Completed [Location-Scholar's Sanctum] Reading in the Dust.

Singh is alone for the day and of course mischief runs in the dust and sand.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

[Location-Scholar's Sanctum] Reading in the Dust.

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 6th, 2013, 4:10 am

Singh's face slowly slid into a glare when Syliss turned away and she caught a glimpse of a Jackal as Syliss fingers let go of the book. "Were you planning on leaving that book for someone to pick up and put away for you, Awtol Shyke?"

Then when Syliss had tried to make up for her attention to the book she Jackal had then treated her harshly. Singh slowly boiled, 'What is up with people today? Did some people just feel like making everyone's lif... Never mind.'

Singh quickly was replaced with a steel look when Syliss's eyes landed on her, questions and panic flooding her face. Singh sighed, 'Time to roll the dice.'

"Glenna! I told you it was a bad idea to pick it up. And now the Jackals catch us at our misfortune."Singh winked at Syliss with her eyes away from the Jackal and turned to the man with shy heated eyes. She hated the looks she usually received from men with just walking around but when she turned her charm on... Singh mentally shivered.

"Do you think we could possibly leave it there or maybe even have you take it in. You see Glenna, my slave, and I were coming here to bet with the other woman about the last flower that hangs on that bush,Singh gestured to the woman who were still arguing over the flower and glanced at the three every now and then,"When we spotted the book. I don't want to be responsible for something me nor my Servant are really at fault for. I asked her to take a look at it and simply shied it away from the title. Useless I say."

Singh mentally was cursing every Jackal she had ever met and wishing them to the harshest of the desert,"Do you think you could let us slip this one time?"Singh batted her eyes and about puked there on the spot but she needed to keep her wits and look in-order to pull this off.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Words: 50349
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 1:04 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 6th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Bethsyliss could hardly believe her luck. This Singh lady was incredibly resourceful. Bethsyliss nodded quickly at the Jackal as Singh deployed her artfully composed excuse. She winced visibly when Singh mentioned the word "slave", not expecting to have to play the role she despised the most. But she clenched her vivid feelings as was required to get past the situation.

The Jackal was no longer concerned by Syliss. It was as though he hardly even regarded her presence anymore, and her shift between satisfaction, surprise, anger and composure went unnoticed. He was staring at the Eypharian woman full in the eyes, looking hypnotized as she played her act.

"Do you think you could let us slip this one time?" Singh said in a voice not unlike that which she had heard used by her mother countless times before in presence of certain men. To enhance her effect, Singh batted her eyes suggestively. Syliss saw her falter as she slightly gagged, but she quickly regained her composure. The Jackal was so enchanted by this woman's gaze that Syliss had trouble concealing a chuckle.

She sensed it was her turn to speak. "Yesss, my Lord Jackal, you sssee, my Lady -- err -- Hemet and I noticed this book lying on the bench, ssso she sent me to have a peek, but I deemed it not worthy of my Master, so I merely placed it back where I found it. We didn't sssteal it, you know." She wasn't impressed with her own acting and feared it would fall apart. She hated the part she was supposed to play, and that noticeably impaired her self-control.

But the Jackal was so completely entranced in Singh's gaze that he failed to detect Syliss's ineptitude at lying. Without even turning his head, he said, with the droning voice of a man who was under a charm, not unlike that which she had heard adorned by her mother's lovers after she had seduced them: "That's alright. Kefasha, go and return this book to Kharne while your master and I have a little private chat in the courtyard." He grinned, and added imperiously: "Chop chop." Syliss scowled, not believing the lie had passed undetected but had backfired on both of them. She wasn't certain it was allowed in Ahnatep to order other people's slaves around, but this was a Jackal and she didn't dare to take the risk. Clearly Singh hadn't thought this through to the end. "So, Sabine," she heard the Jackal say to the person who pretended to own her. "Lady Hemet, was it? Tell me, Lady Hemet. Might you be Tira, by any chance?" At least they hadn't used their real names. Syliss tensed herself in anticipation while she ascended the steps to the inside of the Scholar's Sanctum holding Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel.

"Massster Kharne," she said quietly, moving to the desk at the entrance where the Head Librarian who had thrown her out sat, writing on a piece of parchment with a look of self-importance on his face. Her mind raced as she thought of a way to pull this off, trying her best to look servile as would a slave... Even the thought of it made her shudder. Outside, she heard Singh and the Jackal whispering softly to each other, but she could not make out what they were saying. She sighed yet again. This is ssstarting to get slightly out of hand, she thought.
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 10th, 2013, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Words: 142748
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 6th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Singh was ready for anything but she was not ready for the trance like state the Jackal seemed to under-go. She simply spoke lower, more heated, and had batted her eyes. 'Are men so easily seduced now? And a Jackal at that. Shame, shame, shame.'

When Syliss spoke Singh wanted to tell her it was a not in character but she could feel the small amount of anger Syliss hid and Singh couldn't blame her. Singh had pushed the Dhai to the role of the Slave without even asking, but this was a time for action. Feeling could wait.

"That's alright. Kefasha, go and return this book to Kharne while your master and I have a little private chat in the courtyard." He grinned, and added imperiously: "Chop chop." Singh went to stop Syliss but she was already heading into the building. "Lady Hemet, was it? Tell me, Lady Hemet. Might you be Tira, by any chance?" The Jackal continued.

Singh wanted to rip his eye's out, but she kept her face the same... though the heat in her eye's changed only a little on the angry heated side.
"My Shajeb is not yours to command Hejdi."Singh was highly unamussed to be talking to this man. He was an idiot, easy, and simply rude.

"And to answer your question I am a Tira, as I can bear no children."It wasn't entirely a lie, as she couldn't bear children in fear of loosing them and her Ibwrt again. "But we must be going. My father awaits me with new on my sick mother."Singh paused and bowed a little to the Jackal all the while sneering at him in her mind.

When she raised up she called out,
"Glenna, we must be off. Dunre is waiting for us." Singh hoped Syliss would hurry as she didn't with to be in the presence of this Jackal nor the eye's of the woman who now eyed her with contempt. It wasn't exactly something to say out loud that you could not bare the proud race of Eypharians. Especially when Singh looked as she did. In a way it was a disgrace.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 6th, 2013, 9:41 pm

"Who addresses me by my first name?" the Head Librarian Kharne said as Bethsyliss, standing in front of his desk, imagined all sorts of disastrous outcomes to the fishy situation she found herself in. He frowned slightly but did not look up, absorbed in whatever he was doing.

"I -- sssir --" she stammered nervously. "My apologiesss, sir. I jussst came by to return this book. I -- I found it on a bench in the courtyard. I figured I ssshould bring it here."

"How thoughtful of you," he replied in a flat, unemotional tone. He obviously was deeply engrossed in his writing activity, and she worked out that she'd be out of here safe and sound in no time. She laid Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel on the desk and immediately spun round to get out of the Head Librarian's sight as quickly as possible.

She had not taken one step when he demanded, still with his head down. "Name."

"Uhh -- Kelvicsss, The Journey Forged in Sssteel, sir."

"Your name, blockhead," he repeated irritably, dipping his quill in some ink.

"Oh -- no, you sssee, I wasn't reading this book, it was jussst lying on the bench outside. I don't know who's name it's registered under." She hesitated. "I'd better get going now, sir. Enjoy your day."

"Not so fast," he said sharply. "Let me check the registry." He took out a rather big document from under his desk. "I've got the books and names of the people currently reading them sorted out in alphabetical order in two different lists," he declared proudly, opening it and sifting through the pages. "I am a highly organized man, and I take my work very seriously." After an excruciating moment, he found it. "K, K, K... Ah, here we are. Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel. Currently being read by..." He stopped speaking, and his self-important smirk turned into a grimace of suspicion. He lifted his head. His eyes narrowed and he frowned. She was sure he thought she stole the book now. He rose abruptly from his chair and faced Bethsyliss full in the eye. "Your name, Awtol Shyke," he muttered threateningly.

Then a voice called from outside. "Glenna, we must be off. Dunre is waiting for us." It was Singh's voice. It came as a great relief.

"My... master callsss for me, sssir," she said, spitting out the damned words. "I mussst leave now."

Kharne's eyes bulged then. He yelled, outraged: "A Kefasha? A Kefasha in the Scholar's Sanctum? I will not permit unaccompanied slaves in my respectable establishment!" All the eyes in the library turned to Syliss and the angry Head Librarian. Some had looks of consternation on their faces, while others lit up at the sudden display of unresolved conflict. Such things never happened in the quiet library.

Syliss was quick to react. In a burst of incredible momentum, she bolted out of the library. Unfamiliar with the surroundings, she tripped down the steps leading to the courtyard. The Jackal who was shamelessly flirting with Singh jerked his head toward Syliss, puzzled. Kharne was practically on top of her when she picked herself up and sprinted towards the gate. She grabbed Singh's arm as she past by her, urging her away. "Run," she panted.

"Scoundrels!" Kharne yelled to the confused Jackal. "Seize them!" Running as fast as her legs would take her, Syliss couldn't help but chuckle, for the Eypharian dimwits wanted to frame her for the wrong crime. Gleefully laughing, adrenalin coursing through her veins, she ran, leading the lagging Singh by the hand. They turned a corner before Syliss pulled Singh into a dark passageway. The Jackal who was on their heels would surely run straight on past them and soon after lose track of them.
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 12th, 2013, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 6th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Singh went to smile as she caught site of Syliss but it slowly turned into a quick panic as Syliss grabbed her arm and dragged her away,"Run." was all she heard before she was being rushed.

Singh sputtered with out-rage before catching on that she was going to trip. Picking up pace Singh followed Syliss, angry cries heard in the distance behind them. Many people gave angry glares as the two woman rushed past them.

As they turned the corner Singh was pulled into an alley way. Wheezing for breathe Singh watched as the Jackal rushed past them.
Singh turned to Syliss,"Are you mad! What the heck happened!" Singh cried in an angry hushed whisper, What could have possibly gone wrong. It would have been easy if you just..."

Singh stopped talking as a panic took over. Behind her she heard the yelling of her glig,"What do you mean Criminal! I haven't been to the Library the whole morning! Let go of me!"

Singh's blood ran cold. Her face felt cold and pale and her breathe slowly became quick. "If you do not unhand me I will see to it you will be tried for this!" Singh choked on panicked laughter as the voice got closer.

"Stop being a tease! I've had enough of your lies! Unmarried because you cannot bare children is a lie! Your lucky I don't...."
Singh heard a loud smack and the Jackals voice stopped. Singh heard her sister breathe out behind her and Singh froze, "If you ever dare speak of my sister like that I swear on all the four winds, law or not. You will not live to see the next sun. Show some respect for those in mourning."

Esha must have felt the presence of Singh as she turned and glanced behind. What she must have seen must have looked bad as she glared at Syliss but her glare wavered when she saw that Singh moved in front of Syliss.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 7th, 2013, 1:10 am

Bethsyliss listened intently, holding her breath, at the argument that was taking place between the Jackal and a person she was unfamiliar with. "Show some respect for those in mourning," finally said the voice that had identified as Singh's sister's after a loud smack had interrupted the Jackal while he was speaking. Syliss looked at Singh without her paying attention and cocked her head to one side. In mourning? she thought, tears welling up in her eyes uncontrollably. Poor, poor Sssingh. From what I gather, she must have lossst one dear to her heart -- probably not a relative, given the eassse with which her sissster mentioned it. Clearly they're very close to each other, or her sissster wouldn't have defended her caussse with such blind fervor before a representative of the law. My, my... Either way, it must be a terrible tragedy for Sssingh. She's lucky they're sssomeone to sssupport her. Maybe I ssshould offer my support as well -- without intruding.

As Bethsyliss was about to place her hand on Singh's shoulder to demonstrate her compassion, she jumped with a start when an exact replica of Singh appeared at the end of the dark alley she and the Eypharian woman were hiding in. The striking resemblance between the two sisters explained why the Jackal confused one with the other. Singh's sister's blazing glare was almost as powerful as Singh's own had been in the library earlier that morning, and she winced visibly in the face of such fury. The look she gave her spoke louder than words that she demanded an explanation for the situation immediately.

"My Lady," Syliss said, curtsying slightly. She had understood these women were of the upper class, and, though she usually was not prone to such formality, she felt the deep desire to make a good impression on Singh's sister. Her greet was met with flinty eyes and an expectant gaze. "Your sssister, the Lady Singh, offered me her help to essscape a sssticky sssituation, but we got unlucky and the Head Librarian Kharne, though not ssseeing through our ploy, deemed us a pair of outlawsss for introducing ourselves as massster and ssslave." She spat the word with unconcealed scorn. "You see, Kefasha -- I can only sssuppose that's the local name for slavesss -- are not allowed in such establishments as the Ssscholar'sss Sssanctum, unless their master standsss by them; and Lady Singh was some way away." She spread her hands out apologetically. "I escaped the crime of theft only to find myself in another, and in the processs I dragged your sissster into it." She added quickly: "They do not know our namesss. Only the Jackal has ssseen the face of Singh, and never mind Kharne. I do not intend to visit his damned library for a long time, and he has hardly looked at Singh in order to be able to recognize her, ssshould he look upon her beautiful face again."

Syliss was rather pleased with her display of rhetoric skills. In the face of necessity, she had been forced to pull off incredible feats to counter the incredible blunders she had walked into. But the Re Naphu sisters weren't asking for a good speech. They needed a plan to smooth things out with the Jackal. Deciding it was time for her to stop making a fool of herself, Syliss quickly thought out something she was certain would work.

"I have an idea. I'm going to ssset thisss right," she declared adamantly, speaking in the hushed voice of those who talk about conspiracy. "My Lady, if you allow me to talk to you thus -- for the present circumssstances require ssso --, you are to find the Jackal you so righteously ssslapped and apologize to him. You are to turn us in to him and take him to our hiding location. Lady Sssingh will be waiting with a piece of cloth to gag his mouth in order to prevent him from calling for additional guards, which would attract unwanted attention. While ssshe does that, I will bite him." She smiled at the prospect of poisoning this man who has offended Singh. "I'm a Dhani, if you hadn't noticed. I can deliver a potent venom that will ssstop a ssstrong man's heart in a matter of minutesss." She paused. "I have an antidote with me," she lied. "I carry it with me at all times in case sssuch events arissse. We'll only threaten to not give the Jackal the antidote if he decidesss to be uncooperative. We'll sssay we'll let him live as long as he keepsss his mouth ssshut. What do you sssay?"

"I'm Sylisss, by the way," Syliss added, extending her hand toward Singh's sister.
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 12th, 2013, 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 7th, 2013, 2:46 am

The hand on her shoulder helped Singh very little. Though her skin remembered it's color when Esha appeared. Esha moved to Singh and pulled her next to her in the small alley as she glanced behind her.

Singh couldn't blame her sister. Esha had just smacked a Jackal and it had left him stunned enough that Esah was able to escape but for how long was the question. Singh watched as Syliss gave a small curtsy and began to explain the situation. Singh watched her sister's movements as Syliss explained. Esha didn't speak but simply nodded her head at Syliss when it was needed. Singh felt Esha's hand grip her hip hard when Syliss wanted her to apologize to the Jackal she had slapped.

Singh simply bumped a hip to reassure her sister. Singh's face she had kept blank and void of emotion but when Syliss mentioned biting the poor man Singh shook her head.
"Back a rabid dog into a corner and what happens?" Esha soon followed her sisters words, "They fight for their lives. Dirtier and without though. I will not risk Singh's safety nor mine for your plot."

Esha shook Syliss's hand like she had shaken hands more than once, Singh didn't doubt,"I'm Esha Re Naphu. Glig of Singh." Esha removed her hand and stared at Singh in a questioning look. Singh simply shrugged.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 7th, 2013, 3:21 am

Bethsyliss looked at the two beautiful women in bewilderment as they completed each other's sentences in a way that seemed that they were weaving wisdom out of the wind. She was absolutely amazed at the ease with which they interacted. Their physical tactility hinted at the fact that they had little sense of mental boundaries, and Syliss was sure that what one thought, the other was thinking as well. These two beings seemed to complement each other so perfectly. Syliss yearned to know what it was like to share her life with that kind of person. It must be wonderful to spend your days having a second you with the actual you, she thought, a picture of Ronin forming unwillingly in her mind. Glances and gestures would be sufficient to communicate, and you'd accomplish twice as many things twice as effectively with your clone helping you -- and you helping the person for which you were the clone. It's a shame mother didn't give me any siblings. Mother was mother after all, and perhaps it's better that way.

Singh's sister's refusal of Bethsyliss's plan was what brought her back to her senses from her little reverie. She was smashed. She had thought her idea was perfect: untraceable, quick, mostly clean; the perfect crime to cover up another crime. But, thinking back at what she had said, she realized with renewed embarrassment that she had once again made a fool of herself. An unanswered disappearance would raise many questions, and the possibility of retrieving the body of a dead Jackal definitely did not contribute to the plan's merit; and, after all, as the sisters said, the victim, undoubtedly a trained fighter, would give a fierce fight before yielding to the combined force of the three women. In any case, the only person who had declared them outlaws was the petty Head Librarian of the Scholar's Sanctum, and she wasn't about to see him again anytime soon. There probably was no need for murder in this particular case. Syliss sighed. This was not her day.

She shook Singh's sister's hand as she introduced herself as Esha Re Naphu. "Very pleased to meet you, Lady Esssha. I apologize for the dire circumstancesss that ssshape our meeting." There was an uneasy silence before Syliss, holding back her panic, asked the question that the situation inevitably called for, though not without her voice wavering slightly: "Well, Lady Esssha. What do you propose we do?"
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 10th, 2013, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 7th, 2013, 3:59 am

Syliss looked envious and then embarrassed. Singh didn't smirk or let any emotions show now, Esha did all that. Esha's face was full of a cautiousness but open to everything else she was feeling." As do I. You seemed to have created a soft-spot for yourself in Singh so I hope you are as entertaining as you seem." Esha smiled and let go of Singh's hip.

Singh watched her sister as she was addressed. Esha usually was the one for action but Singh didn't think this was one of the times. Exceptantly Esha turned her glance to Singh,
"Well, Lady Singh. What do we do?" Singh thought over what they could do and then examined behind Syliss. There was an opening on the other side, they could head that way and maybe part or they continue on together.

"The end of the alley and we will decide further." Singh spoke and Esha didn't think to ask. Esha simply turned her gaze to Syliss and ushered her the direction of the other exit. Singh didn't know if she wanted to continue on with Syliss or go to the family business. She did need to finish a couple project's that were due soon...

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 7th, 2013, 4:29 am

A sssoft spot in Singh? Syliss thought with sheer incredulity. Me? I can hardly believe it. Well, it must be true since Esssha's the one who's telling me. I would never have thought I could befriend sssuch a high-class lady so soon. I might have a chance in Ahnatep after all -- as long as I can get the little misunderssstanding with the Jackal and Kharne cleared up. I don't need to worry. I trussst Sssingh and Esha's practically a sssecond Singh. One of them has already proved wonderfully resourceful, therefore the other must be ssso likewise. I'm in good handsss. And there are quite a few hands involved.

"Let'sss go, then," Bethsyliss said when Singh hurried her to the opposite end of the alley, bursting with the confidence these two women imbued her with. They quietly scampered along the dark, narrow street until they reached the end. The bright light they were bathed with was like that which blinded travelers when they exited a tunnel in which they had been stuck for days -- a dark, dark tunnel. "At the end of the tunnel, there is alwaysss light," Bethsyliss said, making a rather petty attempt at conjuring up a little piece of wisdom herself, as the sisters had already done several times during the morning. "I think it might be bessst if we part now," Syliss then said with hardly concealed regret. "We'll be lesss conspicuousss if we don't hang around together for the ressst of the day. Guards around the city might be looking for a master and her -- umm -- ssservant if word of our little incident spreadsss." Syliss knew she would probably run into Singh or her sister again around the city sometime, but still felt a slight pang at the thought of parting ways with them.

"Thank you, Lady Sssingh," said she respectfully said to Esha. "Thank you, Lady Esssha," said she respectfully to Singh. "May the sssun guide your steps, and our pathsss intertwine once again." She joined her hands and awkwardly held them up in the shape of a crescent, as she had seen many people do during the few days she had spent in Ahnatep, often accompanying the gesture with a phrase that literally involved something about balance and glory. The meaning of it had never struck her until today, when she witnessed the two sisters in perfect synergy, two being who balanced each other out in a harmony that reached down into Syliss's soul.

All in all, today had been a good day. She had made two acquaintances and wasn't even aware of the fact she couldn't distinguish one from the other. She walked her blissful ignorance home to the Pillars of Dust.

*end*
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext