Completed [Location-Scholar's Sanctum] Reading in the Dust.

Singh is alone for the day and of course mischief runs in the dust and sand.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

[Location-Scholar's Sanctum] Reading in the Dust.

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 1st, 2013, 6:22 pm

Day 80 of Winter, 512 AV

Singh let her fingers run over the spine of the books as she walked past. Looking for the one she had asked for. Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel. It was a particular book she had been wanting to get her hands on. Singh new her father was becoming restless with not seeing his darling twins and knowing him a present would end up on their door anytime now.

Esha had dropped Singh off and headed to go see said father. As Singh's hand slid over a particular book she stopped. Her eye's scrunching in confusion Singh slowly slid the book out. It had to weigh at least five pounds and it had no title. Singh examined the book looking for an indication of what the book was.

It was bound in leather and had yellow-white pages sticking out at odd angles. Singh's eye's stayed furrowed as she moved back to her seat. Weaving through the many chair's Singh sat in her usual spot where the scrolls she had just finished examining lay untouched otherwise. Singh's spot was by one of the many windows over looking the entrance.

Singh propped her feet up and got comfortable. Singh ran her fingers over the spine again before she blew dust from the cover. Still no sign of what the book was Singh opened it. What she was met with was some red ink that stated, "Luck to those who have dared open the book. I guess it's about time someone read this. Here you, the reader, will find the life of me. While I will not reveal my name in the hopes that I still live when you find this, you may be able to find you have no need for it."

Singh's bit her lip as she stopped reading and glanced around. What the heck was a personal journal doing in here? Did the staff know it was even here? Singh sighed and continued to read, "My life starts in the city of Ravok...." Singh frowned and closed the book, though she left her thumb to mark the page, 'Do I really wish to read this book? Do I really want to know about this person's life? Maybe it's cursed...' With that last thought Singh eyed the book wearily.

Singh decided against the book and replaced it beside her on the side table. She crossed her arms and stared at the book. Glancing around Singh sighed, she was being childish. It was just a book. 'Maybe I could read just...'

Last edited by Singh Re Naphu on February 7th, 2013, 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Words: 50349
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 1:04 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 4th, 2013, 4:28 am

Day 80 of Winter, 512 AV.

The situation Bethsyliss was in that morning was slightly distressing. She had never imagined that there were so many books in the world, and, though she had learned to read in common language back when she lived in the nest, she hadn't the faintest clue where to start. There seemed to be so much to learn, but the quantity of books was overwhelming, and she was unable to decide which to pick up first. She considered asking the tall Eypharian woman reading a book by the windows for help, but she didn't want to bother her, and she certainly did not want to make a request to the petulant head librarian who had greeted him at the entrance. I'm new to the city, she reasoned. I'd better not ssstart pessstering people if I want them to welcome me. I won't get anywhere by being pussshy, so I'll try my bessst to ssseem available and hope sssomeone will ssstrike up a conversssation with me.

Bethsyliss had not solved the problem of choosing a read among so great a library, though. And so it was that she chose to pick a book at random from the seemingly endless shelves of the Scholar's Sanctum. She didn't want to get into reading one of the thick books, because she probably wouldn't get anywhere with those, her concentration engrossed in absorbing the intricacies of her new environment. She didn't want to be caught reading one of the small books either, because that would definitely make her come across as frivolous or simple, and that really was not the impression she intended to make on the denizens of Ahnatep. And a scroll, well -- she simply didn't trust herself to not make a fool of herself handling those long rolled-up pieces of parchment. So she chose a medium-sized book bound in black leather without even bothering to check the title, removed it from the shelf and took it to the table where the Eypharian lady was reading hers. She sat across from her and laid the book on the table. The title read: Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel. Ronin was a Kelvic. She might learn something. She stood the book up on the desk and opened it.

Ssshould I greet her or jussst pretend ssshe isn't here? Syliss thought, unsure of the way to handle a social approach. I don't want to ssseem rude and address her while ssshe's reading, but then again ssshe might get offended if I don't sssay hello at leassst. Being new to an area is awfully hard. I guesss I'll just wait and sssee what happens: if ssshe wants to sssay something, she will, and if ssshe doesn't, then she won't. That way she can decide whether to interact or not.

Lost in an endless train of thought and paying no attention to the book she had gone through such a futile hassle to choose while she wondered at the beauty or the library's interior, Bethsyliss failed to realize that she was holding the book upside down, the cover facing the Eypharian lady sitting across her reading the wrong way around.
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 10th, 2013, 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Words: 142748
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 4th, 2013, 5:48 am

Singh had watched the dark skinned woman as she walked around. She looked....worried and self-conscious. Singh's eye's followed the woman as she scoped around, no longer on the hindering book.

Singh's eye's narrowed as the woman came to sit in front of her, causing Singh's legs to fall from the chair when the woman pulled it out. What even aggravated her more was when the woman then opened the book, upside down, and put it in front of her face.

Singh was slowly seething under her glare and those few who were close enough to see her or feel her aura looked uncomfortable. Singh paid no heed to them but her attention was on the fact that this woman had the book she had been looking for. 'Is she attempting to get on my bad side? Does this girl not know of who she is dealing with!'

While Singh didn't voice her thoughts she did sigh and let go of her glare slowly. Singh breathed through her nose and gained a criticizing look by nature. She reached forward and took the book, flipping it the right way she set it down on the table and pushed it back to the woman.

Singh didn't paid heed to the woman's reaction but grabbed the journal she had been contemplating over and slid it in front of her. Opening to where she left off she glanced up at the woman. 'Now, you may read.'

Singh already didn't like the woman. She was certainly trying to test Singh patience. Singh let out a quiet sigh as she thought over the words Esha spoke to her every morning, 'Today's future it bright! Open up a little Singh my little Sinful. Smile at least three times and not for me. Then when you go to eat don't glare at everyone who wishes to sit next to the pretty Eypharian'

Of course Singh always ignored her sister but she listened and attempted to be open a little more. Maybe today she would be a little kinder. Or... maybe not.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 4th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Bethsyliss was lost in thought when the Eypharian lady brought her back to her senses. It all happened very fast: all in one blurred movement, she snatched the book from Bethsyliss's hands, flipped it, and pushed it back to her across the table, before primly giving her permission to read with hardly concealed contempt, practically making no eye contact as she delved back into her own book. Her eyes were somehow alight with fire and Bethsyliss scorched herself with one of the blazing cinders from that look.

It did not take long for Bethsyliss to realize her mistake. Her mouth agape, she looked at her book and computed the fact that it was the right way around after having been flipped. "What? Oh. Oh dear... I'm terribly embarrasssed. My attention was elsssewhere. Thank you." She did not answer, and Bethsyliss was not sure whether that was due to a conscious choice on her part of to the fact that she was so engrossed in her book she wasn't aware of people addressing her.

"This area is for quiet reading, Awtol Shyke. If you feel like chatting, you can take your friend outside to the library courtyard. Otherwise I will have to ask you to leave for the sake of peace." The Head Librarian with curly hair had crept on Bethsyliss while she was wondering about the Eypharian lady's intentions and was towering above her, the condescension in his oddly hushed voice crashing down on her already vulnerable ego like a storm on a cardboard house. She was also fairly certain that she was supposed to take what he called her as an insult.

"Oh, my. I'm ssso sssorry. I didn't mean to annoy anybody. I'll keep my mouth ssshut."

"Keep it that way," the Head Librarian mumbled irritably, returning to his desk. Bethsyliss was sure he was only pretending to be busy working but was really trying hard to locate any sounds in the library so that he could scold customers. She wasn't sure if it was only her imagination, but the Eypharian lady sitting across her had a slight smirk on her face. She silently returned to Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel and started reading the book.

What an utter bore. After only a couple of pages, an ominous thought distracted her. Ssshould I introduce myself? she asked herself. No, that would come across as ssstrange, seeing as it's been a while since she flipped my book around. Then again, she didn't look too impresssed with my awkward faux pas. Maybe I should go for a friendly overture to sssmooth thingsss out.

And so Bethsyliss extended her hand across the table, unsure exactly how it was that Eypharians greeted each other in Ahnatep but ready to take a step nonetheless: "By the way, my name'sss Syliss." But before the Eypharian lady who had saved her from certain further embarrassment could respond, the Head Librarian was on top of her.

"Get out," he whispered dryly.

"Sir, I was just --"

"Do you want me to fetch the jackal or would you rather leave with no trouble?" he cut her off, the tone of his voice indicating dangerous levels of exasperation.

"I'm leaving, sir," said Bethsyliss, resigning all resistance. She hadn't the faintest idea what a jackal was -- surely it couldn't be an actual jackal, she hoped -- but the latter option the Head Librarian suggested hinted at the fact that the former might prove to be unpleasant should she decide to be uncooperative. She got up from her chair, absently put the book under her right-hand shoulder, and left the library with Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel. At the entrance, neither the Head Librarian nor the armed guard at the door noticed the book she went out with belonged to the Scholar's Sanctum.
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 4th, 2013, 11:31 pm

OOCWhen Singh is thinking it has ' ' around it and is bold.... when she is talking she had " " around it and it will be a separate color and also bold. Just letting you know.. and the part you have her talking is fine. I think it adds a little more to her spice.

Singh smirked lightly when the woman stuttered but realized she hadn't... she simply elongated out her s's. Singh brows furrowed as she though of the race that had the same type of lisp. It took her a while but Singh finally came up with the Dhani. Singh was repulsed. This... thing, dared talk to her? Singh didn't voice her opinion and smirked more visably when the head Librarian came over to scold the woman.

But when he mentioned Singh being her friend Singh turned her glare on and to the Eypharian. 'A Shyke himself.' Singh thought. Singh's glare followed him to his desk as didn't leave him untill he met it and simply shrugged at her. 'If looks could kill. You would be 20 feet under Shyke.'

Singh then turned her attention to her book and read on. So far she had discerned that this book was written by a woman who lived in the slave market. And had recently traveled through Ahnatep.

Just as Singh was turning the page the woman spoke up, "By the way, my name'sss Syliss." Before Singh could reply or make any sort of sound or facial expression the Shyke was back. Singh watched in surprise as the Eypharian simply threatened the woman.

As the woman quickly left with the book, not singing out, Singh stood. Singh's hand found it's way to his face with a quick slap,

" If you want to make money I suggest you learn some manners. Calling them Shyke's when they are simply addressing their mistakes. Maybe you should address yours." Singh pushed the journal into his chest, "An unmarked book, not in the catolouge, and it was simply walked into here. If you cannot catch someone walking in with a book and leaving with out giving it to you, I don't think you can make much if they can start stealing them either."

Singh stormed out of the Library with heated glares at anyone who dared try to stop her or make a move towards her. Singh quickly caught up with the woman who has introduced herself as Syliss. "I'm Singh Re Naphu. Twin to Esha Re Naphu."

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 5th, 2013, 1:12 am

Bethsyliss was terribly distraught. Her first attempt at socialization had lamentably failed, and she was now sure to start earning a bad name around the city. Rumour would inevitably spread of a Dhani newcomer wreaking havoc across Ahnatep, and people would shun her. On top of that, she brought dishonor to her people, the vipers of Eyktol, and, worst of all, she put shame on the parents that bore her as well as her whole ancestry. She nervously walked away from the library, wild-eyed and horror at the future her anxious imagination envisioned for her written all over her livid expression.

A voice broke her out of her eerie torpor. It was the beautiful Eypharian lady who had so kindly flipped her book the right way around: she approached Syliss and introduced herself as Singh re Naphu, twin to Esha re Naphu. She was not expecting such friendly cordiality from the woman who had seemed so engrossed in her own book she had hardly noticed her little banter with the Head Librarian. All her preoccupations instantly vanished with the introduction of that exquisite lady. Maybe I haven't made ssso much a fool of myssself as I initially thought, she perceived, talking to herself. There might be a way to sssalvage the sssituation and sssmooth things out between us after all. I will now deploy my immaculate social skillsss and show this woman I'm not the complete airhead I proved to be in the library.

"I'm very pleased to meet you, Lady Singh," Bethsyliss said with great candour. She extended her right hand in front of her to properly show her delight at meeting this person. As she did so, the book she had inadvertently taken with her from the library, Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel, slipped out from under her shoulder. "How clumsssy of me," she said in manner of apology, giggling uncomfortably, before crouching down to retrieve the book. Only when she had picked it up from the ground did she realize what she had done. She rose very slowly, her face guilt-stricken and a shadow of anguish crossing the corners of her lips. She looked right up into her new acquaintance's eyes, and, after a brief silence, she said: "I ssstole it, didn't I." It was more something of a shameful confession that a real question. Bethsyliss paused then, a pained, tense pause, then raised her hands to her head in hysterical dismay. "It was an accident, I wasssn't paying attention! Oh, Lady Singh, pleassse forgive me, I'm just not having a very good day. If only I could get a hold for a sssecond! Things just won't ssstop piling up on top of me, and I can't ssseem to keep th--"
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 12th, 2013, 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 5th, 2013, 1:51 am

Singh nodded her head at the manners of the woman and how she addressed Singh. Singh wasn't used to the 'hand-shaking' as a greeting but Singh accepted it and lightly shook her hand. Singh touch lighter than a butterfly kiss.

As they quickly shook hands in a greeting the book Syliss was carrying fell. Singh noticed the book was the one Sing had been looking for and realized that the woman had left in such a hurry that she mustn't have realized she had took off with it. At least, that's what she hoped.

Singh simply shrugged when the woman said she stole it, 'Severs him right.' Singh's light shrug turned into a small smile as the woman began to panic. "It was an accident, I wasssn't paying attention! Oh, Lady Singh, pleassse forgive me, I'm just not having a very good day. If only I could get a hold for a sssecond! Things just won't ssstop piling up on top of me, and I can't ssseem to keep th--"

Singh lifted her hand and slowly pushed it to the woman's lips. Barley a touch but just enough to get her to stop talking,
"Child. A breath to the mind would be wise."Singh slowly let her finger dropped and stared at the Dhani.

'Two lesser being you have run into. And you treat them as you would a human. What are you becoming Singh!' Singh mentally shook her head, ' Do what you can for your success. And this is going to help it... what ever it is.' Singh observed the woman. She had dark skin for a Dhani and looked relativity more human than a snake woman. 'Foolishness child. You are full of it.'

Singh shook her head with a small smile, ignoring the thoughts that plagued her mind.
Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 5th, 2013, 3:28 am

Bethsyliss stared in amazement at the beautiful woman that had managed to silence her panic with only one finger and a wise saying. Her thoughts immediately hushed to a tranquil calm and a great impassibility overcame her body and mind. She was neither joyful nor worried; but the restlessness that had been dragging her about all morning had disappeared.

Peering gratefully into the lady's eyes, Bethsyliss caught a glimpse of the delicate intricacies that gave those brown eyes such depth. They were rimmed with gold, a colour not unlike Bethsyliss's own eyes. But Bethsyliss was certain it was not only the complex hue that made those eyes so unique; there was something more, a kind of subtle twinkle emanating from the Eypharian woman's gaze that could only come from inside of her. Bethsyliss was lost in that hazel-coloured ocean of imperturbable steadiness when the finger that had been placed on her lips slowly dropped. As the touch of her new acquaintance faded, a door that it had opened in the mind of Bethsyliss closed shut, and she yearned for the feeling of someone reaching down into her soul she had just experienced. Then, with painful awareness, she blushed.

"A breath to the mind," she repeated wistfully, bowing her head a little out of shyness. "My lady, you seem ssso young yet you carry such great wisssdom." She leveled her head with Singh's gaze and saw her smile. Her cheeks were pricked with demure dimples at the corners of her lips. It conferred an overall sense of gentility to that already exquisitely-shaped face, one that instantly reassured anyone lucky enough to set eyes upon it. Bethsyliss remembered Singh's steely glare from the library and marveled at the way a face could be so transformed by the emotions of its bearer.

"Lady Sssingh," said Bethsyliss with a slight serpentine purr, now speaking more calmly than she had all morning. "Will you help me? What ssshall I do now?" She thought about the possibilities: if she did not return the book, then the consequences would be more grave if ever the library realized it had gone missing; if she did, then she was certain to have to withstand public humiliation. Either way, she was prepared to do whatever the woman she called her lady advised her to do.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Singh Re Naphu on February 5th, 2013, 4:19 am

Singh watched as the dark face lightly colored red in the cheeks. Singh watched the woman's eyes come back into focus as she stopped admiring Singh.

Singh felt her ego slowly rise but kept her face with the small smile that adorned it. "A breath to the mind,"Syliss bowed her head only a little while her voice held admiration."My lady, you seem ssso young yet you carry such great wisssdom."

"The fool speaks while the wise man's ears are open."Singh clasped her hands behind her back and listened closely to those around her and caught a few mumbles of the woman cluttered around a single flower, wilting as it appeared, "Myya say's it will not last the night." "Oh but it must! My money is on that it will last until the 65th of Winter!" "Foolish betting. I say it won't stay for the next moon cycle."

Singh went to explain what she had heard but was interrupted. Syliss spoke with a slight... snakish purr. While she spoke calmly Singh could see her eye's filled with worry but open trust. 'If you open a door once, you know how to open it again. But you also know what's behind it.' Singh thought.

Singh thought over what she could do. The Librarian hadn't seen the book Syliss was reading so there was a possibility Syliss could just keep it. Or Singh could ask for it and keep it to fulfill her want to read it. Singh weighed her options. Keep the book and up her success or simply leave it in the Library's courtyard.

"I over stayed my welcome. And it is un-missed." Singh carefully chose her next words, "Let it be found there." Singh let a hand out and motioned to a deserted out door bench.

There if the Librarian or another passed by it, it would fall on their hands as to what would happen to the book.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 5th, 2013, 1:45 pm

"On the bench?" Bethsyliss looked quizzically at Singh, then shrugged, and took the book to the empty bench Singh had designated. She understood the wise woman's thinking: the book would be retrieved by the guard or one of the librarians whenever they crossed the courtyard without them ever knowing who it was that had removed it from the shelves of the Scholar's Sanctum.

She laid Kelvics, The Journey Forged in Steel down on the bench and spun round to go back the Singh. She had only taken a couple of steps away from the bench when the armed guard at the entrance of the library barked sharply at her. "What do you think you're doing?" Bethsyliss froze in mid-motion, and slowly spun to face the guard. His shoulders were webbed with a leather band, and he wore heavy metal bracers on his arms. His head was covered in a helmet with long sides, fashioned in the shape of a jackal's head. Bethsyliss was reminded of what the Head Librarian had said to her should she not comply to his rules, and understood that the jackal was this armed soldier.

"Were you planning on leaving that book for someone to pick up and put away for you, Awtol Shyke?" he demanded harshly, using that phrase the Head Librarian had used to describe her. She grew all the more certain it was supposed to be offensive.

"Well, I --" Bethsyliss glanced quickly at Singh, and her worried look was met by the Eypharian lady's steady gaze. It immediately reassured her. "You see, sssir, I --"

"I don't really care," the Jackal interrupted her with a little shrug. "If you don't want the book anymore or are about to leave, just take it to Kharne so that he can remove your name from the registration list and put the book up as available. If you aren't in the library, then you're not reading the book, and people should be able to pick it up from the shelves."

"Kharne? Who'sss Kharne?"

"The Head Librarian. The six-armed Eypharian at the desk."

Running away was now out of the question, because she's get the Jackal involved and there was no way she could make that work for her. She had to face the Head Librarian, who would recognize her as the troublesome girl, and who was likely to notice the book she was returning hadn't officially been burrowed; little did she know the books in the Scholar's Sanctum could not actually be loaned out. Now slightly alarmed and unable to think for herself, she turned to Singh for her to tell her what to do. She raised her eyes questioningly to the lady's face, waiting for her to think something up.
Last edited by Bethsyliss on February 12th, 2013, 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next