Completed Archery Training I

Roderick shares his knowledge with Kaie

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Archery Training I

Postby Roderick on August 26th, 2013, 7:26 am

Kaie raised a brow at him before she returned to the task at hand. Roderick notched an arrow as she stared down at the target, and breathed in, then out, like he'd told her. For a few moments Kaie seemed to talk something through with herself, then she moved her stance again and gripped the bow with less vigor. Drawing an arrow free from her quiver she notched it to the bowstring. Taking a deep breath she lifted her bow and drew the string back, and began to take aim. Within a moment of finding her target she was ready.

She let go of her held breath and released the arrow into the air with it. He watched alongside her as he latest attempt veered off right into the undergrowth. Kaie's hands dropped down to her side and he could tell from the way she stood and held herself that she was annoyed. Mostly though it was because she said, "How the petch do you get that thing to fly straight?"

"Well done - you've got the range now," encouraging her seemed the best idea. Roderick stepped toward her slightly and bent his back so he was vaguely on a level with her, "Remember to pull the string with the tips of your fingers," he showed her the right way to pull the string - then the wrong way, clawing at it, showing how it made the arrow shift about, "When you draw, keep your anchor point in the same spot - the exact same place each time. If you don't your aim will be all over the place," he tapped the side of his mouth briefly to let her know what he was talking about, "When you have the bow full drawn, let the string brush on your nose a little, so you've got it touching your mouth and nose - that will help keep your aim steady." he stepped away and straightened, "And when you loose don't move your hand; you'll put the aim off," there were so many ways for an archer to put his aim off, "Just release the grip your fingers have on the string - then wait for it to clear your bow before you lower it so you don't make it curve down." he gestured for her to try again.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Archery Training I

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2013, 2:28 am

She listened carefully, visualizing herself doing each thing as he said it. Every detail was turned into a physical sensation. Kaie could almost feel it, the teasing of the bowstring on her nose. The way her arm would strain naturally when she grew back to aim. She'd follow the arrow as it left her fingers, shooting off the bow ahead. Hopefully it would come must closer to its target.

Try again he says. Fine then, try again we shall...

Kaie began from scratch to get her feet straight. When all was well she added a new arrow to the string, holding with her finger tips this time. Upon inhaling she lifted the bow and pulled the arrow back as taught to her lips. Just as she visualized before, the bow just touched her nose and lip. It seemed to make sense to her now. Like holding a spear, three points of contact were always perfect. Of course that would make sense for other weapons as well. Nose, lips, and fingers proved to be key in just the same way for success. Validating that theory? Well, that was something very different.

Exhaling smoothly, the novice archer released her hold on the string. She did not move her hand as she did before nor did she change the angle of the bow. Everything remained smooth and steady as the arrow shot off the string. Too eager to succeed, Kaie didn't even bother lowering the arrow. It didn't matter that it had cleared the bow. All she wanted to do was sit and watch. Then she heard the dull thud.

Is this real life? Did I actually do something right with this thing?

Kaie stared at the arrow in disbelief, eyes never leaving the sight of a tip wedged deep into a tree trunk. Her tree trunk. The exact one she aimed for. The Myrian turned toward Roderick with a satisfied expression. Her eyes were bright with excitement though she tried not to show too much. That wasn't to say she wasn't fighting the urge to jump and kick her heels together with victorious glee.

"How about that time, Roderick?"

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Archery Training I

Postby Roderick on August 27th, 2013, 7:26 am

Kaie adjusted her feet again to make sure she stood right; as far as Roderick could tell she had everything the right way. He watched her notching the arrow to the string again, pleased to see her holding the string with her finger tips this time. She inhaled deeply and drew the bow back to her lip, letting the string brush her nose as he'd told her.

Exhaling smoothly, his pupil - funny to think of her like that - released her hold on the string. Her drawing hand remained still as she released the arrow; the arm holding the bow stayed in the air as well, and they both watched the arrow twang off the string and whiz through the air.

Roderick smiled as Kaie stared dumbfounded at the arrow, wedged into the tree trunk she'd been aiming for. The Myrian turned and looked at him pleasantly, her eyes shining.
"How about that time, Roderick?"

The hunter smiled all the more, "Good," he said, "You're picking this up quickly. You'll be an expert in no time." Roderick turned his face up toward the sky, taking in the full blue expanse of it; they'd been here longer than he'd thought, judging from how much the sun had moved. He wondered if they should keep going or put it off until the next day. Since the Myrian was paying for a lesson, he'd let her have the say.

"We've been here longer than I thought," he said, looking at her again, "You still up for more, or are you ready to call it a day?" something told him the Myrian wanted to keep this going for another 3 bells. She'd make a great archer if that were true.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Archery Training I

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Still filled with glee from her small victory, she hadn't even realized how far Syna have moved across the sky above. They seemed to have been at it for a while. Though she didn't have much to do other than return to the city for work when the sun set, Kaie did figure she would need to clean up before then. The Myrian shrugged her shoulders coolly before turning to her teacher. Facing him directly, her pure grin had become lost. Instead was a slighter expression of satisfaction rather than childish joy. Business-like in nature, even. She strolled right up to him with bow lower at her side, brow arched questioningly.

"Tomorrow. Same place. Same time. Don't keep me waiting," She offered though it seemed like an assumption. A demand even. Of course as she spoke her voice was simple and light. Though she might not have been the most pleasant of students she knew he would enjoy getting something out of the lessons.

With that she smiled slyly at him as if challenging him to contradict her. Then she strolled off toward the way she came, picking up her things and moving on her way. Kaie lifted her cloak's hood over her head again as she walked. It wouldn't be long until she would out of sight again. Just another shadow in the trees.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Archery Training I

Postby Roderick on August 27th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Kaie looked up at the sky for a moment and took in where the sun lay. The Myrian shrugged her shoulders and then turned to him, her grin gone; instead it was replaced with a simple look of satisfaction. She strolled over to him with her bow in hand and raised a brow at him.

"Tomorrow. Same place. Same time. Don't keep me waiting," she had assumed he would train her more, and though she said it lightly, the words spoke of a demand. Smiling slyly at him, almost in challenge, she turned and strolled away from him, quickly collecting her things. Kaie lifted the hood of her cloak as she walked; before long she slipped away into the undergrowth, lost among the trees.

Smiling to himself about the Myrian, Roderick gathered up his own things, taking his time while doing, enjoying the quiet. When he was ready he set off from the clearing with his pack, rucksack and bow strung about his chest, whistling softly to himself as he went. Things had gone better than expected.
Hopefully tomorrow would prove as fruitful.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Archery Training I

Postby Perplexity on October 1st, 2013, 1:23 am

Riddled with Rewards!

Roderick
Weapon: Longbow +2 XP
Running +1 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Observation +3 XP
Teaching +3 XP

Lores :
  • Teaching: Critiquing Longbow Technique
  • Teaching: Establishing A Pupil's Eye Dominance
  • Archery: Proper Footing
  • Archery: Breathing Habits

Kaie
Stealth +1 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Observation +3 XP
Weapon: Longbow +3 XP

Lores :
  • Archery: Right Eye Dominant
  • Archery: Proper Footing
  • Archery: Breathing Habits

Notes :
Amusing little interaction between the two of you. Keep up the great work! PM me with questions regarding your grade should you have them!

Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous