[Avanthal (city)] Off to learn more...

Spirit heads to Avanthal hold to hopefully learn more about medicine

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on March 26th, 2013, 4:43 pm

-Spring 23 513 AV-

Spirit walked with purpose and determination, and at a high speed. She wanted to get to Whitevine hold as soon as possible. She had decided, after some debate, that she really needed to learn more about medicine, and improve her skills in it. She stopping for a moment, she sank to the ground, slightly tired. Slugging through the deep snow required a lot of energy. Her husky, Wind, sat next to her and nudged her hand with his head, asking for a pat. She complied willingly, dragging her fingers through his soft fur, which was turning white at the edges. He was growing old, and honestly, travelling wasn't the best for him. Her pause wasn't exactly for herself, but rather for him. She fished a string of meat out of her pack and gave it to him, which he snapped up gratefully. A few minutes later, she got up and set off again.

The walk was not... boring to Spirit, since she enjoyed the time alone and gazing at the landscape around her. Her eyes moved constantly, a calm turquoise, as she gazed around. After a while, she finally spotted the buildings in the distance. Finally! She was almost there... Her pace quickened slightly, and Wind began to struggle to keep up. Spirit noticed this after a few moments, and slowed down, an apologetic expression on her face.

"I'm sorry! I forgot about you... I was so excited to get there!" She said, and patted the dog on the head. He wagged his tail slightly, and continued walking, as if telling Spirit that he was alright. She laughed lightly, and followed the husky happily, her light turquoise eyes fixed at the structure ahead, and her black curls waving behind her. The distance gradually closed, and the structures before her grew bigger as it happened.

She arrived at Whitevine hold soon after, and was greeted by the various residents there. Spirit began to wander around, Wind following, while she looked for a possible teacher. She was, of course, willing to pay for any service. Spirit didn’t come to this hold very often, having no reason to, and preferring to stay at home in a place she knew. She had gone several times, mostly on business, to buy certain items that were harder to get in Frostfawn hold. Using this moment as an opportunity, she looked around the area with interest, taking in the various shops and other buildings around. There were quite a few food vendors around, and the smells from their stalls drew Spirit. She had to use a lot of self-control to stop herself from buying something, since she needed to save her money as much as possible. You never knew when you would need it…

"Excuse me? Could you direct me to someone who could possibly give me some lessons about medicine?" She asked, stopping a Vantha woman with long, straight brownish hair. She smiled at the lady, also exerting a large amount of mental effort not to run away with shyness. She needed to find a teacher, and this was basically the only way to do so. Her fear of new people had to sit aside for this. The woman smiled at her kindly, her wide eyes turning a nice pink, seeming to notice Spirit's suppressed emotion. Truthfully, she did a good job at it, as Spirit relaxed when she saw the woman’s reaction.

"Of course! Come right this way... I'm sure someone would be happy to at the healing centre... there are quite a few healers there." The woman began to walk away, motioning for Spirit to follow her. They walked through the buildings, slightly awkwardly, as the woman moved at a slow and leisurely pace, compared to Spirit’s fast movement. This caused the Vantha girl to have to stop at times, to let the woman catch up, or slowdown, which was hard, and slightly irritating. The woman greeted a few friends of her’s along the way, and even paused for a conversation with one man. This stopped abruptly when the Vantha remembered her job, and she apologised to Spirit, and they continued on their way. Luckily, the embarrassment had an effect on her, since she walked slightly faster, much to Spirit’s delight.

"This way!" The woman called, and showed Spirit a way inside the Whitevine healing centre, to where several healers were in a large room. Some were actually working, leaning over beds or mixing things in bowls, but a pair sat on two empty beds, having a casual conversation. The whole place looked relaxed, and almost bored, and seemingly they did not have a lot of work up their sleeves. The only one who showed any sign of stress at all was the woman leaning over the bed, since her patient seemed to be making a nuisance of himself. She eventually stormed away in frustration, but quickly noticed the newcomers. Realizing that they had seen her outburst, she blushed deeply and dashed behind some curtains at the back of the room.

"Just ask if any will teach you" The woman whispered quietly, then left quietly. One of the two men having the conversation looked up and grinned at Spirit, who was now standing alone in the doorway awkwardly. He stood up and walked happily towards her, as if he was bursting with delight that someone had finally come to cure his boredom (which seemed to be the one disease that the healers in that room had a hard time fixing).

"Hello! I'm Carl Whitevine, healer and teacher here at the Whitevine healing centre! Which you probably already knew…. Did you want anything in particular?" He asked politely, but his voice contained a small amount of excitement. The last sentence in particular held quite a bit of hope in it. He smiled widely, his eyes a bright orange, going well with his short black hair, which also had a lock of the same color in the front. He stood with his feet in a solid stance, though his figure showed no sign of any fighting instruction. It was more wiery and thin, fit for a man who’s job didn’t contain much physical exercise.

Spirit, who had been feeling quite awkward and shy at the time, relaxed visibly at the man’s demeanor. It was unlikely that he would deny her request, as it seemed he would more likely rejoice because of it. Her mind finally settled down, after which she realized she had been tense with nervousness ever since she’d entered the city. It was amazing that she hadn’t noticed at all. Smiling back to the man, she replied with equal politeness: “I’m Spirit Frostfawn. Nice to meet you. I came here hoping that I could find someone to teach me more about medicine, since I would love to know more. I know the basics… Oh, and I’m willing to pay.” At the last, she reached into her pocket and fingered a few gold Mizas. She hoped it wouldn’t cost too much… maybe it would even be free, but that was unlikely. A girl could hope though.

"Well then, you've come to the right place!" He exclaimed, fulfilling her prediction that he would love the idea. He clasped his hands together, and it looked like he almost jumped. "And no, you don't need to pay me at all! I'm bored anyways, since there’s no work to be done at the moment, and it would be my pleasure to pass down my skills! Here, come with me and we'll get started." He turned away and walked towards the back of the room, and Spirit followed. She was beaming with happiness. Not only had the man welcomed the idea, she didn’t need to pay! It was all she could do not to copy Carl’s actions in delight. The man motioned her to a crowded table covered with various things. It held strange metal tools, bandages and little bottles labelled with tight, neat writing. Spirit could only identify the uses of a few things, mainly the bandages and a few of the potions. Looking at the table, she realized the scope of what she needed to learn, and felt a small sinking feeling, but quickly recovered. She would know so much after this! The depressed feeling completely changed direction, and her delight soared, her eyes turning a vivid blue.

Carl picked up three objects from the table that one would normally not think to find in a place like this. The first two were a pair of leather strips, about two inches wide and several feet long. The other was a very fine needle and thread. “I’m going to teach you how to stitch up wounds! It’s very useful in a jam, and good with wide wounds. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to stitch up a wound well... but I’ve found it’s a very jack-of-all trades thing. My wife never does any of the sewing... she just forces me to mend the clothes since I’m good at this.” He smiled and stopped, realizing he was getting off track, and handed the implements to Spirit. After a quick question if she knew the basics of sewing, which she did not, he sighed dramatically and took back the tools. He then proceeded to show the girl how to start a stitch, by tying a knot at the end, and the simplest way to sew up something. The Vantha mentally noted the information down, knowing it would be very useful in the future, and not just in medicine. After getting the basics down, the healer told her to just try neat, even stitches and he would fix her if she screwed up too much. And so the work began, with occasional comments from Carl. At first, Spirit’s stitches were wide and uneven, but by the end of it they were nice and even. Her tutor smiled widely after looking at the Vantha’s girl’s work.

“Well then, you are officially qualified to stitch up wounds! Sort of... well, you can do it well, and effectively now, and that’s always good!” He clapped her on the shoulder, and handed her a mock prize, causing them both to burst into laughter. “I hope you come back, I’d love to teach you again!” He told Spirit, then glanced at the clock high on the wall.

“Oh! I’m sorry… I didn’t know we would take this long! I have something I need to do in… 5 minutes. I should have been ready earlier…” Without letting Spirit get a word in, the healer gave an apologetic smile and quickly dashed out of the room. Spirit stood in slight surprise at the quick exit, but recovered, scolding herself for keeping him so long. After a few minutes, she followed Carl out of the room. Wind, who hadn’t been allowed in the room, barked with delight when she exited, and again feeling guilty, she gave him a thorough petting. They left the healing centre and city together, and the journey home went much faster than before, with Spirit going over all she had learnt in her head on the way back.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Noblesse on April 4th, 2013, 5:52 am

Spirit Frostfawn :
Experience:
  • Observation +2
  • Sewing +1
  • Medicine +1

Lores:
  • Wind Is Showing Signs of Age
  • Stitches Are Used to Treat Open Wounds
Others
+Inventory: Small piece of leather containing Spirit’s attempts at stitching

Notes:
This would have made a nice training thread if it was expounded upon more. I was actually expecting more details from the lesson proper itself, so I was left a bit dissatisfied. I was actually feeling iffy about giving you a point in medicine since you were just practicing stitches on leather instead on a living person, so the points should solely go to sewing. However, I also took into consideration that your character was trying to learn stitching as it would be applied to wounds, so I decided to give you a point in medicine as well.

Do not worry too much about it anymore though, because I understand how hard it is to write in an entirely new environment. For future references, I will give you a very informative example for a medicine training thread here. It was very detailed, and one can see that the player knew what she was trying to make her PC learn. It is also important that the lesson she wrote was all in the player’s own words, and not just directly copy-pasted from websites such as Wikipedia or anywhere else, hence the whooping 5 points in medicine and a bucket load of lores to go with it.

Now that we are past that, let us talk about your dog, Wind the husky. The breed name Husky is a very real world term so I discourage its use. Don’t fret though, we have our very own list of dogs here in Mizahar, found in the Dog's List page! The closest we have to Siberian huskies are Taldera’s very own Zypherian sled dogs, so you may want to start referring to Wind as that. :)

Also,on another note, minutes are not accepted units of time in Mizahar. We do have our own though, found in the Timestamping page in the wiki. Hours are referred to as Bells, and minutes as chimes.

And lastly, you really do not need to indicate that the story happened in Avanthal city on your title, since you already posted it within the forum intended for Avanthal. Those are mostly done when a story takes place in one set location within the city, such as the Red Diamond tavern, White Elk stables, etc. :)

True nobility lies in being superior to your former self
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. Heehee.
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office