Completed The Shadows They Dwell

Ricky chases after a familiar face, only to find he is lost deeper into Zeltiva. Yet another surprise awaits him...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Shadows They Dwell

Postby Ricky Maze on June 20th, 2013, 9:35 am

The Shadows They Dwell
Summer 12 513 AV, 14th Bell

"Sometimes we can only expect the unexpected, but when faced with the unexpected what do we do? Do we face it and follow our heart with the best intent? Or do we think with our minds and find an easy solution for whatever we face? I always follow me heart really, even though it brings me the most unusual friends... in the strangest of times."

Hot. That's just the word that played like a broken record, in the central reaches of his mind Ricky thought nothing but how hot he felt. The azure uniform he wore keeping in the heat of the day as the breeze of the ocean seem to fail at cooling down the city. Zeltivan summers usually would be rather warm, but damn if he wasn't burning up in the Wave Guard uniform. His shift was almost over though in about another bell or too, he gave a silent prayer to Laviku and Zulrav knowing that he'd be somewhere cool soon. He hated how hot and sweaty he would get in the uniform, and honestly thought maybe the guard should have a seperate uniform for the warmer seasons to make the job much more bearable in the heat.

He had marched his way down East Street twice now as no one showed suspicious activity, that was because during daylight hardly anybody would be foolish enough to try anything. He finally reached the middle of the street though as someone caught his eye, a male figure he found rather suspicious as he poked out of an alleyway. He was tall but not as tall as Ricky for sure, hardly anybody besides sailors seem to tower above him. Yet when the face turned to see that Ricky was walking down the street, both the man and Ricky went into shock at the sight of one another. The face this man had matched exactly one of the descriptions of the Guard, one of the escaped prisoners they had been on the vigilant lookout for. Black scruffy hair and a scruffy beard, a few scars on his right left cheek.

When he caught sight of Ricky the pirate turned tail and ran back into the alleyway he poked out from, Ricky hesitated as part of him almost immediately charged after the bastard. "Could it be a set up? No, he was too surprised to see me. He has to be caught before he gets away!" Sure enough he charged off into the alleyway determined to catch the pirate, a force in his legs as he sprinted down deep into the the reaches of Zeltiva, he had seen enough of the pirate he tailed to know which turns he took to try to avoid being caught. Ricky pushed himself harder as he picked up on his breathing, short quick pants came from him as he focused on catching his target with all haste in mind. His assumption was correct at least, the escaped prisoner couldn't be leading him into a trap.

For one the pirate was too desperate to get away, his turns into different alleys were numerous and frantic. A laid out trap would've been more planned, less frequent turns just to try and lose the heat that trailed behind him. Ricky now began to feel fatigue start kicking his insides as sweat broke over his brow erratically, his pants became huffs as his legs grew weary from the excessive energy use. He had to keep going though, he had to push himself until he caught the bastard. Then he could finally put an end to the danger that threatened him and his loved ones. Still no matter how hard he pushed to keep going he found that the prisoner escaped him, his chase only resulted in failure as he no longer seemed to be tailing the pirate. Ricky finally gave up and prop himself on his knee's, he heaved and gasped hard for air as he squinted from the amount of sweat that covered his face and head. He had given this chase his all but it seems that he only failed everyone, as his frequent looks left and right down the alley showed no sign of the damned prisoner. "Petchin' shyke!" He cursed with a spiteful kick to the side of a broken crate, he hurt his foot a bit as the force shook both the crate and his foot. A silent curse as he pulled his foot back from the painful stub that he had caused.

With a thunk the worn wooden planks that still held the shambled crate together shifted only a tad bit, and Ricky found himself just standing there panting until he regained his breath. How could he let one man outrun him? What would the Guard say if they heard he failed to capture the escaped prisoner? He cursed himself even more knowing that the one chance to put a stop to the threat that walked in Zeltiva had escaped him, and his face began to flush in anger and fustration at how he fell behind so easily.

"Mew!" a sound cried from the inside of the crate he kicked, which caught Ricky off guard as he raised an eyebrow. "Meeew!" He looked inside the cracks of the crate only to find pitch black waited within. As he peered around to see he was still alone, he took both hands in between a large enough crack and pulled away the planks to see inside. A thin white kitten with yellow and brown spots on its body laid inside, a confused and horrified look up at the brutish bear that had torn its hiding place apart. Ricky became surprised that a kitten had been abandoned here all alone, and for some odd reason deja vu only seemed to kick in at this moment.

"Petch no. Ya gotta be shykin' me big time here!" He called out to the skies above as though some large for at work brought the kitten to him, he didn't plan to be owning any pets for a long time after what happened with the last one. Ricky just had a habit of getting too attached it seems, after the devastating loss of Odis of course. "Sorry little guy, I can't take ya home." He apologized sincerely to the kitten, as he quickly made a break for it. When he stood up and managed to walk some odd feet away though, a sound echoed that stopped him in his tracks.

"Mew. Meeeew! Meeew!" The kitten cried as Ricky remembered its scared little face, the cute little kittens adorable face after he pried open the box. "This isn't happenin' to me... not now. It can't be." He turned around to the crate once more, unmoved as he felt regretful about leaving the kitten behind. "Meeew!" It tugged at his heart to leave behind such a small helpless animal, the kitten clearly left to fend for itself just as a pup was once before. "I hate ye... whoever's the sick sense o' humor up there I hate ya." He silently cried after he found himself returning to the crate, the kitten still in the same spot he left it with curious eyes upon him. "C'mere. C'mere squirt." He tried his best to seem enthusiastic, as he tapped his fingers on the bottom of the box. The kitten found itself intrigued already, a playful leap at the giants hand as he found a smile crept on his face. "C'mere ya damn thing." The kitten had a mind of its own of course as he found that out real quick, his hand moved to gently grasp the kitten as he brought it out on his hand. The kitten looked nervously at the height he climbed as Ricky brought it closer, paws immediately clutched into the jacket of his uniform. "Hey. Ya okay little guy? To high for ya?" He mused with a chuckle as he grinned at the kitten, which only looked at the world around him and back up to Ricky. Its eyes were blue just like his uniform, curiosity filled them as he eyed Ricky with intrigue.

"Guess I can't turn ye down after all, since ya need a care taker and whatnot." He wondered what Telion would think when she would see him, holding a little kitten when he walked into the door. It already seemed like his mind, no, his heart had made its choice. He was to take home another animal and see that it would grow old, just as the last one did until he passed away saving his master. "First we need to come up with a name..." He gently pulled the kitten off of him as it just looked about, worried and hopeful Ricky wouldn't drop him. By the looks of it the kitten was a male, just his luck it seems since he wouldn't have to worry about more kittens in the long run. "Aight then, guess I'll call ya Fenvur." He brought the kitten close and gently stroked its back, a pur rattled its rib cages as Ricky patted its soft fur. "Yeah, Fenvur sounds good. I'm sure we can get ya some fish or somethin' to fill ya out." He assured Fenvur with a smile that only seem to grew. Even though he was on shift still he wasn't too far from the Old Quarter, since was nearby he decided to quickly take Fenvur home and then return to work.

Surprisingly Telion fell in love with Fenvur at first sight, curious as to how the petch Ricky came up with the name. He didn't really know for sure, but after talking with Tel he knew one thing. Their family just had another plus one today. Even though the one criminal he chased after managed to escape, Ricky still had hopes that he would be caught soon. He wouldn't rest easy until his family was safe from danger, and with Fenvur around hopefully things would seem less dreary back at the place.

"Ricky's words.", "Ricky's thoughts.", "Telion's words.", "Hannah's words.", "Other's words."
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Shadows They Dwell

Postby Eldritch on August 2nd, 2013, 12:21 am

Ricky :
Skills
Observation +1
Investigation +1
Intelligence +1
Running +1

Lores
-Chasing down a suspect
-Losing your suspect
-Taking in Fenver

Additional Rewards
1 Alley cat (Fenver) Not exactly sure on the breed.

Notes :
Not a bad thread, it point was clear. Keep in mind that you will have to account for the cat in your seasonal deduction for you ledger.

If you have any comments/questions/concerns about your grade please PM me and we will work something out.

Keep on writing!
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook