A Reunion Too Long Delayed [Kashik, Kavala, Akela]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on June 28th, 2010, 4:42 pm

ImageKavala would have liked to have said she was shocked, but the truth was Akela had warned her after she'd told Akela about the meeting that the odds were likely the girl wouldn't give up on Vanator. She'd also suggested it was none of the sister's business. Akela was practical like that. If someone hurt their brother, THEN they could go skewer her. But if the man was stupid enough to decide to toss his fishing line out into a shallow pond, it was his prerogative. Just because Kavala preferred faster fiercer more dangerous water, didn't mean Vanator couldn't enjoy his fishing when and where he chose. Having Akela and the various Akalaks around her was a lot like having walking encyclopedias on 'The Art of War' wandering loose and offering advice when and where they choose too. Some wars were necessary to fight. Some would simply be shallow and meaningless. Kavala had already wasted a bell in Kashik's company trying to reason with her. There was no way in the world she was going to waste another on a similar endeavor.

And though Kashik had been thoroughly less than nice last time she'd been here, Kavala was certain she'd be on her best behavior this time - even though she knew she wasn't welcome. Vanator was here, and that merited a celebration of sorts, even though he carried a little too much baggage with him for Kavala's liking. Because he was still her brother, but it went no further than that now. Maybe for Akela things would change, but Riverfall was not the Sea of Grass - and Kavala had made her life here.

"Congratulations are in order then. I'm glad to see Father finally got his desire. I know you must be thrilled as well." She smiled, not really caring either. Odds are Kashik had returned to Vanator some way and some how and told him all about their meeting. She'd said horrible things to Kavala, and flung facts at her that frankly shook the girl to the core that a complete stranger knew - while offering nothing of herself in return. Kavala had asked, but the questions had gone ignored for the most part. She could only imagine what the woman had told Vanator or how she'd spun the encounter. But in that instant, studying Vanator's face, Kavala realized how very little it mattered. She loved him dearly - and at one time they had been best friends - but that young girl was dead in so many ways. Her life had started in chains, and she'd been born when her captors died by Akalakian blades. And since then she'd been learning to live - and each day came a little easier. Would she begrudge Kashik a title, a handsome bedmate, and an inheritance of an overly large tent and a half a hundred horses mixed with sheep, goats, and whatever else came with the Pavilion? No, not at all. Besides, she wouldn't live long enough to enjoy it. Historically, they never did.

Kavala glanced at Akela and saw the shadows of taboo cross her face. She gave her sister an abrupt soft laugh that was full of pleasure - and turned to lead the way to the Veranda. If Kashik wanted to join them, Kavala was sure the enterprising little newlywed could find her way all on her own. "You worry too much, Akela." Kavala said softly for her sister's ears alone, her mood abruptly lightening with the realization that Akela didn't want her to start in. Fair enough. She could respect her sister's wishes. It wasn't, after all, like Akela demanded a lot or frequently.

"Well.... We can give you a tour in a little while... but first... " She said abruptly... "I'll ask you what what brings you to Riverfall in a moment... but let me send Aweston out for something for us, okay?" She said, skirting what appeared to be a white tiger roughly the size of a tall strider who was stretched out sleeping in the sun with a fennec fox between his forepaws. The Konti then chased a calico cat off one of the chairs and a Silkena pup off one of the others and made a show of brushing them off before offering one to Van. There were more than enough chairs for everyone to have a seat while Kavala abruptly departed to go find her groom and send him on the errand. He was in the clinic, which was convenient for her because she put away the salve while she was there. And was back moments later with wine or tea for everyone to take their pick from. She set the tray containing a dozen wooden mugs and holding two large pitchers down on the table well within everyone's grasp.

She was back in less than a dozen heartbeats and settled herself easily down in one of the vacant chairs, shifting so she could tuck her feet under her and enjoy the unexpected surprise of her brother's visit.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kashik on July 11th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Kashik did, indeed, know that she wasn't welcome, and she'd no intention of actually sharing that with her husband - she might have told him some of the things that Kavala had said, but she'd tried to say them softly, for she knew how much Vanator loved the memory of his sisters even if those women were no more. And she'd certainly not mentioned that Kav had told her never to come back. Either she would be welcomed as Vanator's wife or the Konti woman would hold to her previous words and forbid her from the Sanctuary, but if it turned out to be the former she'd rather never tell Vanator that it could have been the latter.

But she could also see the lines of tension that ran through all of them, something unspoken in the air between them as they tried to figure each other out, and so she waited until Vanator called her back. These women were her family now, that was true, but they were his family first, and she would leave him to it until he wanted her there.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Words: 136797
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:47 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Vanator on July 19th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Kavala's congratulatory remarks were polite but not enthusiastic, his sister's features reflecting only a hint of surprise and no indication of true happiness for him. But Vanator did not expect a gushing reaction to the news of his marriage, especially given what he knew of his sister's and wife's previous meeting. Even if it had been some other woman, Vanator would have guessed his sisters would have been skeptical of her until they got to know her....grill her would be accurate.

Van caught the curious exchange of glances between his Konti sisters, and the knowing laugh and inaudible whispers Kavala directed at Akela. There was a twinge of jealousy at the sight. At one time it was the three of them laughing and whispering together.

Turning to see Kashik glance at him tentatively, he considered whether she should accompany them. They had been married for barely a tenday, an elopement really. Though they fell in love almost on sight, their relationship was still young. Van was old enough to realize it took more than love to make a marriage work, and there was much he and Kashik would have to work through as time went on. Nevertheless, she was his wife, and she would have to stand by him in the days and years to come. He nodded to the young Drykas woman, indicating she should join them.

The brother turned to follow his sisters, staggering a bit in surprise as they steered around a giant white striped cat, the likes of which Vanator had never seen. His hand instinctively reached for the hand ax thrust through his belt, but seeing the Konti's give the beast little regard, Van relaxed, still awed as he passed the great cat curiously relaxing with the small fox. In fact, as the Drykas surveyed the compound as they approached the veranda, he realized Sanctuary was thriving with life, animals of all sorts, some visible, some only heard. It seemed to be the ideal place for Kavala, a woman who desired to care for others, surrounded by creatures in need of attention.

Waiting for Kavala to shoo away the puppy, Van took a seat in the comfortable chair. He glanced again towards Kashik as she finished up her care of their Striders. As Kavala settled in, Van reached out to pour himself a mug of tea. Taking a few sips of the lightly spiced drink, he glanced at Akela before fixing his gaze on his blue-eyed youngest sister.

"My visit to Riverfall is to see my sisters." Van answered the question Kav had asked. He thought it odd that she would ask the purpose of his visit, having assumed it was obvious. "I regret I have not made it here sooner." A part of him wished he had chosen to head directly from the Watchtower to Riverfall when he heard she was here, perhaps his sister's wisdom would have prevented him from giving and receiving the heartaches of the past season.

"It has been a long two years, and I am very curious to learn about your travels,"
his eyes glanced around the structure, "and what Mura was like." He turned to Akela, "And where your travels had taken you 'Kela." Vanator was not dumb to the subdued reactions of his sisters. Somethings had changed, or had changed them. There had been hints of traumatic events in Kavala's recent past, and he did not want to presume to probe them. "But first, tell me about Sanctuary, and what that is." The brother pointed to the dire tiger lounging in the sun.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kavala on July 20th, 2010, 9:18 am

ImageTruthfully, there was so much that Kavala wanted to tell Vanator - the brother she remembered - but she was simply to wary too. There was a time when whatever she told him had stayed with him. No secrets ever strayed past his lips. She would have trusted him to take it to his grave before sharing the thoughts and feelings and hopes and dreams they used to tell each other. As Kavala settled down in her seat enjoying the shade of the Veranda and the reunion of sorts, she knew unfortunately those times were over. Kashik knew too much about her, including the 'tragedy' that Vanator had obviously told her about. And the konti was glad for a moment that she hadn't shared any of the details with him in her letter. She was a fool, truth be told, to have shared what she did. Kavala wanted to demand the reason from him, a reason for what she considered a betrayal - to rage at him for sharing such intimate knowledge with a perfect stranger who had in essence turned it into a verbal weapon. Even on the grass, knowledge was power. Ankals knew better than to wield it so casually and hand it out so willynilly.

He must love Kashik deeply to have strengthened her so.

Kashik had come before her armed with all the information she could muster while Kavala had stood unarmed. Her questions had gone ignored and in the end the womans visit had been more like a second 'tragedy' than a casual get together the girl had claimed it was meant to be. It felt that way because Kashik had violated Kavala's intense sense of privacy and decency in just about every way imaginable while trying to force a friendship in the Konti she was unwilling to commit too. Even now, the youngest sister noted, she wielded a power over Vanator, standing stoic in the distance as if to remind him of her presence and force him to invite her into a situation where she had no place or else be considered rude.

Manipulator. You will reap what you sow.

It killed any desire in Kavala to be anywhere near as open and forthright with Vanator as she might have been had he been alone. Was he a puppet mastered by a puppeteer who held him on a tight leash? Time and the curse would tell. There was so many things Kashik could have done to begin fixing some of the damage her last visit had wrought, but Kavala doubted she'd make the attempt. The Konti assumed she'd play the perfect wife, pretending nothing was out of place and go through the motions of a perfect family visit.

Sickening.

So to calm herself while her brother summoned his new keeper, the konti glanced at Dyrid and Flick and smiled softly at their casual acceptance of each other and how much the pair just seemed to fit. She then offered a smile to Akela - one her sister could clearly read as 'I'll be good but don't expect me to like it.' And then she began to carefully answer Vanator's questions. In her response, she absolutely gave nothing of herself. There was no emotion, no warmth, no coldness, nothing. It was as if the mask of a stranger settled comfortably over Kavala's face transforming her words into plain spoken facts devoid of personality and humor. It was the type of voice and expression that would have put Hatot and even Radris on edge if they would have witnessed it - understanding how deeply Kavala bled when such masks fell into place.

Why did you give her such a large piece of me? Why did you arm her so well? Was I just nothing too you that my privacy wasn't important? Didn't you know she'd use all that information to hurt? To drive home her empty meaningless points? I have loved you for longer, Vanator, and I will love you even when your bones join Tamars and are nothing but dirt and yet my heart still beats. We are of the same blood. We have ties that bind us together deeply. And yet you severed them neatly, brother. Why? When she did finally speak, Kava'a's words were level, delivered in a tone much like any other.

"It is definitely nice to see you, Vanator. I wi..." She'd started to say something else but didn't follow through with the thought. Instead, she caught a slight note in his voice at the word regret and tilted her head slightly. Vanator rarely had regrets about anything. If they were alone, just the three of them, she would have asked him why. But instead, if he wasn't willing to voice a reason to his regret, then she wasn't really willing to ask him why he had it to begin with.

"He's a myrian tiger and a good friend. Kelvic. They both are. When they both wake up, I'll imagine you'll get to meet them. His name is Dyrid and the fennec between his paws is Flick. Together they are a whole lot of trouble. Dyrid and Flick share a special bond with me."
Kavala said softly, her face loosing some of its expressionlessness as she stared at the pair. When her eyes slid back to Vanators, he caught a glimpse of his sister, the one he used to know. Then, just like that she was gone again.

"Sanctuary is a breeding training and boarding facility for horses. It is also a shelter for animals that need one and a clinic of sorts for those that are wounded or are otherwise in need of medical care."
Kavala said plainly. She glanced at the clinic a moment and smiled. "I learned to be a healer in Mura at the Opal Temple. I almost joined the Opal Order. But I learned my talents were not with people per say but with animals and kelvics. It took me a long time to finally realize that it was fine to specialize in these sorts of medicines. And believe it or not, there is a great need." She added, nodding thoughtfully. "Sanctuary was born out of that need and shelters a great many people, not just animals, and their ideas these days." She said softly, thoughtfully.

"Mura was different - built half above the waves and half beneath. I learned a great deal there. I fell in love with the sea, for one, and realized it is incredibly hard for a Konti to be too far from the waves for too long. We are as a part of the ocean as we are a part of the land. It nourishes us in ways I can't even begin to explain."
Kavala said thoughtfully. She didn't mention her trip back from Mura, the 'tragedy' or anything remotely related to Akela. Her sister's story was her own to tell if she chose too. If she didn't, then Kavala was sure she had her reasons. She hadn't forgot what it meant to be a sibling, especially not to Akela. She owed her sister her life in more ways than she could count... even if now she owned her sister.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on July 22nd, 2010, 1:06 pm

Vanator was not comfortable. The Ankal's son did not like being uncomfortable. Wood and stone walls and cozy chairs were not familiar to him. The strange surroundings only compounded the growing uneasiness he had about this visit, and most of all, Kavala's behavior.

She was a stranger. She gave her brother nothing familiar to cling to, no sign of affection or even recognition of the closeness they once shared. Had Kavala been rude and cold, at least he could surmise he had done something wrong and he could address it, but watching her as she sat down, the look she gave him held nothing. It was polite and amiable... and not Kavala.

The Konti spoke up, even toned. Her words were friendly enough, but halted mid-sentence. Vanator caught the curious look she gave him, before explaining the strange pair of animals they had passed. Kelvics. He glanced at the two lounging in the sun, wondering if Kavala meant that she had bonded with one or both of them, like Pygmy had described to him. When his eyes met Kavala's again, he saw the glimpse of her old self. It was a thread of recognition that Vanator seized upon before the mask fell again. Was his sister still in there?

The Drykas' disappointment and confusion with the interaction began to dissolve into a more assertively unhappy emotion. Akela gave him no further clues to the change in them, herself subdued and hovering over their sister. Something was going on. His glance darting again to the large tiger and petite fox, he replied with an equally guarded congeniality. "Kelvic, I had never met one until last season, she is....was a good friend." It had been a couple tenday since Pygmy's traumatic departure, assuming the name he had given her, Dhanya. Vanator still felt the sting of her last words, and it was reflected in a melancholy wave that briefly washed across his face.

Vanator turned his attention back to his sister and listened as Kavala spoke of Sanctuary and Mura. Her tone had changed, more thoughtful as she described the things that obviously had come to be dear to her. She spoke of them in an endearing voice, though he sensed no real enthusiasm in sharing it with him. Looking around as she spoke, Vanator could see she still had passion for things, still wanted to serve others.

It was also the first time he had ever really heard Kavala identify herself with the Konti. He had never stopped considering her Drykas, though it appeared most everyone else, including the sisters, had. There had been no doubt that part of the purpose behind Kavala's travel to Mura was to connect to the part of her that was her mother. Though the writing was already on the wall by then, Vanator had refused to admit his dear sister would most likely never return to the Pavilion.

There was a awkward pause, at least awkward for Vanator. The stranger with Kavala's face seemed content as she sipped from her cup, as Akela kept an eye on the both of them, almost as if anticipating something. The brother's patience finally frayed. This was not why he came to Riverfall, to be greeted like a third cousin and entertained at arms length. He had longed to see his sisters, had even invisioned their reunion, full of laughter and jokes and the kind of candor they all once shared. He could only guess at what had fallen over his sisters. Of course his first thoughts were that he had done something. Were they that upset that he got married, or was it that he married Kashik? Was it that he didn't come to Riverfall sooner? He doubted either case, what he saw sitting across from him was never part of Kavala's angry or disappointed responses to his behavior.

Vanator's disquiet grew to the verge of being angry. Not necessarily at Kavala or Akela, but at the circumstances. Something or someone had done something to his sisters to change them so sharply. That ambiguous something was the true focus of his ire.

Eaten up with the charade, Vanator set his mug down and looked over across the compound to Kashik, who just turned from the Striders towards the veranda. What he wanted to do would be best done just between the siblings. He did not want to hurt his new wife, but she had so far been nothing but supportive of his needs, and she would have to understand this request as well. He held his hand up towards her, indicating that he needed sometime alone with his sisters. His face was firm, and at that distance, he hoped she could see the apology flash in his brown eyes.

Turning back, he gripped the ends of the arms of his chair, moving to the edge of the seat and leaning slightly towards Kavala. His visge was serious, his jaw set, but a softness lingered in his gold-flecked gaze.

The brother was blunt and to the point. He glanced at Akela before addressing the younger sister. "Kavala, what is going on? What has happened? Why do you look at me like I am a stranger?"
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on July 22nd, 2010, 7:10 pm

ImageKavala blinked a moment in surprise. The Konti shifted her eyes abruptly from where they were watching Kashik after Vanator's exchange with her, to meet her brother's gaze - but she didn't quite get there. Before she caught his gaze her awareness instantly tapped into his emotion. She couldn't feel them, not like another Konti would. But she could read his body language. He was angry. Her eyes darted down, caught his grip on the arms of the chair, and how he shifted his body forward as if reading himself to attack. Her eyes crossed up to his face and halted at the tightened jaw before ricocheting off his form to glance immediately and quickly around to assess any weapons he might have access too - both on and off his body. Anything could be a weapon. Something on the table, a broken piece of furniture, a decorative rock used to spruce up the Veranda.

Kavala learned not to look angry people in the eyes. I tended to provoke them. Perhaps that was why she missed the softness in them.

She reacted without thinking, part of Hatot's training and part of the new confidence she'd gained over the seasons being in Riverfall. Neatly, with a conservation of movement, she had a chair between them - one she vacated without remembering she'd done so or consciously deciding to move. Then, and only then did her gaze meet his. She was tense, wary, and stood like a fighter.

Vanator could then see, perhaps, how much she'd changed physically as well. The sleeveless tunic revealed arms that were no longer soft and slender with a smattering of exotic scales. They were alabaster but sculpted, hardened with what must have been backbreaking work and long hours involved in labor. Vanator wouldn't have known it, but every fence post in the facility, ever pasture post, every rail and even the second story mews and the stairway up alongside the veranda that went directly to Kavala's quarters were dug or the nails pounded in by his sister. She stood, not casually like she used too, but with her weight on the balls of her feet, back straight but strangely relaxed enough he got the impression she knew how to fight and would do so any second. Her body was like a bow string strung tight.

"You are a stranger. The brother I know, the Ankal in training for the Denusk Pavilion, wouldn't have told a stranger almost everything important there was to know about me... including incredibly private things like something I told him in a private letter in an explanation for why I didn't come home? Especially something he doesn't even have details on. Guess what she did with them? She used them like weapons to invade my home and to try and force a relationship with me that was completely and utterly inappropriate and unwelcome. She came here. She prejudged me. Then she judged me again, seemingly disappointed I wasn't the person you described me to be. Then, she left in disgust." Kavala said without emotion. The mask was back, carefully guarding her features.

"My brother would have never done something like that, no matter how well-meaning. It was a setup for failure from the beginning. He would have never armed a stranger with the means to try and force me to do something I did not wish to do. People the males of our family get involved with die. I told her and she dismissed it and resumed trying to get me to instantly love her. She tried to sell herself to me like a prized pony and as something she clearly wasn't. It was insulting and embarrassing to have someone you don't even know say things like... "
"He told me you were quiet, but I think he must remember the person you were before this tragedy struck you"...
"What tragedy Vanator? I asked her but she refused to answer. She refused, in fact, to answer most of my questions so I was faced with a stranger that I knew almost nothing about that seemed to know everything about me. It was a very bad situation."
Kavala said. She glanced at Akela, waiting for her sister to give her some sort of 'told you not to go here...' look. But she wasn't finished yet.

"I'm not a fool. I can make decisions for myself and make my own friends. Everything she did was heavy handed, inappropriate, and ridiculously shallow. I will not be manipulated like that willingly and stand quietly by. It felt a whole lot like a betrayal. We used to laugh at the women like that who threw themselves at you with the 'look how pretty I am, how funny, how smart, how beautiful... butter wouldn't melt in my mouth...' types... yet thats exactly what she did to me. We used to laugh daily at them. And now you went and married one? I don't even know who you are, Vanator, if indeed it was as she says it was. My brother wouldn't have put me in that position. I wouldn't have believed it, but since she knew all these things almost no one but you knew, I had to accept what she said was the truth or at least her version of it. And that she's here now, as your wife, after I specifically told her she was not welcome to come here ever again... tells me volumes as well. She got what she wanted and she has no respect for me or my wishes. What more is there to say? As her husband you are responsible for her behavior and her actions. She becomes a reflection of you. If I want to see you and have a visit, I have to accept her. She knows it, and its a bitch move yet again. How can you just boldly march her in here like this after something like that? Or did she even tell you? Again, that's not something my brother and my once best friend would do. He'd probably have even invited me to the wedding, both of us in fact, since he knew where we lived." Kavala said softly, shaking her head. "And we would have came... because it was you." She said carefully, her eyes still empty. She would give nothing else away to him, especially not her feelings. The quiet monochromatic words should speak for themselves. If they didn't, she could elaborate. But until then she waited for his reaction.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on July 23rd, 2010, 12:18 pm

Vanator leaned back in surprise, caught off guard by Kavala's sudden movement. As he watched her spring to her feet, swing the chair between them and assume a defensive posture, her brother stared in confusion. She actually believed he posed a threat. Never had he ever harmed his beloved sister, and never could he imagine ever doing so. His heart sank. This was not Kavala, at all. It was if some malevolent spirit had taken over his sister's body.

Even that had changed. It was true, as she stood tensed before him, Vanator could see his sister's soft curves had been replaced by lean muscle, corded arms and slimmed waist. But it was not only the appearance of her physique that was different, but how she held it. Kavala's stance, her reactions, told him someone had trained her in fighting. Maybe Akela had finally convinced her she needed to learn to defend herself. It was ironic, he thought as he looked over his sister, that she appeared more Drykas now than she ever had.

The unfamiliar, flat tone in Kavala's voice continued as she began to explain. It was about Kashik, after all, or so he thought at first. But as his sister spilled the accusations and stinging rebuke she had harbored against him, Vanator realized it was about him. Though she would not give him the satisfaction of emotion, the sting in Kavala's words spoke volumes of the hurt, anger and betrayal she felt.

Vanator looked towards Akela, seeing the affirmation in her eyes. The Drykas was overwhelmed by the disdain Kavala had for Kashik, and the transgressions she had pinned on him. Sensitive to the fact that Kavala had always been a private person, Vanator could not imagine what Kashik could have said or done to make his sister feel so violated, or how she could believe him so insensitive and thoughtless to have consciously compromised her trust.

When Kavala's last poignant words fell between them. Vanator slowly rose to his feet, conscious not to appear threatening. He was deeply perplexed, hurt, angry and indignant. His voice rose. Contrary to Kavala's emotionless monotone, Vanator's was thick with angst, but restrained for the moment. "Do you think so little of me sister, after all theses years? Did two bells with a stranger outweigh the lifetime I had spent with you?"

Kashik had told him enough to know that the interaction was not pleasant, but Vanator had withheld judgment until he heard his sister's story. The fact that Kashik had been told never to return came as a surprise to him, something he would have liked to have known. He had believed that Kashik's overt, outgoing nature could chafe his more introverted sisters, but the idea that she had conspired to manipulate Kavala seemed extreme.

"What I told Kashik was what my family meant to me. That had to include you and Akela. It was nothing more that what any relative in our pavilion would have said about us having seen us all grow up together. I did not arm some stranger with some secret knowledge to use against you. I shared my past with someone who actually cared what was important to me. The type of person I had not had since you left."

He glanced out again, not seeing Kashik. He turned his gaze back to Kavala. "I did tell her I knew that you had a run-in with slavers, I don't know anything more than that, and neither did she. But having seen you now, and knowing the Kavala I had described to her, it would not be a stretch to assume it was a tragic event."

"I am not going to justify my life to you. You may be able to survive without anyone, but I need someone to share things with, and you aren't there anymore. So forgive me if I reveal my fond memories and concerns for you with someone else. I regret that my overly friendly wife offended you, I really am, and maybe she came on too strong, but to accuse me of deliberately violating you, of disregarding you and that somehow I have changed so much as to not have the love and care of a brother is insulting and most unlike my Kavala."

"And as for Kashik, I am sorry she does not meet your high standards. But no woman has met either of your approvals since Tamar died, " he paused, still moved at that phrase. Vanator's gaze darted to Akela before returning to Kavala's unfeeling blue eyes, " You had systematically chased them off, either with the threat of a katana or of 'the curse'. I appreciate you interfering with my life again by trying to scare Kashik with that superstitious nonsense. You seem to have had this woman all figured out in the length of a bell. But you gave up your right to judge my choices when you left the pavilion, and I am not going to defend or justify my choices to you any more. You dare to insult my wife, like I am some little brother, in doing so you have insulted me, sister."

His anger burned, his hurt deepened as he stewed over Kavala's railing. The deep love he still felt for her only intensified his emotional reaction. Vanator paused, making an effort to control his ire. With a sigh, his featured softened a bit. "You cannot tell me her offense, and what you think of me now, is all that has brought these changes in you."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on July 23rd, 2010, 5:46 pm

ImageShe simply watched him. Kavala didn't react, didn't show emotion, and didn't seem to grow more angry or soften. She had regrets. Glancing at Akela, Kavala understood her sister had been right. It wasn't worth fighting with him. He would be here what... a day? Two? Then they would be gone again. If the woman with him made him happy, then so be it and for that Kavala would be grateful to Kashik for a long while. But, Vanator had proven himself completely untrustworthy with anything of value. She would share nothing more with him. Staring at him, she realized something important. All her life she'd idolized him like he was some sort of saint and placed him on a pedestal in which all Drykas were supposed to of their Ankal and their heirs. But he was only human.

For the first time she recognized the sacrifice her mother's Call had caused her. They weren't the same species. And while two people could have the same ideals, that didn't necessarily mean loyalty or remaining true to those ideals.

"It's one thing to tell someone how much another means to you. But if that person truly does mean that much, then it should be expected that their privacy and their thoughts be taken into consideration in regards ones actions and words. I regret, Vanator, that I told you things you clearly refuse to keep private. You say I have changed and that is true. But you've changed too. My brother would not have ever spoken thusly before, especially to someone he'd only known a bell or two. I'm glad to know he is the type that will now." She said firmly. Truthfully, it was a repeat of somethings he'd said moments before, and it was a sign to her that their argument would soon become circular.

There were rules to arguments. Their father had taught them that much and Kavala had listened. So she knew she'd never change anyone's mind by arguing with them or even correcting facts. They would simply seek new facts to back up their current opinion. The bell with Kashik had taught her that much. The Drykas were also incredibly stubborn and set in their ways, often taking a stance and keeping it unto their deaths. Konti were different. They were trained to assess situations and on top of that most of them lacked the need to win anything. Simply knowing they were right was enough of a victory for them to completely let the argument go.

And she needed to let this one go.

She was a healer. It was her job in life to heal. It wasn't her job to tell her brother how to live his life. But on the same token, she wasn't going to let him walk all over her nor force Kashik down her throat. And while he said it would have been nice to know she wasn't welcome, the comment ended there which meant either Vanator didn't agree with it or he didn't care to acknowledge there was an issue with it either. So, in typical Denusk fashion, that which couldn't be dealt with would be ignored. She wasn't used to having her feelings or wishes ignored. Of course she wasn't used to Vanator telling total strangers all about their lives either.

Kavala was so glad she lived in Riverfall now.

"You should probably spare your regrets. They are wasted on me, Van. So is the diplomacy. It is what it is and I understand fully if it comes down to believing one of us over another who will get the short tent stake. In the long run, really, it doesn't matter anymore. I don't care who you share your bedroll with. Akela and I never have. But we've also never driven women off. We've been friendly and helpful and hopeful that you'd fall in love again and marry, even multiple times. To say otherwise... well, lets just say you probably should examine your memories a little closer. We've always wanted you to be happy." And while she wouldn't bring it up, there had been quite a few instances where they'd taken the time to talk to a heartbroken young suitor and tried to make them feel better when something had happened to hurt their feelings where there brother was concerned.

"But the fact that this girl rode in here, claimed to have met you briefly on the road for less than a day, knew all there was to know about me plus something very private and personal... wasn't at all like the brother I know. I would have understood had he shared something of me and Akela with someone he'd known for a while and loved. I don't begrudge you that, Vanator. But she claimed she barely knew you and had only spoken to you for part of a day and likely that she'd never see you again. I'm sorry, but that is incredibly disturbing to me. Incredibly so. You told a complete stranger all about me, knowing nothing of her, and she rode in here and used that knowledge in a way that was inexcusable."
Kavala did owe him an answer to his question though. "So to answer your question, yes... it appears to me that two bells with a stranger did outweigh a liftetime by your own choice. I hope shes worth it." That was the core of the issue. But it was one in which Vanator wasn't going to ever admit he was anything but right about. Kavala might as well be arguing with the wind, it made about as much sense. So she inhaled deeply, picked up her mug of tea and took a sip, then carefully thought about taking her seat again. It would take her a moment to work up the courage.

"I do not mean to insult you. I am sorry you are angry, but you brought this up and asked. I wasn't going to speak of it. It's not something that is going to benefit either of us for I doubt it can be talked through. You won't convince me she's a good person. And I won't convince you she's not." That too was the truth. Kavala glanced at Akela once more and knew her older sister had gifts she hadn't yet discovered. Akela was the wise one. She knew inherently where to pick battles and where not to fight. And Kavala suddenly felt like a pile of well-dried horse dung that here she was hurt and bleeding from what Vanator had done by giving all that information to Kashik - information the girl had gleefully used - and yet she found herself apologizing to him because he was now offended. He made it sound so innocent.

So calmly Kavala took her seat, which took her truthfully a lot of courage, even though the man was Vanator and even though he hadn't ever struck her a day in his life. He was male. He was human. And he was mad as hell. But she forced herself to face it and slip back into her seat. Hatot would have been proud though, for her posture never relaxed and even seated she was positioned unconsciously so she could move in an instant, decide in a heartbeat, and be free of the anger that felt like it surrounded her.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on July 24th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Vanator could not believe this was happening. He could not believe the depth of the grudge Kavala held against him. Nothing he said had appeased her, only giving her fuel to use against him. Though he may not have understood how these events could have driven her so far from him, it was clear that they were severe and unreparable to Kavala.

Though her calm and unflappable demeanor infuriated the Drykas, he too saw the futility of trying to defend himself or Kashik. He wanted to rail at his sister, tell her she knew nothing about love, that she was heartless for cutting him off like this with no chance for redemption. A flood of words strived to be released, hateful words born from indignation, confusion, and the desperation he felt that he had lost Kavala forever. But he did not give utterance to a single one of them, appalled that he could consider unleashing them on his beloved sister. Besides, she had an arsenal of barbs that would refute and rebuke his aimless accusations.

But it was clear the brother and sister that once were, were no more. They had agreed on that one point. Even the past they shared was remembered different in each one's mind. Vanator stared at Kavala, who remained almost smug. He did not see his sister any more in the beautiful pale face. Was this how real Konti were? Haughty and judging and condenscending? No, that was his hurt pride talking. Kavala and Akela's mother was one of the finest women he had ever known, and she came from Mura itself.

Vanator resigned to the fact that an impasse would separate them, possibly for the rest his life. His rage fizzled, though his angst would not abate. He still bristled at the names he knew she hand branded him with. Betrayer. Untrustworthy. They plunged like a spear through him, and he resented the unjustice he felt at them. He resented Kavala for choosing to shut him out, Akela for her complacency, and even Kashik, if only because she unwittingly instigated the event. Though he was an heir to an Ankal, and had thirty five winters under his belt, Vanator still dealt poorly with his emotions, for ultimately, though he cast his resentment among the women around him, the man knew he had brought all the woes in his life down upon himself. Starting with his failure to protect Tamar.

Vanator sighed, turning away from his sisters to lean against a pillar and look out at Santuary. Kashik was nowhere in sight, and for that he was grateful. He did not want to unleash upon her. His gaze fell to the dire tiger and the fox curled up against him. Kavala and Vanator were like that once. He had held her when her mother died, she him after they lost Tamar. His anger eased as sorrow washed over him.

Van turned his head back to his sisters. "You say I should not waste my regrets on you. I don't know how you can say that so coldly. How you can believe I think so little of you that I could not mourn the rift that has separated us? I will regret for the rest of my life that something I have done has violated you so. For that I will forever be sorry. Also, I do not believe my transgression is all that has brought a change to you Kav." Vanator's gaze turned to the series of thin scars on his sisters arms. "I regret that you will never trust me enough to share with me what those things are."

Had the brother seen any crack in his sister's mask, any indication of feelings, anger, sorrow, hurt, love, he would had pushed further. But he saw no invitation to pursue reconciliation. "You assume that I choose Kashik over you. You overestimate her influence over me, and underestimate your own, or at least the sister I had known. I did not choose her simply because she pleases me in my bedroll. She comes from a respected pavilion, is a skilled warrior, and is well versed in clan politics. We have not had a ceremony yet, you two certainly would have been invited. We exchanged vows before Cheva privately before coming to Riverfall. I am sure that will further disappoint you." He stopped, the unmoved features of his sister's face proving his words were pointless.

"I will not demean her, for she is my wife. But I will honor your wishes, sister. We will not stay in your home, we will find a place to stay in Riverfall."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on July 25th, 2010, 6:44 pm

ImageKavala set her mug down and rose, following her brother to where he leaned against the support beam that held the roof of the Veranda up. She touched his arm, looked up into his eyes, and spoke softly then. "We've known each other for more than thirty years, Vanator. I've never had a life without you in it. You've been the best brother a girl could ever ask for. I've never lied to you. I've never exaggerated something. You've always made it easy for me to be myself and be up front with you. That's why we've been close. And that's why I'm so angry about this... so hurt. " Kavala said softly.

"We've had a lifetime together and she's had at that time only a few bells. I'm not lying now when I tell you she used the knowledge you gave her as a weapon. I have no reason too. But if I can't trust you with what I tell you - things I want you to keep to yourself - then how can we be close? How can we be friends? I've always been proud of you. I've always been glad you're my brother. But if you won't acknowledge your mistake here and apologize for it sincerely, what else is there for me to do? You say your sorry you did something to create a rift, but that's not the same as saying "Kavala, I screwed up. It won't happen again. Your life is your business, not my wifes." All I need, Vanator, is for you to understand.... truly understand... why I'm angry. Is that so hard? Is it so hard to believe someone you've known and loved for thirty years? If it is, then there's no use us even trying to be family. I'm not perfect. No one is. I've scared you and made you really mad before too. We've always talked it out. But your defensive here. Overly so. And I'm not sure if its because I am a little different than I was when I left the sea of grass or if its because when you get older, adult issues are a lot harder to solve than the problems of children. It might even be because we don't see each other on a day to day basis and that makes things even worse to sort through. I want to trust you. I really want too. But until you can understand these things... why they are so incredibly personal... I can't. Because understanding has to come before trust." She said softly, looking up into his eyes.

"You and your new wife can stay with us. It's fine. She's family now and I'll retract my unwelcome. Besides, Akela will take after me with her Katana if I don't."
She added, sighing and turning her head to stare at the vista of the courtyard. Kavala was proud of what she'd built here. But without love - especially the love of family, life was meaningless.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext