Dire and Dynastic Glassworks BP

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Postby Acteon Zulaca on September 5th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Name: Dire & Dynastic Glassworks

Business Type: Goods and Services

Services Offered:
Novice Glasswork Training - 8 gm/dayA full work days worth of training in novice level Glasswork + You can keep whatever you made.
Custom Glasswork - Inquire via PM!

Items Sold:
(Virtually all of the items of D&D are made of glass in some form or another. To complement this, several different types and colors of glass might be made. Some things can't be made of certain glasses, so for the sake of a solid BP I'll list those with their item.)

[Types of Glass]
Everything in D&D is made out of glass (except where stated otherwise), though there are several colors and types. Kenashern is the standard, though D&D offers many of its products in different arrangements.
Clear - x3
Color, Green/Brown - x.75
Color, Umber - Listed
Color, Yellow - Listed
KenashernMade from sand native to the coastal areas surrounding Kenash, this sand is rich in minerals that create a plethora of unique earthen tones when blown. - Listed
Glitter Glass, Clear - x7 (Limited Supply)
Bubble Glass (any color) - Optional
Crackled Glass (any color) - Optional

[Glass Items]
Beakers and Vials, 1-6 oz. - 5 sm/oz.
Pendant Vial, 2 oz. - 2 gm
Bottles and Decanters, oz. - 5 cm/oz.
Bottles and Decanters, pt. - 5 sm/pt.
Bottles and Decanters, gal. - 5 gm/gal.
Bowls, oz. - 7 cm/oz.
Flasks, oz. - 1 sm/oz.
Flasks, pt. - 1 gm/pt.
Cups/Goblets/Mugs, 8 oz. - 6 sm/oz.
Cups/Goblets/Mugs, pt - 6 gm/pt.
Jar, 8 oz. - 5 sm
Jar, pt. - 6 gm
Pitcher, 2 qt. - 2 gm
Pitcher, gal. - 7 gm
Vase - 5 gm
Glass Ball, 1-36" diameter - 5 sm/in.diam.
Shot Glass, 2 oz. - 1 sm
Snuff Box, 3 oz. - 3 sm
Window Glass, 1'x1'x.5" - 20 gm/sq.ft.

[Outdoors, Wilderness and Exploration]
Sighting LensClear glass only. - 55 gm

[Entertainment Gear]
Bag of GlassContains a variety of different kinds of colored glass, cut to resemble gemstones. 50-100 pieces in a bag. - 10 gm

[Musical Instruments]
OcarinaCannot be made of Bubble or Crackled glass. - 5 gm

[Melee Weapons]
Weapons cannot be made of Bubble or Crackled glass.
(Tiny)
Dagger - 4 gm
(Small)
Kris - 10 gm
Iron FanIt's called an iron fan due to usually being made of metal. However our shop produces them in fine sharpened glass. - 50 gm
(Medium)
Sword, Cane - 70 gm

[Poisoncraft]
Bolt, Glass-BulbComes in standard glass only. - 1 gm

Base Income: Glassblower 7 gm/day
Skill Bonus: 1.5x
Total Income: 10 gm/day
Revenue: 540 gm/season or 2,160 gm/year / 900 gm/season@40% Bonus or 3,600 gm/year@40% Bonus

Assets:
[First Floor]
Shop (Simple) - 1,200 gm/800 sq.ft.
Hot Shop (Simple) - 700 gm/400 sq.ft.
Storage (Simple) - 250 gm/400 sq.ft.
Philtering Lab (Simple) - 700 gm|400 sq.ft.
[Structure Total (-25%)]
2,675 gm
[Equipment]
High Quality Coffer/Lockbox - 1 gm, 5 sm
Lock, Good - 80 gm
Toolkit, Glassblower's - 45 gm
Toolkit, Engraver's - 50 gm
2 Cupboards, Good - 8 gm
Shelf Set, Fine - 4 gm
Butt, 108 gal. - 20 gm
[Employment]
Symenestra Clerk - 4 gm/day (not included in loan)
[Raw Materials]
Glitter (4 Pouches) - 100 gm
Lead, 60 lb. - 30 gm
Iron, 80 lb. - 40 gm
Clay, 30 lb. - 3 sm
Salt, 5 lb. - 25 gm
Kenashern Sand, 60 lb. - collected
Silk/Wool/Leather Cloak - per necessity
[Remaining Funds]
1,954.5 gm (returned to debt)

Debt: 3045.5 GM - Zulaca Dynasty
Last edited by Acteon Zulaca on September 9th, 2013, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ON HIATUS - [strike]Until I replace my old broken computer[/strike] Returning the 1st of Winter season!
Acteon Zulaca
Dire and Dynastic

Words: 13005
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gillar on September 8th, 2013, 7:37 am

A good idea and good business plan however there are a couple of things that need addressed before we can move on to full approval.

First, I am curious as to why you are selling weapons as a glassblower. I can see MAYBE selling a small number of simple, tiny, glass ornamental weapons yet, while you have a good amount of skill in glassblowing, you have none in weaponry, any smithing skill, weaponmaking or any weapon related skills. So selling weapons in a glass shop doesn't really fit.

Now, until I add a shop specifically designed for glassblowing into the price list, you can use the smithy listing instead and just make it a hot shop. However, you have a Philtering Lab listed however you do not have any skill in philtering to be able to operate it. Perhaps, if you wish to gain skill in philtering later, you could add on to your shop by building a lab then.

My final question/comment involves something in your income section.

Revenue: 540 gm/season or 2,160 gm/year / 900 gm/season@40% Bonus or 3,600 gm/year@40% Bonus

I am curious what the 40% bonus part is about.

Other than those things I mentioned, I think you got a good idea going and look forward to approving this business once the above items are addressed.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Acteon Zulaca on September 9th, 2013, 8:25 am

• Is it cool if I'll remove everything but alternative stuff like the cane, fan and maybe the daggers?
  • I can't have the structure without the skill? I thought I could just buy the lab and use it to learn as I go. My NPC is also a novice Philterer.
  • Those are the seasonal and annual estimates for profit. The first are the base price at Competent skill and the second are the price at Competent skill with the fullest possible bonus such as for written sales and story teller bonuses. Both are after employment/recurring costs. It's not the actual income, just an example of the maximum possible income.
Thank you, I look forward to it too :)
ON HIATUS - [strike]Until I replace my old broken computer[/strike] Returning the 1st of Winter season!
Acteon Zulaca
Dire and Dynastic

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gillar on September 16th, 2013, 7:54 am

The problem I am having with the selling of non-glass items is that it really doesn't make much sense for someone to go to a glassblower to purchase things like canes, fans or weapons. However, if the items were glass, such as a glass cane or perhaps a fan like this: Image
or a dagger shaped from glass, I could totally see it.

That said, I could see you expanding out with your craft to include daggers with glass handles and metal blades upon attaining some basic weaponsmithing skill or wooden/bone canes adorned with a variety of colored glass upon attaining basic woodcarving skills.

Some businesses lend themselves to being able to offer a variety of goods. These are usually more generalized merchants operating the equivalent of a general store. Other establishments may offer side items that are part of a theme or a brand. Said items might not be directly tied to the business; example being an herbalist shop offering robes for sale, but they would be somehow linked more than superficially to the herbalist shop. In this example, the herbalist is offering robes specifically designed with pockets/pouches for aiding in the collection and carrying of herbs and herbalist equipment. This is why, if you wish to sell canes, fans and daggers, I suggest you do them of glass and/or gain a few basic skills that would allow you to combine glass and other materials.

As for the philtering lab, technically you don't need the related skill unless the description of the structure specifically calls for one. The reason I question your inclusion of one is not as much the lack of the philtering skill but more that it doesn't exactly fit with a glassblower combined with the lack of a philtering skill. The NPC philterer would of course take care of part of that issue but I guess my question now would be are you wanting a philtering lab to make it easier for you to learn philtering or are you wanting the lab to somehow benefit your business? The main purpose of the business/business plan is to establish a business. Related structures and shop price lists should reflect the business and work to promote the operation and success of the business (they should all be tied together closely). Additional inclusion of structures or items that are more related to the personal improvement of the character separate from the business, isn't encouraged, at least not in the initial foundation of the business.

So for example, if you were to start your glassblowing business and want to expand on a side hobby of maybe magecrafting, you are more than welcome to construct or have constructed in-thread a magecrafting laboratory. After the initial establishment of the business, you can add on or build up whatever you want (however it is best that you keep side-projects like that separate from your business (in principle anyway) unless they are meant to be a part of said business.

So if the philtering lab is a part of the initial business establishment, as the npc philterer would signify, you need to give some details as to how the philtering lab will work with the business as a whole.

In closing, yes, you could probably keep the canes, fans and daggers but you would have to somehow integrally link them to your business or your family in the case of a Kenash business in a way that is more than just superficial (see previous comments regarding theme/brand).

I am more than willing to work with you on the things I mentioned earlier but please understand my main focus with the business plans is to make sure the foundation of the business is sound and as many potential questions/issues are resolved up-front to prevent you from having too many potential problems/complications in the future.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Acteon Zulaca on September 28th, 2013, 1:58 am

Everything except the cloaks are all-glass yes, and the ones I asked to start with are all simple things that could either be stretched and blown or that could come out of a mold. Glass blades in glass cane sheaths with ornate glass handles. Glass daggers with shaped and blown handles and pommels. Things like that no? Meanwhile I had simple cloaks of the various fabrics listed as a business cost. That's an awesome picture by the way. The philtering lab is because the skills mention that philtering is needed to learn more than a few basic colors for the glass so it is business related so that I can expand the merchandise into other colors and patterns eventually.
Acteon Zulaca
Dire and Dynastic

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gillar on November 26th, 2013, 8:43 am

Approved with the following notations/modifications:

Thank you for the clarification on the items to be sold, that makes much more sense to me now. Also, with the philtering, that too sounds feasible after your explanation. Enjoy!

Business Plan Disclaimer: I am approving this business plan and the plan alone. Final approval for the business location is left in the hands of the attending Storyteller and any/all NPCs must still be approved.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)