Interviewing!- Seasonal Quest

Lorick, Aider, Xeona, Roshtah. Let the investigation Begin!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Abstract on October 4th, 2013, 5:23 pm

The maid sighed at Aider's questions, nodding her head they shaking it at the first two. Her eyes were cast down, staring stubbornly into her hands. "He's not clumsy as far as I know... but normally I don't serve in that area... I was just passing by, and then I heard the noise... and you know what happened..." she shrugged, sighing again, and awaited her next questions.

Seemingly faced with a stare-down, the ambassador responded in kind, leaning back in his chair with arms crossed. After nearly a chime of silence, he sighed, resting his arms on the table again. "Could you actually ask more questions? Or are you finished. I have important things to get to, unlike you." He snorted, and leaned his chin in one arm, elbow propped on the wood surface. His face was blank, expressionless as he stared at Roshtah.

OOCAsk me questions! Lotsa questions! We don't want this to drag on...
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Lorick Trahern on October 9th, 2013, 1:39 am

Lorick watched in silence as Aider left the room. Where the man was going, Lorick didn't know. It annoyed him of course, because now he had to handle the woman alone. And he was never very good at handling women, a weakness Lorick knew he needed to address. But in truth, he found women often responded best to other women. He hadn't wanted to do this; Trahern's now-wasted Hypnotism earlier had consumed valuable Djed, but if he was going to get any usable information from this woman he needed to be less intimidating.

"If you will excuse me," Lorick said dryly, pushing off the wall and silently moving toward the door. Normally, he'd have rushed to the Flaxen district to acquire a dress or at least different clothing, but the maid appeared to be too distraught to really notice fine details, so Lorick thought he would be safe.

Finding a quiet corner, Lorick began the transformation, beginning with his head and working his way down. As ticks went by, he made sure to remember in his mind's eye what the woman looked like, having seen her so many times. The flowing brown hair, large expressive eyes, full red lips, ample bosom. As the female form filled out his gender-neutral clothes, Lorick also made sure to recall the woman's voice. It was very important to remember this; after all, it was useless to look like a woman, but sound like a man.

There really wasn't any moment that the transformation would be "complete". Lorick always had to check; were the hands too large? Nose too sharp? Making minor corrections until he was satisfied he had achieved something close enough to the desired result. He could feel the tell-tale signs of a headache coming on. With his depleted Djed, he could not maintain this form for the entire Bell. Perhaps only fourty-five chimes, or less if he had to use Hypnotism in this form. Lorick hoped he wouldn't have to.

Clearing his throat, Lorick tested his voice, murmuring a few phrases to himself to ensure his voice actually sounded passably female. It was still much lower in pitch than he'd prefer, but it was definitely of the female persuasion, which was all that really mattered. Taking out his small steel mirror, Lorick gave his new appearance one last review, deciding it was sufficient.

The maid might or might not notice that "Lorraine" was wearing the same clothes as Lorick, but Lorick figured in her current state of emotion, such details would escape her. And he was confident he'd be able to lie his way through it even if she did notice.

As soon as Lorick entered the room again he dashed to the maid's side, throwing his arms around her. "Oh your poor dear, to have been there for such a horrible thing!" he cried, as he patted her back.

"Lorick asked if I could maybe ask you a few things," he explained, giving her an apologetic smile. "I suppose he thought you'd be more comfortable with me... I'm Lorraine, by the way. I'm his sister."

Lorick grabbed the chair from the other side of the table and plopped it down next to the maid, so that he was seated right next to her. He gave the maid an encouraging smile and his left hand went to her back, rubbing it comfortingly.

"Don't you worry about a thing, dear. You're perfectly safe now," he cooed. "Oooh, I don't know why Lorick would ask me to do this. I don't know anything about this sort of thing!"

Lorick frowned, pretending to think for a bit. "Well, why don't we start, maybe, with, like, unusual people? I mean, did the ambassador get any weird guests recently? Maybe some guy coming around a lot?"

Lorick pursed his lips just so. "Take your time dear..." he comforted. "Or, umm, how about sounds? Can you describe what you heard? Did you maybe smell anything unusual? If the killer didn't leave the room the way you came, were there any other places he could have left from? Like, a window maybe?"

Lorick didn't want to overload the woman with questions, but he knew he was on an hourglass. An hourglass that had already lost more than half its sand. He needed to get as many answers out of the woman as he could in this form, before his time ran out. Because he could not afford to transform right in front of her; the shock would be too great and he'd not get anything else out of her. So he continued to hug the maid from the side, gently rubbing her back and waiting for her responses.

Boxcode by Savio
Lorick Trahern
Trust Me

Words: 24292
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 10:04 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Xeona on October 10th, 2013, 9:48 pm

"A staring contest won't get us anywhere... Time to start the real deal." Xeona materialized, still being within the ambassador's line of sight. "So do we, mister ambassador. Or should I say, Savée?" Maintaining the creepiness of being a ghost while still being somewhat serious? He still got it.

"I'm sorry, I don't think that I've introduced myself. I'm Xeona. No need to tell me your name, we all in here know it." Xeona moved towards the two humans, placing himself next to Roshtah. "Let's start with some basic questions, shall we? Where were you at the time of the... accident?" Xeona looked over to the ambassador, not with a stern look, but quite relaxed, like they had known each other for a season or two. Nobody ever speaks to stern people, and he knew that from experience.

"If you feel uncomfortable with any question, please tell. I really would like this to end as much as you do." Everything for that one slip-up.

Boxcode by Savio
Don't mind me, just passing though...

"Xeona's speech" "Xeona's thoughts" "Describing stuff" "NPC talks"
Xeona
Sorry to pop in unannounced

Words: 28603
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2013, 6:14 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Abstract on October 14th, 2013, 9:38 pm

OOCWell... we're skipping Roshtah now. And then there was two!

The maid had sniffled a little when both men disappeared, but when Lorick re-entered as a woman, she stared up in surprise. She was about to splutter a confused question, but instantly silenced at his first actions. Of course, his concerns caused her to burst into tears once more, and blubber spectacularly, but it certainly go her talking. She fell for it completely, answering each of his questions without a hesitation... except to sob in the middle of a sentence.

"I don't remember anybody funny coming around... sometimes the other ambassadors visited him, but they always did that. To talk privately and stuff..." was her answer to the first inquiry, wiping her eyes on the hem of her sleeve. They were wet, very wet, and the cloth of her gown had an obvious water stain on them from the tears. She sniffed once or twice, before wiping her nose too.

"Uh... I think I heard a faint growl when I was first passing by the door... its what made me want to check... but then I got called away. Smells... only when I returned to the room a second time did I smell... metal? Salt? I think it was blood." She sighed, a hopeless noise and slumped in Lorick's arms. "He could have gone out the door for all I knew..."

-------------

The ambassador actually looked a little frightened at Xeona's appearance, but quickly regained his composure. He recognized the ghost, and instantly noted down the name he was given. "Hello Xeona" he replied coldly to the introduction, apparently not appreciating the surprise.

"At the time of the accident, I was in my rooms... I'd annoyingly spilt food on myself, and one of the maids was helping me clear up. The one who came with me, actually. So you do have an eyewitness to my location." He glared at the ghost, but seemed to soften slightly at the questioning. He hadn't liked Roshtah, and was relieved that the annoying man had left the room. Dead men had sense, in his opinion.
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Lorick Trahern on October 18th, 2013, 1:40 am

Lorick was stuck. The problem was corroboration. There was no way to frame the maid without corroborating evidence. Something she did or said that he could twist or turn to make her a culprit rather than a victim, but the pieces just weren't falling into place the way he needed them to. And as he continued to listen to the woman blubber out her answers to his questions, he realized he may have to adjust his strategy yet again.

Aider's departure made things very difficult for Lorick. Beyond the waste of Djed he'd caused, the man was also a second point of contact and a second angle of attack on this woman, someone who could provide counterpoint to Lorick's own imposing interrogation style. And while Lorick was fairly good at creating a second angle of attack alone, it was much more difficult when he was on such a tight timeline.

None of his questions had revealed anything he could actually use. Now he could cut his losses here, walk away from the entire endeavor as not worth his time. But then he'd have taken time out of his day, and more importantly expended a great deal of Djed, to accomplish all of nothing. The maid was not the only scapegoat he could pin this on. For now, he'd play the game straight. Grasp opportunities when they came.

The timeline as Lorick had pieced it together went something like this: the ambassador had an accident. One that was not altogether common. The maid assisted in cleaning it up, then left the room. She heard a growling sound, but got called away. Then when she came back she smelled blood; likely the ambassador was already dead. It was clear she hadn't actually seen anything. Lorick tried to determine whether she was lying, but her emotional distress seemed real enough. He'd need to keep her talking to see if she'd contradict herself.

"This growling sound, can you describe it?" Lorick asked. It was the only piece of real evidence that she'd provided. Whatever produced it was either the killer, which might give a clue as to what they were dealing with, or the victim, in which case something very odd was happening. Truth, as it often turned out, is stranger than fiction. Sometimes the best lies are truths too absurd to be believed.

"Was it a loud? Soft? Low? High-pitched? Did it sound like any recognizable animal... like a dog, or a wolf or something? Or did it sound human?" Lorick pressed some more. He needed answers, and his morph was not going to last much longer.

He wracked his mind for other things he could ask. Things he'd only be able to glean in this form. The one odd thing: unless the woman was lying, there hadn't been any unusual visitors. If she was lying about that, she'd be a better liar than Lorick himself, but he didn't have time right now to think about that. He'd have to go over everything she'd said in his mind later and comb through it. For now, he needed to focus.

No odd visitors. If that was true, the culprit must have gotten in some other way. He needed more information. "Umm, I just wanted to know, what was the room like, where the ambassador died? I mean, were there any windows? How many doors were there into the room? Was the room high up, or was it on the ground floor? Was there anybody else assigned to that floor? Anybody else who might've seen something, heard something? Did the ambassador usually eat alone?"

After this, Trahern figured he'd have maybe twenty more chimes before he'd have to excuse himself. He could already feel his Djed stretching, straining to go back to the way they were, their natural state. The effort to maintain his shape was becoming exhausting, and he just wanted to sleep.

A few more questions. That was all he was going to have. Then he'd have to revert, and hope that intimidation could do the rest. Lorick greatly doubted he'd have enough left to even use Hypnotism at that point. He just hoped he could make his last few questions count.

Boxcode by Savio
Lorick Trahern
Trust Me

Character sheet

Postby Xeona on October 19th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Xeona took a quick mental note of what the ambassador was saying. Not because he belived that he was lying, but just for the sake of it. His answer seemed a bit too eager to show evidence that would work in his favor, probably something you get after answering a lot of questions...

"Relax a bit, will you?" Xeona flashed the ambassador a friendly smile. "Nobody's accusing you of anything. The only reason that you're here is because I want to ask some questions that'll help us, that's all." Xeona tried speaking with a laid back voice, like he was speaking to an old friend or something of the like.

"That said... Around what time was this little incident?" Knowing when things happened was vital if they were going to piece everything together later, and this seemed to have happened around the same time as the murder. It could very well be a vital piece of evidence...

"Also, was there someone else that could have access to the room where the other ambassador was killed?" How could he have forgotten that one? It was one of the most important ones to ask, but it was probably lost in thoughts.

Boxcode by Savio

Xeona

Character sheet

Postby Abstract on October 20th, 2013, 12:16 pm

The maid looked a little flustered at the question. "I... I don't know! It wasn't like any... normal... growl... it was... low... I barely heard it, but it was a growl alright. I'm not sure..." She shrugged and sighed, giving Lorick a hopeless look.

When he asked the second question, she frowned, trying to remember the appearance of the room. "I went in there... earlier that day... there was one large window opposite the door, I think... And... yes, another door leading off somewhere to the right. I think it was a dressing room, since that's what there normally is. And a door to the left held a bedroom. I know that since the door was open..." She smiled shyly, before continuing on the rest of the questions.

"Well... It was on the second floor... there was one other maid, but she was off that day... I don't think anyone else was close enough to hear tat growl, it was quiet. And... and... yes, I think he ate alone..." The barrage of questions seemed to confuse her, but gave her something to do other than weep. She sighed, wiping now-dry eyes on her sleeve.

----

The ambassador did seem to relax at Xeona's comments, appreciating the lack of directness. Instead of responding, he nodded at the ghost, the sternness of his expression seeming to fall slightly.

"It was about... 19 bells... I was eating dinner at the time." He had to think on this for a few moments, trying to remember exactly what time he'd been eating at. "And... for access to the room, technically anyone since I don't think he locked his door very much. But... maybe other ambassadors, or the maids? I heard there was supposed to be two on that floor."

OOCOk! This is your last round of questions with these people! Add as much as you can think of, then we're moving on to a short debriefing and the next day :)
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Lorick Trahern on October 22nd, 2013, 7:15 am

OK, now they were getting somewhere. Lorick realized that the woman's position was far more precarious than her hysterical condition would belie. She was the last person to see the ambassador alive. The only other person who could have been there, the second maid, was apparently off that day. But Lorick was no fool. He had to make sure that this was the case.

"I know this is hard, dear," "Lorraine" cooed, rubbing the maid's back and smiling as best he could, despite the strain his Djed was putting on him. This was really stretching him to his limit, but he needed these answers.

"Did the other ambassadors live on the same floor? Were they relatively close? Was there anyone else on that floor besides you and the ambassador at that time? Anybody at all? Doesn't have to be a maid... maybe a guest, another tenant, a dog, anything?"

The dog thing was not a joke. Dogs had fantastic noses; though Trahern was excellent at disguising his face and voice, he had trouble hiding his scent. And a dog could tell the difference. A dog could always tell the difference. If there had been a dog on that floor and it did not identify the maid as being the one that was in the room, then any attempt at framing her would be moot and the whole idea would have to be discarded.

If there wasn't, this plan might still be salvageable. Lorick ruminated over the facts in his head. The only thing that concerned him was that growl. It implied something of a bestial nature murdered the ambassador, and while he could easily lie and claim the woman's own hysteria caused her to imagine it, something about it just struck him as wrong. There was more going on here than met the naked eye.

If the ambassador's murder was politically motivated, why was it not done in Ravok? Or on the road to Nyka, where he'd be most vulnerable? What political benefit is derived from the man's death? Who benefited most from it? Alternatively, if the murder was personally motivated, who hated the ambassador enough to kill him? Or was it a crime of passion? And then there was that growl. And the fact that no one had seen anyone come or go. Second floor, so they were pretty high up. Someone had either climbed up, or flew in...

"That window," Trahern asked, almost offhandedly. "Do you remember if it was open or closed when you last saw the ambassador alive? And if it was closed, was it still closed when you checked back the second time?"

Boxcode by Savio
Lorick Trahern
Trust Me

Character sheet

Postby Xeona on October 24th, 2013, 6:49 am

Xeona was starting to run out of questions to ask the ambassador. He could only come up with a couple, and then he had to ask the ambassador to leave. He'd have to make these count...

One thing that the ambassador said caught Xeona's attention. There was supposed to be two persons on the floor. Maybe the other person had some additional information... "Do you know who was supposed to be there, except from the... victim?" His tone was slightly more serious this time, to show that this question was important, that it could yield important information if it was answered.

One question still remained, however. Who had a motive for killing the other ambassador? Was it personal or political? "Do you know anyone who would want to see him dead?" Not really his best question, but somewhat important anyway. His tone sounded more relaxed again.

Boxcode by Savio

Xeona

Character sheet

Postby Abstract on October 24th, 2013, 3:07 pm

The maid shrugged at Lorick's question. "His rooms were quite close to the stairs... it could have been anyone.. but on the floor at the time? Uh..." she scratched her head, thinking. "I think the other ambassadors were eating in their own rooms at the time, all which were on the same floor." She shrugged and sighed, not quite sure what else to say.

"And the window?" she frowned, trying to remember. "I don't really remember, but I think it was closed..." She gave Trahern another apologetic smile, but all questioning was quickly interrupted. The Dhani entered, telling the pair "It isss time to go. Ssand you for your help, Misss." She took the maid gently by the shoulder, motioning for Lorick to follow. She handed the woman over to a waiting servant, before disappearing into the room inhabited by the ghost and ambassador.

-----

The ambassador frowned at Xeona's question, thinking. "The other ambassadors were on that floor, yes... but they should have all been in their rooms. Other than the maid, no one else." His expression was open and honest, and he shrugged.

"I'm not sure who would want the man dead. No one I know had any grudges, and he was one of the more friendly men... A shame he was killed. He was an excellent negotiator." He grinned widely at the ghost, but the expression quickly turned into a frown. However, before any more could be said, their host slipped in, addressing the man.

"Ssank you for your help, you can go now. Sseona, come wiss me." She led the pair out, leaving the ambassador with the servant and maid, and leading Lorick and Xeona into the first room. She took her place at the table before speaking to her two helpers.

"And ssen ssere wasss two.." she commented sadly, rethinking on the disappearance of Roshtah and Aider. "Now... tell me what you learnt."

OOCJust explain everything you figured out. Discussion can be led in another thread if you want. Just assume you both know what the other knows later on ^-^
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext