Open Kids Gone Astray: Part I (Nalik)

A bunch of Drykas randomly chosen to look for children who might have wandered into the arms of the dangerous grassland

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Kids Gone Astray: Part I (Nalik)

Postby Vallora Salvari on June 29th, 2013, 3:39 am

Kids Gone Astray
20th of Summer, 513 A.V.

OOCOpen for everyone :D Though I'll close it after 2 or 3 more people

Her day was going a bit slowly. At least as slow as it could be possibly considering that yesterday a massive earthquake had struck the tent city. A handful of pavilions were ruined, but the damage was not overly severe. A crevice had appeared out of nowhere too, but it didn’t present any obvious danger. It was still early in the day, most people just getting started for the day.

Vallora was just strolling around the tent city, enjoying the stillness of a quiet morning. Around her, the merchants’ stalls were being set up. She did not actually have any money to spend on anything that wasn't absolutely vital, but it was still nice to look around. The appearances of the Syliran reminded her of the short time she had spent there. It was a nice change. She missed the fortified city. It resembled nothing of the place she was born, but she had grown to be fond of it. Her time there was also one of the happiest in her life. Unfortunately, it's gone now. She was back where she supposedly belonged.

So yes, there was nothing special about that day. At least until a man jumped in front of her way and stopped her. Vallora doubled back, her gray eyes widening in utter surprise. She did not see him coming. He was at least in his late thirties, his light hair braided not too exquisitely, adorned with yellow beads. Like most Drykas men, he was bare-chested, his Windmarks twisting against his torso.

“You’re a Sapphire,” the man said with a sort of relief that scared her a bit. His eyes were wild and she could see a vein pulsing from his temple. The man was visibly upset and Vallora was not sure what it had to do with her being a Sapphire. Before she could react, the man had already started talking. “Saphhire. You know how to use magic, right? Webbing? You know how to use the Web? To see the lines?” His hands gestured furiously with the fast-spoken words, making her a bit confused.

She nodded slowly, wondering why the man had started to ask her questions all of the sudden. “Yes, I can.” It was odd, alright. If he was in need of Webbers, there were a lot others who were far competent in the art than her. “Can I help you with something?”

The man took a deep shuddering breath as if to calm himself. “Children, children have gone into the Sea. Need to find them. You can do it. You need to find the children and bring them back.” He saw the confusion and hesitation in her eyes and started introducing himself. “I’m Ankal Trechus of the Goldtears Pavilion. You have to help me, the children of my pavilion had gone missing.”

For a moment, the blue-eyed girl stood frozen. Was he being serious? A bunch of Drykas couldn’t just wander off the city without anyone noticing, right? Children had been taught since they were young not wander outside the safety of their city. They should know that it was dangerous, at least a little bit. Then again, the city was packed with people and with the foreign merchants everywhere, children could easily slip away unnoticed. “Are you certain? They might just be playing around?” she offered uncertainly.

“No, you don’t understand. They’ve been gone since the earthquake. They must have been scared and ran off,” he explained hurriedly. It was clear he did not care to stand around and explain things to her, but she needed some more information on this.

She wondered if it was alright for her to ask this, “I don’t mean anything, but why aren’t you doing this? You know, looking for them?” Vallora said every carefully, wondering if she might say it a bit too sharply.

“I . . . I cannot. Please, please you have to help.” He gestured at his legs and for the first time, Vallora noticed that the Ankal was standing oddly, like he was leaning to one side. He took a step back to prove his point, showing her the limp he had. With a limp like that, it would be dangerous for him to travel out into the Sea of Grass, she knew.

She pressed her lips together, wrecked by indecision. She was not fitting for a task like this. He needed a more experienced Webber. Someone else. Anyone but her. But she could not say no, could she? Not when this man had looked at her with such desperate eyes. “I can’t go out there alone, sir. I might not survive to find the children at all.”

His eyes hardened and for a moment, she was sure that he would start yelling at her furiously. That was not what happened. The Ankal simply nodded and said, “Then, I’ll more people to go with you.” He left her side and jumped right into the crowd, in search for another volunteer. Vallora could only swallow the lump in her throat, wondering what she had gotten herself into.

Vallora Salvari
Webber of the Exiled Pavilion

Words: 75863
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 2:48 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nalik Fallingleaf on June 29th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Nalik rose later than he usually did, tired after the events of the previous day. The earth had shook, harder than he had ever felt before. A couple of pavilions were damaged and a big hole had opened out just past the city. He had gone to have a quick look but soon decided he didn't want anymore to do with it.

He pushed his way out of his tent, no real destination in mind. He just wanted to walk. He slowly made his way through the makeshift streets. Endrykas was quiet this morning. Perhaps it was still recovering from the shock of the previous days events. Or perhaps not.

Nalik found himself weaving through the streets, watching as some merchants set up stalls and other pavilions stirred and started to prepare for the day ahead. Nalik enjoyed the city more when it was like this. So quiet. Peaceful. But he knew in a couple of bells the city would be alive with people, all going about their daily routine, with baying merchants advertising their wears.

He was deep in thought, contemplating whether or not to go hunting or if he should go find something to eat, when an Drykas older than him pointed at him and broke the silence crying "You!"

Naliks first thought was of confrontation, and his hand immediately went to the bow on his back, but stopped as he came to his senses.
You are not going to be attacked by one of you'r fellow men inside Endrykas. Stop being paranoid and jumpy

He let his hand fall from the bow and turned to face the man who had now made his way to him and was standing uncomfortably close. He had long braided hair, nothing unremarkable there. His chest showed of his windmarks, a tradition favored by most Drykas males, so again nothing unremarkable. But his face. It was wild, a vein bulging in his temple. He looked flustered and harassed. Everything about him screamed tension.

"You. You will do. A hunter, yes Emerald clan. I can tell by your clothing and weapon. Help her you must, the Saphire clan woman. She is finding the lost children from my pavilion, they have run of into the sea of grass, maybe because of the earthquake i don't know! It doesn't matter, they are lost!"

Nalik stared at the man, first confusion and then a stern look appeared on his face.Well it would explain the state of this man, but could his story be true? Children were warned about the dangers of the sea, surely they wouldn't just wander off?

His hands started to sign a question, his lips shaping to follow but the man cut him off, almost yelling the word 'NO' whilst signing it right in front of his face.

"No! No time to talk! Go that way, find the woman. She is pale, pale eyes too! All dressed in blue, you can't miss her! Go go please hurry! I am in no fit state to look after my own, but you. You must help please. Bring them back". And with that he pointed in the direction of the woman and hobbled off, clearly in search of other helpers.

There goes a peaceful day. Still, it is hard to believe that even children were foolish enough to run off into the sea of grass

But despite he doubts Nalik new that he had to go and help search for them, or at least find out from someone more rational if there were any children missing indeed. He had almost doubted the mans sanity. He looked wild, even for a Drykas.

He shook his head, clearing his mind and set off at a brisk walk in the direction the man had pointed.

I am speaking to myself in my head ----- I am speaking out loud in Pavi ----- I am speaking in common
Nalik Fallingleaf
Player

Words: 46624
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Vallora Salvari on July 12th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Vallora paced nervously as she waited for the Ankal to return. A part of her was tempted to simply disappear into the crowds, but she didn’t have the heart to do it. He seemed truly frightened and she could risk the fact that there were actually kids out there; doomed with every second they wasted. She fidgeted with the small stone that rested against her chest, unsure what to do.

Even if she was going to leave, she could not simply go. She needed to tell Xaven where she was going – or even better, ask him to come along. Yes, that was not a bad idea. He was a hunter; he knew the Sea of Grass even better than she did. Xaven would certainly worry if he had not heard from her. Not only that, she still didn’t have her ride. Talvael was still off somewhere near their pavilion, grazing peacefully. Her Strider wouldn’t be bothered when disturbed she was sure, after all Tal loved an adventure into the grasslands. Should she get him now? Or wait for the Topaz Ankal to come back? If he was coming back that is. She couldn’t even tell where he had gone of to or how long it would take.

Distracted, she had bumped right into an Emerald, a hunter, clearly. Her attention flicked back to her surroundings, her eyes finally focusing on the man in front of her. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled softly, flustering with embarrassment.  

Vallora Salvari
Webber of the Exiled Pavilion

Words: 75863
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 2:48 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Laria on July 17th, 2013, 5:05 pm

OOCJumping in, hope nobody minds!

Laria had spent the morning with her Strider Cytali wandering the edges of the city. They didn't stray too far into the Sea of Grass; the Drykas never did Endrykas was always in sight wherever she went. She knew the dangers that lurked out there and she did not want to find any of them.

It was still early when the pair returned to the city itself; they had been out to watch the sunrise. Laria dismounted just before they reached the first tents and Cytali shook herself. The young woman stepped past a pavilion and the Strider followed her diligently. The city was starting to come alive for the day; stalls were being set, horses were being moved and a few early risers were already waiting to browse.

Laria had just decided where she would like to go, when a man stepped directly into her path. She stopped abruptly and the man moved closer. The young woman was about to walk away from him when he spoke. "You, you girl!" Laria was slightly taken aback by the forcefulness in his voice; he already had her attention. The man looked slightly crazed and it was starting to make her nervous.

"You must help! You Amethyst girl and your Strider must find my children!" He indicated her purple sash.
Laria took a tiny step back. "I...I don't u..."
The man cut her off. "No, quiet. Listen. My children are lost. Sea of Grass they ran to. You must help Sapphire woman to find them!"

Laria paused. Children were lost in the Sea of Grass?! That place holds dangers for even experienced hunters. She was about to speak, to ask the man a question when he held his hand up to her, indicating quiet.

"Sapphire woman is that way." He pointed. "She is all in blue, pale eyes she has. Please find her and find my children!"
With that he turned and left her, presumably to find other people. Laria hesitated for a moment before she turned and walked in the direction he had pointed. Cytali followed after her as the young woman scanned the people she came across. None seemed to fit the man's description until...

Ahead of her, a woman dressed in blue was speaking to a man with a bow across his back. Laria apporached them slowly, her Strider behind her.
"I think... I think I'm looking for you." Her voice held more of a question than a statement.
Laria
of the Amethyst Clan

Words: 58701
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2011, 8:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nalik Fallingleaf on August 19th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Nalik walked in the direction the man had pointed. What a strange twist his day had taken. He wondered whether he should simply ignore the man and carry on with his plans for the day.

Not that he had any.

No he couldn't abandon children alone in the sea of grass. They stood no chance. Although he wondered what kind of Ankal let children wonder freely into the perilous sea. He was so lost in his thought that he didn't react in time when a female Drykas backed into him. He took a step backwards and signed a quick apology before looking up into her eyes.

They were pale. She herself was quite pale, the blue she wore however complimented her complexion and her pale skin almost seemed to glow against the blue she wore. Has hands flickered another apology and a goodbye.

He had only taken a couple of steps away from her before he stopped, suddenly putting the pieces together. He turned and called to stop and made his way back to her. She turned as he approached again.

Was this the woman he was told to look for? She was certainly pale. And she was dressed in blue. He cursed under his breath. Why was this so vague? How had he ended up on this wild goose chase? What happens if this isn't the right woman? Nalik hated looking stupid.

But what else could he do but ask? And hope.

His hands signed apprehension. confusion. intrigue.

"Sorry but, did an elderly Drykas accost you earlier? About children missing in the sea of grass? I hate to be so vague but, i really have no other information. He just said find a pale Sapphire clan woman, and well. You are the first woman i have met that fits the description.

oocI am so sorry that my reply is so late, my life has been very busy, but it is getting less so from now on for a while so I will en devour to reply quicker. Sorry again!
I am speaking to myself in my head ----- I am speaking out loud in Pavi ----- I am speaking in common
Nalik Fallingleaf
Player

Words: 46624
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Character sheet