PM to join A Road Less Travelled or so I Thought (Kaie, Jervis)

Jervis decides to see Ravok after hearing Kaie speak of it, risking getting himself enslaved or worse

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

A Road Less Travelled or so I Thought (Kaie, Jervis)

Postby Jervis Hill on August 26th, 2013, 3:07 am

67th Summer, 513AV
Noon

Jervis looked up at the noon day sun, it still felt bright at this time of day for him up here on the surface. Before now he'd lived in the cave nation of Sultros with his fellow Isurians. It was a fairly safe existence really and he was sure most Isurians would question why he left. Perhaps the Old lady would as she had a wild youth, he'd hope she'd understand.

It wasn't that he hated the place, Truthfully he loved the nation and never thought of leaving until 7 years ago. Like most Isurians he'd be taught that outsiders were lesser creatures not to be trusted though maybe pitied a little for there lack of crafting skill. Most of his encounters at the shop his mistress had ran hadn't led him to believe they were anything more than lesser beings with some of the ignorant comments they would have. He was polite but usually remained aloof for the sake of the shop despite his black nature which he had gotten much better at controlling with Mistress Titania's help. Kevil had changed that thought of lesser being in him though.

Jervis stared at gorgeous scene before him. He'd stopped at a small lake that had a path leading to it he'd been able to see from the main road. The lake was bright blue under the noon day sun and nestled among the hills so you'd have only been able to see it when heading northward. It was surrounded by old looking evergreen growth providing a small feeling of safety being tightly surrounded by the trees even if it was so open above him. A majestic scene Jervis thought taking a deep breath and a moment to soak the scene into his memory.

He quickly set to the task at hand refilling his flask and water skins for the journey ahead. He doubted he'd find Kaie even if she had wanted him to find her which he wasn't sure she did. He'd been raised by a woman ... two really but he still rarely understood the mysterious creatures.

Still if she was determined to pursue a career as a sell sword, having a weaponsmith along for the journey could only help and if he worked with her he could see many different warriors. Which was a stepping stone on the path to his dream he'd determined. Convincing Kaie of that would be another matter but he had to at least try, At worst he could just visit this city on a lake she had mentioned.
"They call me the wisest of all greeks because I alone admit, I know nothing." - Socrates [/size]
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Words: 89402
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kaie on August 26th, 2013, 5:07 am

She had a lot on her mind. Kaie had been travelling for nine days through the Cobalt Mountains. Of course it wasn't the travel she minded so much. In fact she loved being outside those damned pacifists and their mighty walls. She had grown sick of the iron fisted knights instilling order in the name of a long slain deity. To her it was hugely pathetic and a major set back. While the City of Peace did help her onto her feet when she first arrived there, it did hinder her from advancing as she wished. Violence was deeply frowned upon and challenges in the Anthonius Fighters Pit were definitely below expectations. There were few days she felt truly out of element. She did love her days at the Rearing Stallion as bartender, but those days he gone far behind her. Kaie could only look ahead.

With the words of her employer ringing in her ears, the Myrian woman was deeply distracted. It was a good thing the horse given to her was a great one. The way she so carelessly went about leading it, it was a wonder it hadn't ditched her long ago. Instead it followed beside her dutifully stepping over obstacles in their way. They were in dire need of water. Kaie was sure of that much. Their rations were okay at best, but those would need to be replenished soon as well. Following a stream, she finally found a satisfying source of water to refill her water skin. Finally a place for her horse to drink and graze while she planned her time.

Just as she broke through the trees toward the lake, a far too familiar person was already there. Crouched before the water refilling his stores, there was no mistaking his identity. After all she had just met the guy a couple days ago. She didn't forget so easily. Now she was wishing she had. Feet moved quietly through the grass, hardly making a squashing noise on the moist ground. Kaie trudged up behind the Isur, doing her best not to deck him right then and there. Instead she drew her gladius quietly and pointed it at arms length toward him. Aiming it at his neck, she finally addressed the follower who managed to somehow cross paths with her again.

"Funny seeing you here, Jervis. And so very far away from Syliras. Now where might you think you're going?"

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jervis Hill on August 26th, 2013, 7:40 am

Jervis recognized the threat but not until Kaie was already where she wanted to be he assumed. Even his horse didn't notice until it was too late and snorted, startled by the sudden presence. Jervis breathed a sigh of relief recognizing Kaie's voice, she was his main reason for heading this way and he was pretty sure she already knew that.

Jervis studied everything and warriors and people in general where some of his favorites more recently because they were so predictable and yet predicting exact actions was impossible. He'd taken time after the events a few days ago to learn what had happened after they split up at least what people would tell him.

Apparently Tressabelle had gotten mistaken by Kaie as the kidnapper and Kaie nearly killed the girl. Jervis hadn't blamed her, instead it caused his mind to think about her more and more in the days after she left.

Isurian's say your soul is like a lump of iron, forged in the fires of fate, pounded into shape by the events of your life and tempered in Izurdin's patient love and he truly believed this. Seeing Kaie through this lens he couldn't help but wonder what events had forged such a sleek and skilled warrior. He knew the other Isur were wrong in taking all these people all as inferior. It was just like Kevil had told him, people were like blades of grass, if you didn't take time and look closely of course you though they were all the same, those who did take the time could learn much knowledge.

It had resounded with him because of the way he cared about materials, He'd always examined everything he would use very carefully before hand to make sure they were the materials he thought for the job as if they spoke to him in a none literal way.

All in all Kaie was taking it better than he though she would. He'd expected to end up in the same situation as the Ethefael girl or worse. He'd even thought of a plan for that situation just in case but he could save it for later if she was this calm. Izzy started to squirm in his pocket waking up from his nap, Jervis patted his pocket their personal signal to stay put for now.

He thought a straight forward, honest approach would serve best at this time. He started off in a solemn but respectful. "I won't lie to you Kaie, I respect you for your skills too much for that but it's a question we both already know the answer too." He turned around to face the warrior head on, fearlessly. He knew she could kill him if she wanted, even so he made no move to defend himself in anyway as he turned around. He had to win this fight with his words, blades or fists would only trample his chances.

"I am here because you told me where you where going and I've been running ragged trying to catch up, probably because I'm a fool. I only hope marble can forgive me. I see something in you, I'm not sure what it is exactly but I intend to find out. So I figured you and I could travel together to this Ravok and I could see this human city in a lake and you can complete your business. It benefits you as well, not many sell swords have a personal weaponsmith travelling with them, might help you get a reputation. I must say you are taking this far better than I thought you would, I figured I'd be on the ground with your blade at my throat, if we met at all." Jervis looked deeply into her eyes as he spoke hiding nothing from her as it would serve no purpose in his quest, He shrugged half smiled casually at the end of his speech emphasizing his point that he was surprised but happy to see her. He needed her far more than she needed him and he knew that so he hoped his words would have the impact he wanted.
Last edited by Jervis Hill on August 28th, 2013, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They call me the wisest of all greeks because I alone admit, I know nothing." - Socrates [/size]
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2013, 3:29 am

It was tough for the Myrian not to break character. Listening to his start, all she wanted to do was let slip a smirk and laugh in his face. If she wasn't so disciplined she might've even doubled over in hysterics with all his reasoning to follow her. Yet all he earned from her was a quirk of a brow and a raising of her gladius to his throat when he turned. She considered his words a bit more seriously the more she mulled them over. Sure, he has some solid points in there but were they enough? For the most part she heavily doubted that. Though as far as her brutality could go, she knew he had seen nothing yet. She did not pity the outsiders let alone one she just let days ago. He was not her kin nor a close ally. Jervis was not her responsibility. She worked alone for the most part. What would a kid with a lizard pet offer her realistically?

Suddenly she send her foot straight into his chest with the intent on sending him to the earth. She jerked the gladius toward the man until the edge rested under his chin. Then she thrust it up, forcing his head up with it to expose his throat. Kaie adjusted the tip so it prodded at the soft spot just behind the chin where flesh became tender. The Myrian was thinking, pondering what to do with the persistent man. Really she was assessing his worth to her. It was much like a tiger appraising its prey, deciding whether it was better off hunted down and killed. Another soul pried from a body and nothing more. Did he really think her immediate reaction meant she would approach him with kindess?

"Who said it isn't?" She said in a matter of fact manner, voice apathetic and dry. Eyes stare down at him without betraying a thing. Her decisions were hugely based off rationality and realism. She was a warrior first and so she would behave like one. The woods were dangerous and though numbers were safer, she had a feeling he could turn out to be more trouble than he's worth. Or worse, he could slow her down. Why would he even bother coming after her was the real question. He hardly knew her and surely he heard what she had done to the Ethaefal. She could've done it, too. Killed the woman and not felt even the slightest amount of pity or remorse. She'd done it before and wouldn't lose too much sleep if she did it then. That was the scariest part of all in a barbarian's eyes. Why would this man even dream of journeying with someone of her nature?

"Why do you trust me at all, Jervis?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jervis Hill on August 27th, 2013, 11:05 pm

(OOC: Made a mistake so I had to rewrite this post. I tried to rewrite it as close as possible but didn't have a copy of it. gotta start making copies lol)

"Who said it isn't?" Kaie said in a matter of fact manner, voice apathetic and dry.

Well this is going well isn't it. Jervis thought as he saw Kaie raise her foot to kick him. For a second it seemed like he would move to block the attack, maybe dodge but his feet remained firmly planted. Taking even a single step back would be like running away from his dream.

Jervis' cassock slid from his shoulders and into his left hand with a practiced grace. He tossed gently a few feet to the left where it landed with a soft thud taking his small friend and the water flask he had been holding along with it. The small lizard stuck his head out of the pocket and stuck his long tongue out at Jervis but he was to busy to notice.

A second louder thud resounded seconds after the first. The result of Kaie's foot crashing into his chest forcefully. Jervis tried to roll with the blow absorbing some of the damage but found himself unable to keep his footing. He toppled over backwards into the lake with a splash.

Luckily the edge of the lake was shallow so Jervis put his arms behind him to get himself up. Midway he felt Kaie's blade at his throat so he stopped suddenly. Her deadly blade traced it's way up to the most lethal point as it dragged across his skin, not drawing blood only because of Jervis' heritage.

"Why do you trust me at all, Jervis?" Kaie asked him coldly, her eyes burning holes into him. Jervis reached up and wiped the water from his eyes with his right hand.

Oh yes, just peachy.He thought to himself

"I don't trust you Kaie, We just met. I guess everyone else but a fool like myself would have been driven away by the way you act. I guess I see a nobility about it, Living by your own rules without a care to the thoughts of others. There is a passion and honesty about it as well. I didn't think you were going to kill me when I came here Kaie, though I know your perfectly capable of it. I can see that in your eyes. I decided a long time ago that if I died pursuing my dreams I could live with that. I still haven't changed that opinion however. Can I ask you a question, You initiated this encounter. You told me where you were going and you came out here to meet me. Why do you want me here?" Jervis spoke casually looking up into her eyes with his own curious green ones
Last edited by Jervis Hill on August 28th, 2013, 3:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2013, 11:35 pm

From all he said, all that speaking about being different from the others and about her nature, there was only one bit that resounded with her. It wasn't the idea she couldn't bring herself to kill him. That would be a blatant lie. She absolutely could if she wanted to. It wasn't that somewhere in her violent heart she held a petching soft spot for the Isur. Really it would just be a pointless kill. Effortless and valueless. Not much glory comes from killing an easy target. Still she could finish him right where he was if it suited her. Again, it would only prove a waste of energy still. It would be best just to send him off back to Syliras and out of her hair. What actually got her was his final question. Oh, how it made her blood boil...

Why do I want him there? ...Why do I want him there?!

Her fingers tightened around the handle of her gladius until her knuckles turned white. Muscles tensed and she gritted her teeth, choosing her words carefully. Her expression on the other hand was loud and unrestricted. Her eyes narrowed sharply with fiery irritation, lip curled in deep displeasure.She practically snarled at him just then, composure slipping. Her horse behind her snorted and pawed at the muddy earth, finally breaking its silence. After a deep exhale the Myrian did the same.

"You think...I want you here? You think I wanted you to follow me?" She managed bitterly as if she couldn't believe he'd make such a ridiculous assumption. Before she could slip way unnoticed, one of the members had inquired where she was running off to. She simply replied her destination and nothing more. Ravok. Kaie did not give them a reason why. Jervis must've guessed her newest profession himself. To think that her just allowing her allies to know where she was headed after their little adventure, and that he took it as a direct invitation? It was absurd.

"I don't need you here, Jervis. I can manage perfectly fine on my own. I've been doing it for some time. I have an agenda. I don't need you petching it up like you think this is some road trip. This is business. My...Business. You are of no worth to me on the road or in Ravok," She growled angrily, doing her best to control her tone. The result was a restrained mannerism.

"Now get lost."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jervis Hill on August 28th, 2013, 2:11 am

Grab her precious sword and turn it into a horseshoe. She thinks your weak, She dares think you'd be of no use when she can barely deal socially with other beings of her own race let alone you. Jervis' dark side roared in his minds eye screaming to be let out after being treated so poorly by a person he had been nothing but kind too. His angered flashed across his face in a maelstrom for a minute until he finally took a deep breath.

Jervis cast his eyes down defeated. She was right he would be nothing but a burden to her. He really was a stupid fool sometimes. Jervis knew nothing of the human lands or customs that was why he had needed her and knowing that she was running off to work had excited him more. He reached up with his right hand and removed the sword from his throat so as not to damage it in any way. I should at least something so she doesn't hate me. He thought as he mustered up the courage to travel back to Syliras defeated.

"I never said you needed me Kaie, I'm not stupid enough to believe that. I'm impulsive and a dreamer but not an idiot. I know you can make the whole trip yourself and probably come back unscathed. Of the remarkable swordswoman who faced down a timber lion I could believe nothing else."

"I just want to see this human world so badly that I was blinded by it. I knew that attaching myself to a strong warrior like yourself was my best chance to make that happen. Your right though, I know little of human customs, have no navigation skills, can't cook very well, nor even hunt my own food while I'm out here."

"I never meant to burden you or interfere with your work so I'll go as you have asked. Truthfully I figured you would say this, I never believed you would want me here at all until you approached me from behind. She could have simply moved on or if she needed the water waited til I was gone to approach. I asked myself why didn't she just ride away if she didn't want me here at least a little bit."
Jervis said solemnly before walking over to his cassock. He'd have to find someone else to travel with and it broke his heart a little bit. He gotten himself more attached to the idea than he should have knowing it was a longshot from that start.

Jervis picked up his cassock glancing back at her as he did so looking again into her eyes with his own sad ones."I guess I just thought travelling with you could be fun. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you. I hope you don't hate me for my impulsiveness."Jervis added with a sad smile before pulling on his cassock and turning to leave, picking up his spilled flask as he went.
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kaie on August 30th, 2013, 3:19 am

Good boy. Go on now.

She was still riddled with ferociousness. Face contorted with rage and far past annoyance at his imposing. Honestly she didn't feel to guilty watching him turn to pick up his things. That was what he got for following her right? It wasn't like he had anything to offer her. He couldn't hunt, fight, intimidate, or even survive without her holding his hand. She couldn't even believe he'd even try to have her take him on. Why the petch would he want to see more of the barbarian world anyways? There were headed to Ravok for Goddess sake! And passing by Nyka? Both were well known cities unwelcome to non-humans. The citizens were notorious slavers! Kaie would've had to split all her supplies. Her food, water, and--

Suddenly her thought process stopped and hit reverse. With money on her mind she stared at the Isur, blinking a few times. Of course he didn't know the nature of her travelling exactly even if he knew her profession. There was no way he could've known what sort of pay day she was getting at the end. It wasn't anything too incredible, that's for sure, but still. Kaie wasn't too fond of sharing to begin with. Something she wasn't about to split was her cut. That was completely off the table. Perhaps...They could make money in other ways?

"You say you're a weaponsmith, yes? If you stay, you do just that. You make arrows if I need them. Clean my sword and take care of my tools. If I tell you to do something you do it without hesitation or protest," She demanded, rattling off her conditions sternly. Kaie made it clear there was no room for negotiation this time. If he was coming it would be on her terms alone. Hers and nothing more. The Myrian did not hold an ounce of pity in her expression for him. It was obvious his attempts at guilt tripping hadn't been what changed her mind. Then she eyed his wagon critically with a displeased expression.

"There's gonna be one speed and one speed only. Mine. Do you understand?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jervis Hill on August 30th, 2013, 5:57 pm

"Really, You'll really let me come. Oh thank you Kaie." Jervis said his voice cracking a little with emotion. He turned around with an overjoyed expression on his face, He took a set forward as if to hug the myrian but stopped himself not wanting to dash his chances when she'd miraculously said yes.

"I'll make you anything you ask for Kaie and want nothing in return just to study you and learn from you. I'll be your faithful dog, I swear to Izurdin."Jervis looked into her eyes with honesty and conviction, meaning every word he said with all his heart.

"Your demands suit me well, I had heard the humans up here were unfriendly when looking for directions to Ravok actually, they enslaved people they had told me. So I figured the only way I could travel with you and not slow you down was to pretend to be your personal slave for the trip. It didn't sound like they would have any respect for me but I assumed if I was already property of a human then they wouldn't bother us much or at least I hoped. I'd need some more information from you to try to make a suitable disguise of course but I hoped maybe it would be a good idea but you probably still think me a fool." Jervis continued rambling on about his plans and thoughts until he heard her speak again and eye his wagon.

"I know, it's a poor item for our journey after the trip it's already been through, If you have give the word Mistress I will pack all my things on my horse and leave it right here in this glade. Though, if we perhaps sell it to some farmers or something as we travel we could make some extra gold for any travel expenses we come across. I also brought food for myself as well as some extra to bolster your supplies. It's simple fare but I didn't want to slow you down with you having to hunt for me though I'm not sure if it would be good enough for my Mistress." Jervis said bowing deeply at the waist towards Kaie, jumping into his new role eagerly wanting to impress her as he was so grateful for her accepting him.
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kaie on August 31st, 2013, 9:04 pm

Her expression was still far from friendly. She was agitated. Inconvenienced. There was no buffering of her irritation for him. The prospect of enslaving him was amusing, but ultimately she knew she'd turn it down. She didn't have the patience for such property. More so she wasn't very keen on the concept itself. Myri demanded no Myrian show mercy to their adversaries. Why would the humans? Kaie would prefer to lop off a Dhani head any day of the week rather than letting the scaled vermin hang around, even if they were doing labor on her behalf. Enslaving just served room for eventual calamity. Goddess forbid if such an unfavorable crowd were to rise to mutiny. It seemed best to cut their losses right then and then.

"I will not have you as my slave. If you'd like to do it voluntarily and make yourself a collar while you're at it, be my guest," She returned quickly without much forethought. The reality of his stay was becoming more concrete the more he spoke. She wondered how long it would take her to pull out her gladius and slit her own throat. Considering the way he babbled, she could only assume it wouldn't be long.

"Ditch the wagon. We won't always be on well marked roads. Do whatever you need to do to prepare. We leave in ten ticks," She commanded with a shrug, turning from him and sheathing her blade. Without further instruction she wandered to her horse again. Gripping the reigns she began to lead the beast off into the woods. Kaie couldn't help but wonder just how long their little dynamic would last.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next