Closed Damsel in Distress [Shahar]

Rue finds herself in a sticky situation

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Damsel in Distress [Shahar]

Postby Naiya on September 18th, 2013, 12:56 am

Rue
Rue grimaced as he pulled himself up on her arm, clenching her teeth to keep from making a pained sound. She was not in good shape, but he seemed worse off than herself so she shifted closer so that she could take more of his weight if needed. Behind her the bird called again, seeming to have taken an honest interest in the the two victors.

She turned to snap at the creature, hopefully scaring it into flight, but it took off on it's own, moving away, but only slightly. What an odd creature, she thought, watching as it turned back to survey the two again, looking almost as though she was waiting for a response. From the corner of her eye she caught the movement of the man's hands, something that was becoming harder and harder to do in the poor light. Something about topaz and between?

Maybe that he lived on the border of two clans? Before she could decide, he moved, walking in the direction the bird had moved. Did he know the creature? Some sort of pet maybe. She shot the creature another glance as they moved slowly towards it, watching for a sign that it had been trained, or that it was familiar to the man.

It moved again as they approached, though their advance was slow, and waited for them to arrive before moving again. She turned to look at the man who hovered uncertainly over her arm, and sure enough he seemed to want to follow the bird.

With a last glance at her things scattered in the dirt behind them she steeled herself to follow the man and bird, with only a half thought prayer that her things would be waiting for her when she returned.
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Khida on September 21st, 2013, 10:43 am

Khida felt recognition from the hunter, which suggested that he at least knew what she was about. The woman looked up towards her, pale face clearly discernible, though even the falcon could not now make out the details of her expression. Most clear of all was the two of them following behind the falcon's lead; she cheeped approvingly at the woman, then took off again.

Once the two Drykas had been following for a while, Khida left off her sporadic perches and simply remained aloft; as the sky continued to darken, she found it ever harder to distinguish the wood from the night, even at close ranges. Flying the open sky at night, to travel a distance, was one thing; staying low here, where she knew there were obstacles not so very far below her, was... disconcerting. Fortunately, the tents themselves were beginning to glow softly, as those within lit lanterns and braziers; that at least provided the falcon with an indication of what level she needed to stay above. A thread of impatience rose -- it would be nice if the humans walked faster... so they could be away from the tents and done... but they didn't, and she couldn't really make them. The echo of her bondmate's state, ever-present on the edge of her awareness, didn't make the Kelvic any happier either.

At least he was well, for values of 'well'.

With the humans moving so much slower than she, the falcon settled into tracing an ellipse above and around them. The long axis of the curve, she angled towards the little camp which was their destination -- two tents, two horses, and the snake-man who by the time they arrived might even already have retired to sleep...
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Colt on September 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

It was easier to remain aware of his surroundings now, and once his feet were under him then his gait was stronger, albeit a bit jagged and uneven. He subconsciously kept a hand clasped to the woman’s arm, though his grip was loose and could be easily shaken off if she was so inclined.

He followed his bondmate to her next perch, then to another; she knew the way out of the city, and with every new corner hope shone more brightly in his chest. He was going to get out.

He knew that pavilion. The strange one, with tapestries on the outside of the sky and birds. And that one, the one with mud spattered on one side. He had been here before. Yes… yes, he knew where he was!

Shahar stopped just as Khida abandoned her tent-hopping for an almost-circular loop above them. He turned to the woman who had supported him, immense thanks in his posture. He wasn’t sure he could fully express his gratitude, but he was inexplicably wary of venturing any farther; he knew where his camp was, and it would feel far too strange to bring her in at this time of night. Besides, he was sure she had a place of her own that she would rather be at.

I know now, he said, I am alright. I am able. He paused, taking a deep breath. I am… “Shahar.” The word was as soft as a breeze from his lips, reminiscent of wind rattling through grass. Hardly more than a whisper, but audible in the quiet of the night. “Dawnwhisper.” That was what people did to those they were grateful to, wasn’t it? Introduce themselves? How can I repay you?
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Naiya on September 27th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Rue
The man stopped, turning of his own strength without the help of her own. She responded to his unspoken words in kind, signing relief at his well being and reassurance that his thanks were not needed. She even returned her own name, her voice strained only slightly by the pain in her back.

Then he spoke of repayment for her help, and her demeanor changed from happy relief to one that spoke of darker thoughts. Her head at his words, seeming almost distressed at his offer. Her shoulders drooped and her hands curled in towards her body even as they signed her thoughts. "You have already resc- helped me this evening. I could not ask more." The thought of what he had saved her from chilled her. Were things so desperate now, that force seemed an acceptable way to seek a wife to bear children? To not have noticed that things had become so desperate, she may well have walked into a fight bound at hand and foot.

She came back to the present with a shiver and the dark lines of ink at her shoulder and neck became visible for the briefest moment as her clothing resettled against her body. She looked more closely at him, at Shahar, who had fought back his own troubles in order to intervene in her fate.

"I should be the one asking how I may repay my debt to you." Her hands struggled to express the depth of her grattitude, moving through signs as quickly as she spoke.
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khida on September 28th, 2013, 11:12 am

The humans moved even slower still when they stopped altogether. Khida continued to circle the two vague, pale forms on the ground below, her frustration gathering as they lingered. The timbre of the bond said he was still well, improving, perhaps even entirely improved -- intent, focus, relief. That kept her frustration from budding into renewed concern.

The falcon didn't know what passed between them when they stopped, not when they both spoke in gesture; she could not even see the signs save as hints of motion. She wanted to go on ahead, to seek out the camp and settle into her roost, to let the weight of the night shutter her eyelids and draw her down into sleep. But an even stronger imperative kept sleep resolutely at bay; the Kelvic needed to see her bondmate home and well and safe from whatever had sparked his distress.

Then they could both sleep. But first... first they had to get there.

Unaware of Shahar's caution towards bringing the near-stranger to camp, indifferent to the socially mandated exchange of gratitude, Khida continued to hang in the air above them, wings rasping against the dark. Giving voice to her irritation at their delay, she interrupted the near-total silence of their conversation with a series of insistent chiits. What was taking them so long...?
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Colt on October 10th, 2013, 11:18 pm

The woman frowned at his signs, though Shahar had no idea why. Then she continued with words of her own, assuring him that repayment was not at all necessary and that she should be asking the question of him. He shook his head, no, no, enough, support, thank you, nothing else needed.

Impatience stirred across the bond, heralding the susurrus of wings in the night followed by a demanding vocalization. Yes, returning to camp sounded very appealing, and the woman had asserted that she expected nothing else from him. There was no reason to linger any longer.

I must leave now, he said, gratitude still tinting his signs. Farewell. Be safe.

He gave a small nod of respect and turned, more than eager to return to the place that was his home. A swell of affection went up to Khida as she hovered overhead, and he looked up even though the darkness kept her from his vision.

Let's go home.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Naiya on October 12th, 2013, 1:27 am

Rue
He signed quickly, his words echoing with finality. He was, it seemed now, eager to be rid of her.

Be safe. Her hands echoed as he turned, and she lingered to watch the odd pair leave, though darkness kept her from being able to see them long. He seemed well enough now, the man who had helped her, Shahar, and he had assured her he expected nothing in return for his aid.

She turned then, the pavilions around her lit from within showed the colors of the ruby clan, nearly opposite the city from the Amethyst clan. It was not really a bother though, for it gave her the chance to see if the men were gone and if her things remained.

She retraced her path, rather erroneously for she had truly been following the bird, until she recognized the path she walked from work. Her heart began to beat rapidly as she approached the alley, fear and adrenalin mixing as she peaked around the corner.

The alley was empty but for her things, forgotten in the dirt. Quickly she moved to them, placing the bracer and glove on her arm and hand, and lifting the two cloth bundles into her arms. Irrational fear quickened her steps and she kept the speed until she reached home although her fear dissipated as she moved away from the scene.

Quietly she passed through the entrance to the pavilion, careful not to wake anyone, and entered the sectioned off area that was hers. Not even bothering with undressing, and knowing that she would pay for the events of the evening later she fell into bed with only the thought in her mind that she hoped that Shahar had made it home safely.

oocI don't have anything more to add, if either of you wants to add more, if not, I'd say this is ready for grading.
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 9th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Khida
Skills :
+2 Land Navigation
+2 Observation

Lore :
Bond: Need For Open Skies
Humans Walk Slower Then Flight
Bond: Need for Shahar’s Safety

Rue Nightsong
Skills :
+2 Brawling
+2 unarmed Combat
+2 Rhetoric
+2 Socialization
+3 Observation

Lore :
Archery:The Importance of a Bracer Advantage over Drunken Men Disadvantage of being Injured
Glass Mugs Make Good Clubs
From Rescued to Rescuer
Dangers of Leaving Posessions Unattended
Shahar’s Gratitude
Things Bad Enough To Excuse Force
No Need For Payment For Help

Shahar Dawnwhisper
Skills :
+2 Brawling
+1 Unarmed Combat
+2 Rhetoric
+3 Observation
+2 Socialization

Lores :
Craving The Open Sky
Desire For Khida’s Arms
Need For Slow Breathing To Ease Dizziness.
From Rescuer to Rescued
Bond: Comfort and Need of Khida
Payment Not Needed For Help
Bond: Khida’s Impatience

Notes :
Awesome thread guys. Khida I loved how you managed to make posts that might have been otherwise peripheral to the story substantive and imperative to the story. The bond between Khida and Shahar has become even more alive for me after reading this. I gave you land navigation because you were attempting to help lead Rue the right direction, and I wasn't sure if Tracking was available even though Khida did find Shahar in the city she didn't actually use Tracking lore.

Rue you got both Brawling and Unarmed because you blended both a knowledge of how to hit to cause damage but also used what was around you (I.E. the glass mug). I enjoyed how you didn't forget that Rue also had wounds from previous issues in the fight.

SHahar, you got brawling..you turned into an animal and the imagery was vivid. Wunderbar! I also, like with Khida, bow to the greatness of your and her mastery of the Bond between kelvic and Human.

This was my very first grade. So please if you have any questions just give me a PM. Thanks for the read! Also don't forget to delete/edit your post in grader request thread.

Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous