[Sanctuary] Face To Face With Darkness (Radris)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on June 24th, 2010, 8:06 pm

ImageTimestamp: 50th of Summer, 510 AV
Purpose: A Heart to Heart with Radris

She sat waiting on the Veranda, curled up in a crimson cloak that the moonlight washed into a deep splash of blood red in the darkness. Kavala suspected he'd went to a tavern somewhere, to either drink or pick a fight with more of his kind. A calico cat had kept her company for most of the night, though Patches had long since abandoned Kavala's lap to go hunt mice in the darkness. There was, after all, nothing like a midnight snack - especially if it meant stealing it from the owl.

Kavala loved nights like these. The wind was still warm and unlike the daylight hours when she worked, her hair was not tied up in a ponytail or restrained in a braid. It was loose and flowing around her shoulders, giving her curled up form the over all impression of a small snow-capped peak with ice flowing down its shoulders slumbering in the darkness. Only she wasn't sleeping. Kavala was wide awake. She'd been mad at him long enough and it was time to actually talk to him - worked out their differences if that was possible... struck some sort of compromise for Hatot's sake. He was so angry. Always. The violence she could understand, but the anger was something else. She wanted to know more about it. And in a way, she wanted to see if she could somehow help bridge the gap between the two men. She couldn't be their only bridge, of course, but she didn't want to be a wedge either, dividing them further into two halves.

So she waited. Patiently... letting the bells slide by. She waited until she heard his footsteps, glad for once he'd decided to return here instead of wherever it was that he sometimes went. She waited to see his face, to be sure it was him and not Hatot. And she waited, hoping he wasn't too drunk, or too angry - in hopes he would actually want to talk.

"Radris?" She said softly as he approached. "I waited up for you. Do you think... we could talk?" She asked softly, waiting for the moonlight to fall on his face so she could judge his mood and pick up any of his thoughts as they crossed his features. It could be dangerous to be out here alone with him. But, it was a step she was going to have to take. It was something she'd have to get used to if she wanted time with Hatot. Radris was just as much a part of Hatot's life.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hatot on June 25th, 2010, 6:24 am

Radris slowly dragged his feet, his forward motion of walking more zig zagged at the moment. His eyes were lazy and his breath smelled of ale. Patches of dust from the Arena grounds covered his boots and pants and small bruises lined his arms and face, a small cut along the corner of his mouth, which still held a slight smile. Apparently it had been a good night for him.

As he rounded the corner, his movement stopped as his foot stepped along the edge of the veranda, seeing Kavala sitting there wrapped in her blanket. He gave a slow sigh as she asked to talk with him, his face dropping as he stared to the ground. “Oh boy, I feel a buzz kill coming.” Radris muttered under his breath as stepped up fully onto the veranda.

Slow steps carried him over towards an empty seat as he eyed Kavala suspiciously. She hadn’t been talking to him for some time, which suited him well enough considering she lectured him most of the time when she did. In the end, it seemed tonight would bring an end to the silent treatment. “What did I do now? I didn’t mean to do it. Magically altered lemmings framed me. It wasn’t my fault.” Radris started spattering as he took a seat next to the table, laying his arm along it’s surface in a half lean.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 25th, 2010, 4:26 pm

ImageHow was she going to do this? Kavala studied Hatot's face, with all its abrasions - the healer in her itching to sooth over his wounds. But it wasn't Hatot's face now... not really. It was Radris', and that was the core of the problem. Kavala felt like there was no way her life with Hatot could be as smooth as the Akalak deserved unless she made peace with Radris. The only problem was, making peace with Radris was going to take some doing, and part of that doing meant that she needed to learn more about him and find out just exactly why they clashed so much.

"You didn't do anything. I'm not going to lecture you."
She said softly, drawing a knee up and wrapping her arms around them. "I just... want to be able to understand you a bit more. I'd like to get to know you." She said even more softly, smelling the ale on his breath and knowing he was out probably brawling half the night. "I really care about Hatot, Radris. But caring about him means being with you too. You have his memories, know his innermost thoughts, and in some regards share all his experiences - if I understand correctly. The Council has said I'm out of time to be choosy before I begin paying my debt. So if Hatot sires a child with me, that child will be just as much yours as well. I want to get to know his father better. A lot better... and find out why we don't get along so well. I... I know you disapprove of me. I'm not sure why, but if you can tell me I can hopefully change - at least try to - to make this whole thing easier for all three of us." Kavala said, putting herself out there.

"I know how sometimes when I'm stretched out beside Hatot at night sleeping, he withdraws and leaves you there. I can tell when his mannerisms change. And I am afraid of you, Radris... a lot afraid of your strength both physically and mentally. I admire it though too, truth be told, and wish I was a little more like it. But I have a deal for you... one Hatot might not approve of... but one I think is fitting."
She said softly. Her words were humble and not authoritarian - they weren't judgmental or jaded. "Me... in your lap. For each question you let me ask and answer completely - I loose an item of clothing or you get to touch wherever you'd like." She had a few layers on - her trousers, her customary sleeveless tunic, a scarf around her waist, though her feet were bare - and he knew she wore underthings. "However you'd like." She said even more softly though her voice trembled slightly. "I don't want to be afraid of you anymore... or do whatever it is that I do which makes you crazy or threatens you. I want a little peace between us. I know it will never be totally easy... but I want to find a common ground and some trust. What do you think?" She asked, shifting again in her chair. She knew it might end in more than touching, but that was a hurdle she needed to get over to truly be close to Hatot. She'd been to town, she'd talked to a few wives of the Akalak who dealt with this day in and day out. Each and every one of them had the same answer. Their men were stable and flowed between each personality smoothly, sometimes sentence by sentence. To truly love one, you had to get to know and love both. They weren't and never would be mutually exclusive. They'd also told her something very important. Hatot, because he was young, was way more split into two creatures and divided than most Akalak who were older. If he was going to grow and mature and the two souls were going to blend together more smoothly eventually, they had to have no big contentions in their lives - like a female that cared for one but not the other. Kavala herself could be a factor that could keep Hatot and Radris split and thus drive up the risk of Hatot going Cerulean. But if she helped bridge the gap and found a common ground between them where she learned to like both - then she could be a help in that struggle.

The key to both souls were so simple... yet so misunderstood. Everyone refereed to them as the light brother and dark brother, but the wives she'd talked to said this was so far from the truth it wasn't even funny. There was no evil verses good. They were just two halves to a whole with one side being reserved, intellectually minded, calculating... the other side spontaneous, boisterous, ruthless, and uninhibited. To touch one was to touch them both. To love one, she had to love them both. To do that, she had to get to know the other one - the one that she feared. And she knew it wouldn't be easy.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on June 25th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Radris dropped his chin into the palm of his hand, giving Kavala a sidelong glance as she began to talk. He noticed the uneasy shifting she made in her seat as she began to explain why it was she had waited up. There was also the subtle tone of her voice, and how it broke slightly when she spoke of the arrangement and his eyes rolled slightly when it did. He knew Hatot would disapprove, and not simply because of Radris alone. Finally he released a small sigh when she spoke of their possible future. His mind drifted over the thought of a child, over watching it grow learning the ways of an Akalak and their society. In the end, it seemed so very unlike him as he simply envisioned sparring with the child.

When Kavala had finished, he stared across the veranda at her in silence for what seemed entirely too long of a moment. Only the sounds of crickets chirping and the ocean waves crashing against the shoreline seemed to fill what would otherwise be a awkward void. Finally, Radris simply shook his head. “Keep your cloths on woman.” Radris said, his voice still slightly slurred as he sat up slightly, only to hunch forward. “You shouldn’t insult yourself in offering me such deals, and you shouldn’t insult me with such either. You really think I would want you to strip down for me out of some exchange? I’d rather you strip and get naked and allow me to touch you because you wanted me to.”

Radris let his arm fall to the table once again resuming his half lean. “As far as what problems I have, I’m surprised you haven’t figured it out yet.” Radris said before raising his arm as he began to remove his gauntlets. “I’m always angry Kavala. I’m an ass, and I never hide that fact. I’m confrontational. I only poke fun at you and everyone and go for the cheep feels at night to elicit that confrontation. I was born with a chip on my shoulder and it’s not a chip that’ll be brushed off anytime soon.”

Radris then tossed the gauntlets aside, his face forming a slight frown. His head tilted slightly as he gazed over Kavala’s reactions to his words. “As far as anything specific, it’s because you fear me.” Radris said as he then just leaned back into his seat, tipping it slightly on it’s rear legs as a slight whine echoed out from the wood under the pressure his weight was putting on it. “You’re just like Hatot in that aspect, always afraid of me and what I might do. I would have answered your questions just for showing the backbone to ask them alone.”

Radris then slowly shook his head, looking over Kavala for a moment. “You’re also weak, weaker than Hatot. You’re chained down by the bastards of your past and you lack any skill on your own to truly prevent a repeat of it happening a second time.” Radris then continued as he raised his hand, and brought his cheek to rest along the knuckles of his hand. “You’ve a grand dream and personality. One that gravitates others towards you, Kavala. It’s completely evident by the number of people you have staying with you in Sanctuary right now. Still, what happens when you come across some other entity that doesn’t agree with your vision? What happens when they decide they want you dead because of it?”

Radris shook his head once again, answering the question himself before Kavala could. “I’ll tell you what happens.” Radris answered, his tone almost disgruntled. “Those people who have gravitated to you, they become your meat shields. They get injured trying to prevent harm to you, because you can’t stop someone yourself from doing so. One of those times, no amount of stitching will help them.”

Radris then slowly reached behind his back with his free hand, pulling his Lakan free from it’s sheath. With a swift movement, his fist was brought down along the table, imbedding the tip of the Lakan into the surface of the wood. “Hatot wanted to give this to you right after it’s creation, citing that you saved both of us by your words alone convincing him to let me out more.” Radris said, releasing his grip along the Lakan before leaning back in his chair once again “I refused. You were too fearful. You let me out of the cage, but even now you have reservations about it. You let go of all that though, and it convinces me that you're stepping toward what you dream with true conviction. It's then yours.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 26th, 2010, 9:27 pm

ImageAs Kavala sat snuggled in the warmth of her cloak, she shivered at Radris' words. The healer thought her offer would have spoken to him in a language he understood - but she'd been wrong. Not wrong that he hadn't understood - he had and after hearing his words in their entirety she suspected he understood on a great deal more than he let on - but in that she'd horribly misjudged him. Kavala was terrible with people, often getting them completely wrong or misunderstanding them entirely. But what was worse about Radris was that she'd dismissed him as almost a non-entity for most of her acquaintance with Hatot. But the truth was, he was real... rich and full bodied... made up of far more than she'd given him credit for.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered, though it wasn't for offering to strip for him like a cheap tavern lightskirt. That was horrible in itself - and something she should apologize for but decidedly not to him. To herself. Instead, she was sorry for not realizing the extent of his strength and how deep and real his own emotions were. She'd thought of him as a dangerous mindless wrath deep inside Hatot - not as a man. And it shocked her a little that he had such a good grasp of her situation - and tilted that situation so she saw angles and aspects she hadn't expected to see before. And she could see too that he was wary - protective of Hatot in ways that Kavala could just barely grasp yet not truly understand being outside of the equation.

The Konti wondered, suddenly, if Hatot realized what a true treasure Radris was.

She did. In that instant, she truly did. For all that he was an angry ass most of the time - he was a real person too. One trapped within the form taking second seat to one of the most amazing men she'd met. Now, part of her wondered if Hatot was the way he was because he had such inner support and solid foundation. Kavala couldn't see Radris ever breaking. She could see his unfaltering strength as the backbone to both men. Hatot was strong too, but not the kind of strong Radris was. Radris had his eyes wide open and seemed to analyze situations squarely, accurately, in a way that almost frightened Kavala all over again.

The scary part was that he was right. It was like he'd sat back and studied her completely - assessing her strengths and weaknesses with a calculating eye. And she knew - meeting his gaze across the night darkened veranda - if she came up too short, he'd see to it that Hatot didn't suffer from it.

His words were dagger sharp but so accurately aimed she could say nothing to counter them. She didn't want too. The Konti curled her toes around the edge of her seat and faced the reality of what he said. Weak. Dangerous to her friends. Vulnerable. She shivered all over again, not because Radris was scaring her but rather because his words were true and she scared herself. "You are right. You are so incredibly right." She said softly. The problem was, she wasn't sure how to fix it. Kavala wasn't sure if she could.

Carefully, she waited for a pause and then asked him. "Radris, do you think I can change and fix that aspect of myself - that weakness - if I want too badly enough?" She wanted too. In that instant, she wanted to incredibly badly. It was almost as if she were somehow letting Hatot AND Radris down by being such a weak link. A friend should add something to a friendship - and that something should never be vulnerability. And right now, that's what she brought to the table. From the moment she'd met Hatot, she'd been trouble for him. The Flick incident was just the most recent. She knew he dropped by randomly to check on her, especially if she missed a class because it was a rare thing. kavala had started sending a message if she couldn't make it - a sick animal that needed emergency care required her aid, a kelvic in town was birthing a child. She'd done more and more of the midwifery things with Kelvics than she'd anticipated, and though it bordered on human medicine, the kelvics didn't always get the prompt attention they needed due to their status as pets by the Akalakian Healers.

Her eyes flicked back to his, curious, all but flinching at his next words. She'd seen Lakan before. Sorian had left a broken one in his room, but she didn't know exactly what they were. Kavala leaned forward to look at the blade, but didn't exactly touch it. Her fingers reached for it, ran gently over its surface wtihout actually touching it. She'd seen Hatot carrying it before. "I do not know what it is, Radris. The way you speak of it is as if its something sacred, but I feel like I cannot touch it or agree to take it until I completely understand about it." She said softly, shifting in her chair. Though he knew she was no child, the Konti looked so childlike staring at the blade with a sense of wonder in her eyes. He would realize, suddenly, she looked like that a lot. The society in Riverfall was a very new experience for Kavala. It was in fact something that contained a discovery daily. In many of those things, Hatot had lead the way. It was fitting somehow that Radris did the same.

So as she waited for his answer, the Konti rose and circled gently behind him. He knew what drove her for she'd told Hatot about the compulsion to heal. There was no choice in it for her, only a varied sense of urgency based on the nature of the wounds before her. Gently, like she was asking permission, she ran her hands up through Radris' hair from behind - as non invasively as possible and tapped her gnosis mark. She quickly found the bruises and scrapes he carried standard from one of his nocturnal fores and soothed them over - not invading his space as much as possible. Radris would know her touch was different with him than it was with Hatot where she had more of a sense of familiarity. But it wasn't as fearful - as if she were worried about setting him off. No, she seemed to realize that such outbursts were inevitable and part of him. That didn't make them less frightening, but it did make them more understandable.

She even reached forward and caught first one of his hands and then the other, soothing over any knuckles that might have been damaged from blows. "Where did you go tonight? I'd really not mind hearing about your evening." She said softly, taking her seat once more. She wasn't changing the subject at all. She was broadening it though, because he could tell she was genuinely interested in him and curious as to where he spent so much time at night. The aftermath of her touch left him feeling refreshed and not as raw as he was before. If he had a lingering headache from any solid knocks to the head, it would be gone as well.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on June 26th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Radris rose his knuckles, licking over them as the sting of broken flesh from powerful strikes still lingered, despite the inebriation that was slowly fading away. That fierce blood red glow in his eyes raised to Kavala then as she apologized, causing a roll of his eyes. “Save your apologies, Kavala. I make none myself for anything I do, so I don’t expect any in return.” Radris scoffed as he tipped his chair back again.

Radris then began to gaze around, as if searching for something else to drink. He then paused when Kavala posed her question of change, giving her a side long glance as if the question itself were absurd. His face slowly turned to meet hers again as he let out a slow grumble, mixed with a sigh. “This is sort of what pisses me off with Hatot too.” Radris said as he opened and closed his hand into a fist, his knuckles popping out loud when his hand tightened in his grip. “He should have told you this the first time you revealed your past to him, rather than just saying that you shouldn’t have had to endure it.”

Radris then leaned forward in his seat, his elbows resting along his knees to support the upper half of his weight. “He’s good and comforting and inspiring, but he’s lousy for telling people what they really need to hear sometimes, especially when it comes to delicate matters.” Radris said, almost as if it were leading to an answer Kavala might be afraid to hear. “I, on the other hand, don’t.”

Radris then paused, studying Kavala’s face for a moment, as if to search for any sign of determination behind them. “Fact of the matter is, Kavala, is it’s all on you.” Radris then said bluntly. “Anyone is capable of change. Anyone. All they need is the desire and strength of will to do so.”

Radris then slowly shook his head, looking her up and down for a moment. “You have the desire, even if you don’t realize it. Hatot’s been pointing out that strength almost since the time you’ve met us.” Radris pointed out, before shaking his head. “He just hasn’t been direct enough to give you the will. He gets too soft for that and hopes most find their own will, doesn‘t realize that some need a little push. You run away from the harm that others might do to you Kavala, I noticed that when we first met. When I grabbed your wrist. What you should have been doing, is slugging me in the face. You need to throw that “escape from reality shyke” away and get pissed off. Otherwise you’re just going to be that same victim caught and bound by the slavers for your whole petching life. I’m a bastard Kavala, and I do bastard things. I always have, likely always will. That don’t mean you have to be afraid of it, or even put up with it. Not from me, not from anyone. Ask yourself, do you want to be that victim forever, and double your desire and garner your will from that answer, which I‘m sure is no.”

Radris then leaned back in his seat once again, letting his arm fall to the surface again. His gaze fell to the lakan when she suddenly asked about it, a curiosity in her tone. “A Lakan is the most cherished item to be found carried by an Akalak. To fully grasp this offering Kavala, you have to know that part of our souls go into the forging of these weapons.” Radris began to explain, his tone blunt and to the point. “We know where it is at all times, we’re connected to it, in a small way, almost like a Kelvic is connected to someone they bond with. When it’s presented to someone else, it means that an Akalak owes that person a debt for saving their life, and they can not accept it back until they had done so in return. Hatot feels that your guidance in letting me out saved us in the long run. I say it was a simple matter of self preservation in the long run. You, even if it was subconscious, didn’t want to have to chance me waking up all berserk while you were standing next to me. You stop being afraid, though, and then you really deserve having this Lakan, in both our eyes, because then it becomes more of a desire to save both Hatot, and me.”

Radris’s gaze then followed her as she began circling around him, noticing that compulsion to heal driving her to bring her fingers running through his hair. He gave a slight grumble as she did, dropping his cheek into an open palm. He didn’t mind his injuries, point in fact, he enjoyed them at one point as it allowed him to remain out in control more often, and Hatot in. Still, he wasn’t a glutton for punishment, and considering Hatot let him out of his own accord now, it became pointless to wear wounds like their were an aid, because in the end they weren’t. He watched with slight indifference as Kavala’s hands slid lightly over the wounds of his knuckles then, watching the small cuts and breaks in his skin slowly knit together and mend. He noticed there was still apprehension in her touch, but some of that will to not be afraid anymore was there. It satisfied him in the end. He knew that she wasn’t faking it, as so many who tried to conquer their fears did. Jumping into it and putting on a fake mask of courage. His soon noticed that all the aches and pains had gone, and disappointingly, most of the inebriation that his drinking had worked hard for. In the end, only a subtle groan escaped his lips over this before his attention was directed towards Kavala’s next question. “Bah, just drinking and brawling. From the tavern to the Arena. Nothing in the long run.” Radris answered before looking into Kavala’s eyes, noticing the fierce curiosity behind them.

His frame then drooped slightly, releasing a sigh as he looked at Kavala. “Fine, I was actually communicating with like minded individuals.” Radris finally said, giving in to the Konti puppy dog eyes. “You hate violence in the long run, so I’m not sure you’d understand, but I’ll give it a shot anyhow. For some fighters, like myself and your sister I suspect, fighting is a way of expressing ourselves. Some do a painting, some write a poem or song, we use our skills. Others see it as needless violence, but to us slugging someone in the face is like saying, “Hey, a pleasure to meet you. Care to have a conversation?” before that conversation continues. It also allows use to convey and test our skill. Acting defensively or simply going all out on another is complimenting them on their ability. Like telling them that they’re good enough that we have to concentrate on defending ourselves or knowing they’re good enough that we can go all out against them.”

Radris then slowly shrugged, holding his hands out. “It ain’t the most healthy way to unwind or express ourselves, but it works for us.” Radris then finally said.

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 27th, 2010, 7:08 am

ImageKavala scowled, moving back around to face him. She remained standing rather than take her seat once more. "Hatot is good at a lot of things, far more than you give him credit for. I don't think I could be sitting here talking to you without his help. I don't think I could have ever been feeling as 'normal' as I do now without him. Radris, Hatot saved me from a lot more than you understand. He saved a lot of me from myself." Though, maybe he would understand. In many ways, what Radris was saying was finishing the job because Kavala was getting mad. Not at him... not at what he was saying... but at the logic behind it and the truth that rang in his words. And she was mad because she couldn't see it from her perspective. It was like an invisible truth that Radris released into the world deliberately - fueling that rage.

"I know."
Kavala said softly - passionately - because she did. She was strong enough too. "Akela has it too. So did all of the women of our line - stubborn and strong to a fault. I have a strong inner drive to see things through and to see things through the right way. I want things and I do whatever needs doing to have them - but not material things... It's about security, peace of mind, and stability. I want that, Radris... I want it so badly its up there with needing food and water and sleep." She said softly, meaning every word of it. They were being honest, she wasn't going to lie to him.

"But I see myself and how weak I was with them when I was captured. Something in you dies when you are forced to do things against your will that you'd never do normally. Its exactly like you say.. sometimes I feel the chains still on me. I feel their hands still on me. No amount of soap or water removes the stain. I never want to feel that way again. I certainly never want to be held down ever again. But I know it can happen in an instant. I know there's always someone stronger and faster than you are. How do you prepare? How do you make it so no one can ever shove your face into the dirt and take what they want from you? I will do what it takes. I swear it. But not to you, Radris.. and not even to Hatot. But to myself." She said softly, Vehemently. She meant it. Every word of it.

And then she reached forward and took the Lakan. She ran her hand over its surface and glanced at Radris, meeting his eyes. She did not thank him for it. That lesson had already been learned. Instead, she simply nodded, humbled by the gesture. Kavala would carry it with her. "Is it customary to carry it with you always? And are we supposed to use it or is it something we don't use at all - just honor?" She asked carefully, not wanting to make a mistake with Hatot and Radris' Lakan.

Then he gave her a real insight. The language of violence and a dance with fists. She was silent for a long long time after that, seemingly thinking things through. When he spoke, it really resonated with her and caused her to pause when thinking about Akela. She absolutely loved to talk with her fists. Her sister had always known it. Akela's moto as a child was 'hit first ask questions later'... and she was normally right. More often than naught, Akela's ways had gotten far more results than any of Kavala's softly spoken questions. Her eyes traveled back to Radris and she looked thoughtful.

"I think I might understand a little now... a little more that is than I did before." Which admittedly was next to nothing so from nothing her knowledge had doubled to just a little something. Kavala almost winced under the weight of her ignorance. It rode heavy on her heart that she didn't know such things about people. Violence was a communication? No wonder the Akalak were like they were, and no wonder Akela fit right in. And yet Radris - with all this brutish ways - seemed to have a far bigger grasp on the state of things than she did. Kavala had always prided herself on her intelligence, but faced with a man holding two souls, she realized there was a whole lot more she needed to learn and a whole lot more experiences she needed to have in order to be half again as wise as the seemingly tortured man before her.

"I have one more question for you, Radris... "
Well, It wouldn't be the last one, that much was for sure. But it was the last one she'd had all along and was holding out the hope that he'd both answer the question and his answer would be something she in fact could do for him.

"Will you help me overcome my fear and take the steps I need so that I can defend myself and my friends? I know that means getting stronger, on both the inside and the outside - which is not something thats going to be easy for me no matter how much I want it. And rst m I keep hearing the words 'meat shield' over and over in my mind and I have to tell you there's no harder truth."
She said softly, carefully... not asking him what she really wanted to ask him. The truth was, she really wanted to know what would make him happier. He would laugh outright in her face, make a rude comment, and not tell her at all. No... no laughter or mockery. He would answer that question all right, but it would be over time and through her efforts at getting to know him rather than just some. Because that was something he'd never tell anyone - never admit a weakness or a desire. Kavala was bound and determined to figure that particular mystery out... because she couldn't stomach the idea of her friends get hurt because of her inadequacies.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on June 27th, 2010, 8:18 am

Radris got a bored look on his face, staring at Kavala when she began to defend Hatot and what he had done for her thus far. He remained silent as she went over the qualities that each of the females in her family shared, the side of his face simply leaning idle along his index finger as it stretched back slightly. Finally, as she began posing the question of how one prepares for meeting such adversities of someone who is stronger and faster, he simply gave a shake of his head. “Simple. You never stop preparing. You always continue to improve. To get stronger and faster. That way, even if you meet that person who is, they won’t be that much faster or stronger than you.” Radris explained, tipping his seat forward again as the front legs fell along the floor with a light thud. “You’ve seen Hatot in the morning. What is the first thing he does when he steps out of Sanctuary?”

Radris then pointed over to the open space of land nearby, the grass in the area remarkably worn and torn, it’s color of green slightly faded when compared with the rest. “He trains. It’s something he’s never faltered in. Day after day, he does this. He makes it practically a form of religion, his practice a manner of prayer. It’s one of the few things that I respect the hell out of him for, despite the fact that I make fun of him and try to distract him during such.” Radris explained as he looked back to Kavala, putting his hands together. “He knows there are others out there better than him. He doesn’t even question it. He simply prepares for the possibility of meeting them one day. That is what you need to do, both physically and mentally.”

Radris then looked back to the Lakan, slowly standing up as he gave a slow stretch of his limbs. “We’d prefer that you keep it with you.” Radris then said, dropping his arms to his side. “Since we know where it is at all times, we can track you down if you go missing, no matter where you are, so long as you have it on you. What you do with it though, is entirely up to you. Use it, or don’t use it. Keep it on you, or not. Just don’t simply discard as if it were some sort of knick knack is all.”

Radris’ hands then fell to his waist, taking a slow deep breath and releasing it in a gruff exhale. His gaze then slipped to Kavala once more when she replied that she had one last question for him. His face remained indifferent as she asked it, his head tilting to the side to study her determination. He then took a couple of steps towards Kavala, his feet falling like heavy bricks along the wooden surface of the veranda. He remained silent for a long moment, his gaze almost burrowing holes into Kavala’s soul. “I think,” Radris said, pausing for a moment as he tilted his head to the side, “I’ll let Hatot handle the physical aspect. His method of teaching suits you better in the long run when it comes to the physical. I can, however, help you with the psychological, and would be better for it in the long run since you already have a sense of fear for me.”

Radris’ hand then snatched out, grasping Kavala by her wrist. The grip was firm, but not painful. She could tell with the sudden movements and demeanor in his body language, that he wasn’t going to just start attacking her or cause her physical harm. It was all about the fear. Before Kavala could utter a word, she could feel her form being tugged away from the veranda, as he began to lead her to open ground just near Sanctuary. It seemed he was beginning her training already. Her body was then spun around, as Radris was suddenly behind her, his arm slipping around her front in a restraining embrace as one arm became pinned in the crook of his arm, the other one grasped by his hand as it stretched out over her front. He had stepped behind her, knowing her disposition of having a male in such a position. “No better time to start than now. Don’t think about the physical aspect tonight,” Radris suddenly hissed into her ear, “that will come later on. You can be as skilled and strong as Hatot, but it won’t do you much good if your mind suddenly switches off when someone’s got you like this.”

She then suddenly felt Radris’ tongue sliding along her neck, intensifying the lesson all together. “So, what are you going to do Kav?” Radris posed, as a soft whisper, almost subliminal in it’s tone and suggestion followed his question: “Don’t deal with it like a victim!”

Radris’ free hand then began sliding along the side of Kavala’s leg, stopping to grip her rear for a short moment. He then gripped the fabric of her pants tightly before a quick jerking motion tore them open. Asking again, Radris said, “What are you going to do Kav?”

Another of Radris’ whispers followed it: “Don’t plead or beg for them to stop, because they won‘t! Tell them to stop, or else…”

Radris hand then slowly slid up along Kavala’s front, brushing along the front of her breast before fingers wrapped around the neck line of her shirt. “What are you going to do?” Radris said for a third time, pausing to see her reaction. Another whisper finally came: “These men are weak, pathetic cowards, preying on someone they think is weaker than they are. You’re not weak, you’re strong. Stronger than they are. Don’t shut them out. Defy them. Get angry. Bite, claw, spit if you have to! Let them know you won’t take it like some dead fish!”

Radris then slowly began tugging down on the front of Kavala’s shirt, stretching it’s fibers to the tearing point, as he said one final time, “So, what are you going to do, Kavala?”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 27th, 2010, 5:45 pm

ImageKavala nodded, taking some serious mental notes. She already decided what she'd start out by doing. She needed to strength train and build up her endurance. By getting up a bit early and running along the beach, that would go a long way towards helping get her body into the kind of shape she needed it to be in to become what Radris had talked about and both to prepare to carry and birth an Akalak child. Dyrid would certainly come with her, so there'd be no danger of attack until she was ready for it with the kelvic along.

The healer nodded - of course she knew... the whole of Sanctuary did. Kavala knew Hatot trained like a man obsessed - starting early and ending his day off the same way. Sometimes people joined him that worked at Sanctuary, but often he forged alone in his quest for physical and spiritual perfection. His body was sculpted and toned like all the Akalak were. But she got to witness first hand how much he acted like a weaponsmith forging a sword day in and day out working with his physique. As a woman, it was something she appreciated greatly. But when Radris wore the form, it was something that scared her. Yet another thing, she decided, she'd have to get over. Life had so many hurdles, especially here in Riverfall. It had been the same on the Grasslands as well.

"I've been meaning to talk to him about that. There's two empty rooms in the basement of Sanctuary. I'd like to turn one into a temple, but the other one we could turn into an underground training room for when the weather is really bad. Beings that I've never meditated or communed with the Gods like I should have been all along... I don't know how to go about doing either. Maybe both of you could help with that." She added, then squeaked in surprise as he grabbed her wrist. At first she thought she'd said something wrong - done something - but then she realized it was an attack.

When he suddenly rose and had her wrist, Kavala blinked in shock. Just as he suspected, she wasn't ready for it at all. Taken completely by surprise, she was halfway across the compound before she truly recognized he was taking her away. She didn't understand why, and began to struggle then, locking her heels with a "Radris... I'm sorry.. I didn't... what are you ...." She knew it was a pathetic thing to do, and later when she was alone she'd realize how if he had been truly the enemy she'd have been hauled away before even offering any resistance. But at that point he hadn't done enough to trigger her natural defenses - the ones he so despised.

When he spun her and locked himself up behind her with her arm trapped in his and a hand captured by his other she completely froze. He knew it would happen. She was as predictable as Syna's rising in this. The position was submissive and allowed her to be fully open to his abuse. Her hair hung to one side and he could tell her eyes were wide open staring vacantly forward. One minute she'd been there, the next she was gone. Checked out. The smell of fear gone. Awareness gone. Everything vanished. Before, when he was dragging her across the Courtyard, he could smell her fear like one of her kelvics could, but now there was just nothing there. It was as if he held a corpse in his arms or a life-sized living doll. The brute in him could tell how though she was beautiful, there was no turn-on left for a would-be physical attacker. No crying. No struggling. No nothing. When she'd developed the action as a defense mechanism, the rapes had stopped. So too had the bastard that took so much pleasure etching her skin. If she didn't cry out when he coated her skin with blood, there was no pleasure left in the artwork for him.

In the place she'd been, it had been an ingenious method of self preservation. Here though, it was absolutely one of the most dangerous habits she could have.

His voice wouldn't be enough. Radris could tell already that she was nowhere near as close enough to the surface for his voice to have any effect. His tongue caused a sharp inhalation, possibly because Hatot's touch effected her like that, and partially because it was so unexpected. She swam closer to the surface, but still not breaking it. Her breath came in and was pushed out again, automatically... not even the adrenaline she was feeeling changing that. Her breath flooded into her body and then was forced out almost automatically.

More. She needed more. He ripped at her pants and they slid partially off one hip, exposing a bare curve of her thigh and part of one buttock that shimmered with scales. These were her night clothes, so they offered no resistance. Still nothing, the Konti was held firmly lifeless in his arms. Her stillness reeked of deep psychological damage, though he'd known that already. Somehow, someway she'd trained herself to retreat deep inside.

She needed something else. He added more words and ran his hand up her chest, across her breasts, and grabbed at the neckline of her tunic. Deep inside herself, Kavala heard Radris... and his words were like a lifeline. She clung to them, slowly letting them penetrate her lost consciousness. She expected pain as she followed the words backwards, upwards, trying to surface despite the ingrained habit of retreat. She fought with herself. Part of her insisted she'd rise only to feel the agony of ripping and tearing of soft feminine tissue that always accompanied unwanted and unprepared for sex. Her mind argued that she didn't need to see her own blood and feel the ultimate act of submission because by now she'd be down on the ground - on her hands and knees - being forced. But she rose anyway, ignoring the arguments which were valid in her mind, following Radris' voice. She trusted in it because something in her in that instant of complete terror recognized that he wasn't what she'd thought he was... even if her mind didn't equate the attack to being his.

She gasped, like a drowning person who finally broke free to the surface after having been pulled down by a riptide. He heard it and saw her blink, but knew she was sluggish coming back to herself. It was a terrible habit, a habit that would get her killed eventually. In the time he'd had a hold of her, he could have slit her throat and that would have been the end of her life - without a fight, without even a mild protest. She moved finally, glancing down, as if shocked she was still on her feet. And she bent forward, as if pulling away from him, but there was no technique and no force in the move. Kavala began to shake then, tried to say something, but was trembling too hard to speak. She moved as if in slow motion - as though swimming through mud. Then she made a low sound, an angry sound, and lifted a bare foot and stomped it down on his booted one. Had she had boots on and he barefoot, it would have been an intelligent move. But he could tell she was just acting on instinct, especially when the stomp landed wrong. He heard a bone snap as one of her toes landed curled against his boot - but she didn't utter a sound about it. She tested his grip, how he had her arranged, and found the only free thing besides her legs was her head. Twisting around, flexibility for her not being a problem, she uttered a soft sound of rage as she spit directly in his eyes. But she couldn't break free. He'd seen to that.

Kavala hissed softly, through teeth clenched against her shaking, and whispered a single word... "Bastard.." through her teeth. It was a start, but one that was next to useless. He'd have to do it over and over again, and somehow break her of the 'retreat' habit. it was one that had taken weeks of intensive abuse to develop to provided her with some sort of comfort and shelter even in the worst of conditions. Under the best of conditions, it would take years to break - but they didn't have years. Such behavior was risky today - a risk that would put him or her other friends in the line of fire if they tried to protect her as she shut down. She didn't want that... she couldn't afford that because life was too precious to waste, especially on her behalf.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on June 27th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Radris watched as she retreated into herself, continuing to anchor words and feelings of resistance during his lesson. He grumbled when she had done so, fully expecting that it might happen, but frustrated all the same by it. When he paused, grabbing at the neckline of her shirt, he felt a response, a slight tremble. A small smile sharpened the corners of his mouth when he suddenly heard her gasp, coming back into the world. Her body shook like a leaf as sluggish movements of resistance began to rise. She leaned forward, but he kept his grip strong, pulling her back, watching every movement, everything she did so Hatot could further instruct her on what other options she had. He would come to know everything when he woke, and would set to formulating counters she could employ.

His head tilted to the side, looking down at her foot when she felt the light thud along the top of his own and heard the sound of bone suddenly snapping, silently applauding her efforts. When his gaze moved back upwards once again, he was surprised to see it meeting her own before the spit came flying, hitting him in the right eye. His head jerked back in surprise, a slow chuckle escaping his lips as he reached up with his free hand, wiping it away. “Yes, I am a bastard.” Radris said in an amused tone, blinking a couple of times before looking at her. “And now you’re confronting it.”

Radris grip over Kavala slowly loosened as he bent down slightly, hooking his other arm under her legs as he picked her up into the air. “You retreated, which is to be expected,” Radris then said, slowly turning as he began walking back towards Sanctuary, “but you clawed your way back up. You began to fight back. That’s what I call a good start.”

Radris hunched down, snagging Kavala’s blanket with hooked fingers before he stepped into Sanctuary proper. The heels of his boots clicked along the surface of the wood as he carried Kavala back to her clinic office, sparing her the pain of walking there herself with a broken toe. “Talk to Hatot about your temple and training room.” Radris said, nudging the door to her office opened before stepping inside. “I don’t pray, since most Gods who would hear a bastards prayers I don’t really care to associate with anyhow. As well, I don’t train. I just go out, get drunk, and pick fights.”

Radris then set her down along her table inside, flapping the cloak out through the air a couple of times after. “I’m sure Hatot would be intrigued by the idea, however.” Radris then said before tossing the blanket over Kavala’s shoulder.

He then turned his frame, leaning up along the table as he turned his head looking to Kavala. “So, that healing mending thingy you did work on yourself too,” Radris said before nudging his head towards Kavala’s toe, “or am I going to grab you a bottle of wine and stuff from your cabinets?”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Next