All Fades in Time (Evalin)

Thundiirn meets a being that could change his life, or end it

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Thundiirn on February 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am

8th of Winter, 512 AV

He'd departed from his typical walking route, and once again found himself lost. The alleyways he passed seemed familiar. He was sure his path had crossed them at some point in his life. But it had been years, and despite this feeling of deja vu he had no idea which way home was.

"Just like my life," he thought to himself, somewhat bitterly. Directionless. Aimless. Always familiar enough with his surroundings, but never quite feeling like he was in the right place. Well, Sunberth as a whole felt right. Just not his current place in it. There was this ever-present feeling of needing something more, something new, something to replace all that he had lost. It never seemed satisfied. It was exhausting, and he had found himself more and more contemplating just ending it all these past few months. Fading into black sometimes sounded quite relaxing, for if he had nowhere better to be, the black of death seemed just as good as the light of day to him now.

Finally, blindly, he crossed a street he recognized well, and was pleased to find he had not wandered past the Sunset Quarters, into any more dangerous parts of town. Home was close indeed, though he wasn't sure he wanted to go back to it quite yet. What would he do there? Stare at a wall, maybe eat something, and then go to sleep? It didn't sound like much fun, and so he turned away and continued along, headed for one of the nearby orphanages. Don't you forget, it could always be worse.... He always took guilty pleasure from seeing those children with no hopes or futures. At least he had a foot on the "right" path, whichever path that was. They had been miles from it since birth, with no idea which direction to go to find their way there. Should he lose his footing, he at least knew in which direction it lay. Sighing, eyes downcast, he plopped himself on a worn wooden bench right outside the gates to watch the children play their wicked little games, always preying on each other in the name of fun. He idly traced with his finger carvings that others had etched into the wood. One, a heart with the initials "H & B" inside it, caught his eye. Were they still together, or had B cheated on H and they hate each others guts now? He wondered how long it had been since those two had sat right in this very spot, their paths invariable crossing his across time, and his heart rang with love long lost. That feeling had definitely been buried with time, but had it truly faded? Would it ever? Thundiirn wasn't quite sure what answer he would prefer.

"Where does my path go from here?" he asked the sky, the ground, whatever would listen. He didn't really expect an answer. Skies didn't tend to give them, he'd found, nor did grounds.
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on February 7th, 2013, 7:40 am

It is rare that one stops to consider that words spoken freely might be heard by ears they are not intended for. Secrets might not stay secrets for long, and whispered words or quiet contemplations are not always safe, even when done within the confines of one's own mind. Curious though, for who would find the need to dabble in the affairs of strangers? Who would care of the misery of another when the world was filled with misery enough? Truly only the darkest of souls, the most twisted of spirits would bother to intervene when in the thoughts of others, yet the darkness of the world holds all kinds of existences.

A figure, both small and hooded would move quickly from an alley. The sounds of footsteps, light and quick, echoed yet they were not unlike the sounds that came from the yard not far off. However, these did not make for the children, and instead came toward the bench where the man dwelled. A body, small, would hoist itself up to sit upon the bench beside Thundiirn. It was... A child. A girl with black hair and thin features. Skin as pale as death, lips grey and dark circles rimming under eyes, this child was certainly unusual. She sat upon the wood, feet swinging idly as she propped a beautifully ornate staff against her shoulder. She wore a skirt and clothing of purple, and about her a cloak of black with hood pulled back. Around her neck a clear blue gem hung from a silver necklace, and when she turned to smile at the man her eyes would be visible. Red... as red as freshly spilt blood. Eyes that looked older than her body. Eyes that held wisdom beyond her years. Eyes that were cold, unfeeling... A sense of unease cloaked her, a gift from the mark of Uldr that was always present. And those eyes... Eyes that stared unblinkingly at the man as she spoke, "Where do you wish it to go?"

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Thundiirn on February 7th, 2013, 8:23 pm

He instantly felt uneasy around this child, as well as disgust. She wore robes and carried an ornate staff. A mageling. He hadn't seen one so young before. His two least favorite things, children and mages, and of course it took a liking to him. Wonderful. Still, it was kind of adorable in a gross sort of way, the way she climbed up next to him and kicked her dangling feet. He tried his best to smile without looking grossed out, and turned to the little creature to speak.

"Eh, I don't really have a direction at the moment. Haven't for a while, in fact. And, without direction, I'm content to just let Fate lead for a bit." He smiled again, at the ridiculousness of discussing such topics with a child. He'd certainly lost his mind, it seemed. Oh well, might as well embrace it. He turned again to speak to her, and caught sight of her eyes beneath the hood.

Odd... her eyes are red... creepy child mages
"So, child, what about you? Where does Fate's path lead you, do you think?"

Was that a glimmer of malice in her eyes? They looked...deeper than one would expect from a child's eyes. Thundiirn's unease was quickly growing at this whole situation. Something was off, and in his experience when something felt off, it was very off. The inherent trust that tends to follow children was fading more every second, and he began to wonder if he should scram. Was this little girl going to rob her, or do worse? What sort of magic did she wield?

His finger idly trailed back once more to the carved heart, significantly less at ease this time with what Fate had given him today.

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on February 15th, 2013, 1:50 am

At the word Fate, the girl's eyes would narrow and a brief flicker of something dark, hate filled would light upon those red eyes, yet just as fast as it was there it would be gone, and those cold points of red would be staring unfeeling at Thundiirn once more.

"Fate..." she whispered, eyes falling to look down between her dangling legs, "Fate has gifted a child with a body to weak to live. Drove her to madness, and desperation. Fate has cruelly plucked from this child what little happiness should could have found, and in his utterly heartless way he forced her to take the life of her Father, and so that she would lead an immortal life upon the blood of others..."

She smiled, and looked back at Thundiir, "Fate truly is the most wretched thing in this world. So uncaring, unfeeling he dolls out punishments before a person has done any wrongs. He guides them to be what he wishes even if they might wish to be something else. He pushes, provokes, prods and tortures all, and yet so many follow his wishes so blind to his ways." She giggled, or was it a cackle, and whispered, looking at Thundiirn, "Fate does not guide me. I forge my own way with fire and ash.

Kicking her legs Evalin's eyes would then fall upon the children at play. She could not remember a time when she had been so carefree as those innocents. Had she ever truly been innocent? Perhaps not, but then that was not of her choosing...

"It is scary to walk this life without a path to follow. So easy it is to stumble and fall into the many traps that Fate has laid for us all." Evalin pulled upon the power within herself, drawing it up to fill her senses and suddenly the world was awakened unlike ever before. Closing her eyes Evalin let the power of her Auristics rest solely in her ears, and there she heard it. It was soft, just a breath upon the wind. It was like the fluttering of wings, the fuffling of feathers. A raven's call and the sound of distant bells. She let the senses slip form her and she opened her eyes, looking to Thundiirn once more, "What has grieved you so? What has terrible trick has Fate played to lead you from your own path...?"

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Thundiirn on February 15th, 2013, 6:46 am

Ah, he caught a glimpse of something as she spoke, and understood the unease that he felt. Her tongue, it was black. Just like the newcomer to the city that he had met, Lopeus. She was a Nuit, and probably several centuries his senior. What an interesting choice, taking a child's body. I wonder what benefits she had seen in such a form? Perhaps she missed her youth?

But now it was Thundiirn's turn to have a flicker of something dark in his gaze, though his was more one of anger than hate. Like the child's, if he could in fact call her a child, it faded quickly and was replaced by calm words. He turned his eyes to meet this being's red gaze, and spoke thus.

"You speak of Fate as though it's a bad thing, yet in my experience it gives as much as it takes. Much like this city. Everything has a cost. Yes Fate took someone from me, but it also gave me him, gave me several amazing years with him and filled my life with love and happiness. There was sadness there, too, but without the happiness one knows not to mourn its absence."

Memories raced through the despairing man's mind, though one in particular stood out today. Ondilo sitting in the street, eyes downcast, was he crying? Thundiirn never was sure.
"I've been very dissatisfied with life recently. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to just be dead." He looked up at Thundiirn, meeting his gaze and giving a goofy little smile. If there had been tears a moment before, there was no evidence now.
Thundiirn's blood froze at this announcement. It wasn't the right response he gave, but he couldn't think, couldn't say the right things at those words. "No. NO. I need you. You can't just QUIT." The words burst out, he couldn't stop them. Didn't want to stop them. "What would I be doing without you? What purpose would I have? Nothing. None. Don't do this to me." The last sentence was a mere whisper.

He had to stop a moment, as he almost choked on his words. When he continued, his voice was quieter.

"Ondilo was the gift Fate gave me. Now I'm dealing with the costs of it, and that is what tears me apart. I know your kind, Nuit. Tell me, do you still love after you die? Or has your heart stopped working that way?"

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on February 23rd, 2013, 7:42 pm

Evalin listened in silence, her legs kicking as she watched the children at play. Within her mind flew thoughts and contemplations.

What a foolish man is this to find such contentment in the workings of cruelty. I know not whether to pity or despise him for his ignorance.

From her icy gem about her neck came a voice as cold as the winds of Avanthal, Opinions born of the heart are not so swayed by the logic of the mind. Pity is a notion that holds no sway upon the minds of the strong.

Evalin nodded slowly, a finger tracing the outline of the gem, Be it ever so my Dear Tsenrika... be it ever so. She glanced at the man, and there she saw his swelling of emotions. The pain of loss and love, of truest happiness suddenly stripped from the bones of life. With some force of will Evlain managed to mask her smile as she looked away, Truly a broken man. I might pity him... yet I believe I shall do something much grander.

Evalin giggled softly, a hand coming to her lips as she smiled, "You ask such silly questions at the oddest of times. Do we love? I would say to you that all things might be possible." She paused, mind falling backwards in time to a point when she, too, hand felt that warmth in her chest, "You think we hard and cruel, cold and callous at all times, yet I say to you that despite the centuries though our hearts grow still and our minds race, we might still remember if we so choose."

Be this not the place for sentiments...

Evalin ignored the words of her Familiar, and instead turned to look fully at Thundiirn, "You, child, have suffered much. You bask in the pain of a wound that refuses to heal, yet what if I were to offer you something much greater?" Her smile spread, eyes darkening as she continued, "I may take that pain away from you, if you wish, and in the same breath I shall offer you a glimpse at the truest wonders of this world that no mere mortal may ever see."

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Thundiirn on February 26th, 2013, 9:12 am

She giggled at his question. It WAS a rather odd question to ask a dead girl, he had to admit, now that he had done so and thought about it. Her response was rather cryptic, and he didn't expect much more sense out of her on the subject, so he allowed her to move on.

"You, child, have suffered much. You bask in the pain of a wound that refuses to heal, yet what if I were to offer you something much greater?"

An interesting statement. Pretty accurate, too. He had not viewed it before as basking, yet indeed he was basking his way through life. He reveled in the pain, in any pain. Perhaps that was why he had come back to Sunberth in the first place, why this city of suffering held such appeal to one as wounded as he was. He HAD always picked at his scabs as a child. Her centuries in this world must have made her observant.
Or perhaps you're just predictable
Shut up, self
The creepy child-thing continued.

"I may take that pain away from you, if you wish, and in the same breath I shall offer you a glimpse at the truest wonders of this world that no mere mortal may ever see."

He stared into her red eyes, exhilarated by a mild fear at her icy words. Only mild, though. What was the worst she could do, kill him?
Nah... she could force him to live this way, with such wounds forever. But why would she? People don't tend to help without cost, but they also don't tend to maim without gain. There had to be some explanation for this crazy offer, if she was indeed implying what he thought she was. Needless to say, he was skeptical. There was more to this deal than had been revealed so far, of that he was certain.

"The same breath, eh? Why do I get the feeling I won't be taking any more breaths if I accept this little 'glimpse'? And why would you do such a thing for a total stranger you have never met before? Tell me first, who are you really, Nuit? What path have you walked that took you to sit on this bench before me, in the guise of a child--it's rather creepy by the way...Is that what you were going for?-- and offer your assistance? What do you want from me?"

The corners of his mouth turned down, a slight frown. He was puzzled. Why couldn't dead people just make sense? She insisted in speaking in half-statements and riddles, leaving him to barrage her with questions and her to just smile confusingly at him...

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on March 11th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Evalin raised an eyebrow, but the smile never left her lips. That smile, that ever present, slightly mocking smile had become her mask. It was what guarded her, protected her. It was the face that she showed to all. That smile... that smallest of smiles that lit upon pale grey lips could have been amusement, or cruelty. Perhaps it was somewhere in between, a foreshadowing of what Evalin actually was. A creature that was neither good nor evil, but simply existed.

"What you ask is not so easily answered. I am Me. I am I. I am she who walks through eternity. I am the Darkness Between the Stars. I am the All Consuming Flame. I am the Sorceress of Flame and Shadow. I am the Summoner of Worlds, the Vengeful Spirit..." She kicked her legs and looked up into Thundiirn's eyes, "But for now, I am simply the Immortal Witch Evalin."

The child witch looked down at her kicking feet, her face twisting into an amused disgusted expression, "Though you might believe me, or you might not, know that this form was simply taken as a last resort. I care for it not, and yet after all the time spent within it I have grown quite fond of it. Strangely enough it DOES have its uses." Eva picked at a thread in her robe as she continued, eyes looking to the playing children once more, "Curious how you know of my kind, and yet do not run in fear that I might steal away your soul. It could be a sign that you are simply insane, or you are, at this very moment, contemplating what I am offering you." She laughed, a giggle that was so child like it contradicted with her own demeanor, "As to what I want from you... I would say that you hold yourself up too high for such a limited creature. I have no use of a broken and down trodden whelp such as yourself. No..." She turned her gaze in full on Thundiir, those points of red flowing with the wisdom of ages, years of hatred and rage, and the power that was held in such a tiny body, "I hold interest in what you could become, if you are truly worthy of course."

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes