Completed Some Things Never Change

Ricky and Burt finish catching up on things, thus father and son are together once again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Some Things Never Change

Postby Ricky Maze on August 31st, 2013, 9:42 pm

Some Things Never Change
Summer 64th 513 AV, 14th Bell

There he sat alone on the edge of the docks, fishing rod in hand as he watched out to the sea. Thoughts occupied the scarfaced man as he allowed the waves of the sea to lap onto his bare feet, the sun beams highlighted his ever tanned skin. Ricky stood only ever so far from his father as he watched the busy docks, sailors all worked to load and unload goods to travel across the ocean to Laviku knew where. He was on patrol right now, but there was no harm in talking to others while he did his duty. That was after all part of the job to begin with. The question was; did Ricky want to talk to Burt? "Sure enough he helped save me life..." Yes, Burt did bring the healers just in the nick of time. Ricky's hand subconciously placed itself over his abdomem, the scar that underneath his azure uniform a memory forever carved onto his flesh. "And he's been there t' help me, make me a stronger fighter at that." The days spent with lessons of sword techniques and vigorous training were all but vaguely remembered. He did after all work harder to prove he was a better trained fighter near the end of their sessions.

"Why not." His frown turned to a gentle smile as he found the ability to speak to his father once again, the promise that his old man would remain a part of his life fresh on his mind as he watched Burt bob the rod up and down. "He's more than proven he wants t' be here, actually he's earned it." This was true. Ricky could no longer deny the fact Burt not only earned the respective aspect his son once held for him, he regained the admiration as well after everything they been through. Ricky sighed with ease as he marched on down the dock to where Burt was, the wooden planks creaked underneath his boots to make his approach known. "Funny how this looks familiar." He remarked when he came close, Burt never turned around but Ricky knew his father had to be smiling.

"Is it so funny as to see yer old man doin' the one thing he taught you in the beginning?" He quirked while he slowly reeled the line in.

"Naw, just the fact it still looks the same. Even after all these years." Ricky remarked with a smirk, Burt gave a chuckle as he finally looked up to his son.

"Yet one thing's missin'." He added with a humble smile, the look in his eyes sincere as they fell upon the guard. "Yer all grown up." He finished with a sigh, his smile faded a little as he looked back to the ocean.

"T' be honest..." Ricky's smirk vanished as well, finally the truth was present before him. "I still miss me pa." He gave a sincere grin to Burt as he looked up to Ricky in awe, then disappointment filled his expression as he turned to face the ocean.

"Eight years... How could I've petched up." Ricky approached the end of the dock and took a seat next to the fisherman, a humble grin on his face as he stared off into the horizon.

"There's still time. I need a ya t' teach me how t' be a pa as well ya know." He quirked with a glance to his father, Burt got a good short inside laugh when he heard it.

"You 're yer own man. I can't tell ya how t' raise yer own child, but I'll be here t' be it's papa." He returned with a smirk, though that quickly vanished as his thoughts occupied him. Ricky knew his father regretted missing out on so much, it wasn't hard to see that it troubled the man so.

"I know ya had yer reasons pa, and I'm not angry 'bout it anymore." He assured the fisherman sincerely. "Just tell me what happened is all, so that I can understand better why ye were gone."

"Well..." Burt took a moment before he started his story, but when he did he had Ricky's full attention. Ricky remembered the whole deal with Burt and Odis, as he recalled the event he spoke with Odis himself in his near death experience. Burt however lived with insufferable regret that he lost his friend, and that he was left to face the dangers of Mizahar alone. He had help frequently of course, but he considered himself always alone since he lost his closest friend. After their ship had been wrecked and he managed to escape alive, he roamed around in search of Ricky's mother. Which led to the explanation as to how and why he searched for her to begin with.

Ricky's own birth wasn't without difficulty, there were troubles that occured after labor however. Thus his mother had died shortly after meeting her son, and the sailor was left with his own boy as his ship reached the port of a city. That city was Zeltiva, the one place where Burt decided to stay. To raise his son alone until as he lived his remaining days as a fisherman, until the time came where that boy was old enough to be able to look out for himself. Ricky did remember the times Burt went on business trips when the pay was good, but he mostly stuck around until Ricky was old enough to take care of his own self. However Burt's friend Odis returned from a trip on his own once, with word that he actually seen his mother alive and well. As though she were a living memory. "She was seen within Syliras, but when I searched for her I found nothing. She had moved on elsewhere, thus my search led me to travel in her footsteps. Hopeful that I would find her."

"Damn..." It was a lot to take in. His birth, the loss and reappearance of his mother, the journey to find her. He remembered the time he thought to see her in Wind Reach, as he was told by the glass workers in Zeltiva of their crafted art. He left his pendant back at the room, but he could still remember the crafted glass feather being given to him as though it were yesterday. "I still 've the pendant ya know. I was thinkin' 'bout presentin' t' Tel." He looked to Burt as though he needed approval, and Burt gave a warm grin to him in return. That was enough of a confirmation for Ricky, as important as the necklace was he loved Telion even more. Yet one questioned remained. "How... exactly... could ma-"

"How did yer mother return t' the world 'fter death?" Burt looked intrigued to Ricky, already aware that the question was bound to come. "Though I wondered if I merely chased after a farce, I believed it t' be possible f'r her t' come back. The only way I know of is if she fell from the heavens though." Ricky looked confused at his reply, curiously so as he waited for further explanation. "I've met a few in my travels, and from what I know Ethaefal fall from the skies and int' the Suvan sometimes. They come int' this world with little to no memory of their past life, and spend their time wonderin' why it is they descended from the heavens." Ricky looked to the surface of the water below, lost in his reflection as he pondered on the subject.

"So ma's probably an Ethaefal then." He finally responded as he wrapped his mind around the concept.

"Though I never found her Ricky, I believe she may be yes." Burt added as his line of his rod tugged, the fisherman began to reel in the line quickly after, and then shortly after a well caught fish the two were left to deal with catching up and reminiscing of the days that passed.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Some Things Never Change

Postby Meville Brightshade on October 29th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Goodies!

Please make sure to edit your posts in the requests thread to let us know who has been graded! Thank you!

Name: Ricky
Experience gained:
  • Socialization + 1
Lores earned:
  • Fatherly Repairs
  • Family History
  • Ethaefal: Skyfallers
  • Mama Ethaefal

Notes: :
Short but sweet! I'm not entirely familiar with all the arcs Ricky has been going through, but finding our your mum might be Ethaefal? That's a pretty big revelation. Good writing, very smooth conversation as well. It told the story (good use of choosing to describe the bulk of the story with description rather than words) but kept everything natural. Impressive! Keep it up!

Meville Brightshade
Player

Words: 287257
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2013, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)