Completed [Training Grounds] Old Dog, New Tricks

Jantys, face someone in combat?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Training Grounds] Old Dog, New Tricks

Postby Jantys Vane on August 13th, 2013, 3:27 am

Season of Summer, Day 63, 513 AV

Jantys cleared his throat, trying to show a calm demeanor, remembering to keep good posture in his heavy armor as he stood in the Training Grounds. He had been training by himself, but according to the knights, he wasn't making 'efficient progress'. He, quite simply, needed help to learn more. They suggested he get into a few duels, and get a taste of a true battle.

Which made Jantys pretty petching nervous. He had gotten into scrapes before, plenty of them, but he didn't want to embarrass himself anymore. Still, it was inevitable, and it's not like they expected much out of him anyways; he was an overweight, aging man in the armor of the young and fit. He would have to do it eventually, he told himself, and they were right; it WAS the best way to improve his skills. So get off your petching ass and do it!

Summoning his courage, not exactly looking where he was going (or even sure what he was doing), he turns, drawing his blade, and points at an utterly random part of the Training Grounds. "I challenge you to a spar!" His voice is surprisingly steady. Surprising to Jantys, at least, who takes some small amount of courage from it, trying not to look nervous. You're a grown man, so prepare to fight like one you sissy. Then he actually opens his eyes to see who, if anyone, he was looking at. Wouldn't it be my luck if I pointed at a wall? Or a senior knight? Which would be worse?
Last edited by Jantys Vane on August 14th, 2013, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jantys Vane
Disgruntled Squire

Words: 34358
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 14th, 2013, 2:59 am

OOCRemember to time stamp this thread. ;) .

Markus couldn't help but laugh when a fellow knight he had grown up with retold the story of how he had once shot an insane mage in the buttocks when he had been a squire. The story never got old. The man caught Markus' eye almost the second he walked into the training area. Although years of getting his ass handed to him had taught Markus not to judge someone by their appearance. Still, Markus had a hard time believing this man was a knight. But he looked too old to be a squire, way past the prime of his youth. Markus had just been hanging out in the training area, looking at the next generation of squires training and talking to some of the older knights. He only had his sword with him but wore his armour, the shield was in his room. It almost felt like a second skin to him these days.

The man surprised Markus when he drew his sword and pointed it in Markus' direction. Well, technically it was aimed at the wall a foot next to Markus. But the words that accompanied the odd gesture made Markus raise his right eyebrow. Wondering if this squire was being serious. Still. Markus found it quite humourous and decided to in turn, humour the unknown man.

"Challenge accepted." Markus said as he drew his sword. "Name's Markus Andres. Knight." Markus held out his left hand for the strange man to shake. Before stepping back and holding the sword up diagonally out from him in both hands. Allowing the strange man the first attack.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Jantys Vane on August 14th, 2013, 4:03 am

OOCWoops, my bad. Edited.

Jantys' eyes widen a moment (after actually opening them, of course), but he manages to keep a cool countenance. The man he had challenged actually WAS a knight. That was... Well, it was unfortunate in that Jantys was certainly going to lose, but he probably would have lost to a fellow squire, anyways. At least maybe he could learn some moves off a real knight.

Jantys stepped forward slightly and shook his hand, the movement breaking away the ice-thin glamour of courage, and he steps back just looking nervous. This man looks ten years my junior. He eyes the man's heavy armor and obvious physical ability as the knight takes his stance. ...Still, I know better than anyone it's not the years, it's the mileage. And he sure as hell has a lot more of that then I do.

Taking a deep breath, he takes a ready stance, pulling the shield off his back. He knew that the knight didn't have a shield (of course), but frankly the elder squire figured he needed every advantage he could get. Feet far apart, with his blade and shield in front of him, he fixes his eyes on his opponent, or really, his opponent's weapon. Not the most advanced stance, and even then, his form is hardly impeccable.

It was at this point he realized the knight was waiting for a response, both by sword and in words. He summons up his courage (wasn't that reclusive virtue seeing a lot of use today?). "Jantys Vane. Squire." He then steps forward and swings with a heavy vertical chop, not thinking much about strategy, just hoping to get this started without embarrassing himself.
Jantys Vane
Disgruntled Squire

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 15th, 2013, 1:40 am

Markus might not be the best judge of character. After all, he had failed to notice that Savitaire had been an enormous snake. But the squire before him did not look very confident. Had he seen Markus fight before or was he just unsure of himself. In any case, Markus found the man interesting. A bit peculiar, perhaps, but that just added to the mystery.

The squire didn't need much encouragement to start the fight. His first attack was a simple one and Markus could read the attack. His counter was equally simple. Markus would step forward and intercept the blade with his own and redirect it to Markus' left side. With the sword down and checked by Markus' won sword; he would take several quick steps forward and gain momentum for his right shoulder to slam directly into Vane's shield. Hopefully knocking him back and away from the knight. Markus was testing the squire. Judging how he handled the shield and sword combination.

"Who's your patron, Vane?" Markus said stepping away from the squire and beginning to slowly move to the right. Intending to circle the squire. To an outsider and perhaps mostly to Vane, it might look like Markus was just playing with him. There was a grain of truth in that, but any lesson Markus could impact on the squire now, might save his life later.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Jantys Vane on August 15th, 2013, 1:55 am

Jantys winced as his blade was parried, easily knocked aside by the stronger knight's strike. He raises his shield, more out of reflex then anything else, and a shoulder smacks into it, knocking him back. His stance, rather unsteady after the parried blow, almost causes him to topple over, and he staggers back. A second or two of panicked movement later and he stood tall again, back in his stance (maybe a changed).

Jantys watched Markus with wide eyes, his mouth open and taking deeper breathes, adjusting his grip on his sword as he followed the slowly circling knight, his shield outstretched. "My patron...?" He blinks, then remembers. "A friend of my family accepted me as my 'patron'. He didn't think I'd last very long, so he hasn't been bothering with anything other than basic advice..." Talking was distracting, and the circling was making him nervous. He follows the other knight diligently, waiting for him to make a move.
Jantys Vane
Disgruntled Squire

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 18th, 2013, 2:49 am

"You will address a higher ranking knight as ser when you talk to them." Markus said sternly. It was a simple reminder and there was no anger in Markus' voice. It was common for new squires to forget to address higher ranking knights as ser. It usually took a couple of weeks before it came naturally. To Markus, it had taken a lot longer. But he had also been a punk back in those days. The words of the squire themselves did concern Markus though. After the war in the east, Markus had begun to grow concerned with some of the leaders in the syliran knights. Some of them seemed... Lax about their duties and others seemed downright incompetent. The patron in question here, was of the former. Ignoring his duties because of personal belief. Markus would have to do something about this, unless the knight was a superior, then he'd best keep his mouth shut or try and bypass him and find that man's superiors.

"When did you join the Order?" Markus asked. He would let the squire respond before doing any further action. But he didn't stop the incessant circling. Trying to unnerve the squire and crack his mental armour.

The young knight looked deep in thought as he circled the squire. Contemplating how to handle the situation. When without much warning, he suddenly lunged forward. Markus mirrored the squire's first attack. An overhead chop down at the squire's left shoulder. An attack that would never hit the squire as it was merely a feint. Instead of actually completing the downward chop, Markus would draw his arms back so it fell short of the target. The goal was simple, have the squire raise the shield up to block the attack. Markus would then thrust the sword directly into the opening now created at the belly of the opponent. A simple tactic. Should the squire show himself adept and foresee the feint and not raise the shield. Markus would just stab at the squire's sword hand. A quick thrust to stun the hand and test the squire's grip on his sword.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Jantys Vane on August 18th, 2013, 3:16 am

Jantys watched him circle, trying to focus. "...Sorry, ser. It won't happen again, ser." He felt ridiculous referring to a younger man by such a title, but he supposed it was a little late to be worried about looking ridiculous. He keeps his shield raised to his neck, watching Markus while he circles, waiting for the eventual strike that would no doubt leave Jantys on his back.

"Beginnin' of summer, or more like, end a'- of springe, ser," he responds, feeling a little ashamed. He had been a squire for two months already, and yet he was getting schooled like a novice. Now more than ever, he wished he had learned more. Guess this is your time to l- His thoughts were interrupted by a chop from the opposing knight.

Jantys raised his shield like a fool, wincing in anticipation of the strike that would never hit his shield. Thinking quickly, he realizes he had just been had, and wildly does the first thing that comes to mind; he swings out with his shield arm, attempting to bash the other knight in the face. Then he takes the blade to the chest like a fool, stumbling back a few steps, biting his lip. That will bruise.
Jantys Vane
Disgruntled Squire

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 22nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Markus had seen the attempt to strike back at him with the shield. It was futile, his reach was much shorter than Markus' sword. But it was the right idea, utilizing the shield as more than a simple defensive tool. Markus was a very aggressive fighter, the armour afforded him some leeway when it came to defence, so he often used both shield and sword as an offensive weapon. The armour afforded the same leeway for the squire. For had he not worn the armour, Markus would have impaled him on the sword. Quite simply. The squire stumbled back and Markus contemplating pursuing him and finish the fight. But ended up deciding against such a tactic.

"You have quick reactions. They're just the wrong ones. Protecting against the feint was good. Textbook defence. But when you found out it was a feint, what in the name of Sylir did you think a shield bash would accomplish?" Markus asked. His voice firm, but not impatient. The squire needed to know when he did something silly and learn from his mistakes. He would wait for an explanation from the squire. Markus had all the time in the world when it came to training squires.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Jantys Vane on August 22nd, 2013, 9:12 pm

Jantys straightened up a bit, using the reprieve to fix his stance, which had become stupidly unbalanced during the battle. He shrugs a bit, understanding he had done nothing effective, but taking the criticism with equanimity. "To be honest, ser, I wasn't too sure, m'self." He rolls his shoulders a bit, watching him in case he tries to sneak an attack during the conversation.

"I guess, I'm more used to tavern brawls than swordfighting. Um, ser. And in a brawl, if you find yourself with a blunt instrument in your hand, you smash 'em with it, ser. I reacted on reflex, like y'said." Curious, he inquires further. "What should ah-I've done? If I may ask, ser." Dimly, he tries to recall swordfighting lessons from his page days, but if he knew what to do against such a maneuver, he didn't remember it now.
Jantys Vane
Disgruntled Squire

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 26th, 2013, 11:56 pm

Honesty, at the least the squire had honesty. He had not youth, nor the skills for a proper knight. At least he had honesty. To be frank and not use some silly excuse. It was bad habits from his life in the bars. Which made Markus wonder if Vane was one of those drunkards he always saw when he was at the bar. Markus shrugged the thought away and scratched his bare chin when the squire asked Markus to teach him.

"What you should have done?" Markus took a deep breath. The squire might not be happy to hear what Markus had to say. It would be a good way to judge his character, would he graciously accept the critique or would he get angry and dismiss Markus. If he got angry and dismissal, Markus would reconsider teaching him.

"In this particular case, you had several choices. You could have stepped forward with your shield raised. Intercepted my attack before the feint. I couldn't have pulled my sword back for the feint. Would have left me open for a counter attack. You could have retreated when you saw I attacked or after my sword didn't connect to your raised shield. But I noticed you winced when I attacked. Don't wince. Just don't. Weakens your defence and diverts your attention from the opponent. It was a simple solid advice, except it was infinitely hard to do something about. Wincing before an attack often took years to train out of a squire.

"Let me show you the first one. Raise your shield and step forward with your left leg. So you intercept my attack before I can pull back the blade." Markus took a step back. Gave the squire a second to understand what he was to do and then Markus stepped in. Sword coming down hard from above. Markus' eyes were on the squire. Waiting to see if he winced. Markus didn't bother with the feinting manoeuvre this time. The squire was to learn intercepting enemy attacks often left them exposed to a counter attack.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Next