Completed Stick in the Mud {Bolivar}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Stick in the Mud {Bolivar}

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 4th, 2013, 1:37 pm

1st of Spring, 513
7th Bell

With enough oaths to make a sailor blush the blacksmith wiped her brow and took a step back, her boots squelching in the soft mud. It was too early for this nonsense. She stared pointedly at the piece of wood projecting from the mess of wet earth, the jagged tip catching the morning rays and casting a lean shadow on the ground. It was a wagon spoke, though it now resembled an unfortunate ship's bowsprit wrecked in terrible maritime storm.

Sultros Blades' only wagon was wrecked after the rains of last night. Yorick, the dumb oaf, had stupidly pushed through the deluge, returning with the wagon after a trip to the outpost. It wasn't until he was just beyond the gates of the city that the wheels were unable to continue, engulfed in the mire. He gave up when the rear wheel splintered, leaving the wreckage for the next day and leading the horse into Syliras. The wreckage was far enough from the Gates that no one bothered to help, but close enough that it would garner admonishment for leaving it.

Hadyn and her fellow smiths had been there for two bells already, removing pieces of the abandoned wagon and the items therein. Now it was just her trying to clean up the last of the mess. The spoke was still connected to the arc of the wheel, buried beneath the sludge. She'd tried prying the thick slab of wood but that proved pointless. Already her arms knew the irritation of splinters and her fingers ached with paltry attempts. She was ready to simply chop the thing into tiny pieces and leave it. It was a danger to leave it sticking out of the mud like a spike ready to impale some poor traveler.

Glancing at the rising walls of the city beyond the thin treeline, Hadyn sighed heavily. A sheen of sweat coated her skin as she removed one glove to brush damp hair from her face. She was dressed in britches and a loose shirt, though all was sullied by the muck, her feet sinking into the earth as she stood. Even her hair, braided down her back, contained flecks of mud, hardened as the sun began to rise.

"Pieces of shyke,"
she muttered to herself, casting a glaring eye at the road upon which her fellow smiths had abandoned her. It was her day off and what was she doing? Working.
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Bolivar on May 4th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Ravok was... an odd place to walk through after visiting Syliras first. The mixed blood found himself walking through the constantly guarded gates of Syliras once more as he watched the archers on the parapets.

"..."

Hesitating for a moment Bolivar eased himself to remain calm seeing the movement above him. After being shot once his last visit to Syliras the traveler did not want to repeat the same mistake twice. Magic marked a person as the target for quite a few of the citizens of Syliras.

"With that in mind I must find my place once more."

Perhaps a little too dramatic for the morning Bolivar could barely keep up his bravado after having traveled so long through the wild lands. He had met unsavory people, his feet ached something fierce and the signs of fatigue were riddled throughout his body.

"How I ever make it to and from that place is a miracle on it's own. For now I think I have done all the traveling for the better part of twenty years."

His breathing was strained. He had acquired a limp during the last third of the journey and he doubted that he would be able to get a decent room under his name after that affair with the knights not too long ago. Syliras was in way his salvation if he wanted to be free from the restrictions of Sultros.

"Yet I find myself trapped here as well."

Sauntering through the gates Bolivar lingered every two or three stalls as he rested up. It was maddening. Even inside the city he would find no rest. Peering from his makeshift seat for the moment Bolivar was nearly back at where he was before he first had fled from the city. Sultros Blades.

"You over there. Woman working with the wood. Is the man who works the forges inside? I come in the name of... Knight Dimitri."

Using the first name that came to mind Bolivar coughed in pain as he let loose another haughty breathe. The Isur told him to ignore his inhibitions and finish his business he had with Syliras before accepting their hospitality.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Got some Christmas plans. So going to be busy until around after the holidays.
Bolivar
Just go with it

Words: 299487
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2011, 2:06 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 4th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Hadyn turned at the sound of words, finding a tired looking fellow addressing her. Returning the glove to her hand the woman regarded him with a frown. No offer to assist her, no welcoming introduction. Just commanding question. Well petch.

"You'll find smiths," she affirmed guardedly. Glancing toward the city the woman licked her lips and rested on arm on the jagged wheel spoke before returning her gaze to the man. "I don't know your Knight but if you're lookin' for a forge there are plenty in the city," she indicating to Syliras with a motion of her head.

She assessed him silently, letting go of earlier ire at his initial greeting. Some folk just weren't skilled in social graces. Besides, the man didn't look in the best state. He looked the part of a traveler yet he was inquiring for a Knight. Was he a squire? Didn't have the appearance of one. But Hadyn shrugged off any suspicion, noting with a raised eyebrow his sorry state. After a moment she spoke again with concern edging her tone.

"Y'alright, mate? Look like you've seen shyke days on the road."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bolivar on May 4th, 2013, 3:02 pm

A dry exasperation escaped from Bolivar's lips. At least that he was where he thought he was. Though admittedly that was not what he wanted to know.

"I imagine so. Though I need this smith in particular."

To do what? Now that he was here Bolivar was at a lost on what to do. Threatening the man would prove useless if anything. The man did not even have anything to do with that closed incident from so long ago.

"For reasons even I do not know."

His morose tone did not seemed to address Hadyn more so then himself. It was infuriating. The way he had been brought up was so backwards in contrast with the people that filled these streets. Looking at the woman as an example Bolivar gave a enigmatic if not convoluted response.

"You know anything of those days? One foot in front of another the journey of an inept. A bastard of blood that has yet to find his calling."

Bolivar smirked hearing himself before shrugging shaking his head in disgust.

"Tell me. Whoever you might be. What advice have you for one with an impossible dream incapable of dealing with his own problems?"

A manic laugh overcame Bolivar as he seized up galvanized. A tired dangerous look in his eyes as he started forward stooping low next to Hadyn. Rubbing his cheek Bolivar leaned down further then he intended as he gave what he felt was a desperate plea for help.

"No that doesn't matter. What your doing. After your done. Can you help me find a place to rest? You are correct. If I look like shyke you can imagine how much in need I am of assistance."

Humility was a step. It was one of those virtues he had heard of from the people of Syliras. Bolivar was not given the best of chances at first but perhaps if he gave Syliras another chance it's people would not be so quick to absolve him. Lingering on for another moment Bolivar watched Haydn's reaction with heavy eyes.

"Worry not. I just need to find comfort and all will be well."

Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 4th, 2013, 3:54 pm

The blacksmith piqued an eyebrow at the man, watching him ramble on. She was ready to answer his request for advice but his laughter stopped her short. Was he touched? Glancing at the city the woman considered how she might handle the man should he lose his already questionable hold on reality. She'd likely get a few punches in to subdue him before hollering for the Knights.

Was he bowing before her? What the petch was this?

"Em..." Hadyn started, taking a step back as he continued. Rubbing the back of her neck uneasily the woman tilted her head to look at him. Her feet sunk further into the mud as she shifted her weight, a hand still on the stick in the ground.

"Head right into Syliras an' you'll find all the comfort the city'll afford. If I was you I'd start out at Soothin' Waters." She cracked a loose grin as she stared at him. "That's where I'm headed after this mess. It'll sort you out. After that you're best off at the Herald's Arms or Traveler's Row. Both'll see you to a room."

The woman regarded him carefully, not entirely sure what to make of the fellow. Wiping another bead of sweat from her cheekbone with the back of a hand Hadyn sighed. He did look like he needed a kind hand. And a drink.

"Y'got a name?"
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bolivar on May 5th, 2013, 11:17 am

"Oh don't feel embarassed. I'm just that bent out of shape. Not bowing. Never bowing."

Inhaling deeply Bolivar tried to sit up momentarily before finding the task too taxing on his body. Panting slightly Bolivar gave Hadyn the best face available for sarcasm.

"Gee thanks. I look like shyke and smell like it too apparently."

Bolivar did not quite take it as personally then he normally did. Instead he fell back on the mud below him, his breathing abnormal.

"Bolivar Dynamicgear Coglias."

Much too tired for formalities the mixed blood stuck out his tongue playfully making light of his long winded name. Wheezing slightly in his position Bolivar slowly gathered his strength to draw himself up from his position.

"Just take my word for it. I usually look more impressive when giving out my name. How about you? Pretty lasses are always a pleasure to know."

Shrugging slightly watching Hadyn work with her cart. Obviously something went amiss to which the mixed blood mostly kept to himself. Mostly. Of course he would have to comment on the odd situation being brought up in Sultros.

"Whoever's fault this is damned fool. Making the women clean up their mess. Everyone should be accountable."

Murmurring the comment in his native tongue Bolivar went back to his position of lying down peacefully next to Hadyn. Taking in the cool morning air Bolivar's eyes looked solemnly into the sky waiting, brooding. Leaving only Hadyn to fill the silence between the two.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 5th, 2013, 4:09 pm

The blacksmith couldn't help but smile. For all his idiosyncrasies the man was amusing if not endearingly so. Rubbing her jaw to remove flecks of caked dirt the woman dropped her gaze to Bolivar, nodding in salutation.

"Hadyn Skellig," she replied after a tick. "Weaponsmith at ye ol' Sultros Blades," the woman waved a hand in the general direction of the shop. The man muttered something in a foreign tongue but it bothered the brunette little. As he seemed content to enjoy the early morning weather, Hadyn set to her task.

Toeing at the mud near the base of spoke she pushed against the highest point, testing the potential breaking force. With a frown she stepped back, arms crossed as she considered the best course of action. Chopping the damn thing with an axe was probably her only choice. Looking back at Bolivar, Hadyn cocked her head.

"I have some food in my bag there," she nodded to the dusty satchel resting some fifteen feet away, leaned against a tree. "And a waterskin. You're welcome to it."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bolivar on May 9th, 2013, 7:28 am

Part of the mixed blood was curious what this Hadyn was up to. However actually asking what the problem was out of the question. As much as he liked meddling in others machinations Bolivar knew better to interrupt someone while they did their work. Opting not to fill the silence Bolivar just gave a noncommittal shrug until Hadyn offered him supplies.

"Some water would be good I suppose."

Sitting up Bolivar gave a small grunt before making his way to the backpack. Replacing the backpack with his own self Bolivar laid his back to the tree before searching through the bag. The squire had his own supplies but that did not mean he wasn't going to deny himself another's kindness.

In particular the chance to drink from a fresh waterskin. His own held only a third left but the taste was what stopped Bolivar from declining Hadyn's offer. First the fresh water would taste fine on the waterskin but give it a few days of being out in Syna's gaze made the water meld with the water. Soon the taste of whatever was inside that waterskin would taste like nasty hot leather rather then the usual fresh taste.

"So a smith by choice? I've a clan that are made of woman that do nothing but attend the smiths. They know their place rather well. Talented blacksmiths the lot of them."

Nodding his head slightly Bolivar gave a lookover at Hadyn before nodding in approval. One could tell how able a worker was by looking at their physique. Hadyn was not as well learned as some but her body showed telltale signs of a hard worker.

"How much longer till we go Hadyn Skellig?
"
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 10th, 2013, 1:30 am

Pausing in her examination of the spoke, the blacksmith rubbed sore muscles in her upper arm, watching Bolivar take her up on the offer. She was glad, for she had water and food to spare. Listening to him speak, she drew the back of one hand across the sweat that had accumulated on her forehead. This season was looking to be quite warm if today was any indication.

"Oh aye?" she replied with raised eyebrows. "A whole clan of 'em?"

Hadyn fell silent just thinking about it. The thought was intriguing. Not having to deal with the arrogance and endless teasing of her male counterparts. But something about spending all her bells int he presence of women did not appeal to the brunette. She liked the dynamics between men and was content not to mess with it. Returning her attention to Bolivar, she offered him a slight smile after his inquiry.

"Now, if it pleases you." Casting a disparaging glance at the wood stuck definitively in the mire, the blacksmith's smile disappeared. "Damn thing's intent on wallowin' in the mud," she muttered more to herself than him. With a sigh she looked at Bolivar once more, a grin now pulling the corners of her lips.

"You think you can make it into the city or am I to be carryin' you the rest of t'way?"
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bolivar on May 23rd, 2013, 3:10 pm

Raising his eyebrow up Bolivar could not help but comment on the unfinished job before her. Yet as he opened his mouth the mixed blood could only agree with her take on the situation. Perhaps when there were more able hands available it would be more prudent to take care of this mess.

"First day I come back and already I have been offered to be carried around to where I heed. The people of Syliras indeed know that the prince of all Isurians has returned."

Trying to mimic the bold expression Hadyn gave him Bolivar could not keep the thin facade up as he considered the blacksmith's offer. Granted it might have been a jest but would it be rude to take her up on her offer? If so how what would be the best way to do so?

"Strong woman are alluring as always and your no different Hadyn Skellig. Go on. Lead the way. Should I stumble will you be there to catch me I trust?"

There. That was enough of a compromise correct? Granted part of him wanted to just hop on the woman's back and ride her all the way but Bolivar had mixed feelings about Hadyn so far.

"If you are in need of my services when I recover I'll be sure to repay this kindness. Now how exactly did you plan on carrying me? I was just wondering..."
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next