[The Bronze Woods] Across Time And Space (Septimus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Razkar on June 15th, 2013, 12:59 am

11th Day of Summer
The Bronze Woods
15th Bell

The hunter was glad for the riot of life that had possessed the woods, but he cursed it, too. The bare trunks and dirt of winter would have provided neither cover nor game for him; now the ground was thick, choked, alive and positively writhing with vegetation of all kinds. He could barely even see the dirt. Vines wound their way up trees, countless trillions of leaves obscured the sun... and even his own hesitant movements, crouched and in the shadows of ancient trees, were hidden from view.

But that worked both ways. The hunter had cut his teeth in the jungles of the far west, a place where the weak and slow were devoured by the cunning and strong without so much as a qualm. You were hunter or hunted or endlessly running, and that was all to it. The woods here were far different - he'd never seen so many trees completely devoid of poisons - but the barest hum of... life, of the Green Goddess, Caiyha... it made him remember home.

Hers and his.

Razkar sniffed the air and the scent teased his nose again. Boar, he'd bet his wrinkled ball sack on it. Not clean enough for a deer, not dry enough for a rabbit... yes, a familiar stench of dried mud, foul body odor and rotting food still clinging to the tusks. He crouched down and dark eyes scanned the ground...

Then stopped on the familiar blunt, two-toed imprints. Deep, too... heavy. A proud male or a female with young, the Myrian wondered and his fingertips brushed the track. He hoped it was the former. No point killing the next generation off before you got hungry again.

He rose and straightened briefly, scowling into the endless, impenetrable vegetation. Shades of Falyndar, most definitely. But the canopy was not nearly as tall and thick, dozens, hundreds of gleaming swords shafting through the leaves and branches to pierce the ground with sunlight. He stretched sore shoulders and narrowed his eyes. East... it was heading east.

The young male grimaced briefly, rubbing a face in need of a shave (which, for a Myrian, meant he hadn't taken a blade to it for over a month). That would be problematic. He was north of Syliras, using the Bronze Watchtower that rose above all as his directional anchor on his hunt. But further east, he boar would go on and on and vanish into the vast expanse of the deep woods, where Razkar would not go. Too easy to get lost, for one, and for another, even a master swordsman could only do so much against an enraged wolf pack (which they would be, should he invade their territory).

Other things, too, he thought morosely as he made his plans, taking a swig of water, more than fur and claw in the deep woods...

Razkar cursed softy and shrugged. He would do his best. Stay low, try to keep downwind and follow this boar to whatever water source or mud hole it was sticking to. When he got close enough, the shortbow he held ready would come into play, quiver of arrows over his back.

Along with not much else, either. The Myrian wore but sandals and loincloth along with his ever-present weapons harness, preferring the freedom of movement and liberation from the barbarian delusion of "modesty". Too petching hot to pay lip service to that, anyway...

Something stirred beyond the treeline and he ducked, notching an arrow. Something... bigger than he was expecting, just in the clearing. He was fast learning that the Bronze Woods were teeming with such places, expanses of felled trees or grass that were untouched by the vegetation. Animals frequented them, especially deer...

Razkar licked his lips. Always a chance. Why not?

Moving swift and careful across the ground, staying away from brittle twigs and dry leaves, Razkar flitted towards the treeline, hoping to spy something proud and tasty down the length of his arrow.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Septimus on June 18th, 2013, 3:44 am

[[Apologies for the wait! I've been feeling a bit under the weather as of late.]]

Septimus had been in the Bronze Woods once and she had never thought she would end up here again on purpose. Yet, here she was. It was another training day for her as she was working her butt off for not only her own sake, but Syliras' as well. She was one person, she knew, but she also felt that if she worked to achieve the impossible that she could contribute. After all, it took one explosion to begin a chain reaction.

That's why she had came here. She had been warned of the dangers of the Bronze Woods but figured she could handle her own. It would only be a half hour or so and she seriously didn't plan on delving into them any deeper than need be. Just enough to the point where she could hear herself think and breathe some fresh air in the process. Plus, her transportation was herself which equaled a muscly brute easily capable of bringing down an enemy and even escaping in the process.

Septimus was breathing easy as she weaved her way around thickets and bushes. Just to the point of a clearing ahead which she had been to once and that was to graze. She had shifted to her equine self, equipment tied to her body with the rope she possessed. It was tied lightly so as to not chafe her in any way. With these knots and twists held a dummy with no head, a gleaming broadsword sheathed, a shield, a package of clothing, and appropriate shoes. A part of the rope was hanging down so she could grab it with her mouth and undo everything.

Her ears were flicking back and forth, focusing on every little sound and picking out the regular forest noises to the ones she knew good and well she had never recognized. With these unusual sounds, she could usually rule out what they were by their sound, pattern, and even more. Her highly sensitive ears could pick up many things a human could not. This is how she found the sound of footsteps that were careful in their placement. Breathing that was controlled. However, it sparked an instinctive fire inside of her that told her to run as she was being hunted.

Her ears pinned back and teeth bared, her body entering defensive mode. Her teeth were bared and her nostrils were flared. Her muscles were flexing and her chest was beginning to swell. With that, a deep rumbling beginning in her chest erupted into an aggressive neigh. Her large body mass began to move forward, before the sound. Sapphire eyes turned fiery as she came up on her opponent.

Her heavy hooves crashed into the dirt ready to lunge, but soon pulled back, realizing it was a person with a bow, arrow knocked. Her eyes were wide and when she realized whom it was, she pulled back harder. There were no rules here and she wasn't exactly sure he knew she was a Kelvic. A wrong move and Razkar would send that arrow flying right into her flank.

A heavy hoof clashed down upon the loose portion of rope and all of her items clattered to the ground, metal clashing with metal. Her broadsword fell out of it's sheath and into the dirt. A silent bow was given to the Myrian, hoping to Priskil and any other God that cared that he would not send that damned arrow through the air.
"Talk"
Septimus
Better • Faster • Stronger

Words: 230446
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2012, 12:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Trash Medal (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on June 18th, 2013, 9:50 pm

"Ruros' balls-!"

The curse exploded from Razkar's lips as a massive black-and-white monster did the same from the treeline, leaping high and thundering onto the ground before him. He drew back the notched arrow and drew a shaky bead on the creature, aiming for it's-

-then it drew back, and Razkar frowned despite his surprise. It was a mighty warhorse, easily taller than him, broad and powerfully-built. It cantered away from him quickly, though, in a way that was not merely training. A satchel fell off its back and with one cracking hoof the items were spilled before him.

Razkar flicked a glance down. Armor, clothing... a sword... long, broad, like a knight would use... and somehow familiar...

A snuffle that could almost have been language, and when Razkar looked back into those large eyes, he saw an intelligence at work that was not merely equine. But Myrians did not trust easily, no matter the strange circumstances or apparent forbearance of their prey... and while he lowered the bow and released some tension from the string... it stayed leveled at the horse's side...

"You can..." he began in Common, reasoning in some mad way that if the horse did understand anything, it would be the language of it's native land "... understand? You speak?" Then a new thought flashed into his mind. "Are you shifter? Kel-Vick?"
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on June 20th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Embarrassment. Perhaps that was the first word that came to Septimus' mind as she began to process what had just happened. What the petch is going on with me!?! She had cowered! She never cowered! That just wasn't her and it definitely was never something that she had ever planned on. Damn horse instincts. She was still trying to get both conflicting sides to work in harmony.

A heavy sigh escaped her nostrils as he continued to speak. The tension on his bow had decreased but was still pointed as her side. This should be interesting. Her weight shifted to one side as she stomped a hoof with a slight nod from her head. Ah, petch it. She had already looked stupid enough and would not dare prolong it. She was wasting daylight.

Without any further waiting, Septimus shifted and resumed her human form all within a show of swirling lights. Shifting was something that required a bit of energy and thus, Septimus would have to have quite a large meal sometime after this. Used to Syliras' laws regarding nudity, she opened her pack and put on her clothing without a regard to Razkar.

She pulled on her shoes then sighed again and smiled at Razkar. "Long time no see, eh? I'm surprised you didn't recognize my weapons." With that, she gathered everything that had clattered to the ground and latched the sheath at her side only to then slide her broadsword into it. She shoved everything else, including her shield into a pile and left it as she'd deal with it later.

"Just thought you should know, might wanna check your footing next time when you're hunting. Whatever it was would've bolted." A friendly smirk crept onto her face as she adjusted the belted sheath at her side. A part was protruding and poking her in the hip.
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on June 22nd, 2013, 12:30 am

The horse didn't bolt. It didn't whinny. It just seemed to be... stuying him. Thinking. Deciding. The Myrian started to lower his bow, bit by bit, growing more convinced by the moment that it was a Kelvic.

And then it happened.

It always took him by surprised; he supposed he would never get used to it. One moment there was a warhorse before him, long and tall and proud, and then every inch of flesh and fur shimmered, danced, shrunk, turned on its end-

-and a tall, naked woman with ivory skin and hair of spun gold was there instead.

"Long time no see, eh? I'm surprised you didn't recognize my weapons."

Razkar did not think to avert his eyes for the first few moments. Nudity was not quite the taboo in Falyndar that it seemed to be among Myrians - understandable, since even one flimsy layer of clothing in that steaming tangle of vegetation was almost unbearable - but some part of him dragged his eyes away once it was clear she was totally naked. Waist down, too.

Then she spoke... and he frowned up at the sky, jerking his head back down as she strapped her weapons back on-

-including a shield. A familiar shield...

"... Septimus?" He ventured, and got a short nod in reply. The Myrian's jaw dropped open in stark surprise, accompanied by a stunned snort. "We spar in Sasaran! In Riverfall! You are... in Syliras?" Well, obviously, idiot! "What bring you north from Sea of Grass?"

"Just thought you should know, might wanna check your footing next time when you're hunting. Whatever it was would've bolted."

Razkar's bemused smile twisted into one partway amused and chided. Rarely was a hunter given tips by his prey, after all. He sheathed the bow and arrow, arms crossed over his bare, tattooed chest.

"I would say that smart word Kelvic still ended up looking down my bow... but she wanted to. Not animal, after all..." He glanced up and down at her, noting the weapons and clothes, nostalgia creeping into his smile. "What you doing here? With knights? You look like knight..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on June 22nd, 2013, 2:53 am

He said her name and Septimus chuckled. A quaint nod came from her and a friendly and warm smile appeared on her face to accompany it. Despite the fact that he had practically brought her to her knees, she still considered him an ally. The fact that he had remembered their spar made her chuckle once more. Afterall, how could one forget it?

The question pertaining to her location made her eyebrows draw together. She was trying to recall if she had revealed she was a Squire the last time they had met. After staring at the ground and thinking for a few seconds, she had finally come to the conclusion that she had not. "I think the question is, what brought me down to Riverfall. Syliras is my home." Another small chuckle escaped her lips.

Coming to the previous incident, Septimus' sapphire, gem-like eyes brightened for an instant with a small smirk. "Please, I could've darted. Much like your prey did." A small laugh was left unsuppressed as it poured into the air, slightly husky yet still maintaining a trace of its feminine source.

When it came to the Knights and Syliras in general, Septimus knew she would give her life for both. So when Razkar brought up her involvement with them, she partially choked on the air she was breathing with eyes wide. "Not a Knight yet, no. A Squire, rather. Knight in training you could say. Why, I could've swore I thought you knew. I've been with the Knighthood way before our spar at the Sasaran, even. Before I ever even arrived in Riverfall."

With his speech of her appearance, she smiled and wiped her brow. "And that's good, then. That's the look I'm going for. Besides what bring you yourself up here?" A small laugh came then that's when she began to think of the Knights some more. She needed to be trained and prepared when she went for her 'promotion'. She also wanted to learn a new ranged weapon. Afterall, she couldn't dare hunt something or someone with a sword.

"Maybe you can teach me how to use a short bow, sometime. Can't hunt a creature or a person with a sword very well, can you?" She grabbed the rope from the ground then tossed it over a tree limb. She was running a bit low on mizas and didn't need to waste any on a rope that's life could be prolonged with simple steps.

"But before that, I suppose I've been overdue in getting myself beat in a spar." She winked at him then chuckled "But before that, I'm probably gonna go buy me some wooden training weapons because I sure as the Void am not letting you near me with a real blade without another person around." It was her own way of challenging him to a spar but making it clear that it wouldn't evolve into a death match fueled by pride and anger in a jokingly manner.
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on June 22nd, 2013, 5:22 pm

"And that's good, then. That's the look I'm going for. Besides what bring you yourself up here?"

Razkar shrugged with a smile, arms faintly gesturing to the wide world around them, a picture of the itinerant wanderer. His facade was good and most of it was genuine; much as he distrusted and scorned the Sylirian Knights, he had nothing but respect for the beautiful female talking to him. She was a challenging fighter and, apparently, had a noble heart.

But he was what he was, and certain details needed to be... omitted.

"I wander. Riverfall was one place, then moved on with Svefra." He told his tale without mentioning why he had to leave Riverfall, not merely choosing to. "Sailed on Suvan Sea, and ship came to Syliras. So... have been here. Shining City is... different."

He scratched thoughtfully under his chin, exaggerated expression f concentration on his face until he shrugged again.

"Not good as Taloba, but you make good start, yes?"

"Maybe you can teach me how to use a short bow, sometime. Can't hunt a creature or a person with a sword very well, can you?"

The Myrian watched her toss her solid rope over the limb and cocked his head to one side, seeing a little serendipity in her words and her actions. His dark eyes flickered around the ground, seeing plenty of branches and fallen limbs scattered around...

"Can help with that today." He said, smiling as she turned around, surprised. "You have rope. Tie heavy branch or thing to bottom of rope, let it swing... and aim for thing. Would use shield, but would blunt arrow. Wood better." He shrugged, patting the curved compound bow over his shoulder like an old friend. "You choice. I offer."

"But before that, I suppose I've been overdue in getting myself beat in a spar. "But before that, I'm probably gonna go buy me some wooden training weapons because I sure as the Void am not letting you near me with a real blade without another person around."

Razkar rolled his eyes and groaned and for a moment channeled every poor male in the multiverse who'd ever made a mistake and was damned to have it relived by the woman involved. He remembered that ferocious spar and how fast it had devolved into a true battle, ax and gladius hammering against sword and shield harder and harder until the venerable Mizra Aqdas stepped in.

"Female make mistake, and male is supposed to forget and forgive," he said with a half-serious glare at her, "But male make mistake, and not even gods stop female from reminding over and over and over..."

The Myrian sighed and cocked an eyebrow. Oh, yes, it was a mistake and a lapse... but it was a damned good spar, too...

"And if want rematch, I can offer... but not have wood weapons." A few chimes thought were all it took, and then the Myrian snapped his fingers. "But, have solution! We train with bow today, and then leave. But I get wooden weapon from city, and we meet back here, tomorrow."

Razkar spread his arms wide and smiled like he'd just answered one of the Great Questions.

"Sound like good plan?"

OOCRealistically speaking, Raz wouldn't be hunting with a brace of training weapons on him, and he hasn't purchased them yet. So, we'll train with the bow on this day, and then we'll come back to the clearing tomorrow. I'll include a short section where he buys them.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on June 23rd, 2013, 10:43 pm

Female make mistake and man is supposed to forget and forgive. Septimus smiled, it slowly growing to a wider and wider grin with every word. Male make mistake, and not even gods stop female from reminding over and over and over... Septimus' bright and warm laugh escaped from her mouth and slightly filled the air. "I've forgiven, but shyke, how could one forget? That was a good spar not worth forgetting." She chuckled again.

Septimus' eyes brightened slightly as he said they could work on it today. The sooner the better and his proposition was something Septimus severely needed. And his idea of a target was genius. Septimus would've bought a dummy, where as Razkar was being useful. "You certainly would save me a pain in the ass. And I would say I thought of that but I'd be lying."

Finding an appropriate piece of timber that was commensurate of Razkar's description was not quite an easy task. However, she came through in the end and within a few minutes, the piece was suspended firmly by her rope; the occasional breeze would send it swaying. Being her size definitely had it's advantages.

When she turned around, he was thinking and as he continued to speak, one could tell he was thinking hard. However, he opened his arms and stated a solution. Septimus nodded "Sure! Sound's perfect!" Of course, she was oblivious to the fact that he didn't carry any equipment. Especially when hunting. After all, who in their right mind would? More weight to carry and more of a risk to scare off, right?

"So about this shooting thing, some people make it look easy while others make it look hard. Is it really all that bad?"
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on June 24th, 2013, 12:59 am

"So about this shooting thing, some people make it look easy while others make it look hard. Is it really all that bad?"

Razkar was still working on the target when she spoke, and just shrugged, an honest a gesture as he could make. Then she heard his low, throaty chuckle burble out of his throat and he turned to her.

"People who make it look easy? Most time people who have been shooting whole life. Do thing long enough, you get good. Practice enough, get good. More accurate, more fast..."

He tapped her on the shoulder and gestured for her to follow him, walking maybe thirty yards away from the gently swinging hunk of wood. The Myrian nodded his approval at the size of the target, favoring the... Goddess, she really was tall... female with a smile.

"Good choosing. Thing is about same size as torso." He slapped his broad, inked chest. "This, yes? Like... trunk."

He kept speaking as he slid into his shooting stance, as it had been taught to him long, long ago in a very different green landscape. He stood sideways to the target, bow held in his left hand, right hand reaching back for an arrow from his quiver.

"Sideways is best way. Almost not possible to fire bow accurate from front." He held the bow in front of himself, anyway, but horizontally, not vertically. "But like this. Can do, but... accurate? Not very. So, sideways is best. When bow is low, you notch arrow..."

He did so, raising his bow gently and pulling back on the string but not yet pulling it taut.

"Look at feet, see?" He wiggled his toes so she would, noticing his feet facing forward. "Put weight on both legs, ah... evenly. That is the right word? Evenly. When stance is ready, lift bow... and when holding bow, see hand-"

Razkar wiggled the hand holding the bow, letting her see that when he pulled back on the string, the handle of the bow was pressing against the ball of his thumb, hand slightly twisted to allow most of the pressure to rest on that one spot.

"That place on thumb? Broad. Broad as bow, so can rest bow on it. Make bow move much less. Then... pull back..." He did so, and let his breathing become a little louder so she could hear him. "Slow breath... slow heart... make body calm... and muscle will be calm... grip not waver..."

The Myrian sighted down the arrow, closing one eye. The tip of the arrow rested over the middle of that "torso", swaying softly in the low wind... wind that kissed his face and, as always in this moment before he let loose, he felt the still of the world around him.

All of life holding it's breath before death.

"Always aim for large place." He said, words whispered now. "When get better, can try to shoot for harder place. But me, and you? People who know only little? Aim for big thing... more likely to hit-"

And with that he loosed, letting the arrow fly, fletching stinging his cheek as he let go of the string and in a gleaming flash across the clearing, it thunked into the target.

Not where he'd aimed; more on the side, the "shoulder", sending it spinning around a little. The Myrian shrugged and offered the bow to the Kelvic, along with an arrow.

"See? Even teacher not perfect. But now is your turn."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on June 30th, 2013, 7:50 am

oocI apologize for the wait. I've written at least 10 different replies and not one of them went through right so I had to start over every time!

Septimus nodded once he spoke of practice and how it affected a person's ability to perform such a task. Apparently training effected everything in one's life which was only helping her theory of how training was the difference between life or death. Taking this theory to an evermore growing level was feeding her drive to progress into something many would see as a hazard to their well being if they were to step in her way.

He examined her target and Septimus half expected to be figuratively reprimanded for it. Afterall, she had never herself seen a makeshift target for bow practice and had only witnessed individuals shooting at targets with rings, aiming for the small dot in the middle. She was slightly surprised as he was happy with it, though. Apparently, it was supposed to be around the size of your torso for appropriate results. It would be much like shooting a person in the chest. She supposed for practicing for hunting with it then she would use one about the size of a deer and lower it to such a height to match.

The Myrian stretched to tap her on the shoulder and beckoned her. They would walk away from the target, approximately sixty feet or so. They reached the designated shooting place. Is that what you would call it?

Razkar slid into stance and Septimus stood back to take note of every single little detail and movement. She memorized the form as he was standing slightly perpendicular to the bow, itself. His footing was slightly sideways towards the target so he could properly allow his body to position to shoot it. He described his reasons for this with pretty good detail for someone who didn't know a lot of common, she supposed.

She took careful note of how he placed the arrow and how he pulled back. From what she could tell, it was like he was lining the tip of the arrow up with the center of the target. His balance was equal with everything and with that, he sent the arrow flying into the target, spinning it around as it hung suspended on her rope. As he had said, no one with the kind of experience they had would land a perfect shot lest it be sheer luck!

He handed her the bow and her eyes grew wide for a moment. Nevertheless, she never shied away from something such as simple as this. Her left hand grasped the bow's grip firmly and she used her other hand to hold the arrow in place. She put it between her fingers and placed the notch on the string. Like Razkar's position, she replicated it as best she could. She made sure the arrow was straight before she pulled back to let it soar through the air.

All of that bodybuilding and training had certainly payed off for this. When she pulled back, the bow put a pretty decent amount of resistance against her strength. She took a deep breath to stabilize herself. In the end, however, she definitely won the battle. Just like he said, she calmed her body to steady it. She closed her left eye, as her right was in line with everything so she could aim properly. She took another huge breath.

One... two... three...

Septimus had everything lined up and she let go, sending the arrow flying into the target. "Shyke!" She wasn't expecting it and her arm was cocked in while she was holding it. This in turn gained her a slap from the string on her bare arm which quickly resulted in a welt forming. Needless to say, she certainly didn't let it faze her, however. "I hit it... somewhat." Another half of an inch and she wouldn't have hit it at all. It was spinning much like Razkar had made it do just in the other direction.

Her sapphire eyes traced the new mark on her skin then chuckled "But why did I get hit by the string and you didn't?"
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next