Interviewing!- Seasonal Quest

Lorick, Aider, Xeona, Roshtah. Let the investigation Begin!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Lorick Trahern on October 26th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Lorick felt relief, though his face did not show it, when the strange sibilant woman showed up to lead the maid away. His Djed was dangerously close to being drained, and he needed to find a quiet place to undo the Morph before it sent the woman into a paroxysm of shock. Following the woman out of the room, Lorick fairly shook with relief as she went into the room with the ambassador, feeling his Djed snap back into place, the unnatural shape it had taken reverting back to his normal, male appearance. He didn't have time to see if everything was perfect, just a quick glance in his mirror to ensure he looked mostly like he did before. Close enough; and no one was really close enough to him to notice minor changes anyway.

As she led him and a strange-looking man to the room where they first met, and asked what they had learned. Leaning forward and folding his hands, Lorick thought for a moment before speaking.

"The woman was not of much use to us," he replied blandly. "She saw nothing, heard little, knew even less. From what I have gathered, she was assisting the ambassador with a spill, and had gone away for a brief period of time. By the time she returned the man was dead."

Lorick shrugged. "She claims that 'anyone' could have done it as although the room was on the second floor it was near the stairs. I am not entirely convinced."

This was the moment of truth. Did Lorick reveal the growl, and his suspicions about its meaning? Or did he throw blame on the maid, pointing out the fact that she did happen to be the last person to see the man alive? Lorick tossed both ideas about in his head. They both had their merits, but the simple fact was, the maid had no motive for murdering the ambassador, and fabricating a legitimate-sounding one for her was more effort than Lorick was willing to apply to this enterprise.

"She mentioned hearing a low growl coming from the room, which was what made her want to check in the first place," Lorick explained. Well, it was now too late to implicate her. Still, there might be other opportunities down the road. "That, in addition to the fact that the room was not easily accessible, implies a murderer of a bestial nature. Possibly a Kelvic? Perhaps someone with some form of magic."

Such as Morphing. Lorick knew that at more expert skills of his art, mages could grow wings and claws and other such things. Such a mage could conceivably have done this. But why?

"I think what we need to consider here is not the what but the why," Lorick explained. "There are only three possibilities. First: the ambassador was murdered via random chance by a psychopathic madman. In which case the murderer would be too unstable to stay hidden as long as he had."

The issue with madmen was that by definition they did not have a good grasp on reality. So if the ambassador was a victim of bad luck and the killer was just a psycho, then all probability would indicate that murderer would have struck again by now. Since there hadn't been any indication that he, she, it, or even they had, that heavily implied that the killer was not just a crazed insane person.

"Second: the ambassador was murdered by a close friend or relative. Murders of that nature tend to be over a personal issue, such as a mistress." Lorick almost smiled. He'd caused exactly that sort of murder before.

"If it is personal, the question would be who did he know that was close enough. I do not believe any of their families came with them; it was just the three ambassadors. You have questioned one; you can answer that better than I."

Lorick leaned back a bit. "The third is that this was politically motivated. Politics in Ravok can get... dangerous. But the issue here is, who would benefit from such a murder? If this was politically motivated then the timing is crucially important, since it would imply that the murderer waited for the ambassador to be in Nyka before striking."

Despite the severity of the situation, Lorick shrugged and smiled slightly. "If that's true, it actually helps us somewhat. Think about it: there cannot be very many people or organizations that would benefit from such an act. The political fallout of such an action is that the relationship between Nyka and Ravok is strained. Who would reap the rewards from that? And it needn't be necessarily the murderer with the motivation. The murderer may well be a hired blade. But whoever hired him clearly has an agenda."

Truthfully, Lorick had his eyes on the other ambassadors. They may well benefit from their colleague's death, and it was entirely possible that they had... arranged for an unfortunate accident. The only issue was their unfamiliarity with the city of Nyka. If Lorick himself would not yet know where to go to hire a trained killer, despite his status as a fairly competent spy, he doubted the ambassadors would.

"If I may make a suggestion," he threw out, almost casually, "we can try 'killing' another ambassador. Not actually, of course, but if we announce that a second ambassador has been murdered, we can eliminate some of the aforementioned possibilities. Because if this murder was political, the announcement would be sure to send the culprits into a tizzy."

Lorick shrugged and grinned. "Of course, if we kick that particular hornet's nest, we'd have to deal with the angry hornets. But at least we'd know where the hornets are."

Boxcode by Savio
Lorick Trahern
Trust Me

Words: 24292
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 10:04 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Xeona on October 29th, 2013, 11:55 am

As the Dhani entered the room, Xeona excused himself to the ambassador and walked out with Lorick and Saliss. As Lorick told the two what his little chat with the maid has been yielding, he got reminded that he hadn't got as much time with the ambassador as Lorick had with the maid...

As he was finished, it was Xeona's turn to explain what he had gotten out from his little chat with the ambassador. It surely wasn't a lot, but maybe it could help somehow... "Alright, so the little interrogation with the ambassador hasn't been giving much. He wasn't aware of a lot that could help..."

Xeona pondered about something that stood out, something that was somewhat helpful to this case, something that could help the tiniest bit. "He did know that the door was usually unlocked, and that practically anyone could enter. He did not have any real enemy, however..."

"The only other person that was supposed to be on that floor was the maid. But it does seem like someone else did it, since the maid was on another floor." Xeona really had a hard time getting out any good parts of the short answers of the ambassador, and could only work out one more.

"If it helps, the crime was committed around 19 bells... when the ambassador was eating dinner." After he had said that, he waited for what Saliss would say next.

Boxcode by Savio
Don't mind me, just passing though...

"Xeona's speech" "Xeona's thoughts" "Describing stuff" "NPC talks"
Xeona
Sorry to pop in unannounced

Words: 28603
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2013, 6:14 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Abstract on November 1st, 2013, 5:39 pm

OOC :
I'm so sorry for the delay on this! I had to figure something out... also, NaNo and dealing with Ravok will slow me down a bit... so sorry. Also, I recommend reading up on Baldy's thread, since they figured out something important... so assume any knowledge they have will be shared...

Saliss nodded at all the information given. "Sssoundsss good. We are done for today... but come back tomorrow, sssame time. We will talk to two more ambassssadorssss..." She stood and excused herself, commenting "You can talk for a bit, if you want." Without another word, she slipped out of the room.

--Fall 25th--

The next day, the Dhani could be found in her usual spot. When the two men arrived, she nodded, before immediately standing. "Your people are already in sse roomsss. Go to your original room. Lorick, I will join you, then go with Ssseona." She led said man into the same room as before, taking one of two seats.

Inside was a slightly smaller, more scrawny ambassador. His fingers were callused, but also held ink stains... an odd combination. He had stringy blond hair, barely combed, and his expression kept flickering. "Hello" he said, voice strong despite his appearance. "Nice to meet you... I guess you're going to ask me stuff? Well... I'm Larien... one of the Ravokian ambassadors... You two are..?" His held a mild curiosity in his expression, and a small smile.

Saliss leaned back in her own seat, content to let her companion do the work for now... she wanted to see his methods when with company. However, she did reply to the introduction. "You may call me Ssaliss." The Ravokian looked quite surprised at the accent, but didn't say anything.

-----

Xeona's interviewee sat still and quiet in the room, gazing blankly at the wall. He didn't say anything as the ghost entered, instead watching the movements with emotionless eyes. His hands sat clasped loosely in front of him, and he was leaning back in his chair... looking utterly relaxed.
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Lorick Trahern on November 4th, 2013, 12:42 am

Nothing about this case was making the least bit of sense, and none of the pieces fell into any sort of place that would work to Lorick's advantage. It all added up to a mystery he couldn't solve, and he was quickly beginning to think it would be better to cut his losses and just leave. Let the case be solved by these over-eager monks. Who cares if an ambassador was murdered, anyway? It wasn't like Ravok didn't have plenty of them.

According to those who'd been at the crime scene, the man was murdered by a wailer, a creature made from sound who could look like anyone. The wailer was dining with the man, and was clearly disguised as someone that the man knew. It would certainly explain the growling sound that the maid heard, but other parts of this case still didn't add up.

If it was a wailer, what possessed it to strike at this particular target? Monsters were either intelligent or they were not. Lorick was of the firm opinion that, deep down, everyone and everything was exactly like him. Selfish and self-serving. And so, if this creature murdered the ambassador it must've been for a reason. Because if there was no reason, then it was just a random slaying. And if that were true, surely the wailer would have struck again by now; they'd be hearing of yet another body mangled in its home.

So now he was to interview another of the Ravokian ambassadors. This time, Lorick determined to keep his Djed use to a minimum, and reserve it for a true emergency. While his trick with "Lorraine" worked well with the maid, it may not serve him so well here. In addition, against this man, Hypnotism might well reward him more than simply changing his appearance. Not to mention, he once again had not brought a change of clothes, and the man would undoubtedly notice that fact, unlike the emotional maid.

"Greetings, Larien," Lorick began, giving him the stare that most people apparently feel to be unnerving. "And yes, I am here to question you. To begin, would you mind telling me what the political ramifications of this murder would be?"

It all boiled down to politics in the end. Lorick was not convinced that the murder was an accident; the work of a random wailer. It was too... neat, too pat. Too convenient. And in the end, he was still convinced there had to be a political motivation to this entire thing. But who could have convinced a wailer to kill for them? And why a wailer? Why not a drop of poison in a glass of wine?

Lorick didn't bother rehashing questions already asked. Xeona had confirmed the man did not appear to have any enemies, and while he may swing around to that question to try to trip this "Larien" up later, for now he needed other information. If it was a wailer, then it mattered little who the wailer impersonated. What mattered was why the wailer killed the man, and to determine that, Lorick needed to know who benefited most from his death.

That which benefits me most.

Lorick almost smiled. It was still the most useful creed in the world.

Boxcode by Savio
Lorick Trahern
Trust Me

Words: 24292
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 10:04 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Xeona on November 8th, 2013, 5:23 am

This case was just getting more and more confusing. According to the ones at the crime scene, this wailer thing was apparently the killer. That's just what they needed right now, a killer that literally could be anyone. "Let's just get this over with." Xeona thought, as he entered the room once again.

As he did, he was greeted with a stare which, in Xeona's eyes, looked like an attempt to unnerve him. Xeona just decided to act like normal. "Alright, we'll start off by asking for your name, please."

Boxcode by Savio
Don't mind me, just passing though...

"Xeona's speech" "Xeona's thoughts" "Describing stuff" "NPC talks"
Xeona
Sorry to pop in unannounced

Words: 28603
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2013, 6:14 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Abstract on November 10th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Larien was a little taken aback by Lorick's bluntness, but let it slide with a weak smile. The question, however, caused him to frown, and he glanced down, thinking. "Well..." he mused, tapping his fingers on the table in thought. "Someone doesn't want Ravok and Nyka to get close? Maybe they had a personal vendetta against the man. With politics in Ravok... that's not unusual... honestly, that's all I can think of at the moment. I apologies that I can not give any... better reasons." He shrugged sadly, a little put down by the lack of an answer he'd given.

Lorick seemingly done with his questions, Saliss leaned forward herself, propping her arms on the table. "To give you an introduction of my companion, he isss called Lorick. Now... Larien, tell usss about yourssself. Hobbies? Passssionsss?" Her current question done, the Dhani eyed the ambassador for a moment.

The man hesitated at the odd question, frowning slightly. "Well... I am a people person, I guess... Oh, and I play the lute, and sing. A small hobby of mine. Most of the other ambassadors find it strange, to be honest." He chuckled lightly, before smiling at Saliss. "But why ask?" He frowned at that, and the next answer caused the expression to deepen. "Jussst curiousss"

------

"My name is Norman Alejandro" the ambassador said, glancing up at the ghost without a trace of emotion. His answer was blunt, and to the point, with no eloquence in sight...

OOCGah, sorry Xeona... he's a man of few words, so there was little I could say. Try and add more questions, guys!
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Previous