Ghosts and Nuit Details

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Khasar on June 12th, 2013, 8:54 am

I'm trying to decide on if I should make a ghost or a nuit. They both sound extremely facinating. But what I'm stuck on is the creating details and limitations.

Like for ghosts, can they use weapons? How do they use them? Would it be like picking up an object and swinging it? Or is the weapon - like clothes - bound to the ghost in ghostly form. Like a spirit blade.
If I was to make one, it'd be cool to have a character who's earned and lived a huge life before death. A major back story. New to ghost life, but has accomplished much in their previous state. Am I limited in whom i can make? Like, "thou shall not make a fallen king," or no one important. Must I be a dead child or farmer? I'd like them to be a faded reminance of the great power that they once were - if I chose this kind of character.

For Nuits, it describes them as being a little "sluggish." So what kind of - class? - would a Nuit be? A magic person? Or could I do an assassin style Nuit? Does the sluggishness come about even on a fresh corpse? Or does it happen over time as the body breaks down?

I'd like to make a character that fits seamlessly into this universe. So knowing a little more on what I've got to play with would be awesome.
Khasar
Player

Words: 5282
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2013, 8:42 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Tsaba on June 12th, 2013, 9:06 am

So far as I can tell, nuits do tend to be wizards, probably because a) most of them get their start in Sahova and b) magic is something that doesn't require a strong, agile body, and where their long lives are an advantage in terms of sheer experience. I play a Nuit who is a scribe; Nuit can do anything anyone else can do, they're just poor choices for physical jobs. (Or anything that's likely to decay them, like ocean travel.) If you're playing a Nuit outside Sahova, be aware that your two most likely reactions when meeting people are "Oh my god, are you sick?! Wait, Nuit? What's that?" and "AAAAH NUIT! Please don't eat me!!" (although they tend to be expressed more subtly in my experience). Also bodies aren't always easy to come by if you want to avoid legal complications.

I don't know much about ghosts, but the problem I see with making one with a powerful history is that your experience points are limited. If you make a warrior-king and only have 10 starting EXP to spare for fighting skill, you may have to be a bit creative on his background to explain that. If you're asking about playing the ghost of somebody important to Mizahar history... I don't know anything about that, you might need to consult a Storyteller.
Thanks to Abstract for the lovely boxcode!
Tsaba
Player

Words: 200581
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 10:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Elaine Spade on June 12th, 2013, 11:01 am

Hey as a ghost user I try to help you out with ghosts skills.

Ghosts are weak at the start. You can train only your 3 ghostly skills. Materialization, Soulmist Projection and Possession. If you want NONE ghostly skills you MUST possess somebody. Even it's philishopy, singing or observation. ANY NON-GHOST skills earned from possession. Ghosts can use weapons by using their soulmist projection. At novice... well you can't do much. At competent you can do more but still you are really limited.

I'm not sure about your concept. "Earned and lived a huge life before death. " Don't misunderstand me but I don't get if he had what oyu said why would he refuse the reincarnation and stay as a ghost? But maybe I'm wrong correct me! :) Also I'm not sure about the king but you can be a noble maybe. I'm really not sure about that honestly

I hope I could help! Ask me if you have any more questions about ghost!
Elaine Spade
Player

Words: 166350
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Character sheet

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Fubuki Kouri on June 12th, 2013, 11:06 am

Hello hello! If you want to see about ghostly skills, specifically on how they use physical weapons just take a look at my CS. ;)

And of course you can weaponize your Materialization. But to actually cause physical harm with your Materialization, you must have be at least Expert in it. Poke in the eyes is one of the most effective use of it, blink to them and poke! Insta-blindness (if it hits :P ). If you're Master, just grab hold of them and let your deadly chilling touch kills your foes.

From what I know (and experienced myself), to learn and use magic you indeed must possess someone, but other skills like social skills (Observation, Intimidation, etc) you don't have to be possessing to gain XP in it.

Then again, my answer is far from perfect. If I did any mistakes, so sorry! >.<

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Khasar on June 12th, 2013, 5:37 pm

So when you die in this game, you have two options - to reincarnate or turn into a ghost? If you do either one, you keep the skills from before? So I'd be better off making a warrior, then dieing :P

The idea for explaining the small amount of skill points would be so: upon death, I imagine you'd of course keep your past knowledge, but knowledge doesn't determine your skill. So the character would almost have to relearn how to do what he already knows. Like mind to body kind of thing. So if he had been a powerful warrior at some point, and being new to the ghost life, wielding a sword with a spectral arm would be quite a new experience. I imagine his skill would go into sort of "getting use to holding opjects again." Like Revin in SWTOR. Or maybe loss of memory. They said that ghosts try to mimic their past life as best they can, or usually focused on a specfic task. That task sort of being the "only thing on their mind." Like a pissed off spirit wouldn't care or probably remember how to cook food.

And also, how to most Nuits get their bodies? By grave robbing? Or by killing a person? Quick stab in the heart from under the armpit?

Thank you for your help btw :)
Khasar
Player

Character sheet

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Mirage on June 14th, 2013, 12:45 am

Hello I am Mirage, DS of Sahova, and the Undead is kinda my thing ;)

I think the others covered the skills part pretty well, so I will jump straight to the good stuff. First off if you are wanting to create a character with a Bad ass past you will most likely have to post a ticket in the Help Desk asking permission. You also will need to gain a very in depth knowledge of the lore so that you can be sure you are not creating something that does not, or cannot, exist in Mizahar. Now beyond that, if you would like your character to have been a completely epic warrior before his death then go for it! In my experience most ghosts suffer from some form of amnesia where they tend to forget chunks of their life not directly related to their reason for staying on as a Ghost. This means that your character may not even realize he was epic in life, just that he has to stick around on this world for a very particular reason. If you WANT a cool and epic past life you will have to play the part of rediscovering it in thread, and gain the skill points in game. For ghosts and Nuits you cannot gain any XP for RPing your past life, or when you were living for ghosts. Honestly my suggestion to you would be to create a character who does not have a past right now, and only knows a small bit about why he is still around. That way you can play through the game and uncover bits of your past through RP and modded threads so as to avoid any further complications to getting started.

If you start off with a very complicated character concept you will find a long delay to your starting to RP while you get approval and figure out the details. Otherwise if you start off simpler you can start playing as soon as your CS is up. Think about it :)

Now then Nuits, my specialty, are really fascinating creatures. You asked this before about their sluggishness, well let me explain a bit. It is not that nuits are slow moving, it is that they are slow to react. This is because their is a dis-junction between the signals that come from the brain to the muscles. You see Nuits are not the bodies they inhabit, a nuit is quite literally the ichor that they use to transfer bodies. Ichor is both the physical and mental djed of the nuit, their mind and soul, and the ichor invades the dead body and creates "connections" between the now dead nerves and the brain. So the ichor is like a conduit of sorts. A signal to move is sent from the brain, passes through the ichor to the correct nerve, and then to the muscle. This creates a lag of a second or two. Perhaps a bit less, but still it is enough to make anything physical difficult for nuits. That is why nuits and combat do not mix. When they see a sword swing and send a signal to their hand to block it, that signal does not reach the hand for half a second later, during which time they would already be beheaded. Now the rate of decay and state of the body has an effect as well, slowing the speed of reaction further and creating a constant need to find a newer and fresher body. But no matter what, or how fresh the body is, a nuit will always have at least a half second delay between sending a signal and reacting to a stimulus. Usually more.

Now then nuit body transfer. First off the body has to have a brain, and 2nd the body has to be no more than a few days old, 2-3 to be exact, unless they are well preserved and embalmed to prevent rigamortis. The transfer is done by literally vomiting the ichor from the nuits mouth into the mouth of the new vessel, transferring the nuits djed from one body to the next. This process takes some time, and afterwards the nuit is weakened and unable to move at all for several hours to more than a day. After that the nuit must get used to the new body and its quirks, which means the entire process from start to finish takes about 5 days. Because of this nuits often plan days, weeks, seasons in advance while picking out a body and preparing a place to preform the ritual. IF they are interrupted the nuit can easily be killed, so they often try to do this in as secure a place as possible.

There is much much more to tell about nuits, but for now I will leave it there. If you have any questions feel free to PM me :). Good luck!

Question your Reality,
Mirage
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Khasar on June 14th, 2013, 5:22 am

Sweet! Ty for your help :)
Khasar
Player

Character sheet

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Rayage on June 14th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Hey there,

As a nuit player I thought I'd chime in as well.

First if you want some more information and golden tid-bits on the race, by the races creator, please view this Vblog by Tarot.

Adding on to what was said and correcting some misconceptions:

Im not sure what 'physical' or 'mental' djed is. If you want some information on what djed really is, please read the article on djed. I've always speculated that the reason for the 'sluggishness' of the nuit was because the body they are inhabiting is not their own and that the soul isnt bound so tightly the body as the original possessor of it. Like when the nuit invades another body the synchronization of mind and body -though the use of the soul, not this physical and mental djed stuff- is a bit off. Though even that might be wrong.

The 'sluggishness' of the nuit is described by Tarot as a 'lag' between the brain sending commands and the command traveling to actually move the arm. (Around 7 min if you wanna hear that part) If you watch the video you will see that Tarot describes this quite well: Normal human- the time to give and do commands is 1/10 of a second. For a nuit- the time is several/10ths of a second. Not whole seconds.

The transfer ritual is described in the nuit lore. Afterwards the nuit is weaker, yes, but the body is usable in minutes, not hours and days. Though it does take some time for the nuit to get used to the body.

After several hours, the soul is finally expelled with the last of the Nuit's ichor, and flies into the new body, which will become functional in a matter of minutes. The undead will emerge highly weakened from this ritual, and it usually takes them a couple weeks to recover completely and synchronize with the new body.

However, there is no getting around the sluggishness even with a fresh body. It is part of the nuit condition. (That is not to say that one couldnt RP trying to create with magic a better 'perfect' body. But such advancements would have to be RPed out and would take great skill to create or even consider doing with some amount of success.)

I would also prefer that you ask any remaining questions on the Nuit here so we all can see and try to answer them.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Avind Coolwater on June 15th, 2013, 3:40 am

Hey, kinda new here and I had some questions so I'll be hijacking this thread for now! Thus I'd appreciate if you could give me all of your money and valuable items, thanks!

Soulmist
1 - Can it be replenished faster by a ghost alone if he does things like Meditation/Some sort of sleep or dormant state?
2 - Is it governed by some general rules when it comes to emotions and the way it reacts or is it up to the players imagination and skills?
3 - Does Soulmist change, increase/decrease, depending on the Ghost's age and power? A more powerful ghost would have more soulmist floating around while a lesser one might have almost none?
4 - In case of limbs or part of the body that the ghost could not "create" back, can soulmist act as a sort of fill in? One leg would be fully fleshed out while the other would be a mass of soulmist for example.

Ghosts
1 - Is it possible for a ghost to remember so few of their past that they would not remember their own appearance? Name? Social Insurance number?
2 - Can a ghost take any appearance it wishes or is it restricted to "emotionally linked" ones?
3 - If a ghost can alter its appearance, can it do so at will or does it take a period of adaptation/rest?
4 - Can a ghost appearance be incomplete? So that some part of its body might not be fully shaped or missing altogether?

Spiritism
1 - What happens if a Ghost was able to practice spiritism in life? That one is really just out of curiosity. Can a ghost get possessed by... other ghosts? XD Ghostception like?
2 - Is it entirely impossible for ghosts to hide themselves from spiritualist? Same for their personal history?

Starter Pack
1 - I imagine that I already know the answer for this one but can a Ghost cash in most of its starter pack since a lot of items are not useful to ghost? The same way they can cash in their house.

Others
1 - What would be THE magic center of the world? I had spotted Lhavit or whatever it is called, as fairly important but I am not sure the structural hierarchy would work for what I had in mind.
2 - Do all magic inevitably lead to madness and death or can a smart wizard avoid the issues linked to overgiving?
3 - What's the point of life?
4 - ???????
5 - Profit!
6 - Am I annoying yet?

Thanks!
Avind Coolwater
Player

Words: 14218
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ghosts and Nuit Details

Postby Fubuki Kouri on June 15th, 2013, 5:13 am

Hello Tralakar! Welcome to Mizahar. Kouri, your friendly neighborhood ghost girl will try to answer your question as best as I can. :D

Soulmist:
1. Yes! :D Resting and not activating any of your powers heals you over time.
2. Up to the player's imagination and skills.
3. Yep. ;) The more powerful you are at your Racial skills (Soulmist Projection, Materialization, and Possession) the less your power will cost and the more prominent your aura will be.
4. The whole ghost's 'body' is just a representation of its Soulmist, but yes. You can make your legs with one complete leg and one 'cloudy' leg.

Ghosts:
1. Yep! ;)
2. Any appearance you want, but remember... you have to explain in your concept on why your ghost takes on that particular appearance.
3. The latter. You need to concentrate and adapt to your new form, you can't just transform out of the blue.
4. Yes. :)

Spiritism:
1. Nope. No ghostception, sorry. :(
2. Depends on the power gap between the spiritist and the ghost. If you're a powerful ghost, playing around with a novice spiritist is no problem. :lol:

Starter Pack:
1. Nope. :( Just your house. For the rest of your items? Just keep the eating knife for your initial weapon, the rest? Just scrap it. :lol:

Others
1. THE magic center of Mizahar is Sahova! City of the Nuits.
2. It's the latter. :) Be careful with magic, yes? :lol:
3. 42
4. !!!!!!
5. Capitalism! Ho!
6. Yes! *Kills you so you become a ghost* MWA HA HA!

You're very welcome! ;)

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)