Open Didn't see you there.

I was reading a book.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Didn't see you there.

Postby Tia'aria on January 14th, 2013, 6:23 am

Timestamp: Winter 52 512 AV

"Hello." Sweetly, Tia'aria greeted the Akakak at the counter as she entered the Valkalah Library, the opening of the door bringing in a gust of cold and a flash of light from the outside world that set the mites of dust in the air afire. Her Tukant was practiced but imperfect, however it sung with the airiness of her soft voice. "I'm sorry. I've not been here before, and I'd love if I could have some assistance. I'm new to the world of libraries."

"It's fairly straightforward. I can't give you a hand, however, if you don't let me know what it is you're looking for." The Akalak at the desk said, steadily and with a very polite smile. She felt reassured by his kind and helpful nature and the nerves that ached lightly under her skin were soothed by the realisation that he wouldn't say something crude about her lack of familiarity with her setting.

"My mistake," Tia'aria said. "I'm looking for... One moment, I have a list here somewhere." A finger was held up as her other hand delved into the backpack hanging off her shoulder. Pulling out a sheet of crumpled paper scribbled on in a tidy, large script. She lowered her praised hand and cleared her throat as she looked at the writing on the paper. "I'm looking for a book about cooking, herbs found in the area that can assist with cooking, and what animals can be harvested from that would give ingredients, like eggs and milk. Hmm... Also, if there is a book lying around like this, I would like to get something about basic first aid."

The Konti didn't have much faith that there would be any of those books sitting on these shelves, especially not the first aid book, believing that a society that welcomed fighting and honing the body so much would have many people clamouring for such a tome about bandages and salves. Even if there were any, she didn't believe they would be written in a language she understood as well as she did Kontinese. There were many humans and people who spoke Common, but she had to hope that something would be fit for a Konti.

For a few moments, the Akalak considered her requests. She didn't know it, but he was going through what could have been his entire stock. She would have been amazed to learn someone knew what books he had without looking through a catalogue.

Finally, he smiled.

"You're in luck. We may have some of what you're looking for."

He rose up and circled around his desk, waving Tia'aria forward and gesturing for her to follow him. She did, understanding the gestures, and he ked her through the small library, patiently explaining the layout and where she could find certain books about certain topics. The culinary section was particularly tempting as he introduced her to it. Easily, she found a few books in Kontinese and one in Tukant that she could take a look at. Their titles were very straightforward and promising.

He took her to other sections and then brought her to a set of tables and chairs already occupied by a handful of people. By the time they finished, she had five books in her arms and was easily overburdened by the load. She sighed with relief as she found an empty chair and dropped the books down with a loud bang that disrupted the atmosphere.

"Sorry," she whispered.

"Hahaha, its fine. Remember to keep quiet, however, because others use these workstations as well and loud noises disrupt their concentration." He whispered as well. "You can use this area to research your chosen topics. If you ever want to have something copied, you can come find me and I'll work out a price and a day you can expect it. I've got to go back to the front, though, so get settled here and see if you chose right."

He left and she faintly heard the opening of the door again before she sat down. Finally, she was able to take a good long look at her choice of books.

Refined Tastes, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner: The Best of 510, Mint Decadence, Rivarian Plants, and Bruises, Cuts and Sprains: The Treatment and Identification of Minor Injuries were stacked before her. Four of them were heavier than she ever saw in books, but the book about Mint was significantly smaller and might have been easier to read.

Rolling her neck, she set herself for a long day of studying. Bringing out her notebook, a quill and a sealed bottle of ink, she got comfortable and cracked open Rivarian Plants. Her awareness became consumed by the scratching of her quill and the words in front of her.
Last edited by Tia'aria on February 3rd, 2013, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Words: 60906
Joined roleplay: August 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Didn't see you there.

Postby Cephei on January 16th, 2013, 4:54 am

Cephei entered the Valkalah Library, nodding at the Akalak seated at the counter. She made her way to the books, looking for something about medicine or herbalism. She did not know if she would find something about these topics in this library, since the people here were all about strength. But even those who trained and fought, needed a healer, so it would make sense that there would be something about medicine or herbalism on the dusty shelves.

Cephei could not help the sigh of frustration that left her lips as she continued to look through the books. She wasn’t finding what she was looking for; maybe she needed help after all. Cephei turned to head back to the front to ask the man for some assistance when she spied a Konti sitting at one of the tables. Currently Syna light up the sky, in full reign, and Cephei was in her Konti form as well. Cephei smiled happily at seeing a fellow Konti here in Riverfall, it was a little unusual. She left Mura, which was like a second home to her, to be closer to her first home, and it seems that she was being blessed with both worlds now that she found this female Konti. She approached the woman cautiously, trying not to disturb her but wanting to say a hello. The pale sandy blonde female had her nose deep in a book, a book that Cephei herself was looking for. This slightly excited Cephei, to find someone who also liked the comfort of the book, and to gain knowledge. She confirmed that a greeting was a must, and she walked up to the woman and smiled warmly at her.

Hello fellow Konti Sister. It is a pleasure and shock to see another Konti here, reading the same book I was looking for. Cephei chuckled lightly, her voice coming out like warm honey, soft and smooth.
Cephei
Player

Words: 40977
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 8:20 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Didn't see you there.

Postby Dex on January 16th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Dex jerked his head over the edge of the bookcase, looking upside down at the work stations in the library after being waken from a loud noise. He stretched out the rest of his body along the top of the bookcase, while analyzing the girl at the table. She was similar to a lot of the females in the town with the bright hair, which for some reason, were held in high regard by a lot of people in town. Dex didn't understand it, but that is what it was.

When the second girl walked and and started talking to her, Dex took a much bigger notice of them. The girl was sparkly, and had curled horns around her head. He only saw a few of these type of people, and never got a clear answer as to everything that they were. Dex took it upon himself to ask her about it, since he was curious, and the rats were holed up for the winter hibernation, which he was half considering himself. Either way, there were new people around that he should meet.

Dex pulled his head up and got to his tiny padded feet on top of the book case. Deciding to take the easy way out, he scrabbled against the top of the book case and lept off the edge, tucking his tail and back legs up and underneath him. With a flash of light, he appeared in his blue librarian robes. He felt the slight edge of hunger come with it, but there were more important things to be done. Dex moved around the work stations area and sat down in a chair next to the first girl.

"Hi there! Who are you two?"

Dex rarely has intentional thoughts
but Dex always has something to say

Names: John, Lewis
Dex
Lots of shiny things for me

Words: 91565
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Didn't see you there.

Postby Namorin Xalvratos on January 17th, 2013, 3:07 am

Work had been slow this season, and no orders had come today for any jeweler so his master had excused Namorin for the rest of the day from his labors after he had finished cleaning the shop. Namorin has spent the morning polishing some gems that had been order by a young Akalak for use in his lakan that he was working on forging, but once they were prepped there wasn’t much to do until he was ready to pick them up. After that had been a couple hours of cleaning but that had gone fairly quickly and know the shop was clean. Well at least until tomorrow.

Walking into the Library the golden eye storm warden nodded to the Akalak behind the counter from long familiarity. So what are we looking for today. Charlain asked, and Namorin realized that he was rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

‘I was thinking of looking up some stuff on winter weather.’ Namorin said neutrally. I think we should look at that book on ancient Akalak art forms.

Namorin sighed as they walked through the stacks, he wasn’t sure he was up to another reading of art forms, but he had been working on jewelry all morning so he decided it was only fair. He passed quickly through the self and grabbed the book that Charlain had been drooling over during the last visit. He looked around the room, and saw that most of the tables were fairly full, the library being a warm location to retire to.

He walked over to the table with the least amount of people. Excellent two Konti women. What more can you ask for. Charlain smirked in his mind. Namorin smiled at the two women ignoring the sniggering in his mind. “Do you mind if I sit here.” He said indicating one of the other chairs. He did actually admire their, but he was particularly shy in the dating department.
Namorin Xalvratos
Whisper on the Wind

Words: 37562
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Didn't see you there.

Postby Tia'aria on January 23rd, 2013, 12:02 pm

For a few ticks, Tia'aria was unaware that she was being spoken to. The words were in Common, a language she had only the barest of familiarity with, and therefore indecipherable. Politely, she closed her book and looked up at the three people that had approached her, raising her eyebrows quizically. She understood Common was, well, common in the city, next to Tukant, but she had chosen to learn Kontinese instead of Common while she was growing up, being that she was Konti and her mother encouraged her to keep her ties to her people.

"Do you speak Tukant?" She asked the three in the language. Of course the Akalak must, she assumed. It was logical. "Or Kontinese?" Shifting language, directing it at the other Konti, Aria smiled slightly to show she was apologetic about her lack of understanding. Finally, in Common. "I talk no well this speak. Speak Akalak? Konti?" Just in case.
Last edited by Tia'aria on February 3rd, 2013, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Didn't see you there.

Postby Cephei on January 24th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Cephei was confused as to why the woman was ignoring her, but her attention was taken away from the woman when two men approached them. The first was a tall man, with brown hair that was rather long, but not extremely so. He had strange pointed ears, that Cephei could not help but stare at, only being taking away from the examination when he spoke, “Hi there! Who are you two?” as he sat down by the Konti woman. Cephei stayed standing watching the events with a small smile on her face. Who knew Konti woman would receive so much attention… In a library of all palces.

Cephei gave him a warm smile, and answered his question in a calm soft voice, “I am Cephei, and I do not know who she is yet, I do not think she understands common tongue that well, her brow keeps furrowing when we speak it.” Cephei chuckled lightly, at the little frown on the woman’s face.

She was about to shift her language to Kontinese, but another male approached the two of them. This one was a Akalak, who had that mystical blue hue to his skin that Cephei found peculiar yet amazing. The man was extremely tall, at least two feet taller than her, with black hair and golden colored eyes. The man asked if he could sit down at the table, and Cephei shrugged her shoulders nodding, as he sat down in the chair.

After the two interruptions of the tall handsome males, Cephei brought her attention back to the confusing look of the Konti woman. Her voice came out in a language that Cephei did not understand in the slightest bit, but then she spoke Kontinese, something she was familiar with from living on Mura. Then the woman tried her mouth at the common tongue, which came out all wrong, making Cephei chuckle at the woman.

“I can speak Kontinese. Pretty well. I have basic knowledge of it. It seems that Konti women attract males for some reason. Anyways I was saying, that the book you are studying was the one I too was looking for, is there another? Cephei spoke to the woman in Kontinese, a language she had not used in a very long time. A warm and friendly smile spreading across her face, hoping that her Kontinese did not come out to rough.
Cephei
Player

Words: 40977
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 8:20 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Didn't see you there.

Postby Dex on January 29th, 2013, 2:21 am

Dex glanced over at the man who also joined them, sitting in another seat in the small workstation corner. He was taller then Dex by about half a foot, and somewhat heavier, yet still lean. His skin was a brighter blue then some, and his hair gave away his youthfulness. Dex guessed him to be about 20 in human relative years.

Examining the other two shiny headed girls, he compared them and noticed significant differences, while still seeming to be very similar to each other somehow. One had white hair, and the other darker. Their eyes and faces though seemed the most similar. It was odd, so see so much similarities and so much differences.

However, she started making these weird noises. It was like ... well, Dex didn't know quite what it was. Then she started making sense, talking kind of like the akalaks did whenever they thought they were alone. But the weirdest part was when she started talking in broken common language. Dex had met several people who spoke different languages over all, but he had thought that almost everyone knew common well. Oh well.

"I speak some Tukant." He said, echoing lightly in the Tukant language, since she seemed best at that overall. That, and the male was sure to know it. But this was definitely interesting.

Dex rarely has intentional thoughts
but Dex always has something to say

Names: John, Lewis
Dex
Lots of shiny things for me

Words: 91565
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Didn't see you there.

Postby Tia'aria on February 21st, 2013, 10:59 pm

It was a relief that the woman spoke Kontinese. For a moment there, she was afraid that one of her sisters didn't actually know the language, as odd as that would have been, and that she'd be stuck with a language barrier until somebody translated for her. The boys seemed pretty disinterested, so she paid them no heed for now, instead facing the Konti and smiling with welcome. She was very good with Kontinese and could manage a conversation in it naturally.

"There are more books like this one. I got them from that section, right over there." She pointed to where she meant, scales flashing along her finger. She remembered to keep her voice down, but the noise of the talking upset the others trying to read and they grumbled before relocating, seeing that she seemed remarkably settled and might have wanted to invite the woman to sit down with her. "My name is Tia'aria. This book might not be there again, but we can try and share it now, or you can wait until I'm done so I can let you use it." She offered another smile as she politely reminded the woman that introductions were of the proper etiquette in situations like this, unknowing that she had already introduced herself before, but in Common, which was why she missed it. "I have other interesting books you might like to read, but three are in Tukant, the Akalak language, so you might not be able to read them. These ones are Kontinese." One of the cooking books were Kontinese, as was the plant book she was holding, but the rest were Tukant and therefore probably uninteresting to the woman.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Didn't see you there.

Postby Translucent on January 6th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Congratulations On Your Hard Work!

Tia’aria:
XP: +2 socialization, +1 observation
Lores: The need to be quiet in libraries

Cephai:
XP:+2 socialization,
Lores: Konti Women attract males

Namorin Xalvratos:
XP: +1 observation,
Lores: Internal debating.

Dex If you unretired your character and want a grade please let a ST know to grade this for you :

Notes: Cephei your font is really hard to read against the aqua background. I was able to, but it strained my eyes. Just something to keep in mind. The aqua on black was much better. Don’t forget to you’re your grade request

As always PM me if you have issues.

Translucent
To be Translucent is to be Vulnerable.

Words: 187106
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Staff account