Flashback A Lesson In Tongues

Against her will, Kaie's great-grandmother introduces her to Common

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

A Lesson In Tongues

Postby Kaie on August 16th, 2013, 3:58 am

Timestamp: 4th of Fall, 503 AV

Disclaimer:Sorry for the blandness here. Working solely to improve Common.

Is there a harsher word to describe her situation as utterly miserable? Boring to death might've been another good description. Kaie was thinking of other ways to convey her displeasure, when a gust of wind within the house caused the smoke to change its course. The cloud of black smog swung into her face, causing her to gag a bit. She waved her hand in front of her and closed her eyes. She coughed twice before the smoke has resettled how it should, billowing up through the hole in the ceiling. Kaie hadn't a guess as to which God or Goddess had sent the annoyance at her, but she assumed it was for her disrespect. When a kid just wants to return to their playmates and learn their clan skills, can anyone really blame them?

Kaie's great-grandmother, Ukla, was a wrinkled woman. Not quite nearly as ancient looking as her great-great grandmother, but still unmistakably old. Her skin was like Kaie's but a little darker. It was loose around the edges of her body and reminded Kaie much of the sap oozing down a tree. Though somehow behind the curses of old age, she was a pleasant woman to the eyes. Her close lipped smile was always warm and welcoming. Her eyes were bright and kind but Kaie feared them when her anger came. The gentle voice would leave and her eyes would darken like clouds over Syna. Her grey and white hair was braided down her back fashionably. One could see the tattoos that covered her arms and a single snake head that trailed just to her collarbone. It's fanged were wide open and hungry like they were about to pierce her throat. It was a satirical take on how their clan functioned and a reminder of the enemy. Dhanis were her clan's greatest foe and it was considered a great honor to slay one. As custom, they'd skin the beast and hang it from the trees just outside their domain. A warning to any other surviving members still lurking in the trees.

Yet today her kin was not here to give advice on hunting Dhanis. She had a much more uninteresting lesson in mind. Common. Kaie practically groaned when she heard the news. Why did she need to know the barbarian tongue? They were the lesser. The impure. Shouldn't they learn the tongue of the Goddess Queen? Of course all of that was easily countered when the old woman brought up Kaie's pilgrimage. Something she had declared from a young age she would do. Naturally she would need to communicate with the people she wasn't trying to kill.

Kaie sighed and looked at the woman sitting cross legged in front of her. Waiting for the torturous hour to begin. She could only hope time would pass quickly.

"You must know the words from the lips and the paper, Kaie. This is important," The woman said with a deep frown to convey her seriousness. Kaie practically rolled her eyes and fought the urge not to turn and stomp out of the longhouse. Had she wanted a brutal beating for her disrespect, she would've done just that.

"I don't understand why you can't just teach me a few phrases and call it a day," She argued weakly, searching hopelessly for a way to prevent another lesson in the future when this one ended. The woman was not amused.

"Long before your time when every clan member made a pilgrimage, the matriarch of those days had lost two of her children to the barbarian lands. Her mate crossed the sea to search for them. He returned two years later after finding out the fate of his children. You know how they died?"

"No, but I'm feeling you're about to tell me..."

Last edited by Kaie on November 2nd, 2013, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Lesson In Tongues

Postby Kaie on November 2nd, 2013, 9:34 pm

"Miscommunication. Now, quit your insolence and pay attention. Your lesson begins. Let's start with the basics," The old woman said sharply, subtly reminding the young girl to know her place. Suddenly it clicked, and Kaie cursed herself for not keeping her tongue in better check. Ukla stared at her with those black, steely eyes of hers from across the crackling fire. And this time Kaie held her tongue and nodded a solemn agreement. So began her introduction to Common.

Several Bells Later...

"He Lo. Nam Kaie," She struggled out, eyes narrowed and brow pulled together in deep concentration. It was hard for her to have focused for so long in an area that she had little interest. Then again, she did if only to retain what Ukla said. The last thing she wanted was for the old woman to be angry with her. Plus, if Common was so important to know, she might as well get to know it. Apparently her first solo attempt at a sentence wasn't up to Ukla's par.

"Goddess sake, girl! Do you listen? At least you got your name right," The woman growled at her at swatted at her from across the fire."Try again and listen this time! You say it like this," Ukla said, clearing her throat and straightening up to prepare to switch tongues on the fly.
"Hello. My name is."

Kaie nodded again and mirrored the woman. She sat up straighter and rested her palms on her thighs, licked her lips before continuing. This time she nailed it verbatim. Ukla almost cracked a smile, bringing Kaie to the assumption she had correct pronunciation as well. And so it continued. Ukla would state a sentence or a phrase and Kaie would repeat it several times. They went over the basics. Hellos and goodbyes, simple and frequently used phrases. All was extremely basic for her first day. She wasn't really doing too terribly the more she spoke. Maybe Common wasn't so bad after all. At least some of it was sticking...

"Hold on. Where will others know this language? Who are Common people?" She asked a little confused, realizing she didn't know much about the people outside the jungle. All she knew was Dhani, Myrian, Charboda, Nuit, and Kelvic. The stories of humans and blue people across the Suvan were just that. Stories.

"Outside our jungles, across the sea. There is not one people of Common, Kaie. They are many and live in many worlds. Not all speak Common but even fewer speak Myrian. It's easier to find Common tongue than Myrian outside Falyndar. This is why you must know," Ukla answered, thin and wrinkled lips pressing in a hard line. Her bony fingers extended to feel the heat from the flames, bringing a veil of silence between young and old for a tick or so.

Myrian Common

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A Lesson In Tongues

Postby Kaie on November 2nd, 2013, 10:07 pm

The old woman sat there for some time with her hands outstretched across the fire. Yet there was something in her eyes as she moved them from fire to child. A silent offering. And as she waited there, Kaie discovered Ukla was giving her a way out. The question was whether or not she wanted it. She could see Keikyo waiting somewhere in the jungle, spear in his hand, waiting for her to return to him. The thought almost brought a smile to her face. Her mind was made up.

"Teach me more, Grandmother," She said with a little more enthusiasm than she began. What brought on the sudden change of heart was unknown to the conflicted child. Was it the stories about the people, the prospect of people outside Falyndar? There was a huge possibility Kaie would never leave her jungle home let alone her clan lands. Still, what if she ever met such people? Deyhan? What would she do? The answer brought a wide smile across the face of the elder.

"We go for another bell. And then I will test you. If you pass the test, you may go back to your cousin. If not..."

"Okay. I'll do it," Kaie answered before the woman could elaborate on the consequences, which she expected would be another chime of learning. She found herself fidgeting in her position, switching from cross-legged to sitting up on her knees. Her muscles flexed and unflexed, growing antsy from the idleness. It seemed her body craved exercise more than her mind. Yet Kaie willed herself to concentrate just for one more bell. Just one more. And then she'd be freed into the rain forest once again.

"And stop being so uptight when you say words, girl. Speak it, don't pronounce every single word separately from the rest. All together. You think you can do that?"

A nod from Kaie and the lesson returned, bringing with it a new high bar set for language. It was clear Ukla wouldn't go easy on her now that she made the mistake of agreeing to learn. Already the woman was speaking Common like she had known it all her like. The words were quick, fluid, and fit together nicely. The Myrian girl's eyes widened when she began, and immediately she her best to translate in her mind. The problem was she couldn't do it fast enough. It wasn't really her fault. She just learned the words and it sounded like some of them were new. Was it possible Ukla was trying to make her figure some of it out herself? All in all, the test didn't seem to be in her favor after all. A sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach told Kaie she had made a grave mistake.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A Lesson In Tongues

Postby Kaie on November 3rd, 2013, 12:47 am

Just as the old woman warned, the test finally came. And Kaie felt wildly unprepared even if the curriculum was very small that first lesson. Regardless, Ukla expected the promise to be honored and Kaie wasn't one to go back on her word. Without even a tick to mentally review, Common was hurled at her with surprising fluency.

Guess I'll be speaking Common the rest of the damn day won't I?

"Hello," Kaie answered as a last resort after comprehending nothing just said to her. It was too fast and she was being so left behind before the conversation started. Ukla frowned deeply at her response but said nothing, forcing Kaie to improvise."My. Name. Kaie. What you?" She tried with a sheepish smile. Whatever Ukla had said before must've been satisfied by her response, because she smiled in return.

"Where are you from, Kaie?"

Shyke.

"Jungle. Falyndar. Where you?" Kaie answered in a slow, uncertain drawl. Another reassuring smile from the old woman built her confidence, making her feel more sure of herself when she spoke. It seemed even as Ukla rattled off another sentence, she had more hopes of understanding.

"I've lived in Falyndar all my life as well. I was born inside the city of Taloba. How old are you, Kaie? The first part was all a blur. All that she recognized was Falyndar, Taloba, old, and her own name. The little girl blinked thrice before her mouth dropped, searching for words. The problem was none she could think of were in Common. They were in her native tongue. She was drawing a blank. A chime passed in silence and Ukla's patience was waning. Kaie needed to find her way out of this quickly.

"Kaie Seven," She said in a strangled voice. It sounded as if she were trying to take back her words as soon as she spoke them, all for fear of displeasing the woman before her.

"Yes. Very young. And the young have sat with their grandmother long enough. Say your goodbye and you may find Keikyo."

Kaie's eyes sparkled at her cousin's name. She caught goodbye and that was all. So that meant she was free to go! "Thank you," She said quickly, scampering up from her position by the fire. With a quick little bow of her head she raced off toward the edit, picking up her makeshift spear on her way out. Already did her heart fill with glee to be rid of the smoke ridden longhouse.

"Stop! Come, Kaie,"A voice demanded sharply, the old woman still having plenty of authority in her old age. It was enough to cause the youth to halt in her tracks and pivot around on her heels. Her eyes were wide, a bit of discomfort fitting into her heart. She was going to be punished. Was it because of something she did not understand?

"I said to say your goodbyes before you left. You failed."

"Kaie not know Common good. Not know say. Hard. Goodbye?" Kaie tried, voice wavering with waning confidence. She was uncertain in her own words but a weak tone would do her no favors. Whether she knew what she said or not, she had to at least pretend she did. Eons later she got her reply.

"Well done. You may go but you will return here the same time tomorrow. When Syna is highest in the sky,"[/b] Ukla replied with a satisfied smile, nodding her head. Kaie flashed a grin and bowed her head and respect before racing out into the sunshine. One thing was for sure. Keikyo sure would get an ear full of her hardship today.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

A Lesson In Tongues

Postby Traverse on November 3rd, 2013, 2:43 pm

Kaie

Skill XP Earned
Observation 3 XP
Rhetoric3 XP
Socialization1 XP

Lores Earned
Ukla: A Wrinkled, but Kind Looking Grandmother
The Necessity of Common if One Travels
Pronouncing a Word Fluidly
Passing Ukla's Common Test

Yes, I Bite.

Additional Comments :
I actually thought this thread was pretty funny! Maybe because you downplayed it so much and I was expecting something horrendously boring, haha.

Alright so I was wondering if you were going for fluency in Common why you'd do a thread where Kaie is only learning the basics of the language, and I looked back at out PM and noticed I had said 5-10 threads to reach it, and or about a year IR time. So I guess it depends on when precisely you're hoping to earn fluency, via flashbacks before Kaie actually started her journey, or somewhere on her current journey as is. Also you could poke Acco and see if your time in Syliras got you any closer as well, I certainly don't want to have you boring yourself to death by making these language specific threads!

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)