[Rearing Stallion] Ale with a Murderer [Finished]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Rearing Stallion] Ale with a Murderer (John)

Postby Kane Roth on July 18th, 2010, 2:46 pm

It seemed that all of it was coming together, a dream that, outside of Syliras, was unachievable. "Now then. I will contact the proper channels and see about getting you the necessary interview. Until then I need to know where you are staying, so I can contact you." Kane sat for a moment, trying to recall the number of the apartment on traveler's row he'd been renting, and finally muttered something, though it was only a faint murmur of little import.

"Hmm... I believe that it was room four-something in the 'Row. Four twente-y-eight," he drew out the twenty as he finally recalled the room number, "Yes. Four twenty eight." John had also made mention of practice, something which Kane no doubt needed, considering his lack of action the past season, as well as the mention of a library, the mere thought of which caused Kane's eyes to go alight, "I'd be eager to spar, John... Do you have a training sword I can borrow-er, nevermind. I can grab one down at the Ironworks." Then, his right eyebrow twisting slightly, he continued the beginnings of a grin forming, "No harm at all." Kane began to put his medallion back under his shirt as a thought occurred to him, one he soon shared with John, "Many thanks for hearing me out... Per'aps my past can be cloaked with my future."
Kane Roth
Player

Words: 74098
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on July 19th, 2010, 10:12 am

"Four twenty-eight? Excellent. If you like I can show you to my room when we're done here, in case you need to find me, or leave me a note," said John, feeling quite good about the night and the future. He scratched his neck when Kane asked about a spare training sword, but stopped when the larger man mentioned buying his own. "Well, that would be suitable. But now that you mention it, I suppose I should start buying extra equipment, being a knight and all. As a squire there's no wages, one normally borrows equipment from their patron and the Order. I'll have to get some extra practice equipment now that the Knights are paying me."

John gave a warm smile. "You are quite welcome Kane, I think this will end up being worth while for both of us. As for your past. While you can atone for it, don't cloak it so well that you forget it. It is a part of you, and may well be the part that keeps you striving down the right path."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Kane Roth on July 19th, 2010, 1:56 pm

The news about the training gear was well received with Kane, though John did make a point about his past; that should he forget he ran the chance of becoming such again... such thoughts disturbed Kane as he thought for a momen. John had a good head on his shoulders, a better one than Kane would ever have, more than likely. Thinking back in turn to the conversation, Kane adressed John's quarters, leaning back in his seat, "Sure, if you don't mind." Standing as he finished, Kane stretched his arms as much as they'd allow in the crowded space, letting a pent up sigh escape his lips as he returned to his normal stature, and as he did so a thought occurred to him, one he soon shared with John, partly out of concern for his steed but also for his dwindling stockpile of mizas, "As a squire, would there be a place where I could house my horse? Aside from Windmount." If he kept his paint there for much longer, nothing personal against the owners of the establishment, he'd be drained of funds. Funds needed for food, shelter, weaponry, even armor... He didn't want to borrow all of his gear, some of the weight should at least be distributed away from John and the Order, though Kane was getting ahead of himself. He'd only gotten a patron, there was still another test or two before he was granted entry into the Order's ranks, and even more still should he achieve such to become a Knight...
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on July 20th, 2010, 2:15 am

John stood after Kane, not stretching, instead cracking a few joints. As he did he said, "I don't mind at all." He reached down and grabbed his ale. Lifting it to his lips, he finished the tankard off in one fell swoop of several gulps. Making an 'ah' sound at the refreshing feeling, he set the ale down and wiped his lips with his fingers. "Hmmm," came the response as John thought about the stables. Windmount is pretty much it. I think some of the inn's may have stables as well, but the Order mostly keeps their mounts at Windmount. Stabling there is free for knights, but I don't know about squires." He smiled sheepishly. "I don't own my own horse yet, so it was never really an issue." He thought about it for another moment. "I hate to say it, but in this case you may be out of luck. You should ask about it at the stables though, just in case."

John pushed in the chair and put his cloak on, giving Kane a gesture to follow him as he headed for the door and out into the street.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Kane Roth on July 20th, 2010, 2:52 am

John's explanation concerning the stables disheartened him somewhat, having to think of some way to work on some sort of deal... Perhaps he could make it work, perhaps as a Squire he could convince them, but at the moment he would likely have little effect. Quickly Kane opted to follow John, navigating between the many tables and patrons that still dwelled in the Stallion, eventually making it to his green woolen cloak, donning it and fastening the brooch quickly, not wanting to be left, eagerly following John through the large door. Quickly he could feel the chill evening air on his face, his body having adjusted to the warmth inside the tavern. As they walked, Kane couldn't contain his excitement and broke down, asking, "Sorry if this seems slightly impatient, but just when should I expect the interview?"

The streets were noticeably quieter than they'd been before, the activity that'd been abundant earlier having waned slightly with the passage of the light, though there were always a handful of passer-bys present, it was only a fraction of what'd been.
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on July 20th, 2010, 6:17 am

As they walked along John pulled his cloak tighter to ward off the coolness of the evening. Even as they made their way inside the castle, he kept it close, as some parts of the lower castle were prone to drafts.

John looked at Kane momentarily as the question was asked, before looking back forward to watch where he was going. "It's fine, no harm in being prepared. I myself am a hereditary knight. My father, grandfather and great-grandfather were all knights. Because of this I have been groomed, pretty nearly since birth, to take on the mantle of knighthood. However, as you know the Order is open to those who did not have such upbringings, such as yourself. The interview is mostly just to get an idea of your level of knowledge in the areas deemed necessary to being a knight. Afterwards I'll be given instructions and tips on how best to get you caught up and ready for your knight's quest. There may be some personal questions, I honestly don't know. Like I said, I was raised for this, and didn't have any such interview, so I only know what I've heard."

John led Kane into the castle, taking turns and giving him landmarks to help remember his way. Suddenly he stopped. "I just had an idea." Clearly the idea excited him, as he released his cloak and started talking with his hands. "I've heard that Windmount is hiring. It's the perfect opportunity. If you got a job there a few days a week, there would be several benefits. First, you'd make some coin, and they might even let you stable your horse for free, or possibly at a reduced cost. Second, I have patrols and other tasks to do when I'm in the city, so I may not be available every day to work with you. Those days would be perfect for you to lend a hand down at the stables. Thirdly, it would allow you to learn horses and riding simultaneously, and that is knowledge necessary to knighthood." John had a big grin on his face. "What do you think?"
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Kane Roth on July 20th, 2010, 4:46 pm

The two strode into the majestic castle, many a warm light illuminating the path, John balancing landmarks and directions with brief experiences of his own with the knighthood, Kane trying to take in all he could as he kept up with him, managing what information was truly valuable and what could be discarded, though soon John had an idea, not a bad idea certainly, that Kane should try for a job at Windmount stables, perhaps finding some experience with horses and riding them while earning a bit of coin over on the side. The situation itself didn't seem a bad one, Kane mentally admitting that he probably wouldn't have every day to accompany John as a squire, and after going through several other possibilities, pondering just where else in town would one such as himself find a job, he thought on it for a final moment or two after John had finished, and spoke "Seems a good enough idea... I'll try for it." The two stood in one of the many hallways of the castle, the place itself giving off not a cramped, but a more cozy atmosphere, a feeling that seemed lacking in most places. Looking about, Kane wondered aloud why they'd stopped, "We here already?"
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on July 21st, 2010, 2:07 am

John nodded at Kane's acceptance of the idea. He couldn't believe he hadn't thought of that sooner. The torchlight bathed the two in flickering warm yellow light that one got used to after years of living in the castle. John shook his head at Kane's question. "No, the idea just hit me so hard I had to stop." He kept walking down the corridor. "It's just up here though, third door on the left after this next intersection." He passed the intersection and walked up to the indicated door.

"This is it. Knock anytime you need me, day or night. If I'm here I'll answer. Otherwise you can slip a note under the door if it's really important. Or if it's late and it's not that important, you can leave me one for the morning."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Kane Roth on July 21st, 2010, 3:07 am

"No, the idea just hit me so hard I had to stop."

As John shook his head as he spoke, Kane allowed a smile to creep upon his face, the simple thought of something managing to halt him appealed to Kane's small sense of humor combined with the circumstances managing to allow the expression. Soon John showed his quarters, the directions being burnt into his mind as Kane watched, eventually coming to a stop near a wooden door, obviously John's; as he soon explained, and also he shared just how to get a hold of him, should Kane ever need. As he finished the two stood idly by, Kane feeling somewhat out of place, Kane decided that it might prove better to take his leave, and so with a brief bow of his head, bid John farewell, "Many thanks again for hearing me out, John. I'd best be getting back to my quarters."
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on July 21st, 2010, 7:46 am

John returned the bow of the head and replied, "You're quite welcome, Kane. I'll be seeing you then."

With that he pulled out a key and let himself into his room. After the door shut there was a loud click as he re-locked the door, and some shuffling noises that quickly grew too faint to hear.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

PreviousNext