Completed [Bronze Woods] Adventure to the sunset falls

Survival/Exploration

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[Bronze Woods] Adventure to the sunset falls

Postby Xiulachu Falliron on May 5th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Xiulachu Falliron

Xiulachu acknowledged Aorens affirmation of the start to their journey with a nod of his head, though his outside features showed nothing of the sort that he felt inside, a sense of joy that could only be equaled to that of a child being reunited with their parents. Quickly Xiulachu began to gather his bearings and began to walk towards their destination at a brisk pace.

The first few hours of their long walk, that would likely take many days, was quite interesting; many different animals scurrying around in the trees to either side of the road that they were walking on. Xiulachu even noticed that Aoren was looking intently around them as though he were looking for any sign of danger, though no danger was likely to befall both travelers so close to Syliras. Though at least one of them keeping their senses up was a good thing it allowed Xiulachu to drop his guard enough to actually take in the beauty that was the Bronze Woods; Such a beautiful place. Xiulachu had never really allowed himself to just take in the scenery without some sort of fear that a wild animal or monster might be in the shadows, lurking about, waiting for Xiulachu to move into position for it to attack.

When Xiulachu was brought back from his daydreaming by a voice he immediately recognized as Aorens he half understood what Aoren said which allowed him only half an answer. I've lived in the Bronze woods my entire life and on my own for over a year. Xiulachu said and regretted saying the instant he said it. Such an answer could only spawn even more questions that Xiulachu just wasn't comfortable sharing the answers with just yet.

Xiulachu Falliron
Player

Words: 36243
Joined roleplay: April 10th, 2013, 11:19 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on May 7th, 2013, 6:09 pm

That didn't truly answer his question but Aoren let the comment slip by unchallenged. If Xiulachu felt the need to keep his own secrets from Aoren it was only him being cautious. Such was the cautious nature of meeting strangers on the road. Aoren ran a hand through his dark hair. The chestnut brown locks swayed lightly in the breeze. He glanced at Xiulachu out of the corner of his eye.

"I've lived on my own for most of my life. With the exception of a close friend of mine. She's gone now though. North I believe though that's only a guess on my part." His voice was tinged with a great deal of sadness as he spoke of his friend. But that was all he said on the matter.

"Do you have any family, Xiulachu?" He swung his staff forward only to tap it with his foot and swing the end up over his shoulder. He took a deep breath then admired the scenery for a moment.

"I've never known my family. According to the caretakers of the home I grew up in I was left with them by a man who I can only guess was my father." He reached underneath his shirt and withdrew an azure crystal. It was perfectly smooth. Not a single flaw upon its surface in the shape of a teardrop on a silver chain. "This is all I have. That and my name." He kicked up a small pile of dead leaves that were on the road then blew slightly. The winds gathered around Aoren and billowed out gently blowing the leaves away from the both of them. He gave Xiulachu a sidelong glance then smirked.

"Syliras has been my home ever since. Growing up in the streets for a while it wasn't easy. That's where my friend came in. She helped me navigate the more difficult walks of life. She helped me get stronger, more clever, more..." He chuckled softly for a moment. "...more skilled." After a moment he turned slightly to the side still keeping pace with the shorter man.

"It must have been difficult growing up in the Bronze Wood. I won't say I understand. I don't. I've never lived in the wild for an extended period of time but I know what it's like to grow up with difficulty."
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xiulachu Falliron on May 15th, 2013, 12:13 am

Xiulachu Falliron

Xiulachu was beginning to feel as though he had found someone that he could talk to and not be judged by what he had to say, though he was still unsure about Aoren. Xiulachu felt as though Aoren knew that he had not been completely up front when he was asked about his life yet he reasoned that Aoren had no real business knowing. It seemed as though it was Aorens time to tell Xiulachu about some of his past, some things that Xiulachu could relate to. The breeze was nice this time of the day and those with light hair would most likely be annoyed after awhile due to their hair flying around every which way.

Such a feeling that Xiulachu felt after hearing that Aoren had spent the majority of his life alone, something that Xiulachu could relate to, could only have been related to that of child receiving his first toy. Though Xiulachus joy at being able to relate to Aoren was tempered when Aoren commented on a friend he had met.

A feeling of joy then a feeling of sadness that only grew worse when Aoren asked about his family, a very touchy subject for Xiulachu. My family was murdered. That’s all I will say. Xiulachu almost cried out. Such a memory as his family murdered always pierced his emotional barriers whenever he thought about them.

Xiulachu could relate to Aoren once more after hearing Aoren say he had never even known his family, though happiness was not the reaction to this knowledge. Xiulachu decided to admire the tree line along the road they were following when he noticed the display that Aoren did with the gem.

We have that in common then, though you in the city and me in these woods. Xiulachu mentioned as he pointed with both of his hands out towards the wood line. Maybe one day you’ll find your friend again, and maybe I’ll help you. Xiulachu said after seeing that Aoren looked sad after telling his story.

The woods are a really easy place to live in when you get used to it and you must follow a set of rules. Maybe I can teach you how to survive in the woods some time.

OOCsorry about such a late reply
Xiulachu Falliron
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on May 17th, 2013, 3:58 am

Aoren paused for a moment as Xiulachu revealed this intimate truth. He flinched inwardly as he hadn't meant to bring up such difficult memories. He was silent for a few minutes as they walked in respect for the memory of the other man's fallen parents. When he spoke it was softly and with obvious reverence toward their memory.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to bring up difficult things." Aoren swung his staff over his shoulders that he could lace his arms over the bar it provided. He assumed a very leisurely pose as he continued to listen to the man speak. "I try my hand at surviving in the wilderness when the opportunity presents itself. I've not had much luck with it in recent times." He chuckled.

"I'm in a little bit of a conundrum you see, I love being outside but there's still so much I don't know about living outside the city walls. So I get out as much as I can in an attempt to either teach myself or perhaps find someone who can." When Xiulachu mentioned he might be able to help Aoren in this endeavor the Drykas smiled.

"That would be very much appreciated my good Sir." He propped one end of his staff upward and let one arm slide off of it before grasping it firmly. He planted the butt of the staff in the ground and began to use it as a walking aide though it was obvious he didn't truly need the help.

"Do you visit Syliras often then? Or do you spend most of your time away from the city?"
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xiulachu Falliron on May 18th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Xiulachu Falliron

The few moments that both men spent in silence, Xiulachu quickly composed himself; weakness could not be tolerated in the wilds of Syliras and the duo still had quite a ways to go to get to their destination. Though he could never truly hide his emotion Xiulachu did a very good job at it. It’s alright, I just have a hard time talking about it. Xiulachu mentioned after hearing the apology that Aoren gave him.

Hearing the conversation change to one of a skill that Xiulachu has been practicing most of his life Xiulachu brightened a bit, Surviving in the wilderness is no easy task and takes a lot of time in learning the area you are trying to survive in. I find that the forest is one of the easiest places to survive in due to it’s lush greenery and the wild animals that can be caught. Xiulachu finished his small speech by pointing in the direction towards the tree line that borders the road they are walking on.

Though I’m not the best at surviving in the Bronze woods for instance, I can teach you some about surviving in the forest, though I doubt you could hunt the way that I do. Xiulachu said while trying to hold down a small chuckle.

Xiulachu never favored the city of Syliras due to his heightened senses and the mass of people that seem to live in squalor wherever he looked. I prefer the forest to Syliras, less people and the stench is unbearable. But I have not seen all of the city so I may be wrong in thinking the entire are a place for filth of all kinds.

Xiulachu Falliron
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 3rd, 2013, 9:54 pm

"Hunt like you do? What do you mean?" Aoren found that statement a tad bit odd. How did most people hunt? He had thought that it would be with bow and arrow or with a spear or hook for fishing. That was normal. Or at least it was what Aoren thought was normal. He was no hunter so he could not speak to how hunters captured their prey.

"Syliras is crowded. It is loud. It smells terrible and the people are usually too busy to pay much heed to anything but the task at hand." He shrugged. In Syliras lay the hope of all humanity. That was what Aoren had been told all his life. As he had progressed into adulthood Aoren had begun to believe that no single city in all of Mizahar could survive the test of time. Not with how many dangers and perils there were in the world.

"I was once told by a sailor that surviving isn't so much about knowing the terrain it's about knowing how you can fit into it." The thought somewhat baffled Aoren. How could one fit into the terrain without knowing about it?

"Do you think you could explain that to me? I haven't been able to wrap my head around that. Can you?" He gave Xiulachu a sidelong glance.
Last edited by Aoren on June 12th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xiulachu Falliron on June 7th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Xiulachu Falliron

Xiulachu realized that he gave away too big of a hint about what he really was and his fear that others would not accept him made him try to change the subject in fear that Aoren would figure out what Xiulachu really was. All hunters tend to hunt differently and the way I hunt is just another different way though I’m not sure I’d be able to teach you something you’re not able to learn. Xiulachu was never good at changing subjects as they seemed to be odd to others and also tend to tip others off to something that Xiulachu didn’t want found.

Xiulachu agreed with just about everything that Aoren said about Syliras and was about to put in that Syliras had an odor that seemed to burn every hair in his nose but was not quick enough as Aoren beat him to it. While they both reflected on the state of Syliras, Xiulachu was able to see, in the distance, what looked like animals crossing over the road. Amazing Xiulachu muttered under his breath as he witnessed magnificent looking beasts together as a family that protected each other, something that Xiulachu was not used to feeling.

Xiulachu was a Hawk Owl and belonged to the forest so the statement that the sailor said to Aoren was immediately registered by Xiulachu and understood. He probably meant that to really survive in a terrain unknown you must feel it, you must open up yourself and accept the possibility that you might die. That is the only explanation I can think of to a question like that, though I believe he was trying to get your idea of the answer to that riddle. Xiulachu had never spoken as long as he did when he gave Aoren his answer.

Xiulachu Falliron
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 12th, 2013, 2:49 pm

The dark haired man's answer to the proposed riddle gave Aoren insight into Xiulachu's inner thoughts. He realized that despite his somewhat melancholy and distant demeanor the man was intelligent enough to think of complex answers to an equally complex question. Aoren nodded and continued onward in silence. It would likely be getting dark before they reached their destination and they would need to set up camp for the night before reaching the Sunset Falls in the morning. Who knew what they might find there?

Aoren certainly had a spirit for adventure. He enjoyed finding new places but he was no fool to think that it would be a wise idea to explore a waterfall in the dead of night. The immediate area around Syliras was safe but the further you went away from the fortress city the more dangerous it became. The likelihood of them getting attacked by a pack of wolves or even a bear grew higher the further along the road they walked.

"So if you've never been to the Sunset Falls and I've never been there, how do you know that we're going in the right direction? Not that I doubt your sense of direction, I'm just curious to know how you came to find out about this place." He came to a stop and faced the man. He adjusted the pack on his shoulders and rest the top end of his quarterstaff against his neck as he stared at Xiulachu.

"My concern is that we won't be ready for whatever we may find there. I'm skilled enough to defend myself against most dangers and since you told me you live in the Bronze Wood I'm going to assume you have skills of your own. Might I suggest that we set up a camp before nightfall and pick up the journey in the morning? It would certainly be safer than wandering out in the open where any wild thing might set itself upon us. Of course we can continue on our way now. I just don't think it would be a very wise idea to travel after dark unless we have to." He shrugged one shoulder then awaited Xiulachu's answer.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on October 7th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Aoren :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Storytelling +1 XP
Planning +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Don't Stare At The Knights
Xiulachu: Acquaintance
Journeying To Sunset Falls
Sharing Family History With Xiu

Loots

Notes :
I'm sad to see it fizzled out. :( It was getting interesting...

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous