PM to join [ The Rearing Stallion ] A Commoner's Duel ( Kaie )

An old man asks Des for help in his sons' duel against the leader of a group of thugs.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[ The Rearing Stallion ] A Commoner's Duel ( Kaie )

Postby Des on June 4th, 2013, 3:59 pm

513 Av Day 16 Morning

The Rearing Stallion was a quiet place in the morning, but not without customers eating and having a morning drink to start the day. In the left front end corner of the bar An old man with his cane rested on the wall beside him looking over to the young Kelvic. His winkled sun scorch face lined with age and wisdom, his worried pale blue eyes looking towards the young Kelvic almost telling him that he is his only hope. He fusses with the chair to get in a comfortable position. Des getting inpatient asks.

Why did you bring me here you could of just told what you needed help with back at The Travelers' Row?

The old man smiles at the boy and jesters the Barmaiden over to their table.

You kids today always rushing around if you run by everything you will see and be nothing

The barmaiden approaches the table she was probably the most out of place barmaiden they have ever seen. The old man looks to her with a smile and asks.

I'll have a spot of breakfast and mug of dark beer how about you child?

I'm fine can we get on with the matter at hand

Looking back to Des in a tired manner.

A growing boy needs to eat, especially since you'll be standing in for my sons.

Looks back to the barmaiden with kindness.

he'll have some breakfast as well my dear, by the way what is your name dear

Des looks at the man in an inpatient manner.

Are you toying with me and what am i standing in for your sons for?

The old man tone changed for a soft kind friendly tone to a tone one would to if they were scolding a child.

You'll be standing in for my sons against a group of thugs who have been taking are crops, are you satisfied? Now i will explain it more in detail over breakfast.

Des backed down from his barrage of questions. It was a sensitive topic for the old man and Des felt ashamed for his actions towards the man. looking down at the table picking at the marks in the table waiting for the food and the old mans request.
Des
Player

Words: 13849
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2013, 4:18 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kaie on June 5th, 2013, 3:16 am

Boring. The stench of foul ale and poor quality meals wrecked havoc on her senses. One'd think she'd be immune to it now. Oh, how wrong they'd be. She seemed to be moving like a wind up toy. Always making the same motions at a fixed time she was used to. A sigh. Another shift from one foot to the other. How typical her days were starting to become. The same thing. The same people. Everyday was a curse of its own. Its simplicity. She couldn't count on one hand how many days she wished she could smash a full mug over her own head. If not hers, the guy who was sitting in front of her the past three hours with ale all down his front. Just for some form of entertainment. Cruel, maybe, but she had actually reached that point in her life. The kind where one's existence becomes so habitual they can't help but beg the gods for chaos. Was it awful she was practically staring at the door hopelessly, waiting for Krysus to send her agent of chaos?

"Myri, stop me from smashing my head through this wooden counter top. Please." She thought bitterly, restraining the urge to at least put her head down and wrap her arms around it to blot out the dim light. She was running on empty. Completely and utterly exhausted. Kaie was sick of the city, which is why she had chosen to live outside of it. Entirely. Usually, she found residence in the woods now. The Bronze Woods most likely. She had contacts in that area and had become familiar with it. Unfortunately, her new domain was also filled with wildlife. Some kind of dog was losing its mind the night prior. The Myrian woman couldn't even remember a specific moment she had her eyes closed for more than several bells. All that kept her aware was the unmistakable scent of her place of employment. Smells that horrified her nose to the point her brain appeared to have sent panic responses throughout her body. Waking her up in a crude fashion. One that would have a serious crash effect later.

Mentally, she was just starting to doze off when the barmaid at hand stormed to her counter. Kaie groaned innerly, unwilling to put on her usual show and happy face for the sake of her job.

"Table three doesn't need another beer." She said, running a hand down her face and over her spent eyes. The woman was pale skinned with the lightest blonde hair to match it. All in all, she was rather mediocre. One of those faces you'd lose quickly within the hour. Kaie herself would buy any a drink if they managed to remember her name by the end of the night. Hell, not even she remembered the poor woman's title. Awful sense of humor too. She took her low paying job too seriously.

"No, actually! I'll have you know that your drunken friends had left three hours prior. You'd know that if you had been paying attention. Now. That man over there would like a dark beer. Bring it over there yourself if you don't mind. Do you some good."

Even when she spoke in those polite commoner words, her tone made you want to raise a hand to her. Bored, brown eyes followed the barmaid's pointing finger to a pair seated close together, talking. Without another word, the pale woman strutted back to the kitchen before Kaie could reply to her. Instead, she mocked her words as she turned to the mugs, groaning inwardly. After filling the order, literally, Kaie carried the mug to the table and placed it before the man.

"You'll be standing in for my sons against a group of thugs who have been taking are crops, are you satisfied? Now i will explain it more in detail over breakfast."

"Oh, really? You're going to take on thugs. Alone. Good luck with that one. Let me know how it works out."[color=Gold] She said in a blatant tone of mockery, laughing sarcastically without much thought. She really had no filter. That was beside the facts of course. This guy was going to take on thugs all by himself over a few misplaced stalks of grass? Idiots. They'd have to fight outside the city if they hoped the knights wouldn't lop their heads off right then and there. Now that seemed like a better show.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Des on June 5th, 2013, 3:45 am

Des can't believe the audacity of the barmaid. Who was she to make fun of him. Looking up to the barmaid tying not to laugh in her face.

Oh cause the life of a barmaid is beyond the needs of such lowly matters, i think a table over their needs a refill
Des
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaie on June 5th, 2013, 4:16 am

"Oh cause the life of a barmaid is beyond the needs of such lowly matters, i think a table over their needs a refill."

She cocked her head to the side, watching him smirk in an attempt to hold back a laugh. So he thought he was clever? A twisted sort of grin edged up the side of her lips, malice coating her expression. Her eyes were ablaze but her demeanor was calm, cool, and collected. She hadn't seem to flinch let alone appear even mildly insulted by his prod at her. Kaie looked him over unimpressed, fighting a laugh of her own as she spoke her reply.

"Bartender actually. But you know, I think your friend here is right. I bet you could use a drink, yes?"

There was venom hidden deep within her words, an intensity about her that couldn't be matched by anyone in the room at that time. She was a force to be reckoned with, and he'd be the first to learn of the Myrian wrath. The brunette looked down at the table where her fingers were locked around the handle of the mug still. Staring down at the table laughing quietly to herself for a moment. To an outsider, it appeared as if she was still in shock at his statement. They'd be wrong. The Myrian nodded at him as if she agreed with all he said. Shouldn't she just return to the bar to serve where she belonged? Slowly she lifted the mug and feigned a retreat. That's when she promptly tipped the mug down over his clothes as she moved, watching the full serving of ale saturate the cloth. A long, thick stain of dark ale trailing from his crotch to his chest. Oops.

With a false smile, she bounced the mug upside down in the air, letting the final stream run through his hair. Fingers unclasped around the handle, causing the mug to drop bluntly into the floor. A sharp thud being heard on upon its impact. Kaie didn't waste a minute though. Turning with a growl, her boot smashed mercilessly into the back leg of his chair. The stability gone as a pillar of wood shattered under her force, the entire piece of furniture would drop with Des seated upon it. A satisfying display of public humiliation.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Des on June 5th, 2013, 8:27 pm

The old man begins to laugh, at the sight of the drench mercenary.

That what you get for messing with women.

Des did not understand what the old man ment. His hair soaked with ale covers his tinted red face. He asked the old man in a embarrassed tone.

Can we just go and get this over with?

But what about breakfast and don't you want to hear about the job?

Sitting stiffly straight with his arms close to his body. He wanted to leave but the old man needs his help and Des needs the mizas. The smell of ale sicken him and the bartender is not worth going to the tank for or breaking his code. He slightly nods down staring at the ground and lets the old man tell him about his sons and the group of thugs.

The old man begins to explain how the situation started. The thugs every new season would go steal our crops while we slept, however my sons waited for the and chased them out. They injured one of the thugs while they were chasing them out. The next day their leader came up to my sons and challenge them to a duel, my sons are brave but not very bright. They accepted the duel on one condition that the thugs would never bother us ever. I tried to ask the knights to intervene but they said since my sons accepted the request theirs nothing they can do. The old man looks towards Des his head down ale dripping on the table.

Please save my sons their the only thing that matter not gold or my farm i just want to see my sons live!

Des would be lying if he said the old mans words did not move him. He envys the old mans sons, they have someone who really cares about them. He can't let a group of evil people destroy such a bond.

Why me their a plenty of mercenarys in the city, why do you want me to save your sons?

The old man smiled at Des.
Don't play games your very transparent i don't even know why you play the tough guy role, everyone knows your a good kid. how many people have you helped for free

A barmaid places their food on the table and lets out a small laugh as she walks away. Des laughs to himself and looks up at the old man and say.

l'll save your sons as long as the thugs are not a group of female bartenders
Des
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaie on June 5th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Watching him continue his business seated on the floor, Kaie couldn't help but shake her head. Confusion. She was dumbfounded by this kid. All tough and in her face just before she drops him. Even then he doesn't bother getting back to his feet or brushing at the beer ruining his clothes. A couple of other patrons scattered about the room were still chucking to themselves at the display of aggression. Even one of the knights found amusement, raising his mug at her with a bright smile. It's a good thing this kid wasn't as pugnacious as she was. Had he come up swinging, all hell would break lose. Her rationality was a dam against a thunderous river of violent waters. Gods save the first who tried to blow it up with dynamite.

Naturally, she couldn't help but overhear the conversation considering her close proximity. Thugs vs farm boys. It sounded like a cruel set up to her. Considering the word "thugs" is plural, this lone kid was going to get his ass handed to him. That's all he was really. A kid. Tall with a little weight on him wasn't going to save anyone in a battle. Good intentions like that get one killed. Brutally. Maybe if she listened close enough she'd hear the location revealed. What better way to balance out a boring evening with a hilarious, one sided fight? Maybe she'd take some of the drunken locals along with her so they'd be able to make some bets. At least she'd get some extra cash out of his pain. Awful in the eyes of a pacifist she was sure. Was he really stupid enough to take a job like that?

"l'll save your sons as long as the thugs are not a group of female bartenders."

Apparently he was. As much as she'd enjoy getting her own hands dirty, she'd let the kid have his fun. Getting the shyke kicked out of him left and right all over the fields.

"Damn straight." She said as she ghosted to another table, doing the pale barmaid a favor by picking up some empty mugs. Another round of laughter erupted from her usual crowd, clinking mugs together with bloodshot eyes.

OOC:Des, I hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism here. Personally, I think it always helps and I go looking for it myself. Hopefully you feel the same. Generally, your posts are painfully short. Twenty nine sentences. Very dry. I'm not saying you need to write a book every time you post, but you need to give your threading partners something to work with. More importantly, you have to at least attempt to captivate your reader. Most of my replies are internal thoughts and distant connections to those thoughts, all as a result of having near nothing to have Kaie react to. I always find it helpful to lengthen posts by thinking about the following:

What is the environment like and how does it feel to the character?

How is present? How do these other characters appear or behave? How does the character react to their presence/think about them?

How do the things happening around the character influence them? Is it positive or negative? Why?

Those are just naming a few very basic guidelines to think about. For references, I'd suggest reading other people's posts as well. Get a feel for acceptable length and quality. You look like you have your own style of writing already which is a great start. Now you just need to enrich your character and his environment. Show the reader who he is and how he's changing; why he does what he does. Who is Des? I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, I'm enjoying this thread. I just want to give you a foundation for when you want to move on to other threading partners pickier than I am. Thanks, Des! :)

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Des on June 5th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Des wolfed down his food in a matter of seconds. The old man watched in astonishment as Des picks his teeth with the knife... Getting back to the point the old man gives him the location Winthrop Alley time evening. Des found the meeting place and time odd for a duel but no matter. Des stood up and rushed out the door to go and wash the stink of ale off and prepare for his duel.

The old man waited for a while then a man sitting on another table walked over and sat down. They both grined and laughed as the old man tore off the fake skin covering his face. The once old man revealed his real face a clean shaven man with dark curly locks of hair. The other was a bit younger and had straight blond hair. He look and the dark haired man and said.

Perfection my savvy brother, he has grown since we last saw him

Yes to bad his looks won't save him my dashing brother, soon we will have are vengeance and we will continue the operation he destroyed

The brothers continue to laugh and plot Des' demise.
Des
Player

Character sheet