Closed [Palsa Hydrasa] The New YOU Station (Orinei)

Dream of the perfect body for the perfect dream come true.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[Palsa Hydrasa] The New YOU Station (Orinei)

Postby Rayage on January 31st, 2013, 4:27 am

60 Winter 512 AV

The nuit had never been to the infamous Palsa Hydrasa before. He had simply never needed to transfer bodies within Sahova before. His own body actually held up nicely, but lately the alchemist had noticed a strange occurrence in the rate at which his body was decaying. It seemed, over the course of a couple seasons no less, that his body had taken to decaying at quite an appalling speed. It was shameful to be found in such a body. An alchemist of his standing in a body this decayed. He had little idea of what actually caused the decay, only that it happened, and seemed to be slowing down. Though he would take no chances with his life, and get a new body for himself.

Yes that was why he was here. That is why most every nuit comes to the facility, and he wandered the building, with wide eyes. It was marvelous. Absolutely grand. There was nothing but awe for the nuit as he took in the structure. It reminded him of something that he thought that he would never see again, and that was an in-tact pre-val building. Sahova itself gave him flashbacks, but this place was on another level. The whole would could be like this… All of Mizahar decorated in Alahean’s glory, knowledge, power. It would be a brighter world, and that is why he worked. He was an alchemist, an agent of change, and soon to be bringer of a new world order as his homunculus would pave the way. He would have a legacy, and be remembered.

Those thoughts brought a decayed and gross looking smile to his face. Although he carried the ring which his master had gifted him, he wasn’t wearing it at the moment for it would make it look like he doesn’t actually need a body when he really does. His work was going to change the world, IF his experiment proves successful.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Orinei on January 31st, 2013, 7:05 am

During Rayage’s entrance and his prolonged moments of revelry at the beauty of the Palsa Hydrasa, Orinei had quietly entered the room from the center of the three doors opposite the entrance to the facility. Recognizing him, smirking (it had been a while since she’d seen him, after all—and what was he doing in here?), she had kept quiet, watching him wander, trying to keep herself out of sight. He looks awful, she thought, and a pang of pity shot through her. None of us should have to live like that. She was, of course, referring to the very noticeable signs of decay that had taken over the Nuit’s body. Truth be told, she wasn’t even sure it was Rayage—but she was making an educated guess, helped along by process of elimination. She hadn’t come across him (or whoever this Nuit was) yet during this stay in Sahova, and she didn’t know many other Nuits that took bodies that looked like his. Rayage was somewhat predictable in his choices, as she was in hers. It helped that she’d heard murmurs of his name, whispers of the projects he’d been working on…

But in this moment, just looking at him made her cringe. The face, his eyes so sunken, his face surpassing pale and entering the realm of grey. Truly, truly dead. It frightened Orinei to see him like this; it frightened her to be reminded that without proper care, Nuits could truly be the walking dead. When he smiled, she shivered, averting her eyes from the sight of his decaying face.

But when he stopped to simply gaze around, to take in the grandeur of the Alahean mosaics, the calm surface of the water, the welcoming glow of the lamps—she had struck, trying to surprise him. She was about ten feet from him, leaning casually against the wall. She wondered if he’d noticed her quiet entrance; it had been fairly stealthy, after all, and the black velvet she wore was not a dissimilar shade from the dark blue on the walls.

“Impressive, no?” From his wondering, awestruck gaze, Orinei figured Rayage hadn’t been here before, so she took it upon herself to greet him as she had been greeted the first time she saw this glittering, magical place.

It dawned upon her then that it truly had been some time; she wondered vaguely if he would recognize her. She was sure he hadn’t seen her in this body, as she’d acquired it only very shortly before returning to Sahova at the beginning of the season. It had decayed a bit since then—faster than she’d expected it to—but she was still in excellent shape compared to most Nuit, mostly thanks to the fact that she was spending her time learning Embalming technique. She didn’t rush to introduce herself, though: let him figure it out on his own, she thought, unable to stop a smirk from coming to her face.

Her thoughts then turned to what he could possibly be doing down here—but her observations answered her own question. The poor thing was in terrible shape. He obviously needed work—probably a whole new body, if he wasn’t too attached to this one. She could tell that much, after spending the last 60 days down here watching decayed Nuit after decayed Nuit get patched up, or jump bodies. Hell, she knew that, being Nuit herself. Without waiting for him to reply to her first quip, she laughed quietly before remarking, “You look like you’re falling to pieces.”
OOC :
Let me know if you want me to change anything--if you didn't like her recognizing him right away or anything? I figured they hadn't seen each other in the last couple years-ish, so they'd be in different bodies...but she has heard about him being in Sahova IC (from Wrenmae).
Orinei
Player

Words: 66752
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2012, 10:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rayage on February 1st, 2013, 5:47 pm

If: it is the great uncertainty verbalized into a single, powerful word. It manifested doubt, and was filled with concern. The nuit had no time for such idiocy. Of course he was going to succeed and of course he would need a new body just for the occasion. That is why he is here after all, a stab at fate, an early celebration of sorts, the like that only a nuit can do. He had not been working for over five hundred years to fail at the most vital of moments. His research had enough failure for many, many lifetimes. This time he would get it right. There was no room for chance, only absolutes, because the die has already been cast. This gamble which the alchemist had taken on was the riskiest he has ever done. There was so much at stake, including his life.

The thought put a sort of gloom to the atmosphere. It had only bee twenty mere days since the trails have started, should he be feeling this way now? Should he be feeling this stressed about the achievement of his life’s work? He thought that this time would be more… happy? He tried to guess, but couldn’t think of exactly what he was expecting. Surely though it wasn’t this, whatever this strange feeling is. It was so foreign to feel this way, usually he was so confident in his work, but this time the pressure of the project was getting to him. The nuit was off of his game.

A single, simple sentence broke the nuit from his own despair ridden thoughts and unhappy circumstances. It was a question, and being brought back to reality from that it took him a while to piece together exactly what was asked. In fact, the expression he carried was nothing more of shocked. He hadn’t sensed anyone coming, perhaps he was too self-absorbed, maybe feeling a little too safe in Sahovas halls?

Nodding a simple response he looked at her, trying to place her. He simply couldn’t remember if he had met this one or not. There were lots of nuit within this island, and each one unique in its own way, but this one had a familiarity which was well placed. The style of makeup, or maybe it was just the overall look, not the body of course, but the style in which the body was presented was familiar. It nagged at his memory, but lately he hadn’t had the time or the need to put names to faces, faces which could change at a moment’s notice. ”Yes,” he answered her, ”It’s absolutely beautiful.” he said, his voice filled with a reminiscence of a time which all too long ago passed in a blink of an eye, in a single event.

”Perhaps I am.” he told her, ”I mean, just look at me. This is the reason I came here.” he told her, ”This body won’t hold up to much more abuse or alchemical experiments, and I’d rather not work myself to death. That would be quite counterproductive.” He said, advancing a few steps towards the other nuit, ”Are you one of the apprentices here?” he asked, still not quite recognizing her. Perhaps if he used Auristics he would, but the thought never occurred to him, ”What would you suggest?” he asked the lady her opinion on his current situation.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Orinei on February 2nd, 2013, 8:36 pm

Orinei didn't move as Rayage advanced toward her. She merely assumed her typical expression: the quizzical raised eyebrows, and very slightly pursed lips that bordered on smirking. It was an expression that had consistently followed her from body to body throughout the decades. She nodded mutely at his statements, already lost in thought. Alchemical experiments. Her suspicions of his identity were slightly more confirmed, but she kept quiet; she was sure they'd formally meet in these new bodies, all in good time.

It was true, there would be certain familiarities about her for Rayage, just as there were familiarities about Rayage for her. She'd worn her makeup the same way for nigh on a century; black smoky kohl ringing her eyes, faint pats of rouge to mask the pallor of her cheeks, the same rouge on her lips to remove some of their blue cast. She wore the same black velvet she'd favored for many years; the same simple, but elegant single braid endured no matter the current color of her hair.

With another slight nod, she spoke again. "I am indeed an apprentice here." She smiled slightly before continuing. "And I suppose it's been rather rude of me not to formally welcome you to the Palsa Hydrasa, especially as it seems you haven't visited before." She was still taking cues from his awestruck entrance, and her tone seemed to imply that even though he had centuries on her (if he was who she thought he was, at least) and certainly much more magical experience, she was the one in the position of power in this hallowed hall. Embalming was a funny thing, after all; there was a distinct line between the Nuits of Sahova who simply left their bodies to rot, burning through them indiscriminately, and the fastidious Nuits like Orinei who meticulously cared for their bodies with a love and appreciation that probably had its roots in some deep-rooted envy of the living. Nuits like Orinei had a tendency to be a bit...pretentious about this fact.

"As for your woes," she said, beginning a slow circle around Rayage, evaluating the state of his decay, "I think I can help you. I'd rather you not work yourself to death either. Be a bit of a waste after all this time, no?" She smiled, and this time, it was genuine. She did sincerely appreciate people seeking the services of the Palsa Hydrasa; she firmly believed that not enough of the Nuits took advantage of the wonders it had to offer. "My best suggestion to you is just to switch bodies entirely. We've got many to choose from; I can take you downstairs and we can find you something a bit more..." she paused. "I don't know. Functional? Pretty? Either way, I'm sure we can find you something suitable." She paused again, cocking her head to the side, still appraising. "I guess if you're really attached to this one, you could try to get Amaryllis to patch you up a bit. But it'd only buy you very limited time."

She allowed a few moments of silence to pass before she spoke again, before he had a chance to reply. Enough of this farce. "I can't help but think I've met you before," she said, her tone coy, playful. "Maybe in another life."
Orinei
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rayage on March 6th, 2013, 1:31 pm

There was definitely something familiar to him about the nuit which, and then voiced her suspicions too."In another life? Dear girl," he said waving a dismissing hand at the thought. It seemed that he had a habit of calling anyone of presumably lesser status 'girl' or 'boy'. Perhaps he liked being thought of as an elder? Veiled meaning aside he continued on, "I haven't had another life in seven hundred and fifty years, but the same might not be true about you." he pondered, "I am Master Rayage." he introduced himself with such self importance that it would be hard for the other nuit to think him anyone else but the Rayage she'd met long ago. He still held the same distinguishable ego that seemed to echo from his entire being. If anything he was sure of himself, and sure of what he could do. If anything he certainly did earn the title 'Master'.

All this time he had been brooding his options, was he really that attached to this body? It was falling apart, and soon it wouldnt be worth anything but for the bones it possessed. He thought of Vick. Maybe he would send this body there... He didnt think that Sahova would have any use of a body which had been switched out of. It would soon not be fit for any apprentice, but he wondered what Sahova could do to fix that. Weighing his options he quickly made up his mind, "Perhaps a new body would be best?" he asked, as if unsure of himself. "You, girl, are the expert on such subjects. Perhaps something more suiting of my new role to take?" he asked mainly musing to himself, aloud.

Shaking his head, "Yes, that would be fine." he said letting his thoughts trail off in his head, none more verbalized for a chime or two. His look seemed lost, distant, but distorted as if arguing with himself. Then he came back, "Well," he said expectedly looking at Orinei, "we havent all day, do we, Orinei?" he asked, the name slipping out of his mind, and before he could stop it the word surfaced. After speaking the name he looked disgruntled, but enlightened. That was who this nuit reminded him of. Could it be?

OOCIf I took things too far feel free to PM me and I can correct this post. Oh and short post is short :P

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Orinei on March 9th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Once he started speaking more freely, his tone was the thing that gave Rayage away more than anything. Much can be said about a person from their manner of speech; with Rayage, the air of superiority was thick as morning fog. She smirked slightly to herself as he directly introduced himself; her suspicions had been correct. The wizard pulsers and Nuits alike whispered about in the corridors of Sahova had decided to pay her a visit. Judging by their short interaction so far, he hadn’t changed a bit since they’d last spoken.

As they made small talk, she vaguely wondered what he’d been up to these past decades. Had he been in Sahova the whole time? She knew she had been wary to return—she’d kept her distance for a good long time before finally coming back, deciding to do something productive with her immortality.

“A new body, yes,” she said, nodding slowly. “That’d be the most efficient thing to do, after all.” She noted, but did not respond to his comment about his new “role.” At the beginning of her time on Sahova, Orinei would immediately have demanded to know exactly what it was Rayage was planning on doing that was so “new.” However, though she was over a century old, she had done a bit of growing up under Amaryllis’ careful tutelage. Let them tell you things of their own accord, first. Make them comfortable. Ask the hard questions later.

She nearly giggled when her name slipped out of his mouth, a rare grin breaking over her face to reveal small teeth, like so many seed pearls. She tilted her head slightly, appraising him once more. So he remembers, after all. “Quite the contrary, Master Rayage,” she said, amused, her tone becoming playful once more. “I’d say you and I, and those like us, have all the time in the world. How sweet of you to remember my name, though, even after all this time.”

Becoming brusque and business-like quite suddenly, she spoke again. “So. A new body it is, then. If you’ll follow me, I’ll show you exactly what we’ve got in stock.” She began walking across the room towards the doorways at the other side of the pool, assuming that he would follow. She opened the leftmost of the doors, which would open onto a staircase—they were going beneath the Palsa Hydrasa to the Rubellum Chamber, where the bodies were kept.

They would find themselves at the bottom of the stairs in a chamber not quite as ornately decorated as the majestic room above, but still beautiful in its own quiet sort of way. The walls were lined with drawers long enough to keep bodies in—and indeed, each drawer would hold a different embalmed body, ready for a Nuit to assume its form. On the outside of each drawer was a placard, upon which was written the vital statistics of the body inside: gender, race, approximate height and weight, hair and eye color, and distinguishing marks. “Well, here we are,” she said, turning to him. “Now…what kind of body are you looking for?” She had certainly not memorized all of the bodies in current stock; however, after tediously cataloging them all in Amaryllis’ ledger, she had a definite degree of familiarity with all of them. She would be able to efficiently point him towards a body fitting of whatever qualities he so desired.

OOC :
Let me know if I moved things along too quickly or if you want me to edit anything!
Orinei
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets