Completed The Calm After A Crisis

After yesterdays life threatening events Ricky starts his training, with the help of a long lost father to give some pointers.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Ricky Maze on July 22nd, 2013, 1:41 am

The Calm After A Crisis
Summer 31st, 513 AV; 10th Bell

"Ricky! Ricky!" Telion called his name with a soft hand to nudge him on the shoulder, the both of them had a long gruesome week after the twenty-sixth day as the event of their attackers unfolded. Though the pirates made their move and were nearly successful in their plan, Ricky and Telion both made it out alive with the help of their friends. Of course that didn't mean the memory of the dire situation didn't leave Ricky's memory, as he wound up with feverish shivers from the nightmares that plagued his sleep. "Ricky, wake up." Telion pleaded as she shook him just a little, finally her words broke through the sinister dream of yesterday's memory and his eyes opened to reveal the fear he experienced.

Heavy gasps came from the guard as he gulped down the words he nearly choked on when he awoke, relief finally started to settle in his deep gaze as the first thing saw was Telion's beautiful face. Concern was evident enough but there was great worry for Ricky, and as she saw that he had come around she then cradled his head on her shoulder as he brought his arms around her. The both of them laid in bed locked in their embrace for a while, with words of comfort from Telion as Ricky kept himself from sobbing. He had almost lost her. The one time he had gone out he nearly lost Telion and their unborn child, and then what would've he done? Sure enough he would've given in and slipped into Dira's embrace, had Telion not shown herself to him in that bell of need.

Telion, Hannah, Burt, Gale, and Tallis. All were at risk of being harmed yesterday, all because of Ricky and his past. Because of his endeavor with Sebastian and Odis, the pirates from that night could've killed all of them had their plans taken a different turn. Though they all did what they could to help, they still faced the possibility of death all for his sake. Ricky couldn't bear the thought of that, it tore him apart on the inside knowing that this was all part of his doing. Had he not gone with Sebastian that night, then none of this surely would've happened. Not a small chance would exist that his friends would've been hurt, but that was just wishful thinking now that the past had come back. This time though that part of his past woupd remain where it belonged, and never again hurt anyone he cared about so dearly. Ricky held Telion even closer now as he allowed a few sobs to go, her comfortive words eased the pain and regret that weighed in his heavy heart.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on July 28th, 2013, 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Ricky Maze on July 23rd, 2013, 10:10 am

Fenvur stalked his way over Telion so he could come between the two of them, purs of comfort could be heard as he nested himself comfortable against Ricky. It was just enough to make him smile as the couple chuckled at the adorable act the little furball did. "Do you want to talk about it any?" Tel finally asked, now that the terror had finally left Ricky for the day.

"Not much to say really. There just... nightmares. Yesterday was just another nightmare." He replied with a sigh, a hand over Fenvur now to pet the oblivious kitty.

"It's more than that Ricky. I know when you hide something from me." She gave a look to him when he said this, one that made Ricky's faint smile fade.

"I just... I shouldn't have left you 'ere. Maybe if I'd stay home nothin' would've happened. 'Cause o' me everyone that got involved was in danger, it's my fault they nearly died yesterday." He confided apologetically, as though he were the one who did wrong. He nearly broke into tears again as he kept on, but Telion shushed him and cradled his head once more.

"It is not your fault Ricky, those men were responsible for their actions. They wanted to hurt you the best way the knew, instead of going away while they still had the chance." She assured him with soft words.

"'Cause o' me. If Odis and I hadn't gone with Sebastian that night, they wouldn't have come after you or intend to hurt the others." He blatantly remarked.

"You can't put this all on yourself Ricky, that kind of regret is something you shouldn't live with. If you and Odis didn't take on the pirates that night, Sebastian could've died and those children would've become slaves. You did good on your part, so don't let something bad like yesterday make you think otherwise." She reproved to him with a firmer toner, her words were still gentle in saying them of course. It made Ricky think hard for a moment on the whole situation, how one good deed led to all of this. How one act he made came to follow up with a turn-about like yesterday.

"How can you be so strong after yesterday, you almost died because of me."

"I'm alive now am I not, and our baby is as well." She pointed out by taking his hand and placing it over her lower abdomen. "The only reason I'm strong now is because even though I almost lost you, you're still here with me." She finished as he looked deep into her eyes.

"And I'm thankful to every God and Goddess out there I've still got you." He admitted sincerely with a peck on her lips. Fenvur had made his way up to Ricky's face now, a nose to nose contact made as the kitten still purred. "Meow."

"Aww, see even Fenny agrees." She quirked as Ricky smiled a bit.

"I think he just wants attention." He mused with a chuckle as Telion giggled along, but their moment in peace had been cut short by a knock on the door. It was a knock Ricky was familiar with, but the one behind the door made it clear who he was for good reason.

"It's your father, son, would mind answering the door?" Burten'ss voice called out in concern, no doubt eager to check on his family after yesterday.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Ricky Maze on July 24th, 2013, 2:34 am

"Yeah be there in a moment." Ricky responded as he pushed himself up out of bed, he slipped on his cotton trousers and fastened the belt around his waist, then proceeded to the door to open and peek out the crack to see the face of his father. "Whatcha need?"

"I wanted to see you again, make sure you two were still breathin'." Burt looked sincerely at his son as he expressed this, dark circles under his eyes as though he hadn't slept at all. "How are you two?"

"We're fine. Been only a day but so far we've not had any more attacks." Ricky humored as he glanced back to Telion, who had gotten up to get dressed.

"Heh. That's good. I actually wanted to ask, would you mind going somewhere with me. It'll only take a bit of your time." Burt assured him as Ricky looked downward, his thoughts already decided on not leaving the room today until his patrols were about to start. However after yesterday of course Ricky had thought about it well enough, the two of them did need to reconnect after being apart for so long.

"Let me finish gettin' dressed." Ricky finally replied after deep consideration, he held a finger up as a notion for "just a chime" and shut the door to get dressed. It took him a couple of chimes to throw on his vest and then tie his shoes, but before he left to go with his father he held Telion close once more with a promise to be back before he started his patrol. When he went out the bedroom door Burt stood against the wall patiently, until his son came out to head to wherever the old man wanted to go. Ricky assumed that Burt had the intention to catch up with Ricky since the two hardly spoke much, but he failed to realize that Burt had an idea in mind that would best serve his son in the long run. The two had left the building, and gone into the city of Zeltiva to feel the heavy heat of humidity weigh upon them.

Burt had brought them to a secluded area within Mathew's Bay with few words, rocks and more rocks decorated the beachfront as they came to a spot that had looked as though it had recently been cleared. The rocks weren't random anymore but instead organized in a large circle that made a ring, and in the middle of the ring two long wooden sticks poked from the sand. They weren't sticks though, they were wooden swords made for practice. Burt's reason for being cryptic in bringing Ricky here became rather obvious now, but the son would play coy as to what this was. "What's this now?"

"You know what this is. After yesterday you promised your beloved and your friends they would never be close to hurt again, even if that meant you had to work to make it possible." Burt explained as he went to the center of the ring, and then pulled out both wooden swords to get them started.

"Yeah, but this. This isn't what I had in mind." Ricky quirked as he rubbed the sweat of his brow, if the small breeze didn't bring the cool kiss of the sea then he'd likely be burning up as of now. He then made the connection between the home made training ring and Burt's tired eyes. "You made this. That's why you look so tired, ya been workin' on puttin' all this together."

"Spent the rest of the day lookin' for this little area, then almost all night movin' the rocks around." Burt admitted as he approached Ricky, one of the swords held out for the guard to handle. Ricky only shook his head in refusal. "Take it son."

"No, I ain't gonna risk hurtin' you." He snapped back defensively.

"You are my son, and a member of thr Wave Guard. If you do not take this sword, then how can you hold a real one when in danger?" Burt's tone didn't change.

"Don't give me that shyke, that's petchin' different from this." Ricky defended with an attitude now. "Though I may be yer son where the petch have you been for the past eight years?!"

"That's not fair. I wanted to come back, I just couldn't-"

"Barnicle shyke pa! Ya coulda but ya didn't." Ricky interrupted harshly, Burt however only stood there at took the words.

"I stayed away for good reason, and what should matter more is the fact I'm here now son. I'm here and I won't be leavin' again at all, because you need me now. I want to be here for you; and for my grandchild too." Burt explained with a frown on his face, however he was content in handling the bitterness Ricky felt. He understood there would be that time where Ricky would be angry, any child would after they believef their parent dead for so long. "Please Ricky, let me in your life once more. Let me help protect you and your family, so you don't have to be alone when another time of danger calls." He pleaded sincerely with glassy eyes, the sword still there for Ricky to take as he only looked to his father bitterly.

Ricky thought about long and hard. He had considered finally being on talking terms with Burt after yesterday, and now he had to consider whether or not he would open up to his old man once again. He had to admit his father and unyielding determination to prove he was going to stay for good, better yet show he really meant what he said by doing what he did. If anything Burt was more than serious to try and be a part of Ricky's life again, he wanted nothing more then to be the parent he missed out on being for the past eight years. As his expression finally broke Ricky sighed and took the wooden sword from Burt, his scowl turned to a serious expression as he spoke to Burt. "Ya get one chance, don't petch it up this time." He quirked as his fatherly gave a small grin.

"Thank you son. Now to better your sword skill, by the time we finish your trainin' I plan to make a fine swordsman outta you yet." Burt nodded in appreciation, his eyes full of new found hope in a future with his family.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Ricky Maze on July 24th, 2013, 6:44 am

"All right Ricky, there's no doubt you know how to use a blade. I can see you handle the hilt well, but you've a lot to learn and master if you plan to be a seasoned swordsman." Burt lectured with arms crossed and wooden sword tucked underneath one arm. Ricky scoffed with a smirk at how his dad sounded so cocky.

"Cocky much old man?" He teased with his wooden sword rested on his right shoulder.

"There is a different between being cocky and being experienced Ricky, I've travelled around enough with the ability to use a blade but still encountered dangers greater then my skill. Now I'm goin' to pass on what I know to you, but first I've to see how well you handle your basics." Burt took his wooden sword in his right hand and gripped the hilt with both hands. "Show me what you can do my boy."

"Kayo. Ya asked for it." Ricky started to think maybe he'd enjoy this too much, the chance to beat your own father up in sword lessons did sound rather pleasing. Ricky brought kept his sword on his shoulder still but leaned forward into a crouch, an offensive position he favored when he would overwhelm his opponents. After a moment of feeling the hilt firmly gripped in his right hand, Ricky charged forward with a horzontal swing that came from the right. Burten had raised his blade up to block the blow with the sword pointed down, and shoved the wooden object away just enough to where he could do a downward jab onto Ricky's right foot. "Gah petch!" Ricky hollared as he stumbled back and gritted his teeth, he didn't expect Burt to pull off such a quick move with that block.

"Not bad. Keep trying." Burt mused as he waited for Ricky to go in for another strike. This time Ricky made a horzontal swing from his left, his right arm swung out as the wooden sword whooshed through the air. Burt's timing in his block was precise again though, the sword brought up with another downward arc as a clank sounded from the collision of wood. Ricky prepared to move his left foot away should Burt have pulled off the same move, only this time his old man decided to do something completely different. He slid his sword forward as the wood grinded, and in the process curved Ricky's blade up to throw him off guard, then spun around to smash the wooden sword behind Ricky's left shin to send him sprawling on his ass. Ricky fell with a grunt to the ground as the sand failed to make as good of a cushion as he hoped, a groan of pain as he rubbed the spot his father hit.

"Damn. Ye're not kiddin' 'round." Ricky admitted with a furrow in his brow, he stood back on his feet and wiped the sand off his tush as Burt laughed.

"That's just how honed my sword skills have becomed my boy, in due time you will learn the same tricks and even pick some up on your own." Burt stood in his defensive position once more, eyes on Ricky as he waited for his son to make his next move. "Now I'll only continue to block any attack you throw at me without any parrying or countering, so come at me again with everything you have." Ricky nodded as he leaned into his offensive stance once more, determined to make it past his fathers defense somehow.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Ricky Maze on July 25th, 2013, 12:04 am

Ricky brought his wooden sword around from his right with a quick swing from his shoulder, the pole wooshed through the air with momentum and clanked into Burt's sword with decent speed, and then Burt's guard allowed the pole to continue it's travel as he spun around to pull up another block. Ricky's arm came to a halt when the pole had traveled to his left side, and so he pulled his arm to the right to get another strike in that was again guarded but still traveled through. "So he was only showin' how good I'll be if I train well enough, now he's just testin' me to see how well I can fight." Ricky brought his sword from the right back to the left once more a bit more harder, the whoosh sounded louder as the pole swung with quicker momentum until Burt's sword caught it with another loud clank. This time both of the wooden swords rattled and Ricky felt his right hand twinge in pain, but his strike pulled through with Burt actually staggering just a bit.

"Damn son, you've got a sword arm there on you. You'll need to start working out more to build up on that swinging power." Burt expressed with a big smile on his face, it was enough to make Ricky return his father's remark with a grin and nod. "Moving on now, you have the basics down in your swings already. Now show me what else you can do."

"Okay." Ricky nodded and brought the pole up go his right with two hands on the hilt, knee's bent as he prepared to leap at his father. Burt held his sword up horizontally to brace for the strike Ricky was about to pull, and then Ricky jumped up a bit to swing his sword overhead and downward to smash into Burt's sword as he descended. Ricky's swing came with enough force to actually cause Burt to lose his footing, as he nearly fell backwards from the clash between their wooden swords. He had an astonished look on his face when he recovered his ground but then gave a proud smile to Ricky afterwards. "Very good. You pull off jump attacks like those you can stagger your opponents, it's a risky move though because the chance to strike while your in midair exists."

"I've another trick up me sleeve." Ricky smirked as he rested his sword on his shoulder again.

"Well aren't you full of surprises." Burt remarked with a laugh as he braced his sword once more. "Show me."

"Ye got it." Ricky agreed as he held out his arm with the pole out behind him, Ricky thought about for a moment how he would pull this off successfully and overwhelm his father; surprise him with how sudden he would flourish. Then he went into action. With a quick clockwise turn Ricky rounded with a harsh swing that packed the same force as his earlier jump attack. The pole clanked into Burt's with enough power to finally throw him off track, and when Ricky created an opening through Burt's defense he sent the sword forward to jab Burt on his lower back. Burt growled at first but he handled the pain better than Ricky anticipated, a laugh came from him as he faced Ricky once more. "That was a good one, and what do you call that trick?" Burt had started to pant now, his defending now shown the signs of exhaustion.

"That little trick is called the Flourish, gets through an enemy's defense to make an oppening. The next blow that comes is critical dependin' on where ya land it." Ricky explained inbetween breathes as he too panted from the workout.

"Nifty. Looks like you've got quite the technique there. Definitely good start to have, b'cause after that I'm now ready to teach ya everythin' I know." Burt twirled hilt inbetween his fingers as the pole swung around to be back into his palm once again, Ricky had to wonder just how Burt didn't react to the pain so bad. The possibility that he was to tired to was a chance, but even though Ricky pulled that last jab a bit the clank that hurt his hand earlier didn't seem to affect Burt.

"How do ya not show discomfort with pain, didn't it hurt ya earlier when our blades hit one another." Ricky inquired curiously. Burt only chuckled at his question.

"It used to hurt yes, but after living through troubling situations I came to no longer feel physical pain. Particularly the situation I got this scar," he pointed to the scar that went over his eye, "was the last I can truly remember pain."

"What happened?" He prodded without thought.

"Something you needed know 'bout, and to be thankful that I had a good healer able to mend most of my wounds." Burt established with a bit of a frown, Ricky then concluded that his father was indeed not very fond of the memory. "Now the first technique you'll learn after today is to parry attacks, much like I demonstrated earlier when we started. Are you ready?"

"Ya bet I'm ready." Ricky loosely smirked to his father in response, his mind began to wonder just how much his fathered suffered in the time he was gone.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Ricky Maze on July 25th, 2013, 10:13 am

"All right Ricky, this technique your about to learn is a handy one. It's known to every swordsman as the finishing blow, and it is used when your enemy is at his most vulnerable state." Burt explained as he drew a midsized X in the sand in front of Ricky with his wooden sword, his gaze returned to his son as he gave a bit of space between the two. "One must build their accuracy if they plan to master this technique, only then does their blow become the finishing one."

"So ya want me to do what exactly?" Ricky inquired, a bit unsure about the goal of this training method.

"Leap from your position and stab the sword in the center of that mark as many times as you can, you'll have quite a bit of practice before your accuracy improves of course." Burt instructed as he took a seat on the sand, eyed on his son as Ricky exhaled with uncertainty. However that uncertainty would become evidently clear that it wasn't needed, as when Ricky did his first leap and downward thrust into the sand the pole of the sword missed it's target by a couple of inches. Ricky didn't wait to try again of course, with a few steps back after pulling out the sword he was already into his next leap. The strike still missed its inteaded target as it was above the mark now, he had leapt a bit too far it seems. Already getting fustrated Ricky went in for another, and once again an inch too short of the target. Pretty soon he would find himself challenging his aim, and focusing on the push in his feet before he would make the leap.

20 chimes later...

"Rrra!" He thrusted the pole once more into the sand as it made it's target. It had been the second time now in a row, a few other times he made a consective amount of four before his aim went off. He had to make ten consective hits on the center, then the technique would be considered "learned" in his standards, though he already learned it some even number of tries ago. His aim was all focused in where not only where point of the sword went but where his body willed it, thus the part where he would leap before stabbing the damned mark made this fact known. "Grrar!" Another landed mark. His face and his body was all drenched in sweat, he needed a break but he was already getting close. He just needed to get past the fact his hands felt sore, that his arm muscles ached and made theirselves known to him that they were exhausted, that his legs had enough of a workout for one day after such exercise had been done. "Almost halfway there."

Ricky backed a few feet then brought the sword up, took one step forward to make his leap and then brought the pole down to stab in the center of the mark once more. Spot on, his accuracy was getting better slowly but steadily. Ricky repeated the same thing as he did time and time again, the sword being brought down with intentions to pierce the X with ferocity. "Ha!" He called out as the pole sank into the sand, unfortunately the tip was only a few centimeters to the right of the spot. "Dammit!" He cursed with a kick at the sand. Burt's hand came to be on his right shoudler though as he panted steadily for air.

"Enough for one day my boy, we'll come back here tomorrow and resume training." Burt assured him with a warm grin, pride in his eyes as he looked upon Ricky. The guard agreed it was time to head back home, he would have to get ready to patrol his route soon, and by the looks of Syna's position he had maybe half a bell left before he needed to get ready. "We'll come back tomorrow, til then rest up so you'll be ready."

"Sounds good." Ricky nodded as he turned to follow his father, the two then headed back to the city with a bit of exhausted enthusiasm to add to their day.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Calm After A Crisis

Postby Eldritch on August 12th, 2013, 1:43 am

Ricky :
Skills
Longsword +4
Acrobatics +2

Lores
-Giving your father a chance to be in your life
-Longsword attack: The Lunging Strike
-Longsword attack: The Finishing Blow

Notes :
Excellent training thread Ricky, its was also interesting to see Ricky interact with his father. :)

If you have any comments/questions/concerns about your grade please PM me and we will work something out.

Keep on writing!
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook