[Wind Reach Quest - Closed] Hunger Runs Deep

A mysterious theft with far-reaching consequences isn't the strangest thing happening in WR as precious gems appear and walls rearrange themselves

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Wind Reach Quest - Open] Hunger Runs Deep

Postby Dreamcatcher on September 24th, 2010, 6:27 am

ooc :
Brunhild thanks for asking about expectations. In truth, your first post in the quest was close to what I think is acceptable for the site. I personally would have like one more paragraph and I think I would have approved it for general playing. So that’s usually the bar I set for all players. Now for anything above that it depends on the player and the mod. I usually allow a little self modding in my threads. For example, you can describe you are looking at a painting or an NPC, which sparks interdialog or inspiration for some kind action. Since we are in the kitchens, I expect people can describe the table, maybe someone carved something into it, or the bench isn’t very comfortable. I ask my players to keep the descriptions general and not power playing. I also expect people not to conflict visions with one another.

As for grading threads, the better description about an action or your thoughts and feelings that you put into it the more xp I give. For me it’s just a better read and I think the player should have some control, because it’s their story. Also, the more you describe something the more likely I accept it without any kind of failure or harshness. Think Luke Skywalker firing on the death star, sometimes some things are just too cool and even a beginning character should do something sweet once in a while. So as long as the player playing Luke Skywalker gave an awesome description… BOOM no more death star. However, if you only give me two paragraphs. Well you hit the target, but perhaps the shoot goes off early.

Another reason why I like more description and knowing what the character is thinking, is because I can customize the story to them. If you only give me what you said and not what you think or what you want to accomplish in the long run I don’t throw extras your way. For example, if one of you wants to learn the sword, perhaps I can have one of the clues involve you taking a sword class.

My suggestion is look at some of the great characters out there, some of their posts are close to two pages long. However, I don’t expect that either, find what’s right with you and the way you feel, but I recommend keeping to the minimum of four paragraphs, that way the character doesn’t get boring for anyone reading the thread.

In Summation:

The more you write; the more I let you succeed, give out xp, customized the thread to some of your desires, and allow you to help create the story.

I do this because we all are creating a story and it should be a good one.

~Brunhild & Rhian~

OOCI assume Brunhild meant the first thank you to Sham not Val. Rhian I don’t have problem with the two guys you ordered… but who the hell were they? You don’t have anything in your background about them?

Val looked at Rhian and coughed softly at her. He felt it was in poor taste to eavesdrop on others. Still he kept silent, she was volunteering knowledge and she didn’t seem angry which was an improvement over Tam and Tor. Val then looked at Brunhild and wondered why the girl hadn’t introduced herself as she sat down. As his eyes flicked over to Sham, the muscled lad looked a bit taken by the woman, but for now Val decided to refocus everyone’s attention. “Right, well let’s first introduce ourselves and what we offer each other.”

“I am the gatekeeper, let’s say that I bring experience and focus to us. Now besides the general announcement, I also know that everyone who has come through the gate to trade doesn’t have a pimples worth of magic between them. So even though Tor suggested it had to be them, it has to be the longest waiting game I have ever seen because the last outsider reimancer to visit Wind Reach was when I still had a red moustache.” Val used his fingered to comb his grey facial hair. Val seemed like a kindly old man, but the power and presence sent ripples through every one.

Though Val hadn’t stood up when he delivered his little speech, a dirty girl stood up, “I am Leesa, I am a Dek. Ummmmm…” She looked to Val for guidance, and he nodded. “Well last night I was thrown from one of my hiding places and I heard a song echoing from the warrens. It was sweet like chimes in the wind but more like glass then metal. I didn’t think much of it, until this morning when I woke to see a dead girl in front of me, crying that she was thirsty.”

Leesa, a girl of eighteen, seemed almost shaken to the core from what she saw. She took a deep breath and released it. “I screamed and started running through the warrens. The ghost chased me asking me for water and the youthmaster. I remember her crying that she was afraid and that she shouldn’t have run away from the classroom. She kept saying that she always followed the music, but she couldn’t find her way out. I rushed into an old room fill with dust and cobwebs. I curled up in an old rag pile, while she kept crying to me. It wasn’t till Whisper found me and the ghost that the girl seemed to calm down. Whisper told me it was alright to leave now and that I should get some breakfast.” The girl seemed to shake, and as people looked they saw why Leesa had become a Dek. Her left hand looked like it beyond to a girl of five. Leesa would never have the ability to fully operate any craftsmen’s tools, and perhaps because of her gentle or abused nature she needed someone to tell her what to do.

Sham stood up next and looked around, “Well I am Sham, I usually work the forges making buckles or fasteners for saddles. I was returning from mixing duties at the forge for the night, and found a bunch of smiths grabbing chisels. They grabbed me and I have been working on restoring the tunnels to their previous turns. I also overheard some Reimancers saying that the Djed needed to create such massive deposit of stone would be huge, more than any one person could possess. I have to admit that I broke four chisels just trying to get a chunk out. When I checked the stamp of the chisels I realized that they made from one of our best smiths. I am use to working with mineral laced rock, as well as, metal.” Sham paused for a moment and then scooped up some of the dust about his clothes.

Sham pinched the dust and almost like he was using it as seasoning he sprinkled it on to the floor. “It perhaps the most unusual mix I have ever seen. If I didn’t know better it’s like minerals interlace into a clay rock mixture. I could dent the stone easily, but I couldn’t get a decent crack started to wedge chisels in. The stone seems to like one solid piece grown like a plant. I mean even metal doesn’t have that, When you create a knife it has line grains in it. Like long tubes in a plant or rock, but this stuff is like glass. There just doesn’t seem like there’s a crack or break anywhere in the tunnel. Also, the Reimancers said that the tunnel sang. I wonder if the hummed the song, would Leesa be able to recognize it?”

Sham sat down and looked at Val. He shrugged and simply said, “I will see if I can get a reimancer to hum it for Leesa while they work.” Val then looked at Rhian and Brunhild, waiting for one of them to introduce themselves.

~Fenilen~

Whisper went over to a pad of leather skins and sat down. She moved a bowl of water in front of her and slowly began cleaning her hands. Water dripped down her white hands and as they fell an almost gray residue came off with each drop. Each movement seemed filled with purpose and respect. Fenilen saw a ghost slowly walk before the shrine. He seemed near his sixties and broken, his left leg had a bone sticking out while skin looked to be ashen and mummified. Whisper held up a hand briefly and the ghost seemed to sigh as he slowly backed away. Whisper then took the silver comb she had been using to brush the little girls hair and began washing it.

“Thank you… Sorry I don’t know you name, but thank you for acknowledgment of what I do. Very few people seem to understand that the dead need just as much tending to as the living. Also, when a ghost is ready to finally leave this world, he or she sometimes needs some to listen to them. It hard sometimes to hear the confessions of those long dead, many carry pain that has tortured them for hundreds of years.”

“Though there have been a few others seeking my knowledge, I am afraid that I will be tending to the dead full time for another twelve days. However, if you promise to tell the next group of seekers the information I give you, then I will let you ask all your questions before I go to my private chambers and tend to them.” Whisper waited for Fenilen’s response and then moved on.

“Well, first thing is that ghosts aren’t fully capable of using their skills like normal people. They need to take a body to use their knowledge. So we are talking possession, which is possible for powerful Ghosts. Next, what I know of reimancy is that even if you are highly skilled the Djed needed to create change something is very costly.”
Konti began sorting other bits and pieces of toys, combs, pipes, and other knick knacks.

“After talking with several ghosts, there might be three possible people who could have done this. Shasla was the last great reimancer Wind Reach produce about two hundred years ago. She created the gates to Wind Reach and the Hydroponics gardens. It was said that she moved stone like it was clay. Her grand work gloves are somewhere in the shrine. Many reimancers say that those that wear them can easily sculpt stone. However, reimancers have reproduce several pair and none of them, even the originals, created the new stone found. It was said that she went insane and went on the long walk, no one found her body in the deep warrens.” Whisper scratch her head briefly and then brought out a comb that kept her hair tied back. Her white hair fell about her face and she began to wet it and then dry it with a towel.

“Kalfa, was the first reimancer to work the deep warrens. It was said that he the horn that could leech the very minerals from the stone. He channeled his djed into the horn focusing on the minerals that he wanted and called them like a pet. Dek would follow the Avora around and pick up the metals on the ground. One day Kalfa blew the horn and moved enough iron to have the forges work for ten seasons. However, the next day he went down to work the tunnel collapsed as he blew his horn and 25 men died with him, that was 200 hundred years ago and no one has found his body or the horn since.”

“Lastly, there was Shiz the first reimancer to sculpt stone. She was born when the Inarta were young and she used the gifts of the gods to build the first warrens. She taught every reimancer the very basics of stone crafting, but no matter how are she tried, no one understood a tenth of her knowledge. One day she disappeared and the warrens grew so deep that the first people began to become lost down there. It was rumored that her last words that she spoke to a student was. ‘Nay, tomorrow I will be going on a long walk.’ The reason why I include her on the list of people is that it was rumored that she sang while casting.”

Konti slowly got up and stretched for a little bit. Slowly she began to eat cheese, while packing her equipment, “I must admit though, I don’t know if it’s a ghost. It’s certainly possible, but I have heard from two of the lost, and as they recounted their deaths they spoke of the song and crystals growing. I almost wonder how a ghost was using Djed down in the deep warrens without someone there?”
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Words: 120506
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Brunhild Alalia Ambros on September 24th, 2010, 9:54 am

Brunhild nodded to Val, realizing that she had not introduced herself and merely sat down and listened. She cleared her throat softly. "My apologies. My name is Brunhild, and I am an Endal. The rumors intrigued me very much, so I came here to learn more about it, and perhaps to solve the problem," she smiled kindly. From her posture and her grace, you could perceive her to be a very fierce and snooty person. But as you get to her facial features, there is nothing but gentleness, friendliness, and understanding. Brunhild was the type to be kind to everyone, and so she nodded with a small smile to Leesa, the Dek who spoke just a while ago. She pitied the girl a little bit, seeing as she had deformed hands that kept her from doing things she might have been very capable of doing. She thought briefly for a moment about the life of a Dek, and how Leesa looked so fragile and submissive. It made her feel terribly reluctant to order her around at all, and wondered for a brief moment if the girl had any time left in her, seeing as she looked so frail and stressed. She silently hoped for the best for the girl.

Her mind was racing. Thoughts, patterns, and possibilities raced through her head like a wildfire in a thick forest. She had the urge to tie her hair, or look around to investigate. She wanted so badly to see the walls herself. The thought of a wall so great that it was so difficult to break down quite intimidated her, but she did not show any signs of insecurity. She looked on eagerly at Sham, who had begun speaking after Leesa had. He looked like a neat-freak, someone who liked order. By the way he cleaned himself up a slight bit made her think so. He looked strong and confident in his words, and his explanation on the walls further piqued her interests on wanting to see and examine them for herself. But of course, she did not want to go and hunt for the culprit alone. She wanted assistance, companions, as well as more information. That were the reasons why she had come to join in on their conversation.

Brunhild glanced over to Rhian. She had been observing the girl for quite some time now, and deemed her quite the unfriendly type. "Or perhaps I'm just perceiving her wrong," she thought to herself, and then turned to Sham as he finished speaking. "Could it be that the walls are... alive?" she tilted her head to the side as she thought. She looked around the kitchens, everything looked decent and ordinary, except that people were arguing here and there, and the noise was ringing in her ears irritatingly. Nonetheless, she paid it no mind. "The ghosts would probably know something about this, something about the music that the walls hum. If one person died from 'following the music', a few more would have as well!" she exclaimed strongly, "We should get someone to hum the song to Leesa then, and perhaps we should consult a ghost whisperer of sorts."

OOCThank you very much Dreamcatcher! Well, I really did try now, to put more descriptions in my posts. Usually I put a lot in my stories, but I was quite reluctant to do so here in role play. I hope this is good enough and that I've improved! Thanks again. :)
Last edited by Brunhild Alalia Ambros on September 29th, 2010, 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brunhild Alalia Ambros
The Skeptical Endal

Words: 22906
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Rhian on September 24th, 2010, 10:24 pm

OOCWell, Rhian's main skill is intelligence gathering, and a good portion of her character is based around it. Realistically, no man can do this alone, and Rhian, limited as she is, has a small web of informers and resources she can use. Unfortunately, her story isn't nearly developed enough (as can be seen by her CS) for these people to have names, faces, and character. So for the time being I left those out.

The gatekeeper was a disconcerting figure. The man has already been called ancient when Rhian was still struggling to walk. His mere presence made the hair on the back of Rhian's neck stand, as if the man was surrounded by a cloud of static energy. The power hidden in the placid looking elder was undeniable. Val was a person to avoid; strong men meant strong enemies. In a way, she felt inferior to him, which made it hard to conceal the resentment she begun harboring.

To keep her youthful and rash mind occupied, Rhian chose to turn her attention on the other attendants. She listened and observed, but paying attention to the small details was like trying to cup water with one's palms; they slipped through even as the woman was trying to hold onto them. Too many. Too many to keep track of, too many to recognise. Even the slightest glimpse into their character was something she could use, or sell. A wave of the hand, an unconscious glimpse sideways, a rubbing of the neck... each was an insight, revealing things no words could.

The woman's upper lip curled with disgust at the sight of the dek's hand, a faint frown creasing her forehead. Fate was cruel indeed to inflict this one with such an infirmity, and even crueler to keep her alive. It would have kindness if she had died, for her sake and for the society's. Wind Reach had only one place for weaklings; the bottom, and did not benefit from these dregs of the Inarta. Nevertheless, Rhian listened, and gathered what meaning she could from Leesa's words.

"My name is Rhian," She allowed when a gap in the conversation opened, and the vapid looking Brunhild introduced herself. "I'm a simple handmaiden," The lie came swiftly, perhaps too much so. Rhian paused to shift her weight on the uncomfortable chair before continuing. "Seems to me that brute force is not the answer here," She smiled at Sham, "Maybe your time would be better spent composing a more elegant solution rather than breaking quality chisels." She winked.

Having stated the obvious, Rhian continued. "I fail to see the connection between our dek's story and the problem at hand," Eyebrow raised, Rhian locked her gaze at Val, "Perhaps your experienced eyes perceive something, am I missing anything??"
Rhian
I'm sure there's a moral in here...

Words: 12003
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Character sheet

Postby Dreamcatcher on October 8th, 2010, 7:34 pm

~Brunhild & Rhian~

As Brunhild spoke about the walls being alive, Val and Sham both seemed to look at her. Sham obviously was taken with the young eagle rider so though his thoughts were clouded they seemed to be working over the possibility. Sham began looking closer at the rock dust about him, as Val raised a fuzzy eyebrow. His fingers slowly twirled on end of his moustache as he thought about Brunhild idea. Then he looked at Rhian as she introduced herself. His deep blue eyes squeezed lightly as Rhian stated that she was a simple servant. Val’s wrinkles multiplied as Rhian jokingly put down Sham. The boy wasn’t very bright but he his work was important.

With a sharp voice, almost if Val held a lash in his throat, he spoke with eyes directed at Rhian. “Girl, you will show respect to your betters. Sham, might not be an Endal but he is a craftsmen, and the vanity you have for your mind will not be tolerated. Forget your past and I will do the same!” Val looked at Sham and Sham had the good enough sense to place his head down in shame. Val worked over his hands for a moment, his knuckles popping as he drew out the silence. He wanted to make sure he kept everyone focused. “Sham, take Leesa and see if you can’t find Harmon, he is the top Reimancer and I believe his shift is over. See if Leesa can’t hum a few bars for them and also follow up on the idea that maybe the rock grew. Harmon might laugh at you, but tell him to entertain the thought. If he gives you two any trouble, you have permission to use my name and if he doesn’t relent, tell him I still remember what happened to him.” Val had a small smile that spoke of mischievous and devious nature.

“Brunhild and Rhian, please find time to investigate the ghost aspect. Whisper can be located in the Shrine of Those That Have Passed, if ghosts from the deep warrens are coming up she will be busy dealing with them. As for following the music, if I remember correctly, the day Herth found Lorlyn, he said that she was confused and talking about music. If the Whisper isn’t able to give you two information, perhaps seek out Lorlyn. Herth wouldn’t be happy about seeing either of you two, many here think Lorlyn has finally become so crazy that she is the cause of this. Herth has kept her under lock and key in her room since this morning.” Val looked disturbed at the thought of Lorlyn.

“We will meet here tonight for evening meal. Follow as much as our leads you can, then we will share the information.” Val slowly got up and realized that perhaps he could help the young people by talking to a few other people and making sure they were given access to the necessary people. As he looked at everyone at the table, his eyes glazed a little bit and for a brief time he simply staring off at the stone walls.

Axel spoke to Brunhild through the telepathic bond. “Val’s eagle is telling everyone that you are to be afforded the greatest of respect, and that you are the leader of some search group. Personally, I am more interested in what your thoughts are on Sham? The way Imsun describes the meeting, Sham is interested making a nest with you… Make sure that bull has to put up a fight for you! If men don’t fight over you, then they aren’t really interested. OH! And smile at him! Boys have no idea that you have feelings for them unless you hit them over the head!” The sound of laughter echoed in Brunhild’s mind as Axel waited for her response.

Toam, one of the men that Rhian had sent came back and nodded to Rhian. It seemed that he had finished his scouting and was ready to report back. Strangely purple dust seemed to cling to his clothes and small beads of sweat showed that he had to done some exercise to find the tunnels. As Rhian looked, he brought out a hand from his pocket that contained a purple amethyst the size of his forearm. The crystal was bound to craftsmen of Inarta, but the sheer size of it was impressive and probably the tale that he had as well.

Val nodded and began to walk away and as he did so, Sham slowly went over to the Leesa. For a moment her small frame was dwarfed by his larger one, she looked terrified of being left alone with a male. Slowly he reached into his pocket and brought out a small piece of dried jerky and gave it to Leesa. Slowly, she smiled and as he softly touched her shoulder, she began to understand that Sham wasn’t going to use her in some back hallway. She placed the jerky in her mouth and began to work it as he led her off, Leesa softly allowed her shirt sleeve to cover her hand.
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Fenilen on October 11th, 2010, 12:16 am

Fenilen flushed for a moment as the Konti commented on hos he had forgotten to give her his name. "Ah! My apologies! Where are my manners?" he shook his head violently. "So sorry. I am Fenilen Ruin, brother of Emory and Nyali Ruin," Fenilen said, smiling and nodding. He knew that people in Wind Reach did not value family much, but he was the exception. For some reason, he had always felt very connected with his siblings. As the woman spoke, he watched her take down her hair, cleaning it with the brush. She was a beautiful woman, that much was for certain. Nothing would come of it, but what was wrong with enjoying the scenery while he was working? Absolutely nothing.

"Singing. If the rocks were also singing, then perhaps this could be a link? Or maybe all three could be linked in some way? Who could tell. I have to find more to find who did this," Fenilen said, furrowing his brow as he thought aloud. "Maybe all three could have been combined? The singing of Shiz, shaping the rock... The horn could have been used to summon denser rock to the paths they carve, while the gloves could have been used to simply enhance this person's already formidable abilities... Perhaps the gloves the people think are the originals are not? Perhaps the originals were stolen, and replaced with fakes, which is why the original does not help to replicate this ability? Too many possibilities, not enough evidence," Fenilen sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. A shake of his head jingled his earrings.

"I need to find more evidence to narrow something down. Thank you for your time, Whisper. Eagles watch your Step," he bowed, smiled, and settled in on the cave floor, waiting for the next group of questioners. He closed his eyes, reflecting on the little evidence he had gathered up until this point. The chief piece of evidence seemed to, undeniably, be the singing of the rock. Rocks did not sing. Ever. It was not natural. Something unnatural must have occurred to make the rocks sing. If Shiz had worked to make the warrens, and had sang, and had died without being discovered, it wasn't entirely unbelievable that she could be haunting the tunnels now. Or at least, that was how he understood this system of undeath worked... Of course, he didn't know much. A frown played across his face.

But there was the problem of a host. It was not entirely unbelievable that a person had become lost in the warrens, and the ghost had claimed them, using its powers that manifested in a physical form to shift the warrens. But how could the ghost have done so much in such a small amount of time? The Reimancers that had been working to cut through the stone spoke as if they would become too physically ill-- or worse-- to continue if they worked too long without shifts. None of it made sense. What could the motive be behind this? Evidence. He needed Evidence. Evidence and Knowledge were the keys to solving this mystery. The young Inarta's mind continued to dance through the topics, trying to find threads that connected the unlikely stories together, trying to find gaps that he needed to fill if he were to solve this mystery.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Words: 144782
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2010, 3:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Renol on October 11th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Renol made his way down through the corridors that lead deep into Skyinarta, his light boots padding softly against the stone floor as he walked along down towards The Shrine. After hearing the rumors and seeing the evidence of what had been going on in the mountain, Renol wanted to try and help in the ways that he knew he could. He wanted to pray, asking the Gods and Goddesses for their guidance and wisdom on the subject. And he knew of no better place to commune with the higher powers then in the Shrine. And also, with some of the rumors that had been circulating, he might be able to see if he could glean some information from the ghosts that shuffled through the Shrine on their way towards the afterlife and rebirth.

He paused as he entered the towering enclave, as he always did when he entered the room. He came down here frequently, most especially before he and Fereo went on longer range hunts, praying to Caiyha for her blessings in the hunt. And doing so never seemed to fail him before. But this was a different situation and called for other Gods and Goddesses to help stop the troubles that had been started. As he paused, he looked over the room once more, his eyes taking in the entire room, which never ceased to take his breath away. He ran his fingers through his hair to calm his nerves, just like he had done since his first time coming here as a child. He still remembered it like it was only yesterday. A warm smile played across his lips at the memories. But he quickly snapped out of his reveries as he saw a figure sitting on the floor. The man's eyes were closed and he seemed to be deep in thought about something. Renol figured it would be best to leave the man to his thoughts and did his best to pass by quietly without disturbing him.

Renol headed over towards one of the prayer benches, kneeling down before it and bowing his head like his parents had taught him to do as he began to quietly pray. In the quiet calm of the room he was worried his words would still carry, but he needed to ask these favors of the goddesses, so he continued anyway," I come before the Higher Powers today to ask for the favor of Semele and Eyris. Please hear my words. Semele, I ask of your favor in help of my people, the Inarta. I ask you to challenge whoever or whatever it is that is changing your shape within our home. Impeded the path of their powers in reshaping your form to cause us harm. I thank you for hearing my words, Mother Mizahar. Eyris, Wise One, I ask of your favor upon those in Inarta who are searching for the cause to the troubles that have started. I ask that you gift them with your insight and intelligence to find the causes of the changed being made to our home. Clear their thoughts and lead them towards the answer that we all seek to see these troubles brought to an end. I thank you for hearing my words.” Slowly, Renol rose to his feet, looking over towards the man to see if he had disturbed him.

OOCI hope that this post was alright. I know it is a little bit short and I'm sorry. I tried get as in depth as possible without impeeding or metagaming or anything. If I need to change anything, just let me know. Thanks for letting me join, as well.
Last edited by Renol on October 12th, 2010, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renol
The Be All and Endal...

Words: 68637
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2010, 2:07 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sairque on October 12th, 2010, 2:29 pm

OOCJust kinda plopped her in here, let me know if I need to change anything or missed something. Thanks for letting me hop in late!

The ghost with the broken leg hovered just a few feet from where Sairque had stood listening to the exchange between Whisper and the one that eventually named himself as Fenilien. Luckily, she had come in right as they started talking and, being respectful, stood just far enough away to be able to hear but not interrupt. Whisper was a busy woman, after all, and Sai wasn’t going to make her feel like she needed to stop and offer pleasantries or reiterate anything.

The Konti stretched, gave her last bit of wisdom and started packing up, which Sairque took as a hint that the conversation was wrapping up. Fenilen had a few more questions, or clarifications, but at this point it would not be quite the interruption for her to join them.

For long moments, she stood with her hands on her hips and her eyes searching through the artifacts that lined walls. A bow, a harness, some gems, a sword, gloves, even what looked like a jar of eyeballs. Some things were obviously expensive, with decorative tooling in precious metals or gems, some were practical and well worn, and she would bet that all were a little dusty.

Finally, with her thoughts in order, all those little tidbits sorted into ‘maybe useful’, ‘probably not useful’, and ‘immediately useful’, Sai crossed the distance between herself and Fenilen. On her way by, she nodded respectfully to the ghost as it waited, knowing it had the virtue of patience thrust upon it and would likely find it’s newest wait pass in the blink of an eye.

Across the room, another man entered the shrine. She recognized him as a rider, and let him go about his business. He didn't seem inclined to speak with Whisper or Fenilen, at least not immediately, so she said nothing to alert him of her presence as he prayed. Though, it did cross her mind to enlist him in the search for the ghost, or whatever, was behind the shifting passages. After he had prayed, and after she had spoken with the man, Fenilen.

Her reflection passed underneath her, tied to her feet, on the polished stone floor as she came to stand next to the seated man. If the two were indeed done speaking, and Whisper had no desire to respond to Fenilen’s final thoughts, Sai would speak, not bothered by interrupting his apparent meditation, but she did speak quietly. It wasn't just the man praying, it was he very essence of the place. It wasn't a place for the living to speak out loud, this was a place for the dead to be finally heard.

“Fenilen, you said your name was? I’m Sarique Catabasis, and I believe we could get further exploring the warrens together. Unless you wanted to go speak with Loryn first?” No, she didn’t find it rude to be taking charge of the young man. Who in their right mind would want to go explore caves by themselves, though? Personally, she wanted to go speak with Loryn first, talk to everyone up here before venturing forth into the corpse ridden catacombs.

Whisper was most certainly directing them down to where all three of the powerful reimancers had died or gone missing. They could check out the artifacts, find out where they are, and then head down. Still, in the back of her mind, all the previous talk of Loryn was itching. Simply the immediate association between her and the events was enough to go pay her a visit.

She could feel Catabasis mulling things over, and was starting to get impatient for his thoughts on the matter.
"Oneday I wished upon a star
And woke up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Words: 424341
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 12:15 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Dreamcatcher on October 12th, 2010, 7:08 pm

~Fenilen, Renol, and Sairque~

Whisper smiled and nodded as Fenilen gave her his name, people tended to be out of sorts around her, so she had gotten use to giving people a nudge now and again. Whisper saw as the young man allowed his thoughts to spill upon the floor. It was almost as if a child had poured out a jug of water and stood looking at Whisper at what she would do. Softly her white scaled hands simply began to move the brush through her hair. The moment was simple and elegant like a leaf that had lazily fallen off a branch. As she slowly sat there allowing Fenilen to finish and think, she allowed Sairque to speak to Fenilen as she walked over to a shelf. She picked up two objects and head back to Fenilen and Sairque.

“Fenilen, your thoughts are like water, they go every direction and yet to be contained. If you wish to continue then you must flow down a path like a river.” Whisper held out a pair of old leather gloves. The gloves were worked with metal thread across the backs, forming runes. While a thread went up each finger to the tip and then down into the palm of the glove. In the palm a spiral seemed to be formed by the metal thread and as Whisper moved the fingers, different arcs of the spiral seemed to tighten and loosen. “These were Shasla’s gloves, as you can see the crafting that went into them was grand. Also…” Whisper pulled out a knife and slowly tried to slice the leather. Though the leather looked supple and seemed to give an almost dull shine, it stood against the blade as if she was trying to cut it with a spoon. “… the gloves have been magecrafted. If someone has counterfeited the gloves then they have gone to some great lengths. My people might have done such a thing, creating an artifact that will simply survive some of the lesser tests, but then again we live nearly three times longer than you. Fenilen, I suggested Shasla because her ghost hasn’t returned from the deep warrens.”

Whisper then brought out a dusty lamp. The iron formed a simple hooded cage about the oil wick, it was however the glass that brought the lamp from simple craftsmenship to masterwork. Subtle colors of red, blue, green, yellow, and orange blaze across each of the four panels of glass, the colors seemed to form tiny flames. Fenilen and Sairque could tell that there was still oil in the lamp and as Whisper moved it. “If the two of you must travel down to the deep warrens, then I ask you to take this lamp. I have recently found it in the shrine, once lit it calls to ghosts and they will follow you like a child. I used it this morning to bring all the wandering ghosts to the shrine. Once you blow out the wick, the ghosts stay where you brought them. Please, if you find any of the dead bring them back to me.” Whisper didn’t mention the mark of Dira on the bottom of the lamp. People tended to be very uncomfortable around objects that had been blessed by the Goddess of Death.

As Whisper had been talking to Fenilen and Sairque, Renol began to rise to his feet. In front of him was a poorly dressed man with a clubbed foot. The man had an ethereal quality about him as Renol looked at his right side. The man was dressed like a dek, bruises and ragged cuts lined down his face and arm. The man fully turned to Renol, and as he faced Renol, his right side was uncovered. As Renol looked on, the deks right side was horribly misshapen, his arm and rib cage had several bones sticking out, while his right side of his face had been crushed. The dek seemed very intense for a moment, and then Renol heard something within his mind. “Jaz?” Fereo spoke in his mind. Renol had heard that all Wind Eagles had been Inarta in previous lives, but never before had Fereo spoke about his previous life.

The voice that came from the ghost was deep and torn, “I am Jaz, Endal I ask that you come with me and uncover my friend’s bodies. They were buried in a horrible cave in and their souls are trapped. I was only half covered and once the way was opened I was able to come here for help. Please, I have waited many years for my friends to find peace.” Renol felt a deep sadness for Jaz coming from Fereo. Whatever the bond between this ghost and Fereo was, it had been a deep one. As for the Goddesses' help that Renol had been asking for… they remained silent.

Whisper, Fenilen, and Sairque heard and felt the words of the ghost Jaz. His voice carried pain so deep that it almost soaked into their bones. Whisper seemed to breathe a deep sigh and then spoke, “I am afraid that there are many more ghosts to attended to, if you two decided to go my I recommend finding someone who can authorize provisions for you. Sadly, I take care of the dead and have little pull with the living.” Whisper began walking over to Jaz and she gave a look to Fenilen to make sure he kept his promise about talking to the next group of Inarta.

Renol saw the Konti, Whisper, come over, softly she placed her hand upon Jaz’s shoulder. “Jaz, this Endal came here to pray, please if you can wait I will listen to your story and find your friends in a few days?” Whisper spoke with a hopeful tone, realizing that it might take seasons if not years to go after a dead dek mining crew. Still she was here to hear the dead’s pain and see if she couldn’t help them along. Renol felt Fereo didn’t want to ask him to help Jaz, but he was also working himself in a spiraling depression over if anyone would even care about finding Jaz’s friends. The eagle knew that bodies were probably ground to dust wouldn’t warrant the danger of going into a collapsed shaft, but in front of him was Jaz and Fereo wanted to help him.
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Fenilen on October 16th, 2010, 4:03 am

and out the window went his theory about the gloves. A frown played its way across Fenilen's face, but he nodded understandingly. "In order for a river to flow, Whisper, it must first carve a path," Fenilen said certainly, locking eyes with her. He smiled confidently. If only he was as confident as he pretended to be on the outside.

Then, a familiar voice rang out behind him. If it had been any other voice, the Inarta would have been irritated, angered, even, about the interruption of his thought process. However, this person had a bit of wiggle room. Fenilen rose to his feet, spinning around, chuckling at the woman. He approached her, squeezing her tightly. "You're not feeling to bright today, are you Sai?" he whispered in her ear, patting the area between her shoulder blades once or twice before withdrawing, holding her at an arms length. A grin decorated his face, once that encompassed his eyes and his lips-- a genuine one. A hand drifted from her left shoulder into her hair, where he tousled it playfully, giggling childishly. He hadn't grown much since she had met him a year ago-- only become slightly more open around her. By slightly, I mean a lot.

He then backed off, ceasing the physical contact they had been sharing. "How are you, besides the aforementioned lack of brightness?" Fenilen asked curiously, tilting his head and smirking. The glass earrings dangling from his ears clinked together as he did so, the painted eagle feathers drooping. After their little greetings were exchanged, Fenilen's attention turned to Whisper, whom had approached them with a particularly ornate and important-looking lamp. Scratch that. VERY important looking lamp. He took it gingerly, careful not to damage the beautiful panels of glass on the side. His inner artisan wept. Oh, what he would give to possess the skill to make a piece like this! He would donate his very soul!

If Shasla's ghost had not been found, than perhaps it would be best to find it and return it to the Shrine promptly. Yes, that was the course of action he would rake. He bowed his head respectfully, gripping the lamp firmly in once hand. "Thank you, Whisper. I will make sure no harm comes to the lantern," he said calmly and certainly. Then, turning back to Sai, he spoke once more. "Would I be correct in assuming you'll tag along with me to solve to mystery, Sai?" The red-headed man tilted his head once more, and the same tinkling sound occurred. One almost thought he was doing it on purpose.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Words: 144782
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2010, 3:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhian on October 16th, 2010, 11:36 am

Rhian's eyes flashed red with anger and rage at Val. His rebuke made her feel like a child caught doing something incredibly foolish. It was galling beyond belief. Her jaw tightened so that she felt her teeth might shatter. It was all she could do lest she says something truly stupid. "Sham," Rhian said finally, realizing she had no alternative, "I apologize if I have given offense, I was but trying to give advice." The apology had all the sincerity one might hear in a particularly corrupt and venal politician.

At that moment, she decided she'd get back at the old man. Everyone has skeletons, and old men most of all. I will uncover them all, she vowed with spite, I will shame him; given time, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero. But not today... today she needed to be loyal, she needed to be smart, and so she nodded and stood up. "As you wish, gatekeeper," Running a tattooed hand through her hair, Rhian turned and left the room with a droll smile, every step marked with a lubricious grace.

On her way to meet Whisper, Rhian caught sight of Toam and the amethyst he inconspicuously showed her. The man couldn't report to her for as long as Brunhild was around. "I'll join you later," She said to her companion, not bothering listening to a reply; the woman had an intellect rivaled only by gardening tools, whatever she had to say was not worth listenting to.

Rhian graced Toam with a wink and turned quickly into a side tunnel that she reckoned to be deserted where she waited for him. "I hope no one is going to miss this rock?" She demanded when he joined her, "Last thing I need is for you to raise suspicion, or get caught." Her hand once again moved instinctively to her neck, searching for her lost luck. She continued. "Well, what do you have for me?"
Rhian
I'm sure there's a moral in here...

Words: 12003
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Character sheet

PreviousNext