Open [The Tree Retreat] Look! A Tree!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[The Tree Retreat] Look! A Tree!

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 12th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Spring 62, 513
"That should do it", thought Liyana. She put the pot in place, and wiped her brow.

She had just finished planting a few seeds in small clay pots. She comes here to the Landing often to find ingredients for philtering, and decided that she might as well contribute to the place.

She gets more plants to harvest, as do all the others. Win-win.
Liyana left the sweetblossom section and headed towards the rosemary. This plant also has culinary applications, so the supply was larger than that of other plants here.

She made sure to avoid tangled roots. She once made that rookie mistake, and still felt the disappointment at having lost her chance to get the "bitter-sweet fuchsia-sky blue" philter-flavoring ready in time for the holidays.

Having practiced on at least a dozen plants, she was confident that the amount she dug for the plant to nestle in was enough. She could already see the bright blue flower blossoms, and how her mother would smile when she sees the new batch she had in mind.

When she thought of smiles, she also remembered how joyous people looked in the bar. "Perhaps I'll go there tonight", she thought. "All this training has left me in need of release."

She had also already realized that she could use her lab to extract and concentrate effect of plants.
It was not long before she managed to design a devious concoction. A simple aphrodisiac, really, but so concentrated as to make a few drops enough for the taste buds to flare and the soul explode with excitement.

That one had the color orange and lime green. She smiled. Ooh.. the things I had made people do while intoxicated.
Her heart started racing, her mind filled with images of wide-eyed people hyped-up and shuddering with desire.

OOCFeel free to interrupt my fantasies. It'll be humorous to have you wake her up.
Last edited by Liyana Winterflame on June 3rd, 2013, 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lore: Drunkenness Is Not a State for Acrobatics

~ Don't be shy! ~
If you want to thread with me, PM me!
Liyana Winterflame
Life sucks? Philter that right out of it.

Words: 31532
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2013, 8:37 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 12th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Spirit wandered into the tree retreat for the first time in a while. She’d completely forgotten about the place, busy with other things, but had decided to visit today. Plants in general in Avanthal were pretty uncommon, so this was probably one of the few places where you could find them in large numbers. Since she wasn’t quite sure how the gardeners would react to a horse of a dog near their plants, she’d decided to leave Silver and Wind behind for today. The Frostfawn still felt guilty from this, not liking to leave the two of them alone for any long period of time. Though, in truth, she basically abandoned Wind every day to work at the stables. Most horses didn’t like the company of dogs in general, so Lusina, though loving all animals, didn’t approve of having them near her elks and horses.

At the entrance, the Vantha realized she had three possible directions to go. One led to a landing with two buildings, white the other two were labelled doors. She poked her head in the right one, and spotting a variety of pines, decided to enter. She wandered through the groves of small and little plants, just staring at them. They were all common and native to Avanthal, so not too much of an amazing sight.

After exhausting her interest in the trees, she left that area and checked the door to the left. Inside was much hotter than before, possibly warmer than any other place in the area. Apparently the room grew exotic plants and such, and inside Spirit could easily see carefully planted trees that looked relatively strange, obviously not native like the pines. The proposal of such complicated and delicate plants, however, slightly put off the inexperienced girl, who left the room after only a chime of standing in the warmth.

She now headed to the landing area, where faced with two buildings, one long and narrow, the other a square. The Frostfawn decided to enter the square one first, on a random whim. Inside was decently busy, with several people caring for plants inside, and a few more wandering around. The sight of everyone helping out and caring for the plants made the young groom sorely want to join in. It would be so much fun to care for a tree and everything… Her very own tree…. The idea was sorely tempting, and despite her shyness, caused Spirit to walk up to a more official looking gardener.

“Hi… uh… do you think I could… uh…. Help out or something?” She asked politely but slightly awkwardly. She clasped her hands behind her back as her eyes slowly turned a pinkish-purple.

The gardener turned to face her with a wide grin on his face. “Of course! We always love new volunteers!” He stated, delighted, until his expression grew more serious. “As long as you don’t hurt the plants…” he warned, sternly, wagging a threatening finger at the girl.

“Of course not!” She replied, startled by the question and tone. She hated hurting things in general, be it animal, person, or plant. Really, it didn’t make sense to her why people did such things, as ut was just pointless and mean. Luckily this response caused a grin to return to the gardener’s face.

“Excellent! Come with me then… I’ll get you started! I’m guessing you don’t have much experience with plants?” He began interrogating as they walked, leading them out of the square building and into the longer one. Spirit shook her head in response, being completely clueless on the subject of plants. Once there, he directed the young Frostfawn to one of the many trees, a tiny sapling barely 9 inches high. It was thin, but even at its small size, its hardiness was obvious.

“It’s a Talderan Pine” The gardener explained, as his new volunteer hesitantly crouched down. She delicately poked one if it’s tiny needles. Nothing bad seemed to happen, so she grinned widely.

“It’s so small! And… well, cute She exclaimed in delight, standing up to grin at the gardener. “So…. Uh…. Now what?” Spirit asked, slightly confused what to do from there.

“It’s yours! Well.. not really. You just care for it whenever you come here. Remember it’s spot… and I’ll show you what to do.” He motioned the girl over to the next stall, where a variety of tools were continently kept. “So you water it with this… and when it gets too big in the wrong place, trim is with these. Give it this as ‘food’, the group of nutrients will make the pine grow stronger and bigger. Got it?” He pointed to the watering can, scissors, and fertilizer as he spoke, indicating the needed tools. The Frostfawn nodded, hesitated, and then grabbed the watering can. Under careful watch of the gardener, she filled it, and very slowly and carefully poured a small amount of water on the soil. It was absorbed almost immediately, but barely seemed to make an effect.

“You can add more than that!” The gardener grinned and laughed as the Vantha’s face fell into a frown. “It’s not that easy to kill or harm, but still don’t overwater it. And since you doesn’t seem to be doing so badly… I’ll head back. Just call on me if you need anything!” He backed up a few steps, waved, then turned to leave the building. The young groom watched him for a few moments blankly, then shook her head and turned back to her sapling. Water… She tilted the can up and watched as a few more drops spilled out. She glared at nothing in particular, and in her annoyance at the lack of water, moved the can to far up. A huge gush of water came from the water, causing her to yelp and drag the container away from her precious plant. By a sudden turn of luck, it seemed to be enough, but in the process the Frostfawn had spilled a large quantity of the water on her clothes.

With a sigh, she replaced the can in the stall with the rest of the clues, and returned to start at the tree for a few moments longer. On a random whim to see how much of the soil actually got wet, she stuck her finger into the soil sort of near the base of the pine. It was still mostly wet at the bottom, which seemed like a good thing, so took a step back. What else did it need now? Right… the fertilizer. She grabbed a smallish chunk of the stuff and scattered it around the soil, not quite sure what to do with that either. Had she added too much? Too little? Well… time would tell. Too much food wouldn’t hurt it, right? Well… everything looked done now. She should come back tomorrow and see how much it had grown…

Walking out into the open air, Spirit shuddered slightly. Though she didn’t mind the cold, the chilly wet spots on her pants were beginning to get annoying. Where could she dry off…. Right, the exotic room! She dashed off in that direction, and once there, stepped deep inside, placing herself near one of the trees and it’s collection of storm gems. She breathed a sigh of relief and comfort, kneeling down on the floor for a more comfortable position. It would take maybe half a bell or so to try off well in this heat, which left her lots of time to…. Muse.

She thought about one of the things that had caught her mind as she had been caring for her sapling. Just how similar they were to animals! You had to feed them… water them… groom them… so maybe this wouldn’t be too hard? But there were always those specific amounts… like how much water, how much food. She knew them by heart for most animals, at least those she cared for, but plants… the Frostfawn was clueless. Though she knew only time (and the gardener) would tell if she messed up, a simple screw up could kill the tree! And she’d never killed anything intentionally before… even accidentally killing a plant seemed horrible to her. At least animals would tell you if they were hungry or thirsty, but trees… couldn’t. It made everything so much harder…

Finally, after slightly longer than her prediction, Spirit was mostly dry. She stood up and stretched, careful not to touch the exotic tree beside her. Where to now… she didn’t feel like going home yet… A vauge thought touched her mind. She remembered hearing trickling water in the square house, but had seen none. She should go find that! With a goal in mind, the Vantha strode out of the room purposely, and to her destination.

Once inside, she followed the sound of the water. It took quite a bit of weaving through the plants, but she found it. A little pool with a waterfall, hiding inside this busy building. The area seemed empty, and she clapped her hands in delight at the magnificent scene. Spirit hopped over to the edge of the water and sat on the icy rim, staring at the plants around. In all her gazing, she spotted… another person! A woman, apparently caring for the plants inside.

“Hello!” She called happily, simply adoring this new discovery. Avanthal was a treasure trove of hidden art…

OOCehe... really long into... sorry XD

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 13th, 2013, 3:20 am

~ Don't be shy! ~
Liyana Winterflame

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 13th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Liyana turned her gaze to the person in front of her who had interrupted her. Her eyes were a swirl of brilliant turquoise and light silver, marking her as a true Vantha. "Hello".

The stranger seemed pleased to be here. "Isn't this place wonderful?", asked Liyana. Perhaps the stranger hadn't been here before. Most likely if she had been Liyana would have seen her before.

"Are you searching for a specific plant? I can help with that." She has been long enough to know her way around.
"I'm searching for some specific ingredients, myself." She liked to say she dabbles with love potions, but truth is she just likes making new drugs to party with.

She looks too young for the pub, but perhaps Liyana could take her along to eat some flavored snowcones sometime.

OOCSorry if this post seems too short. Not much space for introspection once the dialogue starts.
Last edited by Liyana Winterflame on June 3rd, 2013, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ Don't be shy! ~
Liyana Winterflame

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 13th, 2013, 9:44 pm

"Hello" The person replied, causing Spirit to grin back. "Isn't this place wonderful?" They asked, which the Vantha replied to with an energetic nod. She really loved the area around, and all the plants. The tiny waterfall was beautiful, magnificently and practically sculpted, obviously by an Iceglaze. Those guys were awesome buildings, just as Frostfawns were with animals, Snowsongs music, Whiteflames food... and the list went on. All the holds had their own speciality, and almost anyone born into a hold loved that certain thing. Spirit herself was a perfect Frostfawn, adoring all creatures, especially the two she was close with.

"Are you searching for a specific plant? I can help with that.
I'm searching for some specific ingredients, myself."
The woman asked helpfully, smiling at the younger Vantha. The intended shook her head with a small smile, not really looking for anything in particular. Well, she had been looking for this fountain, but obviously had found it.

"Uh uh. Just enjoying all the plants... I did start volunteering though! They gave me a little pine for me to care for... Actually, I do have a question! Do you know how much fertilizer to give to a Talderan Pine about. this high?" She measured around nine inches with her hands, before continuing "I gave it a small chunk and scattered it around the soil... is that right? Or do I need more or less?" Hopefully this obviously more knowledgeable lady would be able to tell, since the you groom was clueless. She'd tried her best, but was slightly too shy to ask the gardener such a trivial question... even though it might really affect her tree.

Suddenly she remembered the other thing the woman had said, about looking for stuff herself."Oh! Did you want help with that? I'm not very good with plants, but I could probably spot some things" She stated helpfully, smiling at the stranger. It would give her a better chance to explore the area around here, and see and learn about new plants! That was always a bonus to things, learning new skills and information.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 14th, 2013, 3:09 am

~ Don't be shy! ~
Liyana Winterflame

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 17th, 2013, 7:54 am

Liyana turned to look at the girl. Her eyes' irises were bright blue and silvery white, both colors swirling around. What emotions is she feeling right now, I wonder?

"Two thirds that amount of fertilizer would have been adequate, but really
you could double what you put and still not harm the plant. Saplings are amazingly hungry for nourishment." Liyana smiled and tried to be non-threatening. This girl obviously knew little about botany, and Liyana did not want to seem pretentious.

"I come here often, but there are so many pots I haven't memorized all the sections yet, and all these pretty distractions make focusing on locations harder." Liyana turned to the pool and dipped her fingers inside. She made some ripples before turning to the pots again.

"The plant I am looking for has light pink petals for the blossoms and a dark green for the leaves. The petals are often tapered but not too slim, and the leaves are oddly circular. It has certain.. properties I am after." This particular species is a distinctly effective stimulant and mood lifter. It'll be fun to distribute in celebrations. It might even have other uses such as heightening senses during a hunt.

The problem is, one needs to ingest large amounts of the plant for this effect to take hold, and so Liyana was hoping she could concentrate this tiny amount and turn it into an effective philter. The plant itself was widespread, but by the time one ingests enough of it to have the effect noticeable, the body would have already digested the first half of the batch and the effect wore off. Not to mention that Avanthal is not really suitable for such a fragile plant, and widespread harvesting would be impossible.

"The plant stalk is very short, so it might be hidden by others around it." Liyana continued walked from row to row, checking every plant. She had heard a Kockha plant is grown here, but had she been misinformed? Rumors had a way of growing out of proportion.

She turned to look at the Vantha. Such an interesting specimen."I apologize; I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Liyana Winterflame, what is yours?"

"Ooh! Here it is! Thanks for helping."

"Why don't we go to my place? I bet you have never seen a philterer work before."
Liyana turned her head slightly to face the Vantha. Her eyes were wider than usual, marking her air of cheerful energy. She smiled softly and raised a brow in mock challenge as she mentioned the bet.

OOCYou are free to describe the plant's location, your facial exclamations, etc..
Basically anything related to these last two speech sentences.
Last edited by Liyana Winterflame on June 3rd, 2013, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ Don't be shy! ~
Liyana Winterflame

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 22nd, 2013, 3:40 pm

Ok... so she'd added too much this time. Next time... a little less than a clump. Though that was obviously a very inaccurate measurement, it existed more as an image in her mind rather than a word. It was easier that way. Well, at least a little over the top wasn't bad... right? More fertilizer would just make it grow taller. That was the idea, anyways... you fed animals more food, they grow bigger. You feed a plant more fertilizer... same thing. But you never knew... Though the woman said it could easily take more than that, so Spirit wasn't too worried.

Once that was done, she was ready to help the Vantha find her plant! According to the description given... it was a flower, with pink petals... and a dark leaf. Ok... and circular petals. That was all she was really looking for. It wasn't too complicated to find. All she had to do was find a pink flower, then look for the other stuff. Easy! The Frostfawn nodded happily and began wandering through the plants, searching for the little flower.

She found one flower, which was pink, but too dark, and the petals were pointy rather than round. With a small sigh, she continued on her way, still searching through the myriad of plants. Finally she found it, pointing the little plant out. "Here!" She cried happily, then realized the woman had introduced herself. "I'm Spirit... Frostfawn. Nice to meet you!" She replied politely, directing Liyana to the flower she'd found. Apparently it was the right one, as the Winterflame exclaimed something, causing the Frostfawn to smile happily. "No problem!"

Spirit took a few moments to consider the offer to head to the woman's house. She didn't want to leave Silver and Wind alone all day... and what was a philterer? "Uhhh What's that?" She asked, slightly confused. She had a general idea that they worked with plants and medicines and such, but wasn't exactly sure what they did. She racked her brain for an answer, but found none. Instead, she waited hopefully for the woman's answer.

OOCI'm so sorry it took this long! Hope it's ok...

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 22nd, 2013, 5:39 pm

~ Don't be shy! ~
Liyana Winterflame

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 25th, 2013, 7:44 pm

"A philterer makes potions.
She concentrates, dilutes, merges, extricates, mixes, and -- in special cases -- invents some effects found in the potions' ingredients."

"Consider, for example, a love potion. Yes, philterers can make that!"
Liyana started recalling her experiences with the thing.
She did not initially call it that, but the effects she had mixed had eventually proved to be suitable for arousal of sensuousness as well as athletic energy.

"The effect can be mild -- say, make the person slightly more reactive and attentive, perhaps a bit more relaxed and open -- and they can also be extreme, which would be ridiculous and counter-productive.
Imagine a love-struck victim tackling the seducer and trying to cling and snuggle!"
The former was fine, but her two mishaps with the latter had made her accurately measure every single ingredient she threw in.
Not that she objected to reducing people to a heap of desire -- it just so happened that oftentimes people were around.

"It is also often used for healing, cooking, and poison. I tried a few of these myself! Why, you should taste my triple-twirly sapphire-gold spicy-chocolate flavoring! The Tasty Flakes still hasn't agreed to sell snow cones of that flavor, but I'll get him to soon enough!" She meant it amiably, and she could already imagine her friend at the shop scrunching his nose when smelling her concoction.

Liyana planted two seeds, planted them in a pot, and then plucked a few leaves from the original plant and inserted them into a small pouch.

"Now, let's go!"
She turned around and started walking. She twisted her hair left and right, strutting as she went.

She'll be back here soon. There are always more experiments to try.. So many different effects, so little time.

--[Transition to Liyana's Arvinta: Feel free to talk about it if you want.]--

Liyana pushed the door and stepped inside. Her house could be called spartan: it was like most other arvintas.
It was sparsely decorated, with a large blue-white seashell here and a fancy crimson rug there. The wooden furniture was simple. No ornate carvings of any sort on them, although there were two tiny statues on the side, and a smaller on on top of a table.

Before Spirit was even inside, Liyana had already took off some articles of clothing -- mainly her cloak -- and ran inside to throw them on her bed.
No use having extra layers on when it is almost hot enough to go bare-chested.

"Come on in, make yourself comfortable. I live her alone so don't worry about disturbing anyone."
The Djed storm, however horrible, had her inherit this place, and for that she felt fortunate.
The rooms were starting to feel less vacant and empty as time progressed, and now that a friend was here the atmosphere no longer seemed to be lacking in liveliness.

She made way for her guest to sit by rearranging some things that were not supposed to be laying around like so -- Liyana is occasionally careless when throwing things around.

"That over there is my lab, and next to it is my bed room. The lab is fairly simple, but practical. It is full of tubes and beakers, and has plenty of essential tools."
She went over to the lab -- her old bedroom as a child -- and searched between the dozens of vials for a tasty flavoring to have her friend try. Not this, not that. Aha!

"Now, this you should taste. I trust you will like it, but just in case here is a bottle of beer to wash it down."
She held a cup of sweet berry juice -- the colorful philter already twirling inside -- in a hand and a bottle of drink in another.

ooc :
I suggest you split you post into two as well: one for before and another for after going to the house.

That way you can react to both situations in the areas.

You can ask me question and do things in the house, and I'll still respond to them even if other things have already happened.

Like, for example, if you want to ask me, when I said I live alone, where my parents are, and how I could afford the lab, and so on so forth.

Bottom line: React to everything and let me handle the timing.

~ Don't be shy! ~
Liyana Winterflame

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next