Completed The Book of Fire [Part I]

Aoren begins work on his very first spellbook.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Book of Fire [Part I]

Postby Aoren on July 11th, 2013, 10:28 pm

10th Day of Summer, 513AV

Aoren entered his apartment quietly after a long day’s work at Stormhold Salves. He’d honed his craft as an apothecary under the watchful gaze of Mistress Sahfri Blackleaf from the early hours of the morning all the ways into the early evening. His work for the day however, wasn’t quite finished. With a tired sigh he ran both hands over his face before grabbing a candle he always kept by the door. He closed the door to his apartment then conjured a small amount of Res into the palm of his hand. With practiced ease he waved his hand over the wick of the candle while simultaneously igniting the outer most layer of the Res collected in his palm. The candlewick immediately caught fire casting illumination into the otherwise dim interior of Aoren’s home. Wandering over to his bed he stepped out of his boots allowing his bare feet to touch the cool stone floor of the interior of his living space. It was a sparsely decorated one room apartment but it had been home for Aoren for many years. Dropping his pack on his bed and resting his quarterstaff by the mantle of the fireplace he expanded the Res in his hand then cast a stream of fire into the pit lighting the wood piled there on fire. Once the fireplace was properly roaring Aoren allowed his Res to dissipate releasing his hold on his magic. He set the candle in his hand in a holder on the nearby table.

Aoren ran his hands over the worn wood of the trunk. It was hardly anything grand. Roughly carved and poorly shaped it did little more than store items in a convenient space. Aoren might as well have strewn his belongings about the floor of the room for all the protection it provided the items inside. Appearances were appearances though and Aoren hated not having a tidy living space. He lifted the lid of the trunk and retrieved what lay inside. In one hand he pulled out thick leather bound book that was stiff and still smelled of freshly tanned hide. It was obvious that the book had not been used for anything whatsoever. In the other hand he retrieved a vial of ink, a quill pen and a pouch of sand that he’d collected by the banks of the Avitar River. Taking those items he placed them on his small table then with a wave of his hand over the wick of a nearby candle illuminated the workspace he made for himself more clearly that it may burn brightly alongside its sister candle.

He seated himself at the table then stared into the flames for a moment. The young Drykas held up a palm before his face, his cobalt blue eyes zeroing in on the telltale mark of a Reimancer centered there. He brushed the tips of his fingers on his opposite hand over the scar. After seemingly staring off into space for a minute he shook himself out of his trance. Aoren situated himself on his seat more comfortably then settled in to start writing. He opened the cover of the blank book, picked up his quill, dipped it in ink then set to writing.

“Tenth day of the five-hundred and thirteenth Summer after the Valterrian.

It is said that Fire shapes the fate of all men. Then what of those who are not of mankind? What is it then that shapes their Fate? Is it blood? Is it power? It is a writhing ambition? Or is it simply the drive to survive? Whatever drives men and the other races of our broken world perhaps the answers might be found in these pages…if there is to be an answer at all?

I remember clearly the man who introduced me to the Great Art but as sharply as I remember him I remember even more clearly the agony such knowledge inflicted upon me. The reminder of which is forever etched into the skin of my palms. Were I a wiser man, perhaps I would have walked another path instead of that of a wizard if I had known then what I know now. That is all irrelevant though for here I sit, in a dusty room with dilapidated furniture in the epicenter of civilization in our ancient new world. Here I sit finally giving shape and form to the knowledge I have accumulated over my very long, young life.”
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aoren on August 8th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Aoren set down his quill pen as he read over the words he’d written upon the first page of the book. He got up from his place at the table then collected a few food items from the larder in the corner of his apartment. He set an iron pot on the rung over the fire pit then grabbed the unused bucket of water he kept by the larder and poured some into the pot. He made a mental note to visit the well before he went to bed that night. Once that was finished he cut up a turnip, sliced some carrots, peeled a potato and cut a strip of dried meat into squares then tossed them into the pot. He added a little bit of wheat flour to the water so as to thicken the water and make a stew. Grabbing a spoon he stirred his ingredients patiently until they were as evenly distributed around the pot as they could get. It wouldn’t be much of a meal but it would be enough to satisfy his needs. He set the spoon upon the mantle then returned to his seat crossing his ankles beneath the chair to get comfortable.

“Amongst all the wizards I have encountered the most prevalent form of magic used would appear to be the form I am most familiar with, Reimancy it is called. The simplest way to describe this arcane art is to say that it is the manipulation of the principle elements, Earth, Air, Water and Fire. This is where I shall start.

Reimancy. When the general populace think of a wizard it is unsurprising that they imagine a man hurling fireballs into random places. Reimancy is the name for this particular Art and Fire is the first element I shall discuss as it is the element I was first taught.

Fire, unlike the other three natural elements, demands not to be controlled. It urges the wizard to give into deeper passions such as anger, lust, recklessness and whimsical displays of widespread destruction. For that is what the essence of Fire is, Destruction. To understand Fire as an arcane element however one must meditate on the inner fire that exists within all living things. For inside all of us there dwells a spark. A burning ember that when stoked can turn into a raging inferno if not approached with caution.

As my teacher told me I shall impart that knowledge to these pages, the simplest way to understand Fire is to understand what drives an individual. What drives you? It was a simple enough question to ask myself. I have found though that more often than not the simplest of questions have the most elusive answers. What gives you passion? What raises your spirits? What fills you with anger? What makes your knees quake with lust? In essence, who are you? Find that answer and you can find your spark and once you find your spark you can ignite it.

It was not enough, however, to know what drove me when I first discovered my Spark. I needed to understand –why- those things drove me. Many forget that to walk the path of magic one also walks the path of a habitual meditator. When I found those answers it became easier to call upon those passions. I knew then not just –what- drove me but I also knew –why-. When all of those pieces fell into place I knew that I had finally found a permanent connection to the Fire that burned inside of me.”
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on August 8th, 2013, 11:53 pm

Aoren set down his quill rising from his place at the table once more. He grabbed a bowl from the mantle and dipped his spoon into the boiling pot of makeshift stew. He brought the steaming stew to his lips and blew on the food to help cool it. After a few short breaths he gingerly tasted the mediocre meal. It was far from anything they’d serve in a fine tavern or one of the Inn’s but it would fill his stomach easy enough. He scooped a good amount into his bowl before grabbing a cloth and wrapping it around his hand so that he could grab the handle of the iron pot and set it off to the side away from the fireplace. The Drykas man returned to his seat and ate some of his stew before setting the bowl aside to continue his writing.

“The simplest and most basic of Reimancy spells that was ever taught to me was the act of summoning forth my understanding of the element of Fire and packing it into a short lived but highly effective dart of flame.”

Aoren paused in his writing to brush at his chin with the feather of the quill for a moment. He pondered the steps of performing this technique.

“As with all spells in Reimancy it started first with the conjuring of my Res, the manifestation of the Djed within me, and transmuting it into the living embodiment of my burning passions. As my teacher never taught to me the words of the Ancient Tongue used to focus magic by speaking the true name of things I had only my meditative techniques to go by as a focus for my energies. One of what I am certain are many ways in which to cast spells. Force of willpower was the only tool ever at my disposal so it is the tool I shall seek to develop by means of this text.

Creating the firebolt is very easy. Do not separate the layers of the Res and before igniting the conjured ball of Res flick the wrist and propel the sphere in the desired direction transmuting the conjured material as it is released from one’s grasp.
While the firebolt is perhaps not the most accurate spell at a Reimancer’s disposal it is perhaps one of the more commonly used.”

Aoren lay down his quill and picked up his bowl of stew. He read and reread the pages he had written before nodding to himself. It was a rudimentary work but for the time being it was meant for his eyes only. This book, a journal of sorts, was serving a very personal purpose. It was to be a focusing agent for his thoughts. A means by which he could jot down his understanding of the powers at his command. He had a long ways to go before it was finished but for now he was satisfied that with this new undertaking he would learn and grow as he was meant to.

The Drykas finished his stew before closing the book after allowing the ink on the last page to dry. He got up from the table, set his empty bowl on the mantle then sat down in front of the fireplace. The flames dancing in the hearth helped him clear his head. Aoren was not one of the most adept and powerful wizards that could be found but, even if it was a small project, he felt confident that his understanding of magic would expand. If only a little.

With that he closed his eyes and began his nightly meditation before going to bed. Tomorrow he would continue, in essence, his work on his very first spellbook.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on September 4th, 2013, 7:17 am

njaa

Aoren :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Philosophy +2 XP
Writing +3 XP
Cooking +1 XP
Reimancy +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Mundane Use Of Fire Reimancy: Lighting Candle And Fireplace
Reimancy Philosophy: Fire And My Spark
Reimancy Technique: Firebolt

Loots

Notes :
A solid philosophical solo regarding Reimancy. I love your writing, as always, Aoren. :) :thumbsup:

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)