Completed Long Time, Let's Fight II

Sei has yet again conviced Roderick to spar with him. Only, the hand-to-hand kind. Part II

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Long Time, Let's Fight II

Postby Roderick on August 20th, 2013, 9:26 pm

48th of Summer, 513 AV

Roderick gazed around the clearing, trying to spot the sight of white fur moving in among the trees, or of a black-haired lad in striped trousers heading for him. All he saw was the tall trees all around him, each wearing a coat of bronze and gold leaves. Every now and then a slight breeze came along and brushed itself against a few of the trees, shaking free some of their coats and sending stray leaves drifting down into the clearing, where they mingled together with the grass and dirt to form an earthy carpet. He drew the scents around him into his nose and enjoyed the smell; best enjoy himself while he could.

He'd been here for a while, and in that time he'd decided to warm himself up a little, push ups, jumping and running had been the main part of the exercises. He'd brought his bow with him this time, and was glad he had.
While he waited for Sei he drew it out and took aim at a tree across the clearing. He rested his fingers against the string and blew out all the air in his lungs, then drew in a deep breath as he slipped into his full stance and drew the string back fully to his cheek; he stared down the shaft of the arrow for a moment, then released his hold and watched it fly off faster than his eye could see, striking the trunk with a pleasing thud. He slipped another arrow and felt the thrum of the string as he fastened the arrow on. He adjusted his footing, making sure his left leg was in front, right leg behind, turned so all his right side face away from the tree, while his left faced it head on.

He released all the air from his lungs again, then brought his arm up and drew the string back as he sucked in the earthy air back down into them. He felt the muscles in his shoulders working to keep the string taught - the feeling eased as he let go and watched the arrow zip through the air into the trunk; a hands span from the first, as far as he could tell from here.

Roderick leaned his bow against the tree behind him and set down his quiver as well. His cloak was already lying at the base of the tree, so he was free to keep warming up. He started at a jog around the clearing, feeling his body pump more blood into his arms and legs as they began to move into action.
He tried to avoid simply sprinting; he kept breathing steadily as he went, slowly getting faster and drawing in more air as time passed. After five minutes he was jogging quickly, and feeling the strain in his legs, with pain building up in his chest; another five minutes and he was running, and the pain began burning in his arms and legs, every breath searing his lungs. He slowed himself down gradually, going over to his things and taking a drink.

He let his breathing calm down before dropping to his hands and pushing himself up off the ground - he could do this easily at the least. Whatever Sei might have said, no one could say the hunter had weak arms; firing a longbow took a lot of strength, and Roderick's arms were well muscled from the hours he'd spent using the weapon. He lowered his face down to the dirt, then pushed himself back up, then lowered himself down again.

He did a dozen and felt the strains building up, then did another half dozen and stopped; starting his spar aching and winded wasn't a good idea. He stretched and felt his shoulders crack and his back pop, relieving some of the strain. He leaned against the tree and waited for the Kelvic to get there.
Last edited by Roderick on August 27th, 2013, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 20th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Sei paced himself as he sprinted down the walkway. He pulled the Quiver over his head, after he placed the arrows inside it, and held the bow in his hand. He gripped the Longbow with his teeth, and slipped on his archers gloves, removing his gauntlets, and grabbed the bow, holding his gauntlets. He passed the rearing stallion and waved to Gene as he continued to run. He turned into an alleyway on his right, and quietly slipped through it. He breezed his way to the Fighter Pit, stopping in front of Roderick with ease.

Sei watched as he pulled back the string of his bow with an arrow, and let it fly to a nearby branch. Satisfied, he lowered into a plank and started some pushups. When he was done he stood and stretched, his arms cracked and his back popped, probably releasing the strain on him. "Hey." He said, holding the bow and walking over to Roderick. "I had to make a quick stop." He said, flashing his new equipment.

Sei turned and dropped his things gently to the ground. He looked at Roderick and smiled. "Glad to see your taking this seriously." He said, switching his gloves with his gauntlets. "I not going to help you today, NOR am I going to go easy. Hope you remembered your knuckledusters." He said, as he took his stance.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Words: 228595
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on August 21st, 2013, 6:19 am

Roderick watched as the Kelvic made his way into the pit and stopped in front of him, holding up a longbow. Roderick found he was impressed the boy managed to draw the string fully back and loose an arrow at a nearby branch, though the aim and stance were off; that and Sei's arms visibly strained beneath his shirt as he did the action. He considered giving the Kelvic some tips on using the bow, then remembered the previous days harsh 'training'.

Some other time, when I'm not feeling the urge to brain you when I think about that.
"Hey," the Kelvic called over, walking over proudly with his new bow, "I had to make a quick stop." he took the chance to show off his new bow, then turned and dropped his things on the ground near Roderick's.
"Glad to see your taking this seriously." He said, switching his gloves with his gauntlets. "I not going to help you today, NOR am I going to go easy. Hope you remembered your knuckledusters." Roderick remembered the bitter taste left by the training the day before as the Kelvic took his stance.

"I'm surprised you could draw that," Roderick told the Kelvic, "Certainly isn't easy," without asking he helped himself to the lad''s new longbow, as well as an arrow for the string, then assumed his stance, standing so his left side was aimed toward a tree and the right directly away from it, left foot forward, right foot behind; he blew out all the air in his lungs as he always did and then sucked a lungful back in as he brought his arms up and drew the bow.

He felt the familiar strain in his shoulders as he drew back the arrow on the string, feeling the feathers tickle against his cheek; he took only a brief moment to aim before he released it - the pain of keeping it drawn would do him no favors.

He watched the arrow launch off through the air and embed itself into the tree trunk itself, near the middle. The heart, he liked to imagine. He turned to the Kelvic and gave an approving nod, "You chose a good weapon," he told him, "You'll need to keep your arms as strong as you can. You should try find a lighter bow to practice with - learn the basics on a shortbow and everything else will be easier." the fact the Kelvic was leaping straight into using a longbow annoyed Roderick a little; he'd spent most of his life practicing with bows - each one made when he'd grown a little bigger, a little stronger. Going straight for one of the strongest bows was cutting corners in his eyes.

Roderick walked over to the tree and pulled out the arrow he'd used, then crunched his way over the carpet of leaves to the Kelvic and returned the arrow to it's quiver, setting down the bow so it leaned against the tree.
Digging into his pack, he drew out two pieces of metal; the knuckledusters - his, according to the Kelvic, but he'd most likely give them back; for him he was just borrowing them. Slipping them over his fingers he moved his fingers around inside the metal rings, getting used to the feeling.

The hunter stood with his left leg in front and the right behind him, fists up at face level to guard it - before he recalled the advice he'd been given and moved his right fist down to his side to guard his stomach. It would help him.
Well, at least a little.

KuckledustersSo what's the story with them? I'm assuming Roderick is just borrowing them for the training, but the way you worded it made it sound like they are his Rod's now.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 21st, 2013, 5:42 pm

Sei watched as Roderick as he looked at the longbow. He then remembered the reason why he had vulenteered to teach Roderick hand-to-hand. He took his stance and flicked his eyes at Roderick. Roderick seemed ready. He was protecting his face and balancing his weight. Hopefully he built a technique around his stance. He was about to charge and he knew Roderick could feel it. He advanced at Roderick and brought his fist up to Rodericks stomach. "Remember I know your weak points." He said.

Sei rotated to the right and elbowed Roderick's right side. He ducked down, came up and kicked at Roderick's kneecap. He then transistioned to face Rodericks back, kneeing him hard enough to hurt him. He then took his left hand and forced his palm into the back of his head. Not to hard though. He packed around, punching Roderick in the chest, and turned to kick his gut. He was starting to enjoy training.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on August 21st, 2013, 7:25 pm

He was starting to hate training.
The Kelvic advanced and punched his fist toward Roderick's stomach, "Remember I know your weak points," he said while he did it. The hunter remembered well, and his hand shot up to knock the punch aside. The young Kelvic followed up by moving around to and elbowing at the hunter's right side - but again his arm moved in time to stop the blow, elbowing the attack away and sending a tinge of pain up as their bones and flesh connected.

Tendo kicked at Roderick's kneecap - who avoided it narrowly by jumping back and spinning slightly to try and keep the Kelvic in front of him; Tendo was faster this time, and moved around to Roderick's back, kneeing him there hard enough to hurt him - he only avoided further pain by jumping forward roughly around the time it hit, so the full force didn't land. Roderick felt the Kelvic's palm smack into the back of his head. He spun himself around even as
Tendo began moving around the face him; the hunter brought his arm up in time to vaguely block the blow with his arm, knocking it away, but feeling the Kelvic's fist slam into his flesh - praise be for vambraces.

Tendo made to kick him in the gut, but Roderick moved out of his range - though it was hardly dignified, since it was nothing more than a jump backwards to the left. He landed oddly and felt his feet slide from under him, pitching him on his back. Roderick felt his legs go up in the air; moving them back down and standing up would give the Kelvic plenty of time to move in for another attack. Instead he used his momentum to roll backwards, pushing as hard as he could with his hands and somehow avoiding snapping his neck by rolling on one shoulder. He lurched to his feet and hurriedly brought his arms back up to defend his face and stomach.

"Something about this doesn't make sense to me," Roderick said to the wind, strafing carefully sideways to keep the Kelvic in front of him, "It's why you offered to train me when you're being such a shyke to me. Odd, wouldn't you say?" the leaves crunched under foot - they were probably what made him slide. He glanced about and saw bare dirt away to his left. He edged his way over to it gradually; if he set his boots down on dry earth there would be nothing to trip him again.

The Kelvic didn't seem at all winded - most likely because he hadn't been hit yet. Roderick kept him within sight every moment, to avoid being caught off guard. He was beginning to put together a vague idea of the attack's Tendo was using; punches to the gut and chest, low sweeping kicks for the knees, elbows to the back, open palmed blows to the back of the head and the chin.

He always goes for the gut. It knocks the breath from me and leaves me open - he follows with a hit to the side or the knees - then he moves around to the back - an elbow there, and a smack on the skull.

His boots met with dirt and he quickened his pace, standing with open dirt behind, left and right, with the carpet of leaves before him. If he could keep Tendo pinned on it, his footing wouldn't be so sure.

"Then there's the sudden interest in archery too. You could have learned long before now - should have, really, considering you're a hunter - using the term loosely, 'course." he smirked to annoy the Kelvic - it was his turn for the insults, "And the insults - always with the insults. You could at least be a little fancy with them." he slipped out his stance to gesture dramatically,
"Thou art as loathsome as a toad,"

"'Then again, you've the brain of a mouse - so there can't be much in there." He smirked again as he returned to his stance.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 21st, 2013, 10:01 pm

Sei watched as Roderick used swift motions to dodge and deflect his attacks, and was stunned by his overnight progress. He then listened to Roderick and spoke. "Well MOM, I thought since I taught you physical combat, you'd teach me to use a bow." He said with a smirk. He advanced toward Roderick and ducked low, forcing his palm into his chin. "So how 'bout it?" He asked. He then feinted, brushed Rodericks hands away with his left hand, and used his right hand to smash his gauntlet into Roderick's stomach. He then rotated to the left, kicking Roderick in his side. Not to hard though, and moved on.

"Think of this as an exchange." Sei said with a friendly smile, aiming to elbow Roderick in the back. He rotated and hopped back and formed a different stance. He's probably analyzed this style already, so I have to switch or it's game over. He thought. He then changed his demeanor dramatically. "Are you going to sit there like a wuss, or be a man and attack?" He said coldly. He signalled Roderick with his fingers, and stood tall.

KnuckledustersSei gave those for roderick to keep.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on August 22nd, 2013, 7:33 am

"Well MOM, I thought since I taught you physical combat, you'd teach me to use a bow." At last it all became clear; the offer to train, the gift of the knuckledusters - all so Roderick would feel obligated to return the favor.

Tendo smirked and advanced toward Roderick; he ducked low, forcing his palm into his chin, making the man's teeth click together, "So how 'bout it?" the Kelvic asked. He feinted, brushed Roderick's hands away with his left hand, and made to punch his right into Roderick's stomach; the hunter knew how these things went, though, and tensed his stomach in case the blow landed, bringing a hand down to knock the punch away, but instead sent it veering off course, hitting his hip. The Kelvic was already in the middle of going around to the left to kick at Roderick's side; "Think of this as an exchange." Sei said with a friendly smile, aiming to elbow Roderick in the back. The hunter himself about so he was facing him, back no longer open, and kicked out, using the force of the kick to push himself away from Tendo.
The only exchange he was interested in right now was giving the Kelvic a bootprint to the groin.

The Kelvic rotated and hopped back, forming a different stance, "Are you going to sit there like a wuss, or be a man and attack?" He said coldly. He signaled Roderick with his fingers, and stood tall.
"Hate to nitpick, but I'm standing," Roderick smirked and crouched on the ground, watching the Kelvic; he ran his left hand over the dirt at his side, out of Tendo's sight, creating little furrows as his fingers clawed it up. He'd kept a step ahead of the Kelvic in the Bronze Woods by making up sudden little plans to throw him off. He needed one now. He started talking.

"Why go through all this trouble to get training?" he asked, "Was asking me too much effort for you?" his hand clawed faster, "I've agreed to sparring before - why not training?" faster still - he put his anger and frustration into it; his fingers burned, "Enough. Why don't you try teaching me something? I imagine it'd be more effective than beating me and calling it 'training'." his other hand joined in, opening and closing slowly, clawing the air, "It must be because you're terrible at this. Just awful. You're hoping I'll pick some moves up and assume I learned them from you - I'll be grateful and give you training then, huh? Some plan." he laughed, "I've known children who could do better," he looked Tendo in the eyes, though his mind was somewhere else, "But then that's what Kelvics are in the beginning...children. You've the bodies of men and women, but your minds take a while to catch up - sometimes they never do, if they're bonded too early." he remembered her, from back in Zeltiva, and ran his hand over his neck, where the skin had been darkened by an inked needle, his eyes blind to the world, "If you actually sat and listened to that rambling shyke you're an even bigger idiot than I thought."

KnuckledusterThank you kindly - Rod appreciates that.

OOCThe bit at the end will hopefully become clear in time
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 22nd, 2013, 3:30 pm

Sei laughed. He was happy that Roderick was explaining things to him about bows. He listened carefully until Roderick started too dig in the dirt. "What the petch are you doing?" He questioned. He was quizzical, but ignoored it until Roderick said his last sentence. What the petch is that supposed to mean? He thought. He watched as Roderick finished digging and advanced at him.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on August 22nd, 2013, 4:46 pm

Tendo had listened carefully until Roderick started clawing up the dirt at his feet. "What the petch are you doing?" he asked, but the hunter ignored him and kept talking; the Kelvic looked puzzled when he'd finished - Roderick could see by the furrowed brows. He glanced around again at his surroundings; the trees remained stoic sentinels, watching their fight. Tendo started coming toward him, ready to continue the fight. Ready for another beating - another snide remark.
Roderick was ready too.

He pushed himself up off his haunches and moved forward to meet the Kelvic; his fist was bulging with earth. Leaving Tendo no time to react, he threw it straight in his face and lashed out with a kick to the belly, planning on following with harsh open handed smacks to the skull when the kelvic buckled over in pain; if he made it through without being stopped he'd knock Tendo on his back and pin him down.

OOCRod certainly has a habit of fighting dirty - get it? dirty? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH - no. :disgust:
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 22nd, 2013, 5:22 pm

"Shyke!" Sei called trying to wipe dirt from his eyes, until Roderick kicked his stomach. He didn't budge, and contiued to lead Roderick hit him. He jerked back before Roderick could hit him the last time. "I'm a tiger bum. I have great ears, and SMELL for that matter." He said with a smirk. "And when you g home, take a shower." He said with a smirk.

Sei listened to his surrounding and surged at Roderick stopping in front of him and yelled. He punched Roderick in the side and palmed his face. "To bad your trick didn't work!" He said confidently, until he tripped over his own feet that is. He instictively put his hands in front of him, and caught hisself before hitting the ground.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next