Completed Rolling Is Just As Good As Dodging

Ricky learns the perks of Rolling and Evading in this session, along with a few other things in the process. Can rolling be as useful in a fight?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Rolling Is Just As Good As Dodging

Postby Ricky Maze on July 26th, 2013, 11:07 am

Rolling Is Just A Good As Dodging
Summer 34th 513 AV; 9th Bell

Their session had begun bright and early this morning, since the hot days didn't seem to quit in the city of Zeltiva. Neither Ricky nor Burt could ever remember the city ever feeling as hot as it's been lately, almost to the point where Ricky himself was suffering heat strokes. Of course he had been suffering from many side effects lately due nature of Telion's pregnancy, not that the family was aware his symptoms were related to it anyhow. Today though the morning had started warm and was slowly on the rise, as the sun shone bright to bring the heat to the city of Zeltiva as well as the rest of Mathew's Bay. "Yer kiddin!" Ricky chuckled in disbelief at his fathers words, apparently though the man spoke seriously.

"Rolling around may not accomplish much, but when you need to evade the enemy it helps when you've enough experience to know how to. You'd be surprised with how many fighters that learn to roll back away when faced with a dangerous foe." Burt lectured him with arms crossed. "You'll start off simple today, but then it'll get a bit more difficult. Not only will you be practicing rolls, but jumps as well."

"Why jumps though? I'm better off takin' a blow with a shield."

"Not all blows are blockable with shields, henceforth you would do well to learn how to evade by means of side jumps and dodge rolls son." Burt reassured him as he went to the twelve o'clock position of the circle. "We'll have you practice forward rolls, then back rolls to get the feel of them. Stand at the side of the circle over there, then we can official consider today's session started."

Ricky went to the nine o'clock side of the circle and faced the other side, a sigh came from him as he found this to be a ridiculous method of training. Yet it actually did serve a useful purpose, even if he wouldn't "dodge roll" like his father predicted he would still get a good workout from this. Ricky leaned forward with a bit of a throw in his lean to pull him down the ground, left shoulder side of his back to first to make contact with the sand as he went in for a roll that ended with him on his heels and then his feet just as quickly. "One." He whispered to himself as he went in for another roll, the movements repeated as he felt the world go upside down then normal in an instant. "Two." He kept his face down low, eyes where his feet were as he went forward into another. "Three." Once again he went into another roll that ended with his feet on the ground once more, head a little dizzy from the drop motions that repeated. "Four." He was almost to the other side, after the next roll he would see rocks that made the border of the circle. "Five."

"Now back roll to the other side." Burt instructed him to do.

Ricky looked up to the skies and sighed. "Yer killin' me 'ere." He muttered under his breath, as he looked behind himself to brace for anything unexpected. Ricky let his knees buckle as he went down and onto his tush, he used the momentum his body gained when it descended to throw himself onto his back when his arse made contact with the sand, and in turn that caused him to pull his legs inward as he performed a back roll to his feet in a crouched position.

"Brings back memories doesn't it." Burt blurted out as Ricky did his second one. He stood for a moment and looked to his father when he recollected the memory he referred to.

"I've not rolled 'round since I was eight." He commented with a smug grin, his third backroll next to follow as his father continued.

"You started when you were first walkin' 'round, couldn't get you to stop when I tried and then one day you just stopped. You were crazy 'bout rollin' in the sand." He reminisced as Ricky went into his fourth.

"I don't remember why I quit," He pulled back into the fifth and last back roll with a bit of a stagger as his head spun a little, "but I think I've an idea." He mused to his father.

"Heh, I think you just grew out of it like all boys do. Now roll again." He pointed to the other side, and Ricky smile came to be a testive one right quick.

"Think me boy will roll 'round like I did? Or girl if I have one?" He inquired curiously just before he started the first roll.

"Probably, kids have a habit of doin' what their parents do. They pick up on the parent's habits and follow along, because they're more studious when it comes to their role model." He explained as he recalled all the things Ricky did when he was young.

"So ya sayin' the fact I'm rollin' 'round now is gonna derermine whether or not me child does it in the future?" He asked but in a joking manner, one that made Burt laugh a little. The fourth roll came next, and soon afterwards the fifth.

"No not like that, a parent has to demonstrate somethin' to their child. Their kid may develope similiar traits dependin' on the parent, but overall that child's behavior is more influenced by the parents teachings."

Ricky turned to Burt with an inquisitive look. "Teachin's?"

"As a parent your an inspiration to the child, they look to you for guidance and knowledge because they're naturally curious." Ricky nodded in agreement there, it did make sense seeing how he felt the same about Burt. "A mother and a father are like gods to the eyes of a child son, they will always think the best of you even when you think otherwise." Ricky thought it odd how that made sense, and even worse it made him nervous. To be thought so highly of by the one thing you brought into this world, it put a lot of pressure on Ricky just worrying about it. Thus when he shuddered at the thought, he went into the next set of backrolls to finish the second round.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on July 28th, 2013, 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on July 26th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Ricky finished his fourth set of rolls now, his back tired from the work he put it through as he started to finally grasp the concept. Though rolling was hardly useful it still gave that one vantange point one needed, and even more Burt planned to teach him another technique that could turn that vantange to his favor when he had grasped today's concept of training. When he finished his five back rolls he wiped his brow with his left arm to try and clear the sweat off, however that hardly helped with the sand that clung to his skin from the excessive rolling. "Good. You have the basic principle down, so you're ready to practice your jumps." Burt came to the middle of the circle now, eyes on Ricky as he began hid demonstrative lecture. "You may think evading yer opponents attacks may involve dodging blows Ricky, but when you face an attack you can't block that would make evasion difficult, sometimes a simple jump," Burt kicked off the ground and flung over to the right several feet as he landed on the ground with a grunt, "is all you need." He exhaled after he landed, already headed back to the northern side of the circle.

"So I'm to do side jumps then?" He checked as he made his way to the center of the circle, and then faced his father right after.

"Just side jumps my boy, unless you can do backflips as well." He quirked with a smirk to his son, Ricky did a sarcastic laugh of course and positioned his feet at outward angles from his body. It took him a few chimes to physically prepare himself, but after his steady pants became even more calm he finally focused on the direction his kick would take off. Once he felt the pressure in the correct spots under his feet he applied the kick that would push him off the ground, and projected off ground over to his left a few feet until finally the ground came to meet with his feet once again. However Ricky couldn't hold himself steady as his equilibrium failed to catch up with his body, and so he went tumbling over into the sand and laid on his back with groans of shame.

Burt laughed hard when he saw this, he practically couldn't stop until Ricky sat up to glare accusingly at his old man. "That shyke actually hurt ya know." He snapped with a wry smile of his own, the laughter welled up inside him to an unstoppable force that couldn't be held back. Both of them ended up laughing to tears for a good few chimes, Ricky finally found the ability to stand on his feet again when the moment passed.

"You are better at defending then evading." Burt mused with another small laugh.

"Told ya." Ricky tilted his head to Burt when he said this, his focus on the position of his feet as he prepared for another attempt.

"It'll get easier for you, trust me on that." Burt reassured him as he stood up and approached Ricky, he stood directly in front of the guard with a grin on his face. "Here, watch closely." He demonstrated the jump from earlier once more, only this time close enough to see that he used his right leg to propel to Ricky's left. When Ricky took notice of that, he put more pressure on his left leg and pushed off with the kick. Which sent him flying left once more, only this time with a bit more control in his feet when he landed on both feet at once. He stumbled a bit of course but his attempt didn't end in utter failure like earlier, and sure enough Ricky looked to find a triumphant smile on his fathers face. "That's all there is to it son, now practice switching between left and right twenty times and you'll get more of a feel for the jumps." Burt returned to his usual spot and sat down once more, observant as his son pushed off into a right side jump using his right leg more. He could make the jump and cover a few feet as necessary, but he had to get use to the exertion of stamina the method required when one did this. His legs and feet were already starting to feel sore from this part of the workout, and the morning heat was still on the rise as time passed.

Ricky would continue his jumps and think upon how useful they could be in a fight, and as he would do so he would fixate upon the applied points of pressure on his feet when he kicked off into the next jump.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on July 27th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Ricky's gasps were slow but they were clear signs that he was tired, he had made it to his eighteenth jump and his feet, ankles, leg muscles, thighs muscles, and back muscles all felt tense from their workout. His stamina definitely exerted more than yesterday's workout, he felt the need to just crash in a bed and call the rest of today a day. Alas he hadn't the time, the sun was nearly at it's peak. It was the time of the day where Syna would warm Mizahar the most, her sun rays would kiss the world that she greeted with her bright rays until the later bells where she would rest and Leth would soon follow in his turn. "Just two more..." He urged himself as he pushed off into his next jump, the pound of his feet on the sand sent aches throughout his arches and ankles. "Why don't we come back later, we'll finish up the lesson tonight when you finish patrol." Burt suggested as Ricky panted, his body completely drenched in his.own sweat.

"I think I've got down the basics of this jump scheme." He admitted with a bit of a accomplished expression. His father raised an eyebrow at this, curiosity present in his face as waited to hear what Ricky had to say. "Here I wondered why ye had me doin' rolls earlier, and then out of the blue I'm practicin' jumps to follow." He spoke inbetween breaths. "This isn't just an evasive trainin' session. Yer startin' me on somethin', another technique that ya plan to teach."

"Yes, but this technique isn't somethin' your ready for. Not just yet. We'll resume it the day after tomorrow though I promise, you need to get home so you can relax and your body can rest before you work." Burt picked up Ricky's vest and handed it to him, a firm look was on his face as he did so.

"Aight... aight." Ricky cooperated unwillingly. He wanted to get this training done, to be able to learn and do eveything Burt intended to teach him. It was something that took time of course, time that Ricky felt was slipping from him. The father and son both returned to the city soon after, and Ricky would spend the rest of his day feeling regretably sore all over.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on August 16th, 2013, 1:19 am

Ricky :
Skills
Acrobatics +3

Lores
-Parents inspire their children

Notes :
Nothing to note.

If you have any comments/questions/concerns about your grade please PM me and we will work something out.

Keep on writing!
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook