(Open) Roping in the Frostfawns

Just wondering what I can do with rope on a farm

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Miria on April 27th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Spring 2nd, 513 AV

Nearing the Icewall gates

Partially hidden in the snow with no reason as to why it was left there as Miria nudged the object with her foot. Shockingly enough nothing happened. No overly convoluted trap, it didn't attack her nor did it even hiss. "Now why would you be left here all by your lonesome?" Miria asked picking up the length of rope.

The day was open for the Coolwater after having worked so hard for the first part of the season. Having sold arrows the day before Miria took the day to wander around and possibly do something new. Perhaps she'll learn a trick with her archery, maybe figure out how to ride a horse with confidence or even just camp out for the day.

Sighing longingly Miria tested the rope in her hands as she tried to remember what she was doing before. Looking far past the Icewall gates Miria stood passive, lost in her thoughts. "Spring comes with the promise of new beginnings and fresh starts."

oocWent and broke up my 'project' since there were no initial takers.
Last edited by Miria on April 28th, 2013, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ever be a sheep. If you HAVE to be a sheep at least be a rainbow sheep.
Miria
Knowing me. Knowing how to love again.

Words: 236304
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 6:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Miria on April 27th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Frostfawn Hold

"Speaking of fresh starts let's start finding somewhere I can use this." Looking around the archer realized that the closest hold was the Frostfawn pavilion. “The critter center is first on the list eh? Right then.” Bobbing her head every which way obviously trying to keep herself entertained. It was such a curse to have so much initiative sometimes. Even simply relaxing must be done so that the archer receives something more then the loosening of her muscles. Approaching the treeline Miria found a length of wood to accompany her find of the day. Now all I need is a carrot! Nearing the White Elk stables the archer hid her new treasures in her bag before offering her services. “Lo and behold stranger! Today is your lucky day! I have come from my sanctum of Coolwater looking for a chance to meet the other animals of the kingdom. Too much time spent with sea leaves me with a longing for the land and it's beasties! May I help you on your rounds this fine morning?"

Needless to say the Frostfawn Miria encountered regarded her questioningly before finally serious considered the offer. “Alright if it's just to mingle with the family I can understand. There is some brushes in the barn which you can use to groom one of our more tamed mares. If you wanna feed them there is also some carrots and straw you can offer them.” A triumphant smile reached Miria's features as she marched proudly to the barn door, leaving behind the more then confused Frostfawn. “The mares! Only the mares! Don't go near the ones with their equipment!” The Coolwater was about to turn back to ask what he meant before she caught a whiff inside the barn. Reeling slightly she leaned away from the door as she tried to peek inside. Only a few more steps and she would be able to bother whatever manner of creature inside but first some preparations were in order.

Taking in a deep breath Miria plunged through the door as she toured the inside of the barn. Three horses greeted the Coolwater with a shake of their heads and an excited whinny from one. Smiling warmly Miria drew up a length of her shirt to breathe into as she tried to get used to the various smells the tiny barn had. Play time would have to come later. First she would groom and feed the horses like she promised. Maybe then they will not run her off if she were to tease the animals. Probably not. “Alright lovely horses. I'm here to make sure your taken care of.” Her technique left much to be desired but the archer was able to brush up the general areas that needed attention. Though the Coolwater dared not walk into the stall for fear of what she might step in. Tempting the horses close with the promise of a fresh carrot Miria pulled back on her makeshift fishing pole before getting to work on brushing the mare and gilding. For their patience Miria finally started feeding them the carrots through her 'fishing rod.' Along with a healthy side of hay Miria gave what she thought a generous amount to both horses before looking at the stallion in the back stall.

Were she paying more attention Miria would have noticed that the stallion did not break his stare at the Coolwater. Had she known why it was smart to stay away she would have regarded the horse properly. Instead peeking at the package the horse had between his legs Miria simply whistled at the sight obviously impressed. “And that is why they call them studs.” Though she was told not to approach any horses with their equipment still intact Miria could not resist giving some attention to the wide eyed horse. He's even put in the stall farthest from these two. “Aww I'm not going to reject you like everyone else!” the Coolwater coo'd as she found another carrot to attach to her length of rope. Edging out to offer the carrot Miria found herself leaning slightly on the stall trying to coax the stallion over for a friendly discussion. Instead the horse just watched Miria intently ignoring all desires for eating a tasty treat to which Miria redoubled her efforts to lean over the stall. Nearly falling over the archer balanced her the weight of her body on her hand as she tried to stabilize. That was when the stallion acted his eyes full of want and need rushed at Miria causing the Coolwater to lose her grip on her fishing stick. Quick as a monkey she used both hands to stabilize, giving just enough momentum to push away from the incurring wrath of the stallion.

Falling back Miria pushed herself away from the offending stall as the horse watched her hungrily from at the edge of the stall. At first glance the archer did not know why he was staring at her so intently but just from that short interaction she knew. The horse looked on and on before looking at the small fishing rod she made then back at Miria. You can keep that. Retreating from the barn Miria's disposition on horses was greatly influenced by what she saw today. If she was ever going to go near a horse again she would make damned sure that they were castrated before approaching them. Checking her bag she still had a large supply of rope to work with. Unfortunately the fishing rod she made had to be abandoned. Miria wasn't going near that horse again. His cruel, offending eyes screamed at her with the intentions of horse rape.
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on April 27th, 2013, 4:06 pm

It was her first day on the job, and Spirit was loving it. She'd been shown how to groom horses, and had been spending the last fifteen chimes on a mare with a particularly knotted tail. She was using a large comb, and was attempting to drag it through the tangled mess. With attempted as the key word. Every time she stuck the comb in it's hair, it was a challenge just to remove it again, let alone actually more it through the tail. If this Vantha was one to swear, she would have done so, several times over at least. Luckily, the horse she was working on was calm and quiet, quite content to let the young groom fight against it's unruly hair. She glared at it, in an attempt to mentally force it to untangle, to no success.

Finally, it came to her. Instead of starting in the middle, she began at the bottom or the tail, using short quick strokes to slowly untangle the hair from the end up. This task took another fifteen chimes, but was much more satisfying than before. With a slight grin, finally finished, she put down the comb with a flourish and hopped up. What a mistake... from all that crouching on the stool with her legs bent in an awkward position, her thighs had cramped up to an extreme. Grunting slightly, she limped her way out of the stall, ignoring the mare's curious gaze behind her.

She took a seat on a fence near the door of the barn and stretched her legs out. Man they hurt. Spirit sat there for a while, gazing at the snow outside, and watching the activity inside the barn as well. One curious thing that caught her eye was a woman, who went into the barn, obviously not a groom, and brushed down a few of the horses. Though warned only to touch the mares, she went straight up to the most unruly stallion in the whole stables. She watched the events occur with fascination, and laughed when she saw the conclusion of their encounter.

In fact, the Vantha laughed so hard she fell off the bench. Painfully. Though it knocked the wind out of her, it left her gasping for breath for a few seconds, before resuming her laughter again. It had been hilarious! She shook her head to clear the mirth, and taking deep breaths to halt the laughing, she heaved herself up from the ground, and leaned back on the fence. She gazed at the woman, attempting to come up with a way to greet her, still stifling giggles. Coming to a conclusion, she walked closer to the failed-groom and poked her in the shoulder.

"That. Was. HILARIOUS!" She exclaimed, and burst out laughing again. She clutched her chest, continuing through the pain of the mirth, and barely managed not to fall over again. She didn't really care what the woman thought or saw, the whole this was just so funny!

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Miria on May 1st, 2013, 9:49 am

A light show of laughter reached Miria's ears as her lips pursed together incredulously. Someone saw that horrifying affair and was laughing at her?

"Someone there? You really find this funny?"

Following the sound of laughter Miria made a face seeing that her little instance caused the exact opposite of a standing ovation. One of the Frostfawns found it entertaining enough to fall to the ground stifling her giggles as she leaded back on the fence.

"Yes, yes a real hoot. Do you have anything else to say?"

Regarding Spirit closely Miria turned to face the sudden joker as she walked up close to her. A slight touch on her shoulder followed by another round of laughter at her expense. Miria's face grew flushed with embarrassment her eyes shone a fresh new coat of orange and green regarding the Frostfawn. A low groan that tried to come off as a growl escaped Miria's lips watching the joker right before her.

"Like you have never been threatened by one of those horses! How would you like it if you were put into the same stall as that beast? Stop laughing!"

Pouting slightly Miria's eyes settled on a grassy tone watching Spirit laugh at her. Indignant at the sudden treatment Miria's hands quivered with thinly veiled anger as she went to her bag. Pulling out the same length of rope as before Miria was past trying to figure out what uses she could use the rope on a farm. Rather she was focused on resolving her vendetta against the guffawing newcomer.

"If you don't stop I'll tie you and leave in the stall with that horse. Then we'll see who gets the last laugh."

Cold, cruel blue eyes accompanied Miria's haughty grin as she snapped the ropes together. Parts threatening and parts joking the archer was not yet sure if her threat was merely a joke or if she would carry out her ultimatum. She'll have to just see Spirit's reaction and react accordingly.
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 1st, 2013, 4:46 pm

Trying to stifle the snorts that still erupted from her mouth, Spirit straightened and grinned widely. Hearing the woman's replies, it was obvious she didn't approve of the younger's reaction.

"If.... I was put... into the same stable... as that horse... heh... I'd just try to make him calm down. Why'd you even try to do that in the first place!? You're so obviously not a Frostfawn..." That was all she said before bursting into giggles again. Any Frostfawn would know not to even try and deal with that stallion if they weren't skilled enough. Even she kept her distance from him. Though she realized this could probably be viewed as insulting, she just couldn't help it.

"Uh... what's with the rope" She asked, confused, as the lady removed such an object from her bag. It was held quite threateningly, and the young groom raised her eyebrows in response, her eyes a startling blue.

"Really... would you carry that out? Lusina would kill you for annoying the stallion... let along attacking one of her grooms!" This was said with an even larger grin, obviously a joke. Lusina probably would never kill a single living soul, though would get angry. Though... Spirit wasn't quite sure where the woman was, but at least one of the other groom would come and save her, if needed. Anyways, she doubted the woman would actually carry out her threat, let alone succeed at it...

Feeling that it might as well be necessary, she called out "Wind!"

A large sled dog loped over, tongue lolling, from a little way away, where he'd been lying patiently for his friend to return. He sat down next to Spirit and licked her hand, before moving over to the lady, and repeating the action. He stayed there, looking at the woman with adorable eyes, begging for a pat. His actions caused the girl to burst out into laugther again.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Miria on May 3rd, 2013, 3:45 am

It looked like this vantha was impressionable. So Miria tried to show herself as a scary haughty woman with nothing to lose.

"Well I figure. It would take at least five chimes for whoever that person is to come out and stop me. Now if I take care of the only person who can report me..."

The Coolwater was perhaps enjoying this stunt perhaps a little too much. So much that the stray thought of how much fun and enjoyment she would have if she actually carried out such a threat lingered in Miria's mind longer then a tic.

"Hmm? What's a Wind?"

As if awaking from a daze Miria straightened herself from her threatening stance to see whoever the Frostfawn was referring to.

Miria would be lying if she said she didn't like dogs. As soon as the sled dog made it's presence Miria let out a short squeal of delight at the adorable animal.

"D'aww! It's sohow cute!!!"

Miria's mouth gapped open slightly as Wind licked her hand later turning into a wide smile. Slowly going down to the dog's level Miria gave wind a pat as she soon found herself infatuated with the hound. Eventually the Coolwater found herself playing with Wind waving her hands quickly around the dog animating the pup for a time before grabbing Wind with both hands to give him a hug. Nuzzling Wind slightly Miria matched Spirit's laughter with a small polite laugh of her own.

"What shall I call you stranger? I'm Miria Coolwater. Yes I'm obviously not a Frostfawn but I came to play around with this rope I found. Care to join me?"
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 4th, 2013, 11:22 am

The woman's reply at first had made Spirit feel slightly nervous. She sounded pretty serious. She was quickly trying to decide what to do about it, not sure how to react, but hoping Wind could... possibly change things slightly. You never knew.

The answer was just what she'd hoped for, and even more hilarious. The instant she'd seen the sled dog, the lady had immediately begun playing with the dog. What a change in tone! Trying not to laugh again, the Frostfawn raised both her eyebrows at their interaction.

"I see you like dogs" she replied simply with a small smile on her face, the only sign of the stifled mirth. Reaching over the other Vantha, Spirit patted her companion on the head, before hearing the next question.

"Nice to meet you Miria. I'm Spirit... Frostfawn obviously." She stated, letting the grin grow. So at least this wasn't going to turn into a massive fight... but then something touched her thoughts.

"I hope you weren't planning on using that rope to tie up other people" The groom asked, with a slightly worried tone. It wasn't that she disaproved of the idea, she actually would find it quite funny, as long as it wasn't her who was being attacked. Then of course... if people took things too seriously, the Icewatch would turn up. That would really ruin everything... all of this was just a sidetracked thought, considering the various uses of a small section of rope.

"But yes... I'd like to join you..." She finished, realizing she actually had to answer the last question. Well... she was up for an interesting day. Her first day of work... then off doing various things with a rope. As strange as it sounded, it had quite a good prospect.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Miria on May 4th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Miria found herself aggressively attacking the dog with renewed vigor as she looked up absently at the Frostfawn before her.

"Odd name. What an odd name."

Wondering about the name for a tic Miria slowly tried to sound out the Frostfawn's name before once again burying her face in the pooch's fur. Ahh who cares? She had a pet dog so she was already in the Coolwater's good graces. Granted that most of Frostfawns would have pets that Miria agreed with but anyways...

"Oh... I was just joking. I hope you did not take that seriously."

Protectively clutching at Wind Miria silently hoped that the Frostfawn would not separate her from her fluffy new friend.

"Why would you be up for something like that?"

A conspiring smile reached Miria's lips as Spirit said that she would join her in this endeavor. There was always room to act foolish and stupid in Miria's schedule.

"Alright so where can we find the largest group of animals with the least number of people to catch us?"

Already coming up with a few fun plots to go over Miria listened with apt anticipation at what manner of animals the Frostfawns had to provoke.
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 6th, 2013, 12:08 am

Spirit smiled and shrugged as she heard the next set of Miria's statements. Yes, her name was slightly odd, but she'd never really thought on it. She liked it, and found it sort of fit in a way. She'd decided not to respond to the first question, knowing explaining would be too complicated, and really take way too much effort and time. It was the second she focused more on, trying to brainstorm up an answer.

"Well... there's quite a few around the hold, though having few people might be a small challenge. We could always head out into the wastes and sneak up on a herd of reindeer, but that would be pretty challenging...." She mused out loud, having come up with the two best options. In the Frostfawn hold, there were quite a few animals, but most were in the company of another person. It would be hard to find easy... targets, but easier to catch them in the end, and easier to find than a bunch of elk.

Though her Frostfawn heritage, and personal feelings knew not to hurt any animals, the young groom didn't really consider it as such. Instead, she thought of it as a game, really, something which wouldn't end with someone in tears, even if it was not a human. Probably. This thought caused a small worm of doubt to creep in, but she crushed it quickly and ruthlessly, not wanting to ruin the prospective fun.

"Your choice really... though I think staying here would be easier..." She finished with a slight smile. Though she had a general idea, she wasn't sure exactly what the Coolwater had planned for them, but the Vantha was sure it would be fun. And a challenge... and she would probably learn something new along the way! That was always an added bonus. Something catching her mind, she asked:

"Will you have enough rope? You never know how much you need...."

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Miria on May 9th, 2013, 10:40 am

Miria's undertone with asking the first question was bordering on too subtle as Spirit decided to answer the archer's second question.

"The wastes huh? I don't suppose you are a skilled hunter are you?"

Giving a knowing look Miria gave a slight chuckle looking at Spirit quickly dismissing the idea. The Coolwater was no great hunter in any way and she doubted that Spirit knew much more then her.

"That sounds like what I initially had in mind. You going to be fine with this Frostfawn? Or are you willing to live a little?"

Checking the rope she found Miria shrugged seeing only eight loops of the wide rope in her bags. Giving Spirit the rope in her hand Miria retrieved the rest of the rope before setting off.

"I am not sure... but we'll see won't we?"

Looking around Miria asked Spirit where the pair of them should be heading before leading the hunt. Keeping her head down on the group Miria looked for any signs of their quarry trying to find tracks on the snow. Perhaps they would be lucky and find one stall already open and animals wandering near the area.

Hearing Spirit behind her Miria kept her nose to the snow trying to follow what looked to be a small impression of footsteps before looking up to see what left them. Her eyes turned a challenging orange as she say the quarry before her as she tried to sneak up on the target. Looking as painfully conspicuous trying to sneak Miria was within five paces before running forward two paces before jumping forward.

oocSorry I left you waiting. I had a plane trip and required two days off from the regular posting schedule. Anyways I'll let you decide what I'm jumping on
x
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next