, even if it meant having his name slated and his being ridiculed. And so when Corneliun found himself within the ring of sand, a blunted long sword in his hand, a scorned weapon did he realise the next challenge he had put himself into. A fight no less with a Sagal Jackel. He tested the weight of the sword in his hands, testing it with both, and then one, feeling the weight as his opponent readied himself.
“No questions,” Corneliun responded as he brought up a stance. He placed both of his feet firmly apart and square with his shoulders. It was perhaps at this point that he did not come across as some simple sword swinger, and had at least some competence. His knees bent slightly, his mind clearing as he focused himself. This was no training this was a fight. He felt his fingers wrap around the hilt, the grip being pulled up to his outside so the cross-guard hovered before him. Corneliun Frik stilled himself.
“Begin!”

It was a flurry of movement came as the daggers came racing forth, pure speed giving the mixed blood barely anytime to defend. The sound of metal against metal sounded out as the mixed blood felt him take a step back, and whilst he was preoccupied with one dagger, the other came forward a dull thud against his arm. But still he reacted bringing the sword in close so served more as a shield. It was more that obvious he was being played with, made to look a fool to the watching, silent audience. He had to think, he had to attack, even as the bludgeoning blows came racing down upon him, he had to make himself better. To allow himself to be overwhelmed would give him no chance in surviving.

Corneliun threw his weight against the blade, putting all his strength into it. He shoved the Jackal back, a moment of breathing space before he brought the hilt up. He stepped into the swing, the sword being raised above the tip pointing to the sky. It came hurtling down, cutting through the air, and a clean slice towards the torso of the Jackal. Metal rick shaded off metal, ringing through the air. The combatants were locked once more, but this time Corneliun was the one to press upon the Jackal, even if it was only through methods of brute force. He recoiled his blade back, quick feet giving him the time to bring the blunted steel back. The guard was brought up, and a step forward was taken as the point thrusted forward. He followed it through, the Jackal bringing his daggers and shield up to block, an attempt to catch the long sword. And as the blades once more made contact, Corneliun did not struggle against them. Instead he simply raised his arms higher, curling and weaving the blade forward, before thrusting the new angled tip down into his shoulder.

There was a grunt of pain, a momentary weakness in the Jackal’s defence, and one that the mixed blood did not hesitate to exploit, even with the wild slash made by the Jackal. He could not loose, not yet. The blade recoiled back, before it struck against the gut of the Jackal. He watched the Jackal let out a gasp a brief double over before he found the blade tip hovering between his eyes. Corneliun’s chest heaved slightly as he stared down at the Jackal, his eyes meeting his as he gently pressed the tip of the blade against his forehead.

For a moment there was silence, until the spat words of Jet’a “Return and start anew.”
There was no announcement of the winner of this bout, but in due time it would be revealed even if it was much to the onlookers reluctance. The two parted, and went to the opposite edges of the ring, the dull ache of bludgeoned blows existing against their flesh. Corneliun clicked his neck, rolling back his shoulders as he eyed his opponent. Now the first round had passed his opponent would no doubt be raising the stakes now both had received a taste for each other’s abilities. Meaning Corneliun now had to try and match.

Steel rang against steel. For no sooner had the second round been called had the two charged each other. But the air was on fire this time; the Jackal had his play time and now used his full force and skill against the mixed blood. As the pair clashed it became clearer that Corneliun was the weaker one of the two, if not because of the multiple limbs but also for the vast difference in skill. If the blades were live, it would be a deadly battle. A blow came from the buckler that clipped him around the head, sending the mixed blood back into a daze. His guard for a moment was broken, his head swimming as a second blow following shortly behind. Metal hit metal again as Corneliun parried the blade away, a stagger to the side as he did. His head swum, his focus torn between his opponent and the dull ache that rung out against his skull. It was a distraction to say the least. Corneliun was pushed back to the edge, the daggers pushing him in that direction, the determination in the face of the Jackal having now turned into something a lot more frightening. He teetered briefly at the edge, before he threw himself back into the blades. He could not loose, not yet. He swung the sword, letting it slice through the air, metal hitting metal once more. He pushed back, pouring in his energy into making space between them. It was clear that the difference in length was vital, for the moment the Jackal came in close Corneliun was at his mercy, but as soon as there was distance, Corneliun received the upper hand, until the Jackal blocked at least.

It was so easy to play with those who were far less skilled than others, to lead them on into a false sense of security. And that is exactly what the Jackal did to Corneliun. He controlled this bout every step of the way, leading the mixed blood on, steel clashing against steel. And when the Jackal became finally bored of toying with the mixed blood, he simply pushed back, using full force and speed to guide the daggers forward. For despite the entire prowess he held, it was still easy to deal with him. A slice of a blade with the buckler crashing against his side sent Corneliun toppling out of the ring and flat onto his back. For a moment he laid there, time having frozen as he tried to comprehend what was going on. His chest heaved, taking in the air before he propped himself up on his elbows. His chest for a moment stung with the feel of a dull blow upon it, the tell tale marks on where he would have been stabbed. It was obvious that he had been defeated, if not for falling out of the ring but for the blow upon his chest.
“Return,” he announced with a sigh.
With a low grunt Corneliun pushed himself up once more. A bitter taste rested in his mouth, a few bruises and grazes running up his arm. Over all he felt rather sore, but the most distinctive amount of pain was the one that was ringing from his head. He raised his fingers to where it hit, feeling the swelling grow, and the seeping of blood from a shallow graze. Had it been a live blade it would have no doubt left a slice in the side of his head, and had the original attack been a swing instead of a stab it would have been a death blow regardless. He gripped the sword hilt tightly with both hands, his stance neutral, but prepared to either block or attack. The Jackal took his position, clapping the dagger against the shield, a taunt designed to lead him on.

And a taunt that Corneliun found hard to resist. Enough was enough, and this was the final bout. It was quiet simply now all or nothing with no more room for hesitation. The mixed blood charged, swinging the sword through the air, only to have it thrown off by a simple swift rise of the buckler. A dagger came up the inside of his blade, snaking its way forward. The other meanwhile had caught Corneliun’s blade, and begun slowly pushing it away leaving his torso ready for an onslaught of stabs and strikes. The sword was twisted in his grip, the sound of metal being dragged out before a loud clang of metal filled his ears. The blade spun out of Corneliun’s hand, leaving him defenceless. For a moment the mixed blood froze, unarmed and unable to fight. But the round was not over yet. He leapt to the side, raising his arms up to protect himself. Cowardly perhaps, but as his mind raced he tried trying to think of a way.
Your left arm is a guard. He grasped onto a memory from several days before, a vital one It will take most of the damage, A dagger came racing towards him, a blunted blow against his left as he blocked. He pulled his right arm back, allowing him to shoot freely with it, Here you can be both defensive and offensive without using too much energy.

He took another flurry of blows, ducking and diving around them, a deadly dance between an unarmed man and a weapon. His feet moved quickly, changing his position quickly around the Jackal. He needed an opening. He heard a grunt of annoyance escape the Jackal, a sign that he was no longer interested in simply playing. A sign that the battle was about to turn for the worse. He lunged at Corneliun, the dagger aimed straight for his torso. As the blow came racing through, Corneliun grabbed at the wrist of the Jackal, using the momentum of the swing to an advantage. He remembered his training well. He side stepped, pulling the rest of the Jackal down, whilst placing a firm hand behind his back. There was no time to waste. With a final push he released the Jackal and sent him tumbling to the floor. Corneliun sprung away, claiming back his sword with speed before charging. A stunned opponent was an easy one to deal with. Without a second thought the blade came racing down onto the Jackal. His opponent barely had any time to block, with the blades buckling under the downward force of the long sword. It struck against his chest, the low thud filling the air as sword met flesh. And there Corneliun hovered the blade tip above his throat, a foot planted on the chest of the Jackal, his stance firm and unwavering, and his features grim as he held his stance. He gently tapped the tip against the blade against his throat before withdrawing it and releasing the Jackal.

oocWrite a fight? Okay!
Sorry for taking so long! The muse went for a long walk.

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet

Postby Colombina on March 15th, 2013, 9:49 pm

If Corneliun sought the approving cheer of the crowd, he was disappointed. The shamed Sagal was absorbed into the scrutinizing line of his fellow Jackals without jeering or approbation. They merely watched, patient as the dog from which they drew their names.
Jet'a nodded once and Toneb left for the armory. They waited in blistering silence as the stubborn, relentless sun moved their shadows. Toneb returned with a true bastard sword. It was an iron blade with a bronze jackal head for a pommel.
With little ceremony, Jet'a took the blade and stabbed it into the ground so it stood upright in front of Corneliun.
"If you wish to be among us, kneel and pledge." Jet'a recited the oath of entry, waiting for Corneliun to repeat it. "I swear by the sword, through which I now live and die, my allegiance to Pressorah Bashti and the order of the Fair Lady of Ahnatep. May the gods I hold dear aid me. Glory and wisdom upon my Pressorah."
When the last line was spoken, the crowd of Foxes and Jackals echoed, "Glory and wisdom!" with reverence. A gesture of obeisance was shared by all. They bowed their head and crossed their hands so one palm pressed on the top of the other hand. The moth like shape was raised towards the downcast eyes. It represented abject vulnerability, the most base of all Eypharian feelings. Eyes were unable to watch and hands were powerless to grasp a weapon, so it was the highest of all honors, rendered only to the Pressorah or from a slave to master.
Eager to abandon the pose, the crowd clapped their arms down the first instant it was appropriate.
"The sword and position are yours if you accept their cost," Jet'a pronounced, "You will be a Fox rank until you prove yourself otherwise. You training will cover the history of the city, its laws, protocol, and then how to destroy a man by force."

OOC: Great fight! Combat can be tough to write :) You have freedom to self mod your training using the resources of the Courtyard. You can choose to live in and take less salary, or keep your own place, but be occasionally assigned to staying in the courtyard when "on call" in the evening.
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on March 15th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Corneliun breathed heavy as the Jackal pulled back into line, his shoulders slumping as he dealt with the adrenal that consumed him. His eyes looked to the crowd of Jackals, matching that ever watching eyes. A bastard sword was brought forth, a sharp bladed one having now been presented before him. He watched the blade be plunged into the ground, the iron blade and the bronze head catching the light. His eyes met that of Jet’a, before he obeyed the words of the Jackal.

He took to one knee, his head bent, the words rolling off his tongue. It was his destiny now, his fate to serve the people and the Pressorah.
“I swear by the sword, through which I now live and die, my allegiance to Pressorah Bashti and the order of the Fair Lady of Ahnatep. May the gods I hold dear aid me. Glory and wisdom upon my Pressorah," he managed to say before turning his glance up to the Jackal. He heard the cheer of the Jackals in the back ground, a sign of honour upon their hands.
“I accept their cost,” Corneliun breathed as he placed hand upon the hilt of the bastard sword “And I will live by their cost, no matter where it will lead me.”
With that the mixed blood made himself stand, his hand now grasped tightly around the hilt of the sword and drew it free from the ground. Purpose had been found, and he would follow it to the end, no matter the cost.

oocBecause I don’t know where else to put it, is it possible to live in with less salary please? And woo! :D

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet