Closed Calm is the Day, Or is It?

(Mercy) Ricky see's a man with a weapon, and takes to ensuring peace will remain in Zeltiva.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Calm is the Day, Or is It?

Postby Ricky Maze on May 20th, 2013, 7:40 am

Spring 89th, 513 AV; 13th Bell

Ricky sighed as he watched the Docks, so far the people that came in from the ships were all decent folk. Not a single thing could be wrong on this day, or so Ricky felt it to be so anyway. Always he was when it came to being on patrol, always to protect and serve to better uphold the peace. Yet why? Why on this fine cool day where the sea and sun match in harmony, where the moisture of the air felt the warm kiss the rays of Syna gave off. Why did he feel like he didn't wish to work, to focus on his job when it had always been his most important thing to do? Probably because he missed Telion, and his mind couldn't wonder astray from her at any tick that passed by.

He loved her more than he could express, and the worry for their unborn child filled his heart as well. As any expecting parent would, Ricky thought deeply about the future that awaited them. He felt scared because he wasn't around to protect either of them, because no matter how many times he told himself that he now protected them even on duty, that assurance was still far from enough to convince him. Ricky wanted to be there with her every tick that passed, each exhale that left his lungs was but a wasted breath since they were away from their presence. 'Telion said she'd be fine, and Hannah's there to watch 'er for me...' Still he failed to lighten the glum that hung in his mind, his focus onto the job was hard to regain it seems.

Ricky faced toward the city now since the Docks showed no lively event, the spray of the sea now at his back as the day couldn't pass any slower for him. It looks now as if the Guards job became more of an actual job now, compared to the dedication he had devoted to before everything that happened. 'Just a couple o' more bells, then I'll be off.' He reminded himself with a small grin, his heart lightened a bit at the thought of going home. With the small amount of focus he could muster his eyes looked into the crowd of the city, as they would check any person that passed the azure gaurd without even a glance.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on May 20th, 2013, 8:35 am

With the day so bright and blinding it was almost a bother to walk the city streets. Between the strange looks of passersby and the light filtering through the sheer red slits of his helm, it annoyed him to no end how he had chosen broad daylight to check the incoming ships departing folk for any of an interesting craft. It had been a while since he had made such a round, but it had been rewarding enough.

The spiked, form fit Night Leather armor he wore at all times was the primary benefit, costing a pretty miza but worth every one of them. Due to the beastly looking design which mimicked that which could have easily been a Mizaharan monster, his style was only amplified by the oversize executioner's sword upon his back, held in place by his right hand extended over his shoulder instead of any form of sheath or holster. The weapon from hilt base to blade tip was easily as tall as he was, as if made for a giant - yet whether he could wield such a beast was not displayed in his stride. The unified design of his appearance was designed for intimidation, to instill insecurity and warning signs to keep away, and thus far it seemed to work.

With his helm closed he watches the red-tinted world through the sheer slits of his mask, glancing to those who flocked in from the docks and those who pile towards it. The hustle and bustle was farr too much for him to feel comfortable with, but he dealt with it. With a stride silent on the stone road, he came into view of the docks themselves, his eyes catching the gentle waves on the horizon, belittled in comparison to the massive ships docked; unloading cargo from a previous venture and loading it for the return trip. Maybe some day he would go with them to a new land... but not now. Not just yet.

When the crowd began to thin allowing people to gain further distance from him it was a relief, yet still the grip on his weapon tightened, as if for comfort. Paying little attention, he seemed transfixed on the horizon. The sun would soon set in that direction, but for now the bells took their time passing by... how bothersome.
Last edited by Bartholomew Mercy on May 20th, 2013, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Words: 29667
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 3:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Ricky Maze on May 20th, 2013, 9:03 am

Just as the tides themselves would shift the ocean of crowd stirred and parted a bit. Ricky found that a stranger had caught his eye, a stranger that wore the most intimidating armor a man could possibly wear. Upon his back a large unweidly sword rested, yet its handle remained grasped as though an attempt could be made. 'What the petch?! Not good! Definitely not good!' Ricky remembered the last time he encountered an armed person, that became a day he would never forget. Now it appears as though the same day has returned, but only with a completely different person instead. Ricky gulped once out of anxiety, concern aroused within as he embraced the nature of the unexpected. Whatever would come he would handle it appropriately, his heart would be his guide in this endeavor as it has always been before.

Ricky approached this figure in the armor of night, a concerned look upon his face as he did so. This man had done nothing wrong yet, but the way he looked made him a questionable character. Maybe he had a good reason to be armed and armored, but those reasons would have to be shared for the sake of peace. Ricky's thoughts temporarily went back to his family waiting at home, a much more stronger means to find courage now that they strengthened his cause. 'With fear find courage, with courage find strength.' He remembered once again as the deepest reaches of his heart called upon the font of courage once more. Ricky kept his breathing slow and easy, a relaxed mental state of mind to avoid the chances of over thinking anything. Approaching armed people had its risks, but Ricky did also have a bit of experience under his belt as well. Therefore should his worries become reality, he would be prepared to defend himself and his home.

"'Scuse me sir," He spoke calmy after he cleared his throat, "I apologize for any inconvenience this brings but I must ask ya this. For what purpose are you armed like ya've a fight to be expectin?" He showed little signs of being intimidated, his motivation had reached its full potential as he sought only a explanation. Ricky remained relaxed and postive, a gentle smile on his face to hopefully ease any tension while he expressed concern with his eyes.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on May 20th, 2013, 9:27 am

The sound of waves had eased his mind as it always had, but the sound of a single man's footsteps rose above the crowds. It aimed towards him, moving closer. No one ever advances on him with a stride, very few dared taking him head on with such a massive sword able to cleave through with momentum alone. The beastly helm turned towards this man, a human it seems, who had the guts to face him in ignorance of what he was exactly.

The man's words were calm and showed no fear, that much he could hear. Was it truth though? Or words dripped from a secretive tongue? For now he cared not, it was a fair question of a man who cared for the safety of others. Though it was not a fact he would share, his intimidation was only armor deep. "Expect the unexpected, as well as the expected." His voice was deep and raspy, and if he had an inkling of fear within him, the ominous tone would not aid in negating it.

"If I walk without the sword, I would be mugged for my armor. If I walked without the armor I would be challenged for my sword. If I walked without either, they would surely be stolen while I am away." The armor alone looked pricey, it was form fit, spiked and Night Leather after all, and styled into a beastly shape to boot. The weapon was massive, heavy, and besides for the cleaving edge it held good use as a bludgeon and even a shield, as he had it held to cover his back from sneak attacks. His logic may be acceptable, or sound a bit subjective and pointless, but either way he offered no more reason. The helm's red slits only stare at Ricky, the wickedly designed face of the helm seeming to smile menacingly at him.
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Character sheet

Postby Ricky Maze on May 21st, 2013, 3:32 am

The way the red tint of the eyes looked upon him felt nearly enough for Ricky to draw his sword, a intimidateful appearance this armor took that it became enough for Ricky to pale out of anxiety. Yet he held onto that courage he called upon with an iron grip, a waver that would only happen this once and never again. He could not falter from his path. The armored man gave his reason and even though it didn't seem like a real reason, it was enough for Ricky to understand why this man armed himself to the teeth. 'He shouldn't have to worry about gettin' attacked or havin' his things stolen, so long as he remembers to keep it put away.' A fact of truth that waited to be spelled out, whether this man knew of it or not. It fell to Ricky to make sure this job became done, so in turn he became obligated to do so.

"Zeltiva is under the safety and protection of the Wave Guard, so ya wouldn't have to worry 'bout any such person causin' ya harm. If there were such a person, ye can rely on the guard or me specifically to assist ya. As for anybody stealin' yer stuff, I'd imagine the city is respectful enough to avoid breakin' and enterin'. So long as it's all put away as it should be." He came off a bit determined but the humble nature he always wore became present as he explained; a point he made with a genuine smile to bring hopeful ease to this man. "Rest assured both ye and yer things are safe in this city, so there's no real need to arm yerself for anythin'." He assured the amored figure with certainty, a curious look now came on his face. "Might I ask yer name sir?"
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on May 21st, 2013, 8:04 am

Despite his nonchalance, Mercy had gained a bit of respect for this stranger. Courage even when there was reason to fear, and all for a positive reason, not for pride or valor. "Mercy." He paused here to look back at the ocean and horizon. When he spoke again, he did not bother looking back to the man, he was not worth making fearful, he was not one of the tainted souls of the world, at least to his eye.

"The sword is cosmetic." That may come as a shock to hear. "To ward off thieves and bandits outside the sanctuary of Zeltiva, where I live. Combat with it is impossible. Effectively, at least." There was no hint of a lie in his voice, but there was no incentive to truth either, it was just his rasped words the wave guard had to go on.
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Character sheet

Postby Ricky Maze on May 21st, 2013, 8:21 am

Ricky's paleness lessened a bit as he heard Mercy explain the truer reason behind the sword, a ruse used to ward off the dangers of the outside should they have the idea to threaten him. A clever gambit he played just to enter and exit the city as he pleased, yet its downside would be the looks and opinions the locals must give to him. Ricky began to feel a bit of respect towards this man, as he could feel there were no real signs of a threat existing at all. Mercy wore the armor and blade as a defense but remove it all he too was just a man just like any other, and knowing this Ricky felt more at ease in the presence of this Mercy.

"Aye well its respectable enough that ya would put up with the thoughts and worries the locals would have, some would even likely complain to the Guard because they'd be worried. Not to say ye should as it's yer choice, but why not stay at one of the inn's in Zeltiva? We have a couple o' fine places to rest yer head that'd be much more comfortable than the outside." He assured Mercy with a small grin, his entire posture now more relaxed. "Oh and I'm Ricky just so ya know, one of the many Wave Guards of Zeltiva." He introduced himself with a bit of pride. Ricky always felt good in knowing he protected his home as an official guard of Zeltiva.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Abstract on June 30th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Loot, Lore, and Skills!

Ricky :
Skills:
Observation - 1
Investigation - 1
Acting - 1

Lores:
Worrying about the future
Gaining courage
Mercy: Freaky armor, massive (useless) sword
Supporting the guard

Mercy :
Skills:
Rhetoric - 1
Observation - 1

Lores:
Ricky: Wave Guard

A little short... I found it kind of strange how Ricky was... comforted by Mercy. Very strange. Please PM me if you have any questions, concerns, or comments!
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)