Closed Why me? (Drusilla)

Drusilla approaches Azira for archery lessons

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Azira on September 5th, 2013, 11:32 am

6th Fall, 513 AV, 20th Bell

Azira stood in the Second Quiver archery range, rooting through the general store of arrows. She was looking for good arrows that she could practise with rather than wasting her hunting arrows. Finding ones she liked that were light but sturdy, she took her place on the range. There weren't too many people on the range  because it was late in the evening. It suited her just fine, she didn't like an audience when she was practising.

Anyone who knew that Azira had been out hunting earlier in the day would be surprised to see her with a bow in her hand once more. Most hunters wouldn't practise their bow skills after coming back from a hunt because the hunt itself was enough practice. Not Azira. Archery was a recreational activity for her as well as something necessary for her profession. The only other thing that could relax her was reading but she'd considered it too late to be going to the Enclave so she was in the range instead.

She positioned herself in one front of one of the targets and selected an arrow. Nocking it, she aimed and released it quickly. It missed the bullseye. She frowned. She still wasn't good enough to shoot that straight at that speed. Azira selected another arrow, taking her time to line up her shot. The string hummed and the arrow thunked into the centre of the target. Smiling to herself, she shot another arrow, splitting the one already in the centre. It was a waste of an arrow doing that but it was a cool trick.

As she repeated the action again, she could feel a strange tingling sensation on the back of her neck. It was as if someone was watching her shoot. She glanced sideways but nobody else who was shooting was paying any attention to her. Feeling a little nervous, she lowered her bow and glanced behind her. Azira froze, her eyes widening as she saw who'd been watching her.
Last edited by Azira on September 19th, 2013, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Drusilla on September 9th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Drusilla had been watching the woman closely. Trying to learn from observing her. It was obvious she knew what she was doing. Drusilla took note of her stance, posture, and arm movements. There was a good flow to her movements.

This would be the one to ask. Yes, she seemed best at this and somewhat approachable. But she was a hunter.... A hunter who had no doubt come across other's of Drusilla's kind. The confidence that had slowly been building inside her deflated. She let out a sigh perhaps louder than she meant to. The woman turned around eyes wide to Dru who stared back just as tense as the Inarta woman.

After a round of staring Drusilla found her voice, "H-hello m-miss you s-seem p-pretty good at t-that a-and I-I was wond- Wait.." She took a deep breath, "My name is Drusilla and I mean you no harm. I live here in Wind Reach, you can ask around I'm no threat. Despite living here, I don't know how to use a bow and arrow... I was trying to learn a thing or two by watching you. That's all...."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Azira on September 9th, 2013, 10:29 pm

The Avora couldn't believe it. She was looking at a Symenestra, a real Symenestra. She hadn't seen one before, she'd only read about them in books and she'd had no idea that there was one in Wind Reach. The drawings she'd seen of them didn't do them justice, in reality they weren't as sinister as they'd been made out to be. This one's name was Drusilla and she had no idea why she'd decided to watch her of all the people in the range.

"I wouldn't have thought that you were dangerous. If you were then you wouldn't be here still. I was just surprised, I haven't seen a Symenestra before," Azira explained, cocking her head to one side as she watched this timid creature which could easily kill her. "You won't learn much by watching someone shoot. You need to hold the bow yourself, have the right posture, feel how difficult it is to pull back the string. You need someone to show you and correct you, you can't do that yourself," she told the woman.

She went to resume her shooting but the Avora found that she couldn't concentrate now that she knew that someone was watching her every movement. Sighing, Azira turned back to Drusilla. "I'm sorry but did you want something? Only it's a little distracting just having you stand there, looking at me," she told her simply.

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Drusilla on September 29th, 2013, 3:11 am

"Yes, I have a request, if you would be so kind. Would you teach me? I'd make something for you as payment as I am a seamstress. I'm sure there's something a lovely huntress like you might want or need. Be it something pretty or something functional. Also I'll teach you somethings of Symenestra."

Drusilla had made her best offer, now it was up to this bold woman. She hoped she would accept. Drusilla felt the need to help with the food issues of Wind Reach and though she had been born with fangs and claws neither were effective ways of game hunting for the city. Claws meant getting too close to the target and breaking one of her fragile bones, the same applied to her fangs and the fact anything bit was poisoned and unfit for anyone but her to eat as the tissue liquefied. Bow and arrows were the best way, she could scale up a tree and safely shoot from there.

"So what do you say?"
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Azira on September 29th, 2013, 9:53 am

The huntress shifted uncomfortably. Teach a Symenestra archery? They weren't the most robust people and Azira didn't know how to teach either. But the offer was tempting. She didn't really have the money to go buying clothing and while her hunting clothes were all well and good, it'd be great to have something a little more...dressy on the off chance that she might be invited somewhere. The only problem would mean that she'd have to teach this woman whose arms looked as brittle as twigs how to draw back a bow. It could end very badly but then it would be the Symnenestra's fault, wouldn't it?

"Well if you think you're up to it..." the Avora began, looking uncertainly at the woman's fragile form. "...then I'm willing to take clothing in exchange for me teaching you but I warn you that it'll be hard. It isn't anywhere as easy as it looks and I've never taught anyone before either so it might not go too well. And I'm not very patient," she explained, her arms across her chest as she regarded the woman. It would certainly end up being very interesting to see how the woman would deal with this.

"So, are you still up for it?

x

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Drusilla on October 9th, 2013, 3:31 am

Drusilla caught the Inarta woman eyeing her spindly form. "Of course. Don't underestimate me or my frame. I've met many Symenestra who have been wonderful marksmen and archers."Growing up most of her father's friends used bows. They were popular, the only weapon that bested them in popularity was the Symenestra Lash. Some carried both. Come to think of it... on her trip back to Kalinor the fleching shop had expanded. Dru smiled, "Looks can be deceiving. I, I don't believe I caught your name."

Drusilla was feeling a bit more confident now, smiling and making eye contact. "So any idea of what I'll make for you? I don't really need much detail right now just if I should buy leather or satin.... and maybe some colors you like..."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Azira on October 9th, 2013, 2:51 pm

The huntress continued to eye her doubtfully but she shrugged, taking the woman's word for it. Looks could be deceiving though, few would believe herself was a hunter considering her short stature. The woman voiced the same idea before asking her name and questioning her on clothing.

"My name's Azira, perhaps I should have mentioned that earlier," she replied and then thought deeply about what she'd want Drusilla to make. Perhaps she could make her a dress or something, not that Azira could ever imagine herself in one. If she wore one, it'd have to be of a light material considering the temperature of the city but as for colour, she had no idea. Untwisting a strand of fire red hair, the teen examined it closely. What colour would go with it rather than clashing? She had no idea and didn't really have an eye for such things either.

"Hmm...maybe a dress of whatever material you can find that's light. It's too hot in the mountain for anything heavy but I've no idea what colour. What colours wouldn't clash terribly with my hair?" she questioned.

x
Last edited by Azira on October 10th, 2013, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Drusilla on October 10th, 2013, 2:43 am

"First off Miss Azira, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. Symenestra don't have colorful hair, ours only goes from black to white and the shades in between with black being most common. If I could have hair like yours.... Anyway, I work with many people with the Inarta hair worries, and there are plenty of workable colors, think fall colors. Gold is a popular choice with women, but bronze would be lovely too.

As for something light and airy, there are some choices light linens, satins, and silks. So there are no worries there on lack of materials. How much skin do you want to show? Sleeves, straps, or strapless. Along with length full, knee, or something more daring?"
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Azira on October 10th, 2013, 9:04 pm

OOCJust to let you know the dress would have to be payment sometime after the 60th of Fall or it might be better to wait to give it to Az in Winter. I've kind of arranged things so that she wouldn't have to dress for most of the season. There's no rush just so you know.

The huntress frowned, seriously considering how to answer the seamstress's question. She wasn't really something she knew about, fashion, so she couldn't really figure out what would suit. Maybe she shouldn't have suggested a dress but the teen found that she was suddenly feeling more adventurous than usual at the idea. Perhaps it was a chance to wear something a little less conservative than her usual style of dress. It wasn't that she wanted to attract a man, she could do that without trying, but perhaps she might want to impress someone in the future.

"How about gold? But not gaudy, I don't like gaudy. Perhaps in silk with straps and I think I'd have to say something a bit daring for a bit of a change," she explained. She knew that a dress like that would probably cost a fair bit but then she wasn't paying for it and Drusilla had suggested silk so it was really her own fault.

The teen moved to the storeroom, retrieving a spare bow. She handed it to the Symenestra and then assumed an authoritative position, holding her bow by her side and placing one hand on her hip.

"Enough about dresses, I'm in no rush for it anyway. We'll go over a few basics. We'll go with stance, that's important, and I'll get you to practice pulling the bow string back. You need to build up the strength in your arms a bit before you start firing arrows and I won't have any sloppy technique either. You have to be willing to practice a little bit everyday. You might be able to start shooting by the end of the season if I have the time to teach you. I'll only be able to meet with you every once in awhile. Understood?" she explained everything to the woman.

x

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Why me? (Drusilla)

Postby Drusilla on October 16th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Drusilla nodded at Azira words and took the bow. She studied the bow itself for a moment. She watched what Azira did intently. Dru mimicked her stance and attempted to pull the string and met it's resistance. A noise of surprise escaped her lips followed by a smile. A second try didn't bring her much closer that her first try. However Drusilla was determined, she would master this... Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But it would happen. She took up her stance again. She muttered to herself in Symenos, it became chant-like. This time as she pulled the string moved, not much...But it had moved.

Readying herself once more Drusilla had to marvel at the strength hidden in Azira's arms and wondered how strong she really was. She hid her power well, her arms looked just as thin and feminine as any other girl. However, now that she knew better... She would try to stay in Azira's good graces. As for anyone who crossed her, Drusilla hoped she was there to see Azira knock them out.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets