Closed (Clyde) This calls for the Ebonstryfe

A missing agent had gone missing. What will Clyde face as he is dispatched to find him.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

(Clyde) This calls for the Ebonstryfe

Postby Cataclysm on April 23rd, 2013, 3:43 am

Winter 56, Year 512 AV

A crisp slight breeze was heralding the changing of seasons in Ravok. Constantly renewing itself as it surged forth through the city streets and empty alleyways. This was one of the better spring days for it's citizens as they started to wake that day. Milling through their business and preparing for the day the temperature was just right for the day even though everything else about Ravok was anything but that day.

The Virtax is known throughout the city as the operating headquarters of the Ebonstrfye the military might of Ravok's loved Rhysol. Soldiers and the like were raised and trained throughout it's courtyard while it's main building held the majority of high ranking commanders of the Ebonstryfe. One way or another if you were on site you knew the sharp end of your weapon and at least five different ways of how to kill without it. Today was this middle aged upstart's day and he would have to hurry if he wanted to make a good impression.

Papers already on hand Braken was on official Black Sun duties as he made his way into the inner buildings of the Ebonstryfe. The line already breaking into a arrowhead Braken quietly observed the security detail of the Ebonstryfe. A handful of guards within the crowd letting them pass them as they quietly observed each face that made it's way into the inner building. Three? No four. There was one against the wall, sitting on the steps. Then there was a slight reception area for those just visiting. Two able bodies on sentry duty those faces proved that they were in fact who they say they were. Then near it was home free into the site where each person who resided in the area was at least a paladin. Braken was not a Paladin but a guest.

Nearing the doors to the inner building one of the watchers looked at him a moment longer then necessary. Then two. Then four. Braken could feel their eyes on him. It was practically on the tips of their tongue, their anticipation. He was here and they were expecting him. Though it might have been due to his appearance. Though it might be true that everyone was accepted under Rhysol's rule his followers might have something to say to an Isur. Though perhaps it was just because that that Braken had a job special to the Black Sun. A smith for their most esteemed members. At least that was what he was trying to sell. They disengaged their eyes on him as they scanned the rest of the crowd. Perhaps feigning interest for a possible trap for their esteemed smith.

What are you in for?” At the doors the isurian was questioned about his motives as his eyes looked at the man who questioned him. “I am here to see Marshall Fertenad. I have an appointment concerning Black Sun matters.” Braken's voice was many tones lower then a normal human's voice handing the man his papers. Raising an eyebrow slightly the sentry coughed slightly as he flipped through the small pack of papers. “Ahem* Yes. Well a bit more paperwork then the norm but I suppose that is right in your case. Go on ahead Agent Nurin.” Giving a slight nod Braken did not say anything else as he directly made his way to the stairwell.

That was when he saw the Virtax's house security. Gritting his teeth slightly Braken moved to the nearest exit as he then saw the four guards outside entering the inner house. Petch! They were going to box him in! Opting to take go down instead of up Braken first made a quick detour down quickly trying to find another set of stairs to help him lose his pursuers. Dashing slightly Braken went back up a small set of stairs finding himself with the help. Busy preparing the Ebonstryfe's lunch they paid no attention to the man that had suddenly appeared as he walked past the confusion of bodies and ingredients trying to prepare the meals in time. Finding himself in the far side of the main area Braken slowly made his way up the stairway before stopping halfway through. Waiting five chimes Braken scanned the atrium for any movements against him. Wherever his pursuers were they might be still busying themselves in the lower floors trying to find an Isurian that wasn't there anymore. Moved once again before finding his way to Fertenad's room. The paladin was sitting near his table as he looked questioningly at the strange man who suddenly appeared. “Your late.”

Well you know I had to shake off some hounds that were on my tail. Raising an eye Fertenad did not seem to quite understand what Braken meant or was alluding to. “Your much too paranoid. You've come at a busy time. Something big is happening soon enough. What it is though I've yet to know what.” “Tell that to those four in the front looking for me as we speak.” “A simple changing of the guard. It happens every once in awhile. A coincidence. Now tell me. What are you here for? I was told you were persistent but I did not believe that you would actually be standing there. So tell me why are you here now?” “I need to find out exactly why Ravok is so busy.”

Spring 78, 513 AV

Clyde would find himself interrupted in the morning. Hard banging on his door along with a voice of authority that had the characteristic of restrain rarely used. “Clyde Sullins of the Ebonstryfe? You have been assigned a task at the whim of one of the higher officers of the Stryfe.” Though slightly groggy Clyde would answer the door and given a letter to head to headquarters for further instruction. The day had hardly started with Leth gone and Syna barely shining over the horizon. The cold night air was still present this morning with Clyde shivering slightly in response. Part of him wondered if the messenger felt the cold but the thought was quickly dismissed as the man quietly made his way out of sight. The man's message sent and in Clyde's hands all that was left was for Clyde was to get ready for his day and then set off to the Vitrax for debriefing.
Free to moderate whenever/whatever. 0 people on the waiting list. My office Extra!
Cataclysm
Beware of tall brush

Words: 22092
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Clyde Sullins on April 26th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Clyde did not hear the door being knocked upon. After all, his room were he slept was in the back of his home, and on the far side of his magic lab. So they would need to be knocking pretty loud, for him to hear. More likely they would need to knock the door clear in, for him to hear it.

Luckily he was awoken by I'tram, who could hear the knocking echoing into the common room, and into his bedroom. So he had woken, and alerted Clyde to the sound.

Still a bit sleepy, he had gone to the front door, throwing his robes on first, so he was halfway decent, along with grabbing his staff. He answered the door as such.

Clyde took the letter, and headed back to his room once the man left, to get properly dressed. Knowing how such meetings tended to go, he chose not to wear his nice clothes, but instead his common everyday common ones, of cotton. They were cheaper to replace.

Getting dressed, and picking up his staff, he decided at the last moment to take along a pair of light hammers, which he tucked into his belt on either side, though they were hidden at first glance by his robes. But anyone looking under them, would see them easily, and even without might notice their slight bulge.

Clothed and armed, he headed out, telling I'tram he would be gone for the day likely, and was not sure when he would return.

With that, he was out the door, heading there early in the morning. Eventually he would be at the Vitrax front gates, archers bows held at the ready and in their sights, till he showed his identification.

Then he was inside, and trying to find wherever he was being asked to go. He had only been here a dozen times or so, which meant he was still unsure of a few things.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cataclysm on May 1st, 2013, 10:01 am

"Name?"

Issuing his name the man in front quickly wrote his name in before pointing him in the direction of the nearby room. Clyde only had to take a short walk through the grounds of the building before being led to an exit to meet with further instruction. Five chimes later the mage found himself facing the force of a standing agent minus one common solider.

"So your the replacement for this assignment huh?"

The commander was unarmed but still brimmed with measured confidence. His walk, his voice, even his scent carried with it regal upbringings as he scrutinized Clyde closely. The man bore down on Clyde from his height. Being taller then six feet and four inche that tended to happen quite a bit.

"I am commander Jayce Lazarin obviously hailing from the Lazarin family. I have been told you are to accompany us today to help find the agent we have been assigned. Agent Braken. Quite a challenge if you aren't familiar with our agent's work."

The way he talked of Braken and the faces of approval on the rest of the squad's faces showed approval for the wayward agent. Though if he was really as committed to his work for Rhysol why would he be missing?

"From what I've ascertained you have a gift of sorts for settling disputes rather well. That and your talent for destroying anything short of a small settlement will provide useful for sure. Leave all the investigative work to us. We are quite used to this game of catch up. In anycase welcome to the team. Any questions?"

oocSorry bud. Finals are almost done :)
Free to moderate whenever/whatever. 0 people on the waiting list. My office Extra!
Cataclysm
Beware of tall brush

Office

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 2nd, 2013, 1:10 am

Once in the Vitrax, it was simple enough to go were he was told. Luckily for him, his destination was not to far inside of the Vitrax. Though he did wonder why he was here. Did they find no need to give him a bit more info, to explain what he would be doing?

After all, how could he properly prepare, if he was not told beforehand what he was doing? He hoped they would either supply him with what he would need, or that he would not need much of anything to complete his work. But then again, he could be being asked to make something, to craft something with Glyphing. Petch, he could even be setting up some magical booby traps. Maybe some high ranking officer wanted some scrolls made, or some documents sent in a way that would not risk the information getting out.

But there were far to many options, leaving little point in wondering. He would now soon enough.

Clyde stared back at the man, at the agent, who had a few inches on him. He did not flinch, simply gazed back, occasionally blinking. He was not in a staring match, but neither would he make anyone think he was weak, or had done something wrong. Or that he had something to fear of the man.

At the end, hearing his words of his abilities of "destroying anything short of a small settlement..." Clyde let out a small grin.

"Short of one? I assure you I could destroy one, if I was suitably motivated and found it necessary. People overestimate the force needed, to cripple a structure. A city, that might take a few days. But a small settlement... I could likely take care of that. But then, I doubt that will be necessary today. Besides, it is much easier to just target the people guarding it. Then, you are left with a settlement to take over, instead of a pile of rubble."

Perhaps Clyde's words would be found to be rude, or simply odd. But then, he was a mage. It almost went with the territory, to be a bit odd and different from other non-mages. That and being generally mistrusted, and at times hated and mistreated, for being a mage.

"Just a few simple questions. Where are we looking for this man, just inside of Ravok? And what opposition are we likely to face? It would help me, to know what I could face, to better ready myself and my Magics."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Cataclysm on May 4th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Appraising eyes focused in on Clyde's answer. Parts of the captain was telling him to praise the new recruit for his enthusiasm but a stronger part of him wanted to put down any insubordination from the temporary replacement. Deciding to hedge the solid tone of Jayce did not leave any question in his stance on Clyde.

"Is that so? You'll find that you WILL do what is required of you motivated or not. Fly off the handle hotshot and you'll find yourself on the wrong side of the Ebonstryfe soon after."

Glancing back at the mage Jayce gave a sharp turn walking past Clyde before giving him a look over. The file said he was obviously a reimancer but was there anything else that the man was capable of. More importantly, since he did magic. Was there any degeneration in his ability to follow orders?

"First you will be in placed in rank and file with the rest of the group. From there I will see your worth as an Ebonstryfe."

A quiet silence followed Clyde's question as Jayce quietly mused the best way to explain the situation to Clyde. They were fine questions but there were some issues he bring to light.

"We believe Braken to be in Ravok yes. Though what we will be facing is up in the air. This is a confined matter with the Black Sun that we have to grudgingly clean up. Knowing Braken he is tracking for conspirers within the city. What is the answer for your queston? Prepare for every possible opposition that opposes Rhysol."

Giving a dismissive scoff to end their conversation Jayce ordered the group forward as they filed out back to the boats. Soon they were out on the streets combing and making their way through the crowd. Then there was an empty space as less and less people started to show up on the streets.

Wasting no time Jayce motioned for the group to center themselves before walking to the next bend. A mass of people crowded the street as they blocked the way. Pushing and shoving came from Jayce's group as they tried to fight past the group shouting their presence.

"Kid clear the way. Earth. A warning lightning crack. Anything. We might have happened across something fresh."
Cataclysm
Beware of tall brush

Office

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Clyde simply smiled back at the man, not in a rude way, but neither was it what one would describe as a happy smile.

"Sir, I never once said I would not do what was needed of me, you impinge upon my honor by saying so. And I certainly did not say I was not motivated to help. I simply was saying that no prior occasion had arisen, that gave me reason to do what I said I was capable of. I said I had not been motivated to go to that length with my magic, previously. But if the need arose, I would be capable of it, and willing. But as I also said, I doubt the need will arise today."

Clearly the man was overcompensating, or at least it was clear in Clyde's eyes. For obvious reasons, he feared the mage, and did not want to look weak before him, and before his men. So his response was not unexpected to Clyde's candor. If nothing else, it told Clyde a bit more about the man, due to the way he responded. Clearly he felt it was more important to be in control, and to exert his dominance, than to hear the truth from his men. Clyde was one to be honest, but clearly complete honesty would get him on this mans bad side.

He knew if he was in control, while he would want his men to respect him, and to follow his orders, he would still be open to the truth, and to alternatives that others might bring forth which might be better than his own. If being a Mage taught him one thing, it was that one could not master every skill, and others would always be better at you in certain things.

Clyde listened as the man answered his question. But as he did so, he seemed to get less and less informative, till at the end he was speaking, but saying words of no value or use. He would have known as much if he had said nothing. Prepare for everything that opposed Rhysol... Could he have been more vague?

Soon enough they were out on the streets, heading for whatever place they were going. Clyde made sure to keep his bearings, and to keep his eyes pealed for any threats.

As they rounded a bend, a clump of people were visible, obscuring the ground and making it hard for their group to proceed. Jayce asked Clyde to clear them out, through magic.

He almost smiled at the man simplistic views of magic, and upon his lack of understanding of the elemental forces around them.

Lightning would likely kill several people, if he started loosing it. And earth would be about as deadly, while also not being very noticeable or fear inciting. If one wanted to drive people away without killing them, fire was the way to go.

Bringing both hands out before him, palms facing upward, he began to exude res. He continued to do so until he had a ball of gaseous res a bit larger than his own head. He floated it up about five feet above all of their heads, and then ignited the outer third of the ball of res into flames.

"Clear out of the way, NOW, or your flesh will feel my flame."

Clyde spoke loudly and clearly, to all within hearing distance. The sudden flash of the flames igniting during his transmutation, and its heat it gave off, would surely make most of the people nearby look.

He would pause half of a moment, and then pushing his right hand forward in a simple gesture, he would launch the fireball at the crowd of people. He would make sure to not hit anyone, instead keeping it about a half of a foot over everyone's head. Close enough for them to feel the heat and to imagine the feeling of their skin roasting.

Then with a simple swatting gesture, the fireball would arc around once it reached the far side of the crowd, and circle back around to the side for a second pass at them from the crowds flank. If there were any stragglers left after this, he would send the ball of flame straight at them, veering off at the last moment to not hit them, with another swatting gesture of his hand.

Clyde made it all look easy to him, as he lazily sent the fireball flying around. To him it was as simple as buckling a belt, even though a decently skilled lesser user would find the task arduous and concentration consuming. But then, his skills had progressed far past being decent.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)