Flashback [Kandukta Basin] As Bad As You Want To Breathe

Kaie learns what must be done to reach her goals in the long run.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

[Kandukta Basin] As Bad As You Want To Breathe

Postby Kaie on September 8th, 2013, 9:46 pm

First of Summer, 509 AV
6th Bell

She had no idea what to expect. Of course her father had told her miraculous stories about combat before, but the one about his best friend Yitmah and the Dhani? That was one always her favorite. Kaie had asked him to repeat it so often she was sure she could recite it word for word herself. Every detail was captured in her memory. She could practically see it all. The cry of the warriors, the Dhani constrictor squeezing around Yitmah with bone crushing force. Most of all, she could see the Myrian man in the Fang who finally slayed it. Since her childhood, Yitmah had become a legend. A myth really for her imagination to play with. Though Keritan, always humble, never boasted up the Dhani killing, he did enjoy talking about Yitmah. Apparently they had become great friends since the encounter. Closer than they had been before the Dhani damaged his back so many years ago. Even when the man left the military to recover, Keritan had still remained his closest confidant.

When her father had told her Yitmah would be her mentor while he left Falyndar for work, Kaie didn't know how to react. The man was a fantastic warrior. The ideal Myrian soldier who reinforced their race's fierce reputation. Ruthless and respected. They say he would've been a tiger rider if not for his injury. Yet he had been nothing but a concept to her all along. Just a name without a face. Without meaning. Now he was going to take over her training where her father left off? Following Keritan into Taloba to meet Yitmah was one of the most anxious moments of her life. The walk through the city seemed like a whole lifetime in itself. If not for her paranoia about making a good first impression, she might've shook a bit.

Kaie remembered being led up to the man finally. He was standing there by a tavern like a jungle tree. Perfect posture despite his injury. He was tattooed and pierced heavily with jet back hair. A hulking figure though fit and lean from jungle running. All in all the middle aged, washed out warrior lived up to the stories. He glowered down at her with jet black eyes, neutrally. Her father did most of the talking until he asked her her name, which she gave willingly. All the while her fists were clenched and her expression was wild. Intense and bold. Confident. She was trying to display herself as the fierce warrior woman she was to grow to be. Kaie wanted him to see that in her immediately. She'd never forget his words when he spoke directly to her.

"What do you want, little mistress?" He asked objectively, brow pulled together as he stared down at her. Waiting for her response. Something told her she had better think of something better than kicking Dhani ass.

"I want to be a Tiger Rider. I want to bring glory to the Goddess Queen and spill blood for her. I want to prove myself worthy to Her," Kaie said evenly with finality. Conviction ringing in her tone and a fire coming to her eyes. Yitmah only stared down at her. Searching her eyes and oncing her over.

"Tomorrow. When Syna's ray's first touch the sky you will meet me at the edge of the Basin. Just you.

And then he was gone. Bright and early, Kaie had awoken that next morning to meet her mentor as instructed. The young Myrian hustled through the trees hoping to beat Yitmah there and impress him. Much to her disdain he had already been there. By the way he stood there with his arms hanging behind him, he had been waiting for some time. Kaie walked toward him. When she was only a yard away, she stopped. Waiting for instruction.

"You have come for me to make a soldier out of you, Kaie?" His voice was booming and intimidating. Still the young warrior woman stood, ready to affirm him. Kaie nodded sharply in agreement.

"How badly do you want to become worthy of our Goddess Queen?"

"There is nothing else. There is no other option for me," She answered solidly with a fire in her eyes. Her expression was dark, hostile, and focused. Kaie knew what was coming. She was waiting for the brutal training to begin. Would he hit her? Swing a surprise blade at her? The Myrian girl was anxious with anticipation. Curious as to what would come next. It wasn't quite what she expected.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kaie on September 9th, 2013, 12:31 am

"Get in the water," He commanded suddenly, arm extended toward the Kandukta Basin pointing to the flooding waters. Kaie looked at him strangely but obeyed. She took a few steps toward its edges, felt the cool water on the tips of her toes. She turned around to look at Yitmah once like she was seeing if he was dead serious. He was. And so she stepped into the water until she was waist deep and then turned to face him.

"Farther."

Now her brow drew together a bit. She did not understand. Her father had told her Yitmah was going to train her to fight. Teach her to kill and defend herself. How to glorify Myri above all. And here he was telling her to get into the petching Basin? She told him she wanted to be a warrior, not a fish. What was the point of all this? Yet she obeyed, wading out further into the water until he told her to stop.

When he finally halted her, she was up to her shoulders and more confused than ever. Yitmah walked in after her with an expression as blank as a fresh canvas. He made a gesture with his hands, urging her to step even farther into the waters. That's when Kaie started to get annoyed. What was he doing? How was this helping her to accomplish anything other than earn her some pruney fingers? Still she moved on until the line was just up to her chin. Eyes stared at him like "is this enough now or do you want me to drown myself?" Apparently that's exactly what he wanted her to do.

Without warning Yitmah grabbed her head and shoved her under the water. Kaie hardly managed to suck in any air at all before she was forced down. Eyes bugged out of her head in surprise and natural fear. She thrashed wildly, trying to kick and claw at him. Anything to free herself. Yet nothing she did phased him. His hands still forced her upper body down. When she opened her eyes, all she saw was mud. It was too murky to make much out. Not even the shadow of a fish. Nothing just darkness. Her lungs burned, begging for air she could not give them. She could feel it rushing through her, that adrenaline. But it was all for nothing. For quickly she was running out. Fading toward that blackness as dark as the bottom of the Basin. Kaie was drowning. And there was nothing she could do.

Suddenly she was torn back from the water and dragged onto the shore again. She sputtered out water, gagging and choking. Her lungs welcomed the air like she had been starved of it for days. Kaie was grasping, eyes refocusing and seeing the looming Myrian man over her. His expression was harsh and brutal, eyes black and cold. The man was out of his mind! Had he known he wasn't just drowned her?!

"Let me ask you something. When you were under water, what did you want to do?" He asked her coldly without remorse. He held her down on the ground, one hand pressing her near arm into the dirt and the other holding down her far shoulder. Clearly she wasn't going to be getting up anytime soon. Considering the fact she was still hacking up water, it didn't seem like that would be a problem for him. She stared up at him like he was an idiot. Was this some kind of experiment? That was some petching trick question?

"Breathe" She gasped, letting a new rush of oxygen fill her lungs. He released his hold on her, though his face got closer to hers. He lifted his fist toward her face. He rose his index finger from his clenched hand and pointed it down at her face.

"If you want to succeed as badly as you want to breathe, you'll be successful, Kaie. There is no other way. You have to want it bad. Most of the recruits that walk into those Training Yards? They just kind of want it. If you want to prove yourself, you need to want it more than you want to sleep. More than you want to eat. Make sacrifices. Train everyday in everything you do. Now get up."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on September 9th, 2013, 12:56 am

She stared up at him, blinking and coming back to normal breathing. Yitmah stood up and backed away from her, gesturing her to get back to her feet. Kaie groaned internally, but his words still reverberated in her head. She honestly hadn't absorbed their wisdom quite yet. Not until she was back on her feet and looking at the woman. Then she felt it. How it was for drown. The way her whole body became possessed by the need to breathe. Right as she felt as though she were going to pass out and give in with nothing left, she felt nothing. Nothing seemed to matter. Kaie no longer had felt his hands on her head. She quit her thrashing, growing tired of it. Her lungs heaved and that was all she focused on. That lack of air. And that's when she understood what Yitmah had challenged her to do. He was right.

"Get back in the water."

She did as he said, feeling the chilling waters slide up to her shoulders. He barked the orders, demanding she swim back and forth. Kaie would swim out far, never knowing when to stop until his voice came. And then she'd turn around and swim back toward him, repeating the process. Back and forth. Back and forth. Syna was full over the edges of the horizon when her muscles began to tire. Each rising and falling of her arms was exhausting. The kicking of her legs took more energy than she had. Even treading water was a challenge to her. Yet she couldn't stop or else she would surely drown. She didn't need her mentor dragging her out unconscious and dropping her off at her clan's doorstep like that. She had to keep going. And that was all she knew.

Kaie kept treading, expression tense and body weight. Her body began to slow and her breathing became labored again. She felt as though she was slowly sinking under the edges of the water. Falling back into the depths like before. From the shore Yitmah could see that. He could see the grit of her teeth and the hopelessness in her eyes though she kept going. Her muscles had never been in so much agony. She had to stop.

"What you're in pain? Does it hurt? If you're going to ever cry, don't do it because you want to quit, cry to keep going. You're already in pain, Kaie. Get a reward from it! Earn for yourself! Make it worth the suffering!" He encouraged with a shout from the edges.

She kept going, struggling until she was sure she'd die from exhaustion. And then he called her in. She practically dragged herself to the edge of the jungle. Heaving and coughing up water she accidentally inhaled in her struggle. Fingers tore at the moss covered ground and she hoisted herself completely onto dry land. Kaie didn't even bother getting up, her muscles burning from all the swimming. He was completely out of his mind, but she was far too weak to tell him that. All she wanted to do was sleep.

"You want to make a real sacrifice? Make it right here. Give up what you are for what you will become. Sacrifice your present weakness for the strength you will have in future. Persevere toward what you will become. There is no greater gift to give the Goddess Queen than that of the moment you shed your weakness for her strength." He said to her, staring down at the girl whose eyes were too weak to even stay completely opened. The blades of grass fluttered with each slow breath she made, but she could give him no reply. Only the words sunk into her slowly. But powerfully.

"I will leave you now to make that sacrifice. Then go home. Rest. We begin your training tomorrow at the Arena.

And then he was gone.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on September 9th, 2013, 1:08 am

Her eyelids were heavy and her eyes were hardly completely open. She focused on her breathing and just staying awake at all. She was alone in the jungle. Left to her own weakness. Her own pain. This was her struggle and Yitmah had left her to brave it alone. Just as it should be. She was Myrian though and she was never alone. All she could hope was that nothing would slither from the waters behind her and drag her back under. Still with the level of her exhaustion she felt that was the least of her worries.

"Goddess Queen. Mother. Hear your daughter on this day. I have disgraced you with my weakness. With my shortcoming and my blindness to you. I am nothing but your clay now. Myri, open my eyes and teach me to see. Guide my fists and be the sharp edge of my blades. Set your fire in my heart. Show me the path to your glory and cloak me in the blood of your enemies. For I, Kaie of the Cutthroat Shadows, am your blade forged by your love, wisdom, and ferocity. My life is yours. From this day forward I will be no longer weak. I shall grow stronger and more deadly in your light. Let me prove my worth to you." Kaie prayed with conviction and passion, rising slowly to her knees as she began. Eventually her confidence and spirit built, bringing her back to her feet slowly.

When she finished her covenant with Myri, Kaie made her way sluggishly through the brush. Stumbling back to the longhouse where she'd fall into her bed and sleep until she could no more. Yitmah would surely show her no mercy the next day.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on September 11th, 2013, 2:07 pm

The next morning when Kaie woke, bleary eyed, sore and hurting from the training, every muscle calling her to get back into bed though she knew she had to refuse, a glint in the pre-dawn light caught her eye right next to one of the legs of her cot. Reaching down towards it, her hand nearly nicked itself on a sharp edge, but as fingers coiled around the object and draw it to her face she can see what it is: A gleaming spear head. Heavy and metal, but of a dark steel the little Warrioress would be hard placed to identify. It is simple in design and work, but elegant in it's simplicity, and even there in her hand it seemed to call to be attached to something so it could make a proper spear.

Who left it? Well that would be hard to say, certainly not Yitmah...but he wasn't the only one Kaie had spoken to that day.

Kaie

Skill XP Earned
Endurance 2 XP
Observation 2 XP
Philosophy 1 XP
Rhetoric 2 XP
Swimming 1 XP

Lores Earned
Yitmah: The Man of Legend
Doesn't Training Involve Fighting?
Learning of the Struggle for Strength
Asking Myri for Forgiveness

Inventory:

+ 1 Darksteel Spearhead

Additional Comments :
So this was a great thread! These solos are nice and short, but still very enjoyable, they speak a lot about this very Myrian desire, but starting from the bottom in order to find the top. Hope you liked the little addition!

Yes, I Bite.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)