Skills and Martial Arts

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Skills and Martial Arts

Postby Rysmarin on September 12th, 2013, 9:57 pm

New Skills
(WIP)

Some of these may have already been suggested and/or implemented. I apologize in advance for any such redundancies that may occur.

Aeronautics
The study and/or practice of flight, as well as the understanding of how air moves. An aeronaut understands air currents and aerodynamics, and can apply them (if able) to perform skillful maneuvers mid-flight.

Prerequisite: None
Related: Acrobatics, physics.

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Concealment
The practice of completely hiding something or someone from detection. For example, palming a coin, hiding a weapon on your person, or simply staying still and silent in the shadows. Concealment works hand in hand with stealth.

Prerequisite: None
Related: Stealth, Camouflage, Misdirection

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Etymology
The study of the history of language and words. An etymologist understands the root language and how that language has evolved over the years. As such, they can often pick up languages with greater ease and understand a broad variety of dialects.

Prerequisite: At least basic skill in the ancient tongue, Nader-chanoch.
Related: Linguistics, Writing

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Improvisation
The art of using everything in one's environment and mind to their advantage. Improvisation can be used for entertainment to act out impromptu scenes or ad-libbed songs. It is also useful in combat, often turning the environment and creativity of the improv artist into a weapon in and of itself.

Prerequisite: none
Related: Acting, dancing, singing, play musical instrument, tactics, weaponry

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Linguistics
The study of current languages and dialects across Mizahar and her races. Linguists have a very basic understanding of the structure of all language, and, given time, can often decipher and translate language they don't understand.

Prerequisite: Cryptography, at least two fluent languages (kelvic's beast language does not count)
Related: Etymology, writing

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Marksman
The ability to strike a precise target with a projectile or thrown weapon regardless of distance or other such factors. Marksmen, sometimes referred to as snipers, are often heralded as the absolute masters of true long range combat... though they are not exactly ones for hand-to-hand death matches. As such, some marksmen go the way of the unseen killer, silently sending arrows from a hidden location into the hearts of their targets, smearing the art of the bow with guile and fear.

Prerequisite: Skill with a bow, crossbow, or thrown weapon
Related: Observation, Sneak, Concealment, Camouflage

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Misdirection
The practice of drawing attention from one's actions or target through distraction and slight of hand. For example, to pick someone's pocket easily, one can bump into said person as the distraction, then reach into their pockets unnoticed.

Prerequisite: Stealth
Related: Stage Craft, Concealment

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Stage Craft
The art of drawing and maintaining the attention of a crowd through the use of props, costumes, and/or tools. Those skilled in stage craft know how to enrapture their audience and draw them into their performance.

Prerequisite: none
Related: Most skills can be used in concert with stage craft. Skills like carpentry or masonry can make the props, dancing and singing make up the body of the performance, and observation could provide the knowledge of one's audience to better judge their reactions.

Novice:
Competent:
Expert:
Master:

Martial Arts

list :
Fist of Wysar - A standing style practiced by many races developed by the Akalak. Built from a very aggressive stance, this style focuses on quick punches, well formed kicks, and a decent blocking and parrying.

The Coils - A grappling style developed by the Dhani. Focuses on fast kicks and strong throws that usually lead into a constrictive ground fight.

Grassland Storm - A defensive style developed by the Drykas. Focused on dodging or parrying blows and grabs with strong kicks, this style gives much better than it receives.

Submission - A mostly standing style developed by the Eypharian. Unsurprisingly consists mostly of what looks like a series of quick, furious flurries of punches to the untrained eye. Almost entirely focused on attack.

Hammer Fist - An offensive standing style developed by the Isur. Actually focused on feints and quick strikes meant to hinder or cripple the opponent that lead up to one spectacular final blow.

Silent Web - Developed by the Symenestra. A "dirty" marial art that focuses on first hindering the senses by whatever means neccesary, then subduing the target with a sudden strike. Students of the silent web are taught that a tactical withdrawal if this strike fails is not the same as defeat.

The Unseen Path - Developed by the Konti. An deceptively slow, fluid form of martial arts that doesn't dodge, but rather absorbs blows and repays them in full using the offender's own momentum.

Py-Ken - Developed and practiced solely by the Pycon. It focuses on the elasticity of the pycon body, using the entirety of their mass to lash at a foe for strikes or to entangle and cripple them.

Naturally, this list is mostly simply to establish an existing base for martial arts in Mizahar. It is in no way exhaustive, nor is it meant to be.

I also have a few ideas for monsters, but... well, not entirely sure how to go about that. Races, too, but I'm pretty sure those'd be rejected on principle. Oh well, I'm sure the stuff I have here will more than suffice once it's more or less complete and I submit it to the help desk.

Last edited by Rysmarin on September 13th, 2013, 5:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Rysmarin
<(^.^<) ~ ^(^o^)^ ~ (>^.^)>
The Laughing Jackal
"Vani" - "Common" - "Jackal Speak"
Rysmarin
Golden Jackal

Words: 56657
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2013, 6:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Journal

Idea Storm (systems, skills, and a little magic)

Postby Kit Rowan on September 13th, 2013, 12:59 am

x
I will admit I have not read all of what you said in detail, but I have read enough to understand that what you're getting at is a total overhall of the skill system, a change to many weapon systems and more. Which is . . . just not going to happen, I'll be frank.

Remember now, our systems have been in place, operational and effective for years. People have had years to get used to them, years to build their characters like this, and it's worked just fine. There is really no reason whatsoever to make such sweeping changes to the game, just cause you happened to find some things unintuitive. That's just what happens when you reduce real world things to gaming abstractions. The system works, and why fix what isn't broken?

New skills on the other hand are welcome, and you can test the waters for them here, but before you can officially begin to develop it you must go into the Help Desk and ask for permission. Though keep in mind you are not limited to the skills in the skill list; so long as you're not stomping on other skills and aren't essentially inventing magic, I think you're fine. When it comes to the specific skills you've suggested, while I am not sure about the rest, I know that flexibility and its benefits are generally considered to be a subset of acrobatics.

Magic on the other hand, players cannot make. Only founders can, just like gnosis and gods. This is not a negotiable rule.
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Idea Storm (systems, skills, and a little magic)

Postby Rysmarin on September 13th, 2013, 2:33 am

I was already aware that my ideas were outlandish and that posting them would probably be a moot point, thus the introductory blurb at the very beginning. In fact, I was almost certain the skill system at the very least would be dismissed out of hand as something that would be an issue to implement, not to mention that it is a little more complicated than necessary for a more-or-less casual RP. Still, I did not mean to imply I thought anything was broken or intuitive! In reality, I just wanted to help in whatever way I can by offering my opinions. To that end, I removed the skill system section... but not the weapon section.

I still believe there to be a valid point there, and if I turn out to be wrong, then at the very least the unarmed section might prove useful. In the end, I don't really see my proposed weapon system as an overhaul, but rather a simple re-imagining or expansion. Literally no changes to character sheets would be necessary until the characters were awarded the new lores, which I've seen happens regularly, anyway. Characters with weapon:flamberge wouldn't need to actively take up the skill weapon style:greatsword unless they wanted to because the root system doesn't change, just expands.

I did read the rules... mostly, but not for laziness lack of trying. I am simply having a bit of difficulty finding some of them, like the rule you mentioned about not creating magic. I am also aware that flexibility is listed as a form of acrobatics, but in my opinion, that seems to give acrobatics too broad a spectrum. Still, I concede the point, and have removed the conflicting skill from my suggestions. I did not mean to, as you said, stomp on the other skills.

Returning to the point of magic, I do sincerely apologize if I overstepped any bounds, but I figured I'd try to get my ideas out there in case any of them are worth noticing. I have removed it as well to try and avoid further confrontation on this point.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for your brutally honest critique! It's probably fairly obvious, but I was (and still am, to an extent,) unsure what is and is not appropriate to post here, and I appreciate the help in clarifying that.

Rysmarin
The Laughing Jackal
Rysmarin
Golden Jackal

Character sheet
Journal

Idea Storm (systems and skills)

Postby Kit Rowan on September 13th, 2013, 3:15 am

x
Feel free to make your suggestions, but do not expect anyone to implement them. The current style of combat skills has functioned well throughout the long history of the site. Some logical breaks are inevitable in a world governed by gaming abstractions, and having a consistent, and more importantly simple way to determine your character's skill at combat is more important than being as close to real as possible.
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Wrenmae on September 13th, 2013, 4:30 am

I will however step in to say that I would love to see some articles written up on your unarmed styles. I think most of the naming is appropriate and the styles different enough to be of use for the site...personally.

Even if your ideas are not taken, we do appreciate your willingness to suggest and try to improve Mizahar. Of course getting through the approval process is a must for these things, but being good about taking Kit's criticism is a good step. Some folk are really defensive of their ideas, and end up losing the whole of the concept simply by acting immature when their ideas don't take.

If some of your ideas don't go through, I encourage you to take the ones that will fit in our current system and develop them more fully (Asking for HD permission to develop an article)

Thanks for your input!

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rysmarin on September 13th, 2013, 5:16 am

@Kit: It saddens me to do so, but I realize my logic on this was flawed, so I've retracted the weapon style suggestion. In truth, I believed my weapon to be simpler, since it was possible for it to use a smaller number of skills overall and it was significantly more realistic. (That just tends to be how my mind works.) I realize now, however, that it would actually be impossible to make a simpler weapon system than mizahar's current one.

@Wrenmae: At this point, I really appreciate the vote of confidence. I'll admit that I was getting a bit discouraged at the crushing blow to my lofty ideals, so it's good to hear a positive voice. Also, I do intend to submit these ideas, (now, in fact,) but my key goal for posting this thread first was to weed out the really bad ideas before I wasted everyone's time.

Rysmarin
The Laughing Jackal
Rysmarin
Golden Jackal

Character sheet
Journal

Skills and Martial Arts

Postby Wrenmae on September 13th, 2013, 6:55 am

I appreciate the way you're handling the criticism as well. Keep creating and stuf will stick.

Thanks for your time and contribution :P

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Skills and Martial Arts

Postby Acteon Zulaca on September 13th, 2013, 8:35 am

I read your op and just wanted to say I like the ideas of new fighting styles. I personally think that they would currently all fit under Unarmed Combat, even ones not listed or made yet. The way I personally interpret it is like any other skill, Novice are versed in one, Competent might be proficient in two, Experts might be elite in one or versed in three, so on and so forth. Then again, you can't put real life logic to a Mizahar skill, you just can't. There are too many factors, like how spears are spears and most swords are just swords even though there are many different schoolings of them rather than just "Weapon - Swords" and each is slightly unique in some way. Sometimes the skills are broad, sometimes too narrow. I think you've done a decent job running with that system though.

What I must disagree with you on however is in saying that you realized the weapon system cannot be any simpler. It would be nice if the weapons were grouped together a bit more based on their obvious commonalities. For example, slashing swords, thrusting swords, throwing spears, thrusting spears, backhand daggers, et cetera. I know a crescent sword is nothing like a gladius in form or use, but it would be nice to not have to learn the gladius separate from e.g. a broadsword and every other derivative of a broadsword. I don't think anyone actually wants to earn a million points in a bunch of different weapon types that are only remotely different and function the same. I know the system is never going to change so I'm just howling in the wind, but I thought I'd share that with you to sympathize with your original ideas for change.

Having an idea never hurt anybody. Not unless it's something dangerous and you actually act on it, maybe, but having one never hurts! If I may make a suggestion, keep up the good work with the martial arts. Maybe a general "Martial Arts" skill using the learning curve from my first paragraph would stick, I could see that being accepted. You could also make styles that integrate a certain function or use of one kind of weapon, that might also stick, but nothing too broad or extensive like Marksmanship which includes too many types of weapons and not a unique enough form.

On another note, Posting up Martial Arts as a skill would benefit from having at least one from each capable race or culture. That would probably require domain storyteller permissions from each culture involved. Then you could post it in the Help Desk as one skill type with the various forms to choose from throughout the skill levels (just my two cents). I can very much see that working out. Unarmed Combat, Brawling, Boxing and Wrestling are all different skills yet they follow similar principles. I find Martial Arts being in the same situation.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next, if you continue to come up with stuff and I enjoyed reading about it.
ON HIATUS - [strike]Until I replace my old broken computer[/strike] Returning the 1st of Winter season!
Acteon Zulaca
Dire and Dynastic

Words: 13005
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Skills and Martial Arts

Postby Rysmarin on September 14th, 2013, 1:43 am

Acteon Zulaca wrote:I read your op and just wanted to say I like the ideas of new fighting styles. I personally think that they would currently all fit under Unarmed Combat, even ones not listed or made yet. The way I personally interpret it is like any other skill, Novice are versed in one, Competent might be proficient in two, Experts might be elite in one or versed in three, so on and so forth. ...-

Thank you for the input and bringing up this particular point. While I understand why you think that way, I happen to disagree. If these martial arts are not sufficient to become skills of their own right, then the requisite forms to practice a particular style would most likely be more suited to being lores rather than be subsumed by the unarmed combat skill. My reasoning behind this is that mastering a martial art is a learning process. You must first learn the basics such as stance and the proper way to throw a punch, then move on to intermediate, then advanced skills to truly master just one.

Acteon Zulaca wrote:-... Then again, you can't put real life logic to a Mizahar skill, you just can't. There are too many factors, like how spears are spears and most swords are just swords even though there are many different schoolings of them rather than just "Weapon - Swords" and each is slightly unique in some way. Sometimes the skills are broad, sometimes too narrow. I think you've done a decent job running with that system though.

What I must disagree with you on however is in saying that you realized the weapon system cannot be any simpler. It would be nice if the weapons were grouped together a bit more based on their obvious commonalities. For example, slashing swords, thrusting swords, throwing spears, thrusting spears, backhand daggers, et cetera. I know a crescent sword is nothing like a gladius in form or use, but it would be nice to not have to learn the gladius separate from e.g. a broadsword and every other derivative of a broadsword. I don't think anyone actually wants to earn a million points in a bunch of different weapon types that are only remotely different and function the same. I know the system is never going to change so I'm just howling in the wind, but I thought I'd share that with you to sympathize with your original ideas for change. ...-

The way you describe it is the way I originally imagined the system when I wrote it. However, while it is simpler to imagine, it is complex when compared to the current system to implement and use. First of all, story tellers would have to constantly pay attention to what weapons are used in a thread, then look up weapons just to figure out which style would be appropriate to award experience. Second, it forces players to sift through and consider each style that utilizes the weapon they want. While styles would be prettier on a sheet and more logical when in use, its mechanics are "unwieldy," if you can excuse the pun.

The style system I proposed introduces a sort of web, where each weapon can belong to multiple styles and every style can be used with multiple different weapons. The current system is a 1:1 ratio of weapon and fighting style. That is how I realized the current system is much more simple.

Acteon Zulaca wrote:-... Having an idea never hurt anybody. Not unless it's something dangerous and you actually act on it, maybe, but having one never hurts! If I may make a suggestion, keep up the good work with the martial arts. Maybe a general "Martial Arts" skill using the learning curve from my first paragraph would stick, I could see that being accepted. You could also make styles that integrate a certain function or use of one kind of weapon, that might also stick, but nothing too broad or extensive like Marksmanship which includes too many types of weapons and not a unique enough form. ...-

Marksmanship is not intended to be broad. It is meant solely for long- to extremely long-range combat. The reason it utilizes multiple kinds of ranged weapons is because standard marksmanship and thrown weapon handling is easily explainable and covered under their respective weapon skills. Still, I will cut thrown weapons from the list it utilizes, since you do make a valid point.

Acteon Zulaca wrote:-... On another note, Posting up Martial Arts as a skill would benefit from having at least one from each capable race or culture. That would probably require domain storyteller permissions from each culture involved. Then you could post it in the Help Desk as one skill type with the various forms to choose from throughout the skill levels (just my two cents). I can very much see that working out. Unarmed Combat, Brawling, Boxing and Wrestling are all different skills yet they follow similar principles. I find Martial Arts being in the same situation. ...-

I am still trying come up with styles for every race. For example, I have an idea running through my head for the beast styles of the kelvic. However, that list of seven new styles are the first seven I was able to come up with, and while I will probably come up with more later, I will likely just go through the submission process again for them. The reason for that is the amount I've already suggested, even with the cuts I made prior, is kind of large, thus requiring extensive research of everyone involved just to keep it moderately realistic, simple, and within the bounds of Mizahar's lore.

Acteon Zulaca wrote:-... I look forward to seeing what you come up with next, if you continue to come up with stuff and I enjoyed reading about it.

Thank you again for your input, and I most certainly do not intend to stop once this project is finished. As I mentioned prior, I still have plenty of ideas for monsters, martial arts, and I may end up coming back with more skills.
Rysmarin
The Laughing Jackal
Rysmarin
Golden Jackal

Character sheet
Journal

Skills and Martial Arts

Postby Licearsvansan on September 14th, 2013, 9:06 pm

If I may make a quick recomendation...

The founders and storytellers do appreciate the help from forum goers however they STRONGLY encourage that you get a fair deal of in-character posts under your belt before offering critisims or suggestions.

This is not because they hate new players but rather that people offering to change the game before even getting their feet wet tend to come accross as saying that they think their own ideas are better than the way things have already been running for years. Regardless of intention.

Its also because the lore on Mizahar is so massive that it tends to take a good deal of time before you even pierce the surface of Mizahar. Despite having nearly 300 post and existing on the site for several months, I still am learning new things all the time. We of course apreciate the help, but if you want to see your ideas implemented then I recomend that you let yourself soak a good bit more in the waters of Mizahar's existing world before trying to add anything.

Reading the lores of Mizahar gives you the knowledge needed to play it, but its not until you have played sufficiently in the world that you actually begin to understand how it works and how it can be improved.

To hide his dhani nature from anyone, Svan has taken measures to hide his lisp. As such, he will not have any extra "ssss" on his words unless indicated otherwise.
Licearsvansan
Reforming Dhani

Words: 361391
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2012, 1:56 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next